Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 415 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinDeLaPin
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210628_114937 (resized).jpg
    20210628_111719 (resized).jpg
    20210628_111806 (resized).jpg
    20210627_150041 (resized).jpg
    20200925_143904 (resized).jpg
    20201003_155150 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200926-080904_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    20200930_154425 (resized).jpg
    20200927_182907 (resized).jpg
    20200927_182644 (resized).jpg
    20200923_192230 (resized).jpg
    20200923_192220 (resized).jpg
    20200917_161824 (resized).jpg
    20200917_162527 (resized).jpg
    20200917_162516 (resized).jpg
    20200917_162448 (resized).jpg
    There are 415 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 9.
    #51 3 years ago

Marco has a bunch of 26-1200. Might be able to call them with the dimensions and ask. When I called they were very helpful

#52 3 years ago
    Quoted from Buzztime:

Marco has a bunch of 26-1200. Might be able to call them with the dimensions and ask. When I called they were very helpful

So far I only needed the one coil because when I took it apart the coil fell and basically unraveled

#53 3 years ago

I saw this post a while back:
    twintiers.craigslist.org link

Also read somewhere you can unwind a few coils and resolder the wire back onto the contacts and see if it works

#54 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

I couldn't find the coil for the score reels on marco or pinball life or even doing a google search. 3-26-1200 coil.

You're looking for Score Reel coils? I can send you 3 or 4 for a buck a piece plus shipping..

#55 3 years ago

Man I do love how people create these custom ways of attaching the pins to the pin hangers.

20200418_132409 (resized).jpg20200418_132409 (resized).jpg
    #56 3 years ago

This pinhood is beyond filthy and has been lets say "Improvised" to keep working. I have taken 3 pin assemblies off now and 2 had nails through them holding the pins on. I can only imagine how the rest will look when I get to them. Good thing is they are looking real good after a nice warm bath in the ultrasonic cleaner.

20200418_141720 (resized).jpg20200418_141720 (resized).jpg20200418_141609 (resized).jpg20200418_141609 (resized).jpg
    #57 3 years ago

Sometimes I shake my head, and sometimes I'm the guy making a "quick fix" that I tell myself I'll get to later.

Glad you are taking the high road.

#58 3 years ago

Man........do you ever sleep?

#59 3 years ago
    Quoted from electricsquirrel:

Man........do you ever sleep?

Let's just say I am more motivated on this project than most others I have laying around that are on my list to get done

#60 3 years ago

This thing is really cool. I wish I had room for one.

#61 3 years ago
    Quoted from electricsquirrel:

This thing is really cool. I wish I had room for one.

There is a back story here to me obsessing over this machine. About 35 years ago when I was 10yrs old my dad would drag me to this little tavern where you could also buy beer to go. While he was waiting for his order to be ready I would get to play an old ball bowler which i'm pretty sure was a 20' machine because it seemed so far down to the pins. I always told myself one day I will get one of those and now that day has finally come and like I said I am seriously motivated. A lot of happiness for sure came from buying this machine and I am sure a lot of happiness will come from playing it with my wife and kiddos and friends. My only regret is I never got one in time to share that fun and reliv that tiny moment from so long ago with my father.

#62 3 years ago

Still making progress tonight. Just got the 1st 3 pin assemblies reassembled after a nice deep cleaning of them and the deck. Moving on to the nxt 3 assemblies now and will hopefully get them done tonight.

20200418_200754 (resized).jpg20200418_200754 (resized).jpg
    #63 3 years ago

What goes well with cleaning a filthy pin reset motor you may ask? Why bourbon of course! As soon as I put a drop or 2 of oil on this old girl and bolt her back on the pinhood will be completely done.

20200419_133101 (resized).jpg20200419_133101 (resized).jpg
    #64 3 years ago

What are you drinking this time, @pindelapin?

#65 3 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

What are you drinking this time, pindelapin?

Just a little Bakers 8yr

#66 3 years ago

Ok i'm going to give this a pending WooHoo! Pretty sure i'm 100% done now with the pinhood but when i reseated the armature into the motor it just didn't seem right. The metal wheel is spinning when i spin the toothed armature on top so fingers crossed i'm making something out of nothing. Hopefully Mopar will weigh in on this and let me know if I f....ed something up or not. Otherwise I will now be moving on to the components on the door.

20200419_151814 (resized).jpg20200419_151814 (resized).jpg
    #67 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

when i reseated the armature into the motor it just didn't seem right.

Pindel, From that angle, I couldn't see the armature's tail, but that tail should spring out maybe about
    5/16" When sticking out, the cam should turn freely. When the armature is inward (which it does when
    energized) is when the armature should turn the cam (gear motor), and also the cam would have
    quite a bit of resistance when turning by hand from the armature being in.
    If the cam turns hard while the motor is in a resting position, then the armature must not be springing
    out. The reason would be that the small spring at the other end inside of of the gear box must be out of
    position..

