Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 517 posts
  • 185 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 days ago by pindel
  • Topic is favorited by 98 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3015 (resized).jpg
    42BE77D3-B1F3-463E-83F5-2751823D7222 (resized).jpeg
    2ED9E7D4-CB34-428D-84EE-EC7DDD530566 (resized).jpeg
    EF7E8FD6-B99F-4DF4-B433-48DFEE34E394 (resized).jpeg
    099C4357-28D7-4CF3-919F-E7ED75CCDF2A (resized).jpeg
    4B8C486B-0B3F-4B0C-8747-4294E12DD0E1 (resized).jpeg
    7AD191E9-7F90-4B19-BAA4-C8F9BCBB7647 (resized).jpeg
    20201130_110021 (resized).jpg
    7707CFEA-9D91-4A1F-99DE-C2EC62A8ADE7 (resized).jpeg
    EC5B0ED4-31C4-4C8A-942F-3B24019D6BF5 (resized).jpeg
    2B4E2A02-3AA2-4F0D-8A43-A54A35E863E9 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7413D (resized).jpeg
    0E3883F4-7D70-4FAB-AFF6-3CF9714F7587 (resized).jpeg
    AF67548E-DAE5-43B1-A074-2D9F510CD105 (resized).jpeg
    99BCA700-8E8C-4870-A6A2-F36C509469DC (resized).jpeg
    A9158694-015C-41C1-B85F-987FDB085FCA (resized).jpeg
    There are 517 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 11.
    #351 3 years ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Keep in mind that every bolt puts pressure on the surface of the radcal and will create distortion on the surface. That's why I recessed my bolts on the whirlwind. The bolts are also for reinforcement and would never have to be removed.

Very good points! I just redid my Taxi (decals, then 4 coats of auto-clear), only to have small donut sized rings around 2 of the head bolts. I even backed the pressure off those 2 bolts, but donuts would lie down (finger massage them down) and always come back

#352 3 years ago

Problem with recessing the bolts is that you have to destroy the radcals if you ever need to disassemble the pin again. If you want accessibility without covering the bolts, you could also cut your radcals around the bolt heads - no donuts, but still have ability to disassemble. The radcals cut really nicely with a forstner or regular drill bit.

#353 3 years ago
    Quoted from Boslaw:

Problem with recessing the bolts is that you have to destroy the radcals if you ever need to disassemble the pin again

If you're disassembling the head down to boards, you've got a larger issue than some radcals getting messed up.

2 weeks later
    #354 3 years ago

Eagerly awaiting TZ. I am surprised this one hasn't already been made, considering the market potential (and the unfortunate fading issue).

#355 3 years ago

Does anybody know if the $365 US shipped price is still valid?

#356 3 years ago

Tz and sttng are now available for 369 usd shipped and listed in the Shops.

Regards,
    Mirco

20200811_143633 (resized).jpg20200811_143633 (resized).jpg20200811_143813 (resized).jpg20200811_143813 (resized).jpg
    #357 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

Very good points! I just redid my Taxi (decals, then 4 coats of auto-clear), only to have small doughnut sized rings around 2 of the head bolts. I even backed the pressure off those 2 bolts, but donuts would lie down (finger massage them down) and always come back

I recently bought a brand new cab with MM Rad Cals already installed on it. I noticed the donut raised areas around the hinge bolt holes in the bottom cab and thought it would be a big problem when I drilled the holes for the playfield support brackets (for some reason whoever did the cab didn't drill those). To my pleasant surprise though those four don't have any doughnut rings around them at all. I drilled from the inside out using sharp bits and a pilot hole but they look great even when looking straight down the side of cabinet. I did take care not to over-tighten them but since it's the playfield pivot and support I did make sure they were pretty tight. These decals are really beautiful and pleasant to the touch, if I ever do another cab I'd almost certainly use them again if available.

#358 3 years ago
    Quoted from Highclasspinball:

Tz and sttng are now available for 369 usd shipped and listed in the Shops.
    Regards,
    Mirco
    [quoted image][quoted image]

BSD seems missing from the shop? Are these still available?

