You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7226 (resized).JPG
IMG_7225 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

Hi.

I spoke to Stern tech today and we tried to troubleshoot the star rollover switches in my TWD Pro.

They don't register - not in a switch test or during gameplay. The tech had me "jump" the switch using a paper clip, revealing to him that the switch was faulty and should be replaced.

I'm running this by you all here in case the switch can be revived rather replaced. I mean, if there's a tiny switch in there that's not actuating, can I get inside there and address it? Really, I'd rather not spend $20 for a pair of new switches if I can avoid it.

Oh, in case any of you have a spare switches for sale, the part number is 520-6824-18.

Any ideas?

Thanks for reading my post.

Jason

IMG_7225 (resized).JPGIMG_7225 (resized).JPG

IMG_7226 (resized).JPGIMG_7226 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Wow, you're gonna need to crack that sucker open and see what does the physical work of moving two contacts together.
<edit> Uh, duh...yeah if it's an opto in there, there won't be moving contacts. My bad.

#3 6 years ago

Is there a way to open up the switch? or did they sonic weld that sucker?
If you can open it up and check out what's inside it may be easy to fix. Share some photos and maybe someone here can help.

I just assumed they made them as cheap throw away parts and the only way to crack it open would be to actually crack it in which case probably easier to just replace it

#4 6 years ago

I doubt they both are bad. Did they have you reseat the connector at the opto board those switches connect to?

When I got my walking dead, both of those switches were DOA. Everything looked fine. They lit up, but neither switch was registering. I traced the wires from those switches to a board under the playfield near the ball return. I unplugged and reseated the connector and they both started working. It was very strange because the connector was in all the way. I’m not sure why unplugging and reseating it worked.

Also you can open those connectors by unscrewing the 2 Phillips head screws on the back. There is a tiny black U shape that is your opto switch. If you have them plugged in you can put a toothpick in there to see if that registers. If it does, then you just have to adjust the assembly to make the switch.

3 years later
#5 3 years ago

Jason_Jehosaphat How did you end up resolving this? I have the same issue with a bottom star rollover on a TWD Pro I just picked up. Switched out the connectors with the other star rollover and the wiring worked so I've narrowed it down to the switch itself I believe.

1 year later
#6 1 year ago

TWDLE - both rollover switches not working, fail in test mode...
Could anyone point to that "opto board near ball return" mentioned above?
It does seem unlikely both switches fail problem is in the switches themselves, right?

#7 1 year ago

Broken wire common to both from switch to board ?

LTG : )

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.00
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Machine - For Sale
Glendale, AZ
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yonkers, NY
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newton, NJ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reviving-stern-star-rollover-switch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.