• 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by paynemic
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0515 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paynemic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

$10 PayPal for the first person who can point me right to the problem(s) to get this fixed.

Ok. So I'm a noob. I broke the number one commandment and did leds with power on in my friends data east Star Wars. I suck. I should have known. Now I have all kinds of lamp matrix problems. Single lamp tests often light up two and three lamps. There is a decided pattern. I tested the board, its fine. I'm guessing shorts and or diodes out. I will do some wire tracing, but I'm wondering if anyone can identify the problem from my single lamp test results:

I will attach my notes scribbled on the lamp matrix in the manual (I labeled with letters the lamp tested and a the same letter starred or primed ' on the lamp that also lit incorrectly) but I will try to make sense of the pattern to the problems.

Basically, row 7 seems to mostly work normally. But anything above it in the early columns (1-3) lights itself, the lamp in the same row in column 6 and in the same column but 7th row. For example, lamp 2 also lights lamp 7 and lamp 42. Or lamp 11 also lights 15 and 43.

Column 6 has similar bahavior. Anything in c7 or 8 mirrors over to same row, in c6.

There are some other patterns, but hopefully this will be enough to get me something to fix to reduce the chaos for further testing.

#2 7 years ago

IMG_0515 (resized).JPGIMG_0515 (resized).JPG

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

Sounds like a diode. Have a multimeter to test them?

Yes. On the lamp matrix, do I have to desolder? And are there any logical places to start?

#8 7 years ago

Oh crap. I have no idea. It was from a grab bag sampler I think I got from pinballlife. Can that really happen?!!

2 months later
#12 7 years ago
Quoted from seb951:

Hi There, i had just about the exact same problem. Single lamp test would light other lights in the matrix on multiple rows. What it was is I had a few of diodes solder backwards in three lamp locations. In my case, both R2D2 Dome Left and Right and the Jabba's right power scoop light. Soldered them the right way and everything worked. Go over all your diodes on the playfield for the lamp matrix. I didn't change any of the LEDs so the messages about that are just plain false --- as I have LEDs from just about all the manufactures including incandescent regular bulbs .

Much appreciated. I will go over them one by one. I'm just a little worried I wouldn't recognize a properly configured one from incorrect. Do diodes in circuit in the lamp matrix test normally? Or do I have to unsolder to test if they're bad?

9 months later
#14 6 years ago

Yep. For me it was a backward diode after all. Good quality led or incandescent can mask the problem so it seems to appear when some people switch to led.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paynemic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reward-help-with-lamp-matrix-1?tu=paynemic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.