IMG_7226 (resized).JPG
IMG_7227 (resized).JPG
IMG_7225 (resized).JPG
P2K - cga cable (resized).jpg
RFMvideomaybe (resized).jpg
CGA (resized).JPG
IMG_3830 (resized).JPG
IMG_7218 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Brtlkat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

So I've been reading all I can, and apparently replacing the batteries without the computer being turned on can cause BIOS issues. Of course, this is what I did. When I had the motherboard removed to replace the caps, I went ahead and replaced the battery as well.
Sorry to sound like a total noob, but when I removed the computer last night to try to get to boot outside of the machine, my lcd monitor said no signal. It wouldn't show anything (eventhough when the computer is in the machine, it boots to the last line of the white screen then freezes). Do I have to use an older monitor, or? Also, I'm not sure how to connect a keyboard to this. Again, sorry, but some of this older computer stuff I'm not familiar with. Any help is appreciated.

RFM is not VGA so you will not be able to use the pc monitor unless you convert it to do so.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

j_m_, I replaced the motherboard battery. I haven't replaced the Prism Card battery yet (waiting on shipping). Also, do you know where the non-volatile section of RAM is located? This may be something to check.
Brtlkat, so is there no way for me to connect a monitor? Otherwise, what is the recommended way to get to the BIOS?

You can if you have another CGA monitor. But the signal can be converted from CGA to VGA you would need a separate converter pcb to do that. Does the monitor work in the game?

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Both motherboards listed in the Pinwiki have onboard VGA. It would be easier to connect to that port on the motherboard with his LCD monitor. If the header is missing/not included my second choice would be use an old PCI video card. Both the header and a compatible PCI card would be easier to find than a CGA monitor.

The only way to get it to vga is to convert the signal from cga to vga or pinbox it.

#51 7 years ago

j_m is your monitor plugged into the back of this card?
If it is, that's a video card that's generating the CGA output. The OP can remove that video card and use a standard (for the day) video card to test with and can probably utilize either of the two PCI slots on the motherboard.
OP, did you test with your video card in both slots of the motherboard? Wish I could find the manual for this particular board.

No that's not a video card, That's the prisim card. The video comes off the mobo through a ribbon cable.

#52 7 years ago

The Parallel port drives the pin2000 driver board.

#53 7 years ago

Looks like you have two memory sticks. You may have a bad stick or a bad slot. You could try running memtest86 and see if you get errors. If you do, try each stick in both slots to try and narrow down the problem.
sparkup What clue did you spot that points to the parallel port being a problem? Is that used by the pin2k system or could it be disabled in the BIOS and still work?

Parallel port drives the pin2000 driver board.

#65 7 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

I appreciate the comments. I would be happy to photograph or video anything I need to, but his setup is the exact same as mine. Same mainboard, CPU, components, everything. The two systems are identical. And in the cabinet the cord clearly goes from computer to LCD without any converter. I'll take a pic of each of our systems and post.
That said, I just tried switching the CPU, RAM, and tested both PSU's. No dice. This leads me to believe it's an issue on the mainboard.

He must have a CGA Lcd then. What model is the Lcd?

#69 7 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Photos as mentioned. My computer. My friends computer. And the LCD connection.

Looks to be a tri sync lcd monitor would need the model # to verify.

#71 7 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

yeoldpinplayer, this is what I have done. I am not using multiple LCD's. I am only using his cabinet for testing. I.e., I'm putting my computer in and turning on with only the power and monitor attached. I get "No Signal". I unplug mine, put his in, and only plug in the power and monitor, and his boots to BIOS. Then I went through this process (place my computer in, test, then place his computer in, test) for each item - CPU, RAM, and PSU. All resulted the same, when I use my computer (and my mainboard), I get "No Signal", and when I put his computer in (and his mainboard), it boots to BIOS. Again, I very much appreciate all of you sticking with me and helping.

Sounds like the mobo then. But FWIW if it is a true pinball 2000 setup this will only generate a CGA signal.

#74 7 years ago

Where do you get this information? The two motherboard manuals in this thread both say the output is VGA.</blockquo

Where do you get this information? The two motherboard manuals in this thread both say the output is VGA.

I have owned 5 pinball 2000 machines and converted 3 from cga to vga of the 5 and pinboxed 2 (this is VGA). I can look it up for you and post.

#75 7 years ago

Where do you get this information? The two motherboard manuals in this thread both say the output is VGA.

Have you ever owned or worked on a pinball 2000?

#76 7 years ago

Go to monitor problems and the last 2 sentences may clear this up. http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Pinball_2000_Repair#Monitor_problems

#85 7 years ago

Using your friend's computer do you see the POST and the instructions for entering the BIOS, you just can't follow them without a keyboard connected? Or do you see only the monitor come on as if waiting for the PRISM to start sending video?
Has anyone ever seen the POST or entered the BIOS on their pin2k computer? If not, can anyone connect a regular monitor and tell me if it displays the POST while booting, then goes blank when the PRISM card takes over?

Yes, Remove prism card and it will show a post and enter setup.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 85.00
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Brtlkat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-boot-issue?tu=Brtlkat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.