(Topic ID: 84157)

RFM cabinet restoration - how bad did I screw up?

By mjannusch

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by mjannusch
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

RMF stripped2.jpg
RMF stripped1.jpg
RMF stripped.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I've got an RFM and SWE1 conversion kit that when I got it had the cabinet art already pretty well munched up around the legs. I put on plastic cabinet protectors, which covered up most of it, but there were still large wrinkles plainly visible. The side rails were kind of beat up from the original owner, and I had ordered replacements a long time ago but never got the guts to pull the old ones off. Well, I decided to put them on and when taking the old ones off some of the side decals came off and I decided maybe it was time to fix the cabinet art while I was at it. So far, so good...

I used a heat gun and slowly pulled off the side art, which left a white surface that I originally thought was some sort of laminate over the wood. There was quite a bit of adhesive still on it, so I used some Goo Gone to try to remove it, but it was taking forever and I got impatient. I put Citristrip on it to soften the adhesive so I could remove it, left it for 30 minutes, came back and as I was scraping off the adhesive, the white layer started coming off the wood. Apparently that's the primer layer and not some sort of laminate. Ooops, my bad.

OK, so I'm stripping the rest of the primer layer off on that side, as there's not much I can do about it now. But for the rest of the cabinet, what is the best way to approach this for maximum decal longevity on the replacements? Is it best to leave the primer layer and just elbow-grease the adhesive off with Goo-Gone or similar, or better to strip the primer layer off down to bare wood also?

If I strip it just to the primer, is there any prep that should be done to the primer to help the new decals stick to it after I get the adhesive off?

If I strip it to bare wood, what should be done there? New primer (what kind?), or just sand it smooth, or put a coat of Varathane on it, or what? The primer layer looked pretty good, and the wood below is in good shape as well. The corners are a little rough in spots, but nothing that wood filler shouldn't take care of. Seems like people like Varathane on it, but that seems to me like it wouldn't adhere as good on a smoother surface like that vs directly on the wood. Looking for more input there.

I've never done cabinet work before, so I'm kind of Lost In The Zone with this one. Thanks for any advice!

#2 10 years ago

Nevermind, I found Bryan Kelly’s excellent IJ restoration thread! All questions are answered, including questions I didn't even know I had yet...

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-restoration-started

#3 10 years ago

Thanks for the link to that thread. Good luck with the RFM resto.

1 month later
#4 9 years ago

Did mine a couple of years ago. Stripped it down to bare wood, sanded and applied decals. Next time, I would pain around the edges with black to make it easier when trimming the decals. Fun job, not too hard. Watch out for the bolts - some you put the decals over, some through.RMF stripped.jpgRMF stripped.jpgRMF stripped1.jpgRMF stripped1.jpgRMF stripped2.jpgRMF stripped2.jpg

#5 9 years ago

Looks nice!

I did get mine done, and sanded it all down to bare wood as well. Mine didn't require much touch-up, but the back right corner of the cabinet was in pretty tough shape and took some effort to square up. I did use black primer and paint on the cabinet before using the dry application method with the decals, and it turned out pretty nice. I haven't done the head yet, but suppose I should so that the decal texture matches everywhere.

I filled in the coin door lock bar holes, and the hole for the bolt that goes through the right side decal for the playfield support arm. I've never used that arm for anything, and don't figure I ever will - so left that off. I also put on the Stern leg protector plates so with luck I won't ever have to worry about this again.

Lots of work to do these right!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,500 (OBO)
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 85.00
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-cabinet-restoration-how-bad-did-i-screw-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.