(Topic ID: 215430)

RFM: Freezes on boot

By CadillacMusic

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Got an RFM that had a new motherboard put in about a year ago. It routinely refuses to fully boot. It gets stuck at "updating game code", and just...sits there. Game plays fine when it finally does boot. Sometimes it seems reseating all the cards helps for a few games, but it could be an illusion. This computer has done it in two different machines. What causes the freeze?

#2 6 years ago

New as in new to the game motherboard? Assuming its a used motherboard youve got bad capacitors. If its a NOS motherboard still bad capacitors. Take a Look at the caps on the board are any swollen/leaking?

#3 6 years ago

Here this should help. http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:Mediagxboard.jpg

Assuming caps are good I would look at the power supply next.

#4 6 years ago

It's supposedly a brand new motherboard, so it shouldn't be the caps. They look fine, but I know looks can be deceiving. Now power supply, I can believe. We have dozens of ATX supplies lying around, so that's worth a test. Thanks for the pic, though.

#5 6 years ago

Any luck with this? Keep us posted if you make any progress.

#6 6 years ago

We have every type of power supply under the sun except that one. Waiting for it to come in. I know I could steal one from a megatouch, but I want a brand new one to rule out any issues.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from CadillacMusic:

We have every type of power supply under the sun except that one. Waiting for it to come in. I know I could steal one from a megatouch, but I want a brand new one to rule out any issues.

I have a motherboard also that did that and didn't have the time to find the issue. I also have an extra complete computer out of a star wars Episode 1. I did not go with pinbox I just stayed with the original. I did try a new power supply and that did not fix mine either but good luck.

#8 5 years ago

I had these (intermittent) issues as well. Machine would not boot, and when it did sometimes the gameplay seemed ok but when progressing through the game the graphics would get garbled up and/or the machine would spontaneously reset (in retrospect this was hinting at game rom connectivity issues). Caps looked fine. Installed a better power supply. Tried reseating the prism card, which sometimes seemed to work, at least initially (until the garbled graphics followed by spontaneous resets showed up). In the end what completely resolved the problem was to take the prism card apart, take out the game roms, clean the chip and prism pcb contacts with stabilant 22 (a contact-enhancing non-conductive fluid that turns into an insulating conductor when under power/current), and rebuild everything. I've not had any problems ever since.

#9 5 years ago

Contact goo! Well, if the power supply doesn't work, that's the next step. I haven't had any issues with the graphics or resets, though. Just the booting.

#10 5 years ago

Update: Power supply has cables that are too short to reach the motherboard. I had to mount the damn thing upside-down with velcro. Was the only way I could think of securing it without drilling holes in the case. Anyways, game booted up fine, so now it's just a test of time.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 85.00
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-freezes-on-boot?hl=tonyhoff1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.