#68 3 years ago

Got the pinhood back installed today. She's starting to look like a real ball bowler.

20200420_141014 (resized).jpg20200420_141014 (resized).jpg
    #69 3 years ago

Looks fantastic.

I'm jealous mine won't have that "bowler" look.

I'd bet you're enjoying this more than the shuffle project!

#70 3 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Looks fantastic.
    I'm jealous mine won't have that "bowler" look.
    I'd bet you're enjoying this more than the shuffle project!

Oh yeah this is way better than the shuffle alley. I was off last week so was able to really work at it but back to work this week. Will be just doing bits and pieces probably all week long.

#71 3 years ago

Well I started on the flash motor tonight. Should be able to knock it out tomorrow and hopefully start on something else.

20200420_190711 (resized).jpg20200420_190711 (resized).jpg
    #72 3 years ago

What's your estimated ready to play this thing time frame?

#73 3 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

What's your estimated ready to play this thing time frame?

Hmmm.. Well obviously I want this going asap but I am following @mopars advice to a T and being methodical with it. I don't think it is too far off to say I believe it will be up and running within the next 2 weeks. At this point the only things left to tackle are the components on the door and cleaning and lubricating the ball lift motor and assembly. I ordered a new set of pins for it also as the old ones were totally shot and they should be here by friday. I also ordered a new power cord and actually found a schematic for it on Marco so I grabbed that also. All in all I am very pleased where I am with it right now but of course I wish I was further along also. I am really striving for functionality first and then anything cosmetic will come 2nd. Long drawn out answer Ron but realistically I think within the 2 week window is where i'm hoping to land.

#74 3 years ago

2 weeks is fantastic! That's a quick turn around in my book, especially doing it right!

#75 3 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

2 weeks is fantastic! That's a quick turn around in my book, especially doing it right!

Well Ron maybe I am being overly optimistic but I truly believe that I am in the home stretch at this point. While I am tentatively banking on 2 weeks it could be more that is possible. I may come across some things that need to be readjusted which should be completely expected. However all I am doing is thoroughly cleaning a very very filthy game, rebuilding all steppers and adjusting any switches and then reassembling. You have to remember that this game was 90% functional when I got it so it was not a complete wreck like the last one I did. There have been a few people who have chimed in and offered up some advice on a few issues but as I stated I would not be anywhere near where I am with this machine had I not had all the help of @mopar. He is a wealth of knowledge and has freely shared it with me which is what has allowed me to get this game up and running so quickly and I am forever thankful for the help of his and everyone else who has been so kind with their information. Nothing will bring me more joy than to post a fully functioning video of this machine as soon as it is done so keep your eyes open for a video and you will know it's done.

#76 3 years ago

Well I ended up making good progress today after I finished up the flash motor I then got the spare stepper and the game selector unit and the frame control stepper done but ran out of time to finish the extra shots step up unit. That only leads me to finish up the extra shots stepper the score motor and the two banks of switches and to finish filing and cleaning the contacts and tightening the screws on all the switches and relays. Moving right along...

#77 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

There is a back story here to me obsessing over this machine. About 35 years ago when I was 10yrs old my dad would drag me to this little tavern where you could also buy beer to go. While he was waiting for his order to be ready I would get to play an old ball bowler which i'm pretty sure was a 20' machine because it seemed so far down to the pins. I always told myself one day I will get one of those and now that day has finally come and like I said I am seriously motivated. A lot of happiness for sure came from buying this machine and I am sure a lot of happiness will come from playing it with my wife and kiddos and friends. My only regret is I never got one in time to share that fun and reliv that tiny moment from so long ago with my father.

Your father has a huge grin on his face, I am positive of that.

#78 3 years ago

Ordered bulbs for the machine this morning and it's hard to believe but there are 162 bulbs in it plus 2 long fluorescent bulbs. Couldn't believe there was that many and had to count again to double check myself.

#79 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Ordered bulbs for the machine this morning and it's hard to believe but there are 162 bulbs in it plus 2 long fluorescent bulbs. Couldn't believe there was that many and had to count again to double check myself.

Funny was just telling my kid that the pitch and bat needed 114 bulbs Crazy

#80 3 years ago
    Quoted from bssbllr:

Funny was just telling my kid that the pitch and bat needed 114 bulbs Crazy

Yeah when I folded the back glass down and saw all those bulbs I was absolutely amazed and then when I removed the lower back glass and counted 48 more I was really Blown Away! Oh well I'm going through this machine from top to bottom so whatever needs swapping out will get swapped out. I went with sunlight 2smd frosted kens bulbs from comet pinball.

#81 3 years ago

You are doing a great job and I am having a good time watching the progress. I picked up the shuffle bowl that needs a going through which I am in the process to start. I’ve cleaned and dry lubed with Teflon all the mechanical switches on the alley which were rusty, so they took a bath in evaporust. Also the coin door and all hardware cleaned and dry lubed. So now just got my grease with Teflon from amazon to start cleaning s.u. And such.

#82 3 years ago
    Quoted from bssbllr:

You are doing a great job and I am having a good time watching the progress. I picked up the shuffle bowl that needs a going through which I am in the process to start. I’ve cleaned and dry lubed with Teflon all the mechanical switches on the alley which were rusty, so they took a bath in evaporust. Also the coin door and all hardware cleaned and dry lubed. So now just got my grease with Teflon from amazon to start cleaning s.u. And such.

Do yourself a favor and go through it and clean everything and get it all done at one time so you don't have to come back later and mess with something that you didn't clean the first time

#83 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Do yourself a favor and go through it and clean everything and get it all done at one time so you don't have to come back later and mess with something that you didn't clean the first time

That’s what I’m planning on doing after following you. Like you already know there is a lot to go through but I have time. I also got a pitch and bat game a week later from the same guy as a gift so that was cool but it also is apart and getting cleaned up. So both are in the living room and dining room. Haha to the wife but she’s been good so far. With those two and a DH pinball I have a great place to put the three but like you said want them to be working good because it would be a pain to pull them out later and to keep messing with them.

#84 3 years ago

I found someone selling the original sales flyer on ebay so I snagged it. I'm gonna frame it with some old barnwood I have laying around and hang it by the machine when it's finished.

20200422_134908 (resized).jpg20200422_134908 (resized).jpg
    #85 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

So far I only needed the one coil because when I took it apart the coil fell and basically unraveled

As you learned those coils can come apart. A couple I had to clamp together while I had the mechs apart. Plus I learned to gently tug on the ends to see if it would pop apart and unwind - thus helping me figure if I could leave it dangling by it's wires.

#86 3 years ago
    Quoted from PM_Jeremy:

As you learned those coils can come apart. A couple I had to clamp together while I had the mechs apart. Plus I learned to gently tug on the ends to see if it would pop apart and unwind - thus helping me figure if I could leave it dangling by it's wires.

Yeah it happened a few more times also. Luckily Mopar had some extras that I was able to buy off of him that just showed up today.

20200422_134036 (resized).jpg20200422_134036 (resized).jpg
    #87 3 years ago

Been a really good day for sure. I have finished the extra shots stepper so now everything to the left of the red line EXCEPT the score motor is done. Not sure if I will do that next or save it till last.

20200422_162656 (resized).jpg20200422_162656 (resized).jpg
    #88 3 years ago

Wow man, you are kicking ass with this thing!

#89 3 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Wow man, you are kicking ass with this thing!

I'm giving it hell Ron

#90 3 years ago

When I get to the ball lift motor assembly what exactly are the steps for getting it cleaned up? Are there any specific points that I should lube/grease and for the chain assembly anything special for that?

#91 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

When I get to the ball lift motor assembly what exactly are the steps for getting it cleaned up? Are there any specific points that I should lube/grease and for the chain assembly anything special for that?

I plasti-dipped my "forks" that carry the ball as they had no soft coating, just metal.

Does your motor turn freely?

#92 3 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

I plasti-dipped my "forks" that carry the ball as they had no soft coating, just metal.
    Does your motor turn freely?

Yes it's fully functional and lifts the balls no problem and it's got some plastic tubing stuff around the forks so that part is good. I guess what I'm referring to is in the process of removing the motor and cleaning it up in general I wasn't sure if there was some specific spots to add oil or just the typical Armature parts and then as far as the chain assembly I can see it has grease on it I didn't know if there was a specific type of grease that anybody like to use for that purpose.

#93 3 years ago

Some more good stuff just showed up in the mail today. New power cord and a copy of the schematic and a new to me replacement for my messed up ball. This ball has had some use for sure but at least it isn't missing a big divot like the old one.

20200423_152333 (resized).jpg20200423_152333 (resized).jpg
    #94 3 years ago

Old ball was missing a chunk the size of a dime

20200423_153534 (resized).jpg20200423_153534 (resized).jpg
    #95 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Old ball was missing a chunk the size of a dime[quoted image]

Oh, that's the professional ball. The divot is there so you can really put some spin on it

#97 3 years ago

Could of been I guess

#98 3 years ago

Seriously, what caused all those gashes on the ball ?

Is that typical?

#99 3 years ago

Ok so what a tedious bunch of work but i just finished filing every switch contact in this switch bank. Then I went through with alcohol on q-tips and cleaned every single contact and then tightened every single switch screw. Woo wee that is enough for tonight.

20200423_180803 (resized).jpg20200423_180803 (resized).jpg
    #100 3 years ago

Glad to see that I’m not the only one who does that, except I only do that on EMs - I don’t have the room for a bowler.

One extra step I take though, is to use a meter on every set of contacts once I’ve completed a relay. I only find a bad one once in a awhile, but it dramatically improves my confidence on my work.

Love what you’re doing.

There are 415 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reviving-a-1963-united-sabre-ball-bowler-/page/2?hl=dblm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.