IMG_2811 (resized).JPG
IMG_2809 (resized).JPG
IMG_2810 (resized).JPG
IMG_2808 (resized).JPG
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 14.04.07 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 10.36.47 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 10.21.09 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 6,717 posts in this topic. You are on page 100 of 135.
#4951 2 years ago
Quoted from G35R6:

I agree with this 100%!
I recently picked up a HUO RFM from the original owner in original condition. I'm terrified of upgrading anything and don't know what I'll do if I go to turn it on someday and it doesn't boot up. I doubt I'll ever update anything unless it's broken.
You might as well be writing this in Chinese - but I love it.

Haha - I just know I will buy and update whatever applejuice comes up with. The work is phenomenal even though to date I’ve only upgraded the software. Remedying that soon, getting ready to buy the 6-ball mod and shaker

#4952 2 years ago
Quoted from erikie:

It will not work in nucore as it does not support the 8mb flash chip.

This is something that i need to sort out as all this work must keep the pinbox and nucore people included, aswell as the upgraded prism folk. I really dont want to leave anyone behind. I just tried the test update i made on my own pinbox install and it works fine. I'll drop you a pm so we can share whats different.

#4953 2 years ago
Quoted from erikie:

If I look at the internals it could even be that they took into account what size the flash rom is. I will try to mimic the bigger flashrom in my code and see if it moves the cmos to the new address then we are good to go

Edit:

Quoted from applejuice:

This is something that i need to sort out as all this work must keep the pinbox and nucore people included, aswell as the upgraded prism folk. I really dont want to leave anyone behind. I just tried the test update i made on my own pinbox install and it works fine. I'll drop you a pm so we can share whats different.

Pinbox is nucore without the check for the usb protection. So of it works om pinbox it should also work on nucore
I was assuming they hardcoded the 4 mb identification codes into the code

#4954 2 years ago
Quoted from erikie:

Pinbox is nucore without the check for the usb protection. So of it works om pinbox it should also work on nucore
I was assuming they hardcoded the 4 mb identification codes into the code

Didn't the Nucore guys eventually release a version without the protection? I thought I read that somewhere.... I've never used either, so I don't know.

#4955 2 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

Didn't the Nucore guys eventually release a version without the protection? I thought I read that somewhere.... I've never used either, so I don't know.

That is correct. Version 2.25 if I am not misstaken. However pinbox was based on an earlier version

#4956 2 years ago
Quoted from erikie:

That is correct. Version 2.25 if I am not misstaken. However pinbox was based on an earlier version

Great, that's what I thought. Why are people still using the bootleg pinbox then? Is it because it's easier to get set up?

#4957 2 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

Haha - I just know I will buy and update whatever applejuice comes up with. The work is phenomenal even though to date I’ve only upgraded the software. Remedying that soon, getting ready to buy the 6-ball mod and shaker

I would love to upgrade all this stuff - I'm just afraid that I'll screw something up and then be left there scratching my head, or worse, ruining an internal part that can't be replaced.

Earlier this year I upgraded the ROM in my Road Show to the latest code - pull out correct chip, replace with new chip. I thought I was THE MAN!

#4958 2 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

Great, that's what I thought. Why are people still using the bootleg pinbox then? Is it because it's easier to get set up?

I think people use the bootleg because they didn't have to pay for the software; it was a ripoff of Nucore. I have infinite respect for the Nucore team; they brought my machine back to life with a great product and I was happy to support their efforts.

#4959 2 years ago

Experimental…

6B316A2A-8079-4554-8A65-FDC4083AA2D1 (resized).jpeg6B316A2A-8079-4554-8A65-FDC4083AA2D1 (resized).jpeg

#4960 2 years ago

Sneak peak. This will be included in the std version. ‘Alien attack at the abandoned amusement park’ sound familiar? Now reality

E65B3DFE-C187-4DAA-99B7-4F5282898089 (resized).jpegE65B3DFE-C187-4DAA-99B7-4F5282898089 (resized).jpeg

#4961 2 years ago

My game is out of order for a month or so until my monitor gets fixed. If anyone wants me to mail them my prism card to get upgraded let me know! I'll gladly pay and be a guinea pig!

#4962 2 years ago
Quoted from Zee:

I think people use the bootleg because they didn't have to pay for the software; it was a ripoff of Nucore. I have infinite respect for the Nucore team; they brought my machine back to life with a great product and I was happy to support their efforts.

Nucore is no longer selling their product, and the latest version (unprotected) is available for free. So my question still stands. Why are people still using pinbox? My guess is that they are just following some old online guides that step them through the pinbox installation process.

#4963 2 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Sneak peak. This will be included in the std version. ‘Alien attack at the abandoned amusement park’ sound familiar? Now reality
[quoted image]

Ha - Amazing!

#4964 2 years ago

Hi friends. I stumbled into a lovely old neglected RFM on 1.4. For the life of me I can’t figure out how to get it to award replays instead of extra balls. I searched this thread but this doesn’t seem to be a common issue. Any wild ideas about what I should try? Already did a factory reset. Screenshot attached. Score award options are “extra ball”, “ticket,” and “audit” and for the life of me I can’t figure out how to enable the top option.

I’m on a hair trigger to buy applejuice’s update software and a usb-to-serial gizmo for my Mac. Is it likely that whatever weird glitch I’m experiencing was solved along the way to 2.21? What else should I try? Thanks all.

ETA: figured it out. Enter the menu and hit enter again while “Replay” is active. If you move the cursor off “replay” it’s unavailable. Back out of the menu and go in again :facepalm:

2C82BAFF-4C81-4BB1-962A-C2CBDE39511A (resized).jpeg2C82BAFF-4C81-4BB1-962A-C2CBDE39511A (resized).jpeg

#4965 2 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

Nucore is no longer selling their product, and the latest version (unprotected) is available for free. So my question still stands. Why are people still using pinbox? My guess is that they are just following some old online guides that step them through the pinbox installation process.

I got a RFM in terrible shape see: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-barn-find-had-plywood-delaminating-how-do-i-proceed
It didn't come with any PC, so I had to build mine from scratch, for the Dell I used, I could not get Nucore, to update past anything beyond the williams releases, I to this day don't know if it is nucore, or my choice in PC, because it seems to have worked for others, but I tried Pinbox, reluctantly, as I didn't want to install a 10+ year old OS (Ubuntu10 LTS). But I did and it has been steady, and I love the Juke Box mode (both have it) when I'm working in my garage.
For reference Nucore uses Ubuntu LTS 18.04 I think. So it's 8 years newer but 18 is slowly coming to it's eol as well...

#4966 2 years ago

Removed notes for now, whilst i continue experiments

#4967 2 years ago

I have built a nucore machine with a modern i5 and a pcie lpt Port. Works like a charm. The guide that is available in the nucore forum works perfectly

#4968 2 years ago
Quoted from erikie:

I have built a nucore machine with a modern i5 and a pcie lpt Port. Works like a charm. The guide that is available in the nucore forum works perfectly

Can you please post a direct link to the post?
Thank you.

#4969 2 years ago
Quoted from rygar:

Can you please post a direct link to the post?
Thank you.

here it is
http://www.bigguyspinball.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1179

#4971 2 years ago

Do they still make the 3D translite anymore?

#4972 2 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Do a pinside search and find their thread.
Bump the thread or contact them on their website.

#4973 2 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

I contacted them a couple of weeks ago. They are no longer making them.

#4974 2 years ago
Quoted from megadeth2600:

I contacted them a couple of weeks ago. They are no longer making them.

And this is why Rick @ PPS is not an asset to our community.

#4975 2 years ago

Maybe they didnt sell well. Theres 1 RFM translite in stock and its NOS.

#4976 2 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Maybe they didnt sell well.

Oh. they sold well. very well based upon conversations.
The original thread has some late discussions about Rick leaving them with a bunch of unfinished projects because he stopped "approving" the work.

#4977 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Oh. they sold well. very well based upon conversations.
The original thread has some late discussions about Rick leaving them with a bunch of unfinished projects because he stopped "approving" the work.

Thanks for the info. That sucks and money left on the table.

The one in my cab cracked slightly because of age. I purchased another used one and it arrived the same way. I thought a newer rerpro or 3D would be the way to go but I guess I'll have to wait.

#4978 2 years ago

My wife experienced drunk flippers for the first time tonight. She screamed at me the game was broken. Thank you applejuice.

Screenshot_20211031-184821.pngScreenshot_20211031-184821.png
#4979 2 years ago

Whenever I launch a ball and it falls on top of the far right pop bumper, it doesn't trigger. It only triggers if it bounces off one of the other pop bumpers first. Is this normal? How do I fix if not?

Thanks,

Ryan

#4980 2 years ago
Quoted from weasel671:

Whenever I launch a ball and it falls on top of the far right pop bumper, it doesn't trigger. It only triggers if it bounces off one of the other pop bumpers first. Is this normal? How do I fix if not?
Thanks,
Ryan

The skirt's pointed shaft is likely not centered in the spoon activator. Should be an adjustment to get it centered.

#4981 2 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

The skirt's pointed shaft is likely not centered in the spoon activator. Should be an adjustment to get it centered.

I'll take a look at that. I never messed with a pop before. Don't know anything about them.. I own 2 machines and have not had any problems until now.

Thanks for the help

#4982 2 years ago

Do a pinside search.
Vid did a guide for pop bumper rebuilds

#4983 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Do a pinside search.
Vid did a guide for pop bumper rebuilds

Will do!

Thanks

#4984 2 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

[quoted image]

Looks amazing! Great work as always!

#4985 2 years ago

Okay, my crt monitor went out a couple months ago. I thought the monitor was in pretty good condition before it went. I had purchased the video amplifier but didn't install it. Swapped out with an lcd monitor on Thursday and man, it looks great. I think I'll get my crt repaired, but this is the brightest and crispest image I've seen on an rfm. My only thing is I used a 19 inch monitor, but I think a 20 inch monitor would align the images to the ramps a little better. I'm sold on lcd conversion even though I'm more of a "purest" by nature.

1 week later
#4986 2 years ago

It's a bit of hit-and-miss with LCD, mine came with a Consumer Dell 19" but i upgraded it to a Eizo CG 21" and this matches the ramps perfectly. These are also industrial/professional monitors with good blacks and RGB. These are still possible to find on second hand sites, and i really wanted a square screen instead of 16:9 widescreen.

#4987 2 years ago
Quoted from Asure:

It's a bit of hit-and-miss with LCD, mine came with a Consumer Dell 19" but i upgraded it to a Eizo CG 21" and this matches the ramps perfectly. These are also industrial/professional monitors with good blacks and RGB. These are still possible to find on second hand sites, and i really wanted a square screen instead of 16:9 widescreen.

I'm hoping LG will someday make 4:3 OLED panels for applications like this and for arcade games. Otherwise I've not seen a suitable LCD for this particular application. I can always see the backlight where it should be pure black.

Meanwhile I keep nursing the CRT monitor along and looking for spares...

1 week later
#4988 2 years ago

So last night I turned on RFM and the picture had some deflection in the corner. Shortly thereafter, the monitor went blank and I could smell smoke from the backbox

Best place to start on this thing? I have zero monitor experience (frankly they terrify me). Also, unfortunately mine is a re-import from Italy and has a non-standard monitor (Intervideo - pic attached).

And no - I won't be replacing anything with an LCD. Call me a purist but I'll do whatever it takes to bring this thing back to life....except that

RFM Monitor (resized).jpgRFM Monitor (resized).jpg
#4989 2 years ago
Quoted from justyn:

So last night I turned on RFM and the picture had some deflection in the corner. Shortly thereafter, the monitor went blank and I could smell smoke from the backbox
Best place to start on this thing? I have zero monitor experience (frankly they terrify me). Also, unfortunately mine is a re-import from Italy and has a non-standard monitor (Intervideo - pic attached).
And no - I won't be replacing anything with an LCD. Call me a purist but I'll do whatever it takes to bring this thing back to life....except that
[quoted image]

Is that the name of the chassis? I haven’t heard of that chassis before. Maybe the tube and yoke are compatible with something more common like a Wells Gardner. The man to contact when your monitor is rough shape is Buffett Arcade. You’ll find him on google and klov.

#4990 2 years ago

you need to somehow find the schematics for the monitor. Sounds like it may be a challenge as I haven't heard of it.
That said; Smoke probably means bad diode or transistor in the high voltage section given your description of the events leading up to the smoke.

Carefully pull the monitor out of the cabinet; you aren't gonna be able to fix this in the machine.
Take my advice now... BE VERY CAREFULL when removing the monitor... might be a good idea to have a friend help.
I necked my CRT because I wasn't paying attention to "not a handle" or something when removing mine.
(necked as in broke the glass tube at the connector)
I ended up having to do a tube swap; and it's still not in perfect condition.

Once you have the monitor on the "bench"; you might be able to locate the burnt component(s) by visual inspection.

2 weeks later
#4991 2 years ago

So I figured if I can add LEDs to everything in the house (I have an LED addiction) why not make a topper with all my left over stuff. 3D printed the UFOs before I sold my printing gear. Hand panted over transparent green. Tried to model them after the UFOs on the translite. I think it looks pretty decent. I will tie it in to the 12v side of the PC power supply but will have an on off switch on the back in case it's to much while playing. lol Some pics and a quick video. The UFOs are not as bright as the look in the pictures. Tried to add a few elements. The pulsing tractor beam. The flashing laser beam with the fire flickering. And then just a general illumination of the whole diffuser panel with rgb changing led strip inside another diffuser to tone it down more. I think it came out pretty decent.

IMG_20211209_143935188 (resized).jpgIMG_20211209_143935188 (resized).jpgIMG_20211214_190146034 (resized).jpgIMG_20211214_190146034 (resized).jpgIMG_20211214_190154074 (resized).jpgIMG_20211214_190154074 (resized).jpgRFM Topper 3 (resized).jpgRFM Topper 3 (resized).jpgRFM Topper 2 (resized).jpgRFM Topper 2 (resized).jpgRFM Topper 1 (resized).jpgRFM Topper 1 (resized).jpgRFM Topper 4 (resized).jpgRFM Topper 4 (resized).jpg
#4992 2 years ago
Quoted from Lithonion:

So I figured if I can add LEDs to everything in the house (I have an LED addiction) why not make a topper with all my left over stuff. 3D printed the UFOs before I sold my printing gear. Hand panted over transparent green. Tried to model them after the UFOs on the translite. I think it looks pretty decent. I will tie it in to the 12v side of the PC power supply but will have an on off switch on the back in case it's to much while playing. lol Some pics and a quick video. The UFOs are not as bright as the look in the pictures. Tried to add a few elements. The pulsing tractor beam. The flashing laser beam with the fire flickering. And then just a general illumination of the whole diffuser panel with rgb changing led strip inside another diffuser to tone it down more. I think it came out pretty decent.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Whoa, that’s awesome!

#4993 2 years ago

Available Midnight 25th Dec GMT

promo rfm v2.24 download splash (resized).jpgpromo rfm v2.24 download splash (resized).jpg

Update Notes:

v2.24 RFM Update

Ball Save - New transparent mode start font overlay graphic screen instead of std text
Martian Attack - New London scene background option
Multiball - New abandoned amusement park scene background option (you know why..)
Extra Ball - Use the animation for replay awards instead of text
Bonus Wave - Added Shaker effects for bonus award shots

XINA 1.36
System - Updates to allow future game updates to be max 8mb in size instead of max 4mb

#4994 2 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

[quoted image]
Update Notes:
v2.24 RFM Update
Ball Save - New transparent mode start font overlay graphic screen instead of std text
Multiball - New abandoned amusement park scene background option (you know why..)
XINA 1.36
System - Updates to allow future game updates to be max 8mb in size instead of max 4mb

Can't wait!

The animation for replay- is it the extra ball animation that Bally cut from the game originally?

#4995 2 years ago
Quoted from Lithonion:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Amazing job on that custom topper!

applejuice , thanks for the Christmas code drop. Between this and Munsters it's Christmas in the home Arcade!

#4996 2 years ago
Quoted from IowaPingeek:

Can't wait!
The animation for replay- is it the extra ball animation that Bally cut from the game originally?

The extra ball animation change is to use the std one (full screen words) in place of the small windowed text award for eb replay levels. Before, this animation only played in certain places like hypno beam.

We are looking at ways to use the original alien eb animation maybe in future but the quality of it isn’t great and there is no audio to go with it. I think it was a test markup that wasn’t finally rendered

#4997 2 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

[quoted image]
Update Notes:
v2.24 RFM Update
XINA 1.36

Best Christmas gift an RFM pinhead owner could receive. Thanks!!!

#4998 2 years ago

Merry Christmas all. Just replaced my battery on main board in my PC (I have Nucor) and I am getting a error at boot that says mouse not found. Please help

Bill

IMG_5164 (resized).jpegIMG_5164 (resized).jpeg
#4999 2 years ago

Super excited for the update! Still trying to figure out how to do the update, I think maybe it's a bad cord. I shouldn't need to switch anything around on the motherboard right? Mine is still running the original first version from the factory.

#5000 2 years ago
Quoted from Lawnboy:

Merry Christmas all. Just replaced my battery on main board in my PC (I have Nucor) and I am getting a error at boot that says mouse not found. Please help
Bill
[quoted image]

You need to go into the bios and turn it off. Every motherboard is different so you will have to dig around or look up your board if my fix isn't correct. I am using a pretty common fix on 99% of the motherboards out. When you changed the battery the CMOS most likely went to factory defaults. Hit del to get into the bois and arrow over to the Boot tab. In there, there should be a Boot Settings, or Boot Setting Configuration. Go into that and see if there is a line that says, Wait for F1 Error or anything with an F1 warning. It is probably in the Enabled state. Change it to Disabled. Hit F10 to save and exit. It might ask if your are sure just hit Y for the Yes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 85.00
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

There are 6,717 posts in this topic. You are on page 100 of 135.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-hillary-come-here-you-gotta-see-this/page/100?hl=dcrosby and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.