#359 3 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

Very good points! I just redid my Taxi (decals, then 4 coats of auto-clear), only to have small doughnut sized rings around 2 of the head bolts. I even backed the pressure off those 2 bolts, but donuts would lie down (finger massage them down) and always come back

@bobukat for clarification to the Pinside Fans...
    I got a few doughnut sized rings around the bolts on my "Decaled cabinet with 4 coats of auto-clear", not on RadCals. I just wanted to be sure there was no misunderstanding. With that said: I do own 4 sets of RadCals and haven't installed them yet.

Kerry

#360 3 years ago

@bobukat for clarification to the Pinside Fans...
    I got a few doughnut sized rings around the bolts on my "Decaled cabinet with 4 coats of auto-clear", not on RadCals. I just wanted to be sure there was no misunderstanding. With that said: I do own 4 sets of RadCals and haven't installed them yet.
    Kerry

Oh sorry about that and thanks for clearing it up.

#361 3 years ago

Bsd is available, i will check the Shops later today...

Thanks for letting me know!

Regards,
    Mirco

1 month later
    #362 3 years ago

Regards,
    Mirco

Bump for BSD.

2 weeks later
    #363 3 years ago

Does anybody have pics of a finished Whitewater by chance?

#364 3 years ago

Just received a set for my Safe Cracker. Just wanted to check something before i start installation. I have some holes at the front of the cabinet for a lock bar and an alarm key - with normal decals you would fill these first. Can I just stick the Rad Cals over the holes without a problem? Would sure save some time, but I don’t want a sub-par result.

#365 3 years ago
    Quoted from dluth:

Just received a set for my Safe Cracker. Just wanted to check something before i start installation. I have some holes at the front of the cabinet for a lock bar and an alarm key - with normal decals you would fill these first. Can I just stick the Rad Cals over the holes without a problem? Would sure save some time, but I don’t want a sub-par result.

I'd still fill them. It may be obvious in the reflections otherwise.

#366 3 years ago

I would fill them also. Down the road you never know if they will magically appear.

#367 3 years ago

I too would fill them and paint the cabinet & head a solid color. Did you see the IJ install where he didn't paint first? You can see the original artwork and he was off about 1/2" from original.

#368 3 years ago

Is it advisable to paint solid white or solid black underneath?

#369 3 years ago

I'm doing 3 RadCals: Taxi (yellow under) / Indiana Jones (Black) and Bad Cats (Black? / Orange?) not sure yet.

I don't think you could be wrong with either Black or White. But I'd recommend you seeing those picts of IJ. I just don't know where they are, otherwise I'd repost them.

#370 3 years ago

Regards,
    Mirco

Still hoping to buy a set of these...

#371 3 years ago
    Quoted from ViperJelly:

Is it advisable to paint solid white or solid black underneath?

Paint it whatever the background color is. You still need to try and match the front of the head with the radcals.

#372 3 years ago

Thinking IJ so it may be black

#373 3 years ago

I'm going to paint my IJ all black before installation of RadCals

#374 3 years ago

I just picked up an Indy and plan to redo the cabinet artwork. Can anyone explain the pros and cons of rad cals vs regular side art decals? Is one better or worse or easier to do? Which looks better when done, etc? Thanks!

#375 3 years ago
    Quoted from sbmania:

I just picked up an Indy and plan to redo the cabinet artwork. Can anyone explain the pros and cons of rad cals vs regular side art decals? Is one better or worse or easier to do? Which looks better when done, etc? Thanks!

Radcals are super easy. No chance of bubbles or wrinkles. You just have to make sure that the cabinet is painted the color of the main background color of the radcal. I'd definitely use them again.

#376 3 years ago

I have installed dozens of cabinet decals over the years and if done right, they do require a ton of prep if you want them to look great. I usually clear the cabinet so they go over it like a sheet of glass.

I have installed 4 sets of Radcals and I still prep the cabinet the same as I do traditional decals so the work is the same.
    However, many folks just slