(Topic ID: 350083)

Reviving a Swords of Fury from the dead!

By Jmckune

6 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 88 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Jmckune
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0932 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0930 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0909 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0915 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0914 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0911 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0907 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0886 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0887 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0870 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0869 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0867 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0873 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0862 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0858 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0859 (resized).jpeg
There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 5 months ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

I think his plan is to lay some mylar. Luckily sof pfs didn't wear too badly, except in a few spots.

I must have missed that part. Yeah, I suppose that works.

#52 5 months ago

Yes, initially I was only going to Mylar high wear areas but then thought about how older playfields looked without any Mylar, I went ahead and bought the full Mylar set and will be adding more for the spot that drops from the mini playfield. It may not be as nice as the clear coat, but it is period correct and will present as a very nice original when finished.

#53 5 months ago

Have been a bit busy. I now have all solenoids mounted except for lower flippers. After that, I’ll solder everything and get the flipper rebuild kits installed. From there, planning on dropping into the cab and starting on the topside.

IMG_0674 (resized).jpegIMG_0674 (resized).jpeg
#54 5 months ago

Bottom side is finished. Going to finish wiring the cabinet really quick and then going to drop it into the cab to do the top!

IMG_0693 (resized).jpegIMG_0693 (resized).jpeg
#55 5 months ago

Most ball guides in. Things are starting to get exciting! Last two solenoids are outsole and kickback! We are starting to look very LIONMAN

IMG_0695 (resized).jpegIMG_0695 (resized).jpeg
#56 5 months ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

Today’s lesson is about connectors. If you ever have problems with your GI lighting, here is a great photo of what NOT to do. [quoted image]
It’s a poor shortcut and all you are doing is damaging the board and other components along the line. Here is the residual damage from this “repair”. As a result of some previous owner choosing to do it the quick way vs the right way, every single connection point of the GI was burnt.
From cabinet.[quoted image]
From backbox, notice the use of wire nuts and molex indicates this has burned a 2nd time [quoted image]
Playfield.[quoted image]
I have already done the one from the cabinet and it looks amazing. Now I am working on repairing this interconnect board and I will go back to repairing the other connectors.[quoted image]

This is extremely common in this era. All the Williams GI was garbage and burned up. Seen this hack countless times. The Molex burned up originally and then the wire nuts were used. Operators did it all the time, and some collectors who don’t want to rebuilt the chewed up interconnect boards. Williams knew they weren’t rated properly for long term use, but didn’t care. Lasted long enough for you to buy the next game that came out, lol.

1 week later
#57 4 months ago

More progress, I have definitely slowed down. The difficult part is finding the correct post locations at this point. Pictures are helping, but there are some that are tough to figure out. For example, this spot, does anyone have any good photos of the area so I can figure what is supposed to be here?image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

Also, the u turn plastic goes here but I don’t see any dimples for the two anchoring points to the middle and left. I’m assuming wood screw post with a black spacer?image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

IMG_0733 (resized).jpegIMG_0733 (resized).jpeg

#58 4 months ago

https://zonaarcade.forumcommunity.net/?t=61959980

If you need decals for your SOF - for example your spinners are wrong...just hit up Mikonos he has a full decal set...ramps...spinners and such...he's out of Spain so his English is bit off - but quality is excellent...

#59 4 months ago
Quoted from Sonic:

https://zonaarcade.forumcommunity.net/?t=61959980
If you need decals for your SOF - for example your spinners are wrong...just hit up Mikonos he has a full decal set...ramps...spinners and such...he's out of Spain so his English is bit off - but quality is excellent...

Will likely get some of those, it had the other set of spinners with the demon or whatever that is on it, but only on one side so I used these in the meantime and I’ll save the correct decals for the finishing up process.

#60 4 months ago

Making a little more progress, mini playfield is in place, now I need to finish installing the posts for it, soldering the couple lamps that come through the playfield and solder the two switches for ogres alley along with the kickback and outsole coils. Coming along very nice!

IMG_0771 (resized).jpegIMG_0771 (resized).jpeg
#61 4 months ago

Great work. I also have a SOF in a box of parts sitting for 10 years waiting to be put together. This may be the motivation I need to finally do it.

#62 4 months ago
Quoted from pindel:

Great work. I also have a SOF in a box of parts sitting for 10 years waiting to be put together. This may be the motivation I need to finally do it.

There aren’t very many around! Only 2700 made and who knows how many survive

#63 4 months ago

Playing area is nearing completion. I noticed the drop targets appear to slightly slant down to the right. Don’t appear to be in a perfectly straight line height wise. Can anyone take a photo of theirs? Are there spacers supposed to be used on the left side closest the the cabinet? Main playfield screws are very tight so it’s not a loose screw. It also could be the prism pattern playing tricks on my eyes

IMG_0800 (resized).jpegIMG_0800 (resized).jpegIMG_0801 (resized).jpegIMG_0801 (resized).jpeg

#64 4 months ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

Playing area is nearing completion. I noticed the drop targets appear to slightly slant down to the right. Don’t appear to be in a perfectly straight line height wise. Can anyone take a photo of theirs? Are there spacers supposed to be used on the left side closest the the cabinet? Main playfield screws are very tight so it’s not a loose screw. It also could be the prism pattern playing tricks on my eyes
[quoted image][quoted image]

You need to get the color coordinated decals for those drops my man!!

Matt

#65 4 months ago
Quoted from Sonic:

You need to get the color coordinated decals for those drops my man!!
Matt

Probably gonna go ahead and contact you for a replacement mini bat. This one is a bit deformed so not sure it’s worth the effort to repaint it. I saw the color coordinated kit but from what I can see you can’t buy just the decals, it’s entire new plastic drop targets. I bought new standard orange from Marco but I just went to peel them and the adhesive didn’t separate from the backing and instead separated from the decals.

#66 4 months ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

Probably gonna go ahead and contact you for a replacement mini bat. This one is a bit deformed so not sure it’s worth the effort to repaint it. I saw the color coordinated kit but from what I can see you can’t buy just the decals, it’s entire new plastic drop targets. I bought new standard orange from Marco but I just went to peel them and the adhesive didn’t separate from the backing and instead separated from the decals.

We sell them!! Just the decals....$7 shipped my man.... One of our hottest items... That's why I mentioned it....

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mampm-creations-swords-of-fury-unobtainium-thingy-s#post-6651443

#67 4 months ago
Quoted from Sonic:

We sell them!! Just the decals....$7 shipped my man.... One of our hottest items... That's why I mentioned it....
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mampm-creations-swords-of-fury-unobtainium-thingy-s#post-6651443

Sold. Put me down for a flipper bat (regular version) and a set of decals. PM me and let me know what I owe you and you can get any more info you need!

#68 4 months ago

I was on vacation this week and had a surprise come in! Now I am in a hurry to finish cutting the small wooden mounting points for the power switch/volume/tilt switches so I can power it on!

IMG_0858 (resized).jpegIMG_0858 (resized).jpegIMG_0859 (resized).jpegIMG_0859 (resized).jpeg
#69 4 months ago

Board set is now complete, need to finish hooking up playfield and then building transformer connector and then I will be ready for power up!

IMG_0862 (resized).jpegIMG_0862 (resized).jpeg
#70 4 months ago

Don't forget to install the A/C relay on the AUX board. It was attached to the packaging of that board.

#71 4 months ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Don't forget to install the A/C relay on the AUX board. It was attached to the packaging of that board.

I got it, almost missed it but double checked before tossing the box. It is installed on the aux board!

#72 4 months ago

props on all the work you have done

#73 4 months ago

Nice looking boards by dumbass

#74 4 months ago

So I powered the game up for the first time yesterday. There was a small (but extremely gut wrenching) mishap. I accidentally plugged J8 on the aux board in backwards. Thanks to the amazing support of victor, within minutes, I discovered I sent 50v down the 25v rail. The bad news is this caused the varistor on the 25v rail to ignite, tarnishing my brand new board. The good news is, thanks to the support victor provided, I was able to test a few points and quickly determined that no real damage occurred and all that needed to happen was a clean and replace the varistor. That being said. After cleaning and reinstalling everything (being very careful to check my connections), we have a booting Swords of Fury. Game 211 is officially alive again after 16 years. Initial testing revealed all sounds/music are good, all switches are good, all solenoids are good. I am missing feature lamps and I’m suspecting the Bridge rectifier in the head may have failed. Going to do some testing on that later, but wanted to stop after the day I had yesterday

IMG_0867 (resized).jpegIMG_0867 (resized).jpegIMG_0869 (resized).jpegIMG_0869 (resized).jpegIMG_0870 (resized).jpegIMG_0870 (resized).jpegIMG_0873 (resized).jpegIMG_0873 (resized).jpeg
#75 4 months ago

I played one of these at TPF this weekend about 15x. I really enjoyed it. It'd definitely a title I'm in the hunt for.

I'm enjoying your progress.

#76 4 months ago

I forgot to post the best part after saying it was alive!IMG_0887 (resized).jpegIMG_0887 (resized).jpeg

Traced the feature lamp issue to a broken wire at connection for transformer secondary in lower cabinet. I’ll re crimp that and we should be good to go! Waiting on my comet order to get here before putting the ramps on. I used my remaining cool white lamps for the playfield and a little bit of the backbox, the dark section is working properly. I had removed the lamps in preparation of the new LeD lamps. I have to say, the translite looks STUNNING.

IMG_0886 (resized).jpegIMG_0886 (resized).jpeg
#77 4 months ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

I forgot to post the best part after saying it was alive![quoted image]
Traced the feature lamp issue to a broken wire at connection for transformer secondary in lower cabinet. I’ll re crimp that and we should be good to go! Waiting on my comet order to get here before putting the ramps on. I used my remaining cool white lamps for the playfield and a little bit of the backbox, the dark section is working properly. I had removed the lamps in preparation of the new LeD lamps. I have to say, the translite looks STUNNING.
[quoted image]

Looking at your woofer, black/yellow is positive...you may have it swapped on your woofer - thus robbing you of bass as it will be out of phase with your backbox speakers...can't tell for certain though...

#78 4 months ago
Quoted from Sonic:

Looking at your woofer, black/yellow is positive...you may have it swapped on your woofer - thus robbing you of bass as it will be out of phase with your backbox speakers...can't tell for certain though...

I’ll check it, I don’t recall if there were any markings on the woofer or not. FWIW, the sound sounds how I’d expect it, but maybe it can be better.

#79 4 months ago
Quoted from Sonic:

You were correct, I swapped them and it sounds the same vs the small clip of attract sound I heard. Maybe a subtle difference. I removed the broken molex pin and re crimped the wire. Feature lamps are officially active. My comet order and M&M orders are to arrive Thursday where I will be changing the drop target decals to the color matched and replacing the aged mini flipper bat. Comet will allow me to finish the LED job and at that point I will attach the remaining ramps/wire forms and the game will be complete pending play testing.

#80 4 months ago

I’m working today so only had time for a quick update. Got my decals and mini flipper in from M&M. Look at those color matched drops! Looks way better than the standard orange!

IMG_0907 (resized).jpegIMG_0907 (resized).jpeg
#81 4 months ago

Got my order from comet in, I think the game should be finished in the next couple of hours! Taking a small break though and will resume later! The translite looks amazing!

IMG_0911 (resized).jpegIMG_0911 (resized).jpeg
#82 3 months ago

Last two posts and ramp cover and then it’s complete!

On another note I wanted to try these new flashers from comet, LED but glass dome to look very close to original lamps

IMG_0909 (resized).jpegIMG_0909 (resized).jpegIMG_0914 (resized).jpegIMG_0914 (resized).jpegIMG_0915 (resized).jpegIMG_0915 (resized).jpeg
#83 3 months ago

Had to sort out an issue with the opto board, but all is working and we are play testing! Had a couple of misaligned rubbers that needed addressing but I finally got to see what I was waiting for!

IMG_0930 (resized).jpegIMG_0930 (resized).jpeg

#84 3 months ago

I believe the yellow rubber posts at the magic tunnel are upside down.

#85 3 months ago
Quoted from 8bitrobo:

Not sure, I’ve looked at several photos of them and a lot of them are facing this direction. I can’t tell from the promo flyer which way is correct.

#86 3 months ago

I had a Space Station that used that type of rupper by the ramp, and it definitely had the larger end on top. I think the purpose was to keep the ball from hitting the plastic.

I've always wanted a Swords of Fury. Great job on putting the game back together and giving it life. I definitely would have been stuck on putting the wire harness back properly.

#87 3 months ago
Quoted from 8bitrobo:

They sure are!

#88 3 months ago
Quoted from 8bitrobo:

I had a Space Station that used that type of rupper by the ramp, and it definitely had the larger end on top. I think the purpose was to keep the ball from hitting the plastic.
I've always wanted a Swords of Fury. Great job on putting the game back together and giving it life. I definitely would have been stuck on putting the wire harness back properly.

There!

IMG_0932 (resized).jpegIMG_0932 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Trade
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Apparel - Unisex
The GameRoom Store

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Birdsboro, PA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.