• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5338 (resized).jpg
IMG_5337 (resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

Some previous owner of my RFM hacked together a cable in my machine. I believe one of the wires has come unsoldered but I don't know which pin to solder to (or why the owner would have hacked this cable together in the first place). See pics attached. The dark grey cable is soldered to pins on the beige cable, and the other end of the dark grey cable is a computer serial cable plug. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

IMG_5337 (resized).jpgIMG_5337 (resized).jpgIMG_5338 (resized).jpgIMG_5338 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago
Quoted from Boslaw:

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated,

I'd search google for computer serial cable pinouts or wire colors. Likely standard for each one.

LTG : )

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#3 4 years ago

good idea, thanks. It's odd to me that they took the time to solder but couldnt be bothered cutting the plug off and going wire to wire

#4 4 years ago

Well, there doesn't seem to be a standard color arrangement that matches the wire colors already soldered on the cable based on what I've seen on the internet. Time for some more googling.

#5 4 years ago

looks like someone tried making a null serial cable. Just desolder the wires and throw out the hacked wiring. If you want to update the software later on, buy a null cable or use a pub card.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Columbia, MO

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-hacked-cable-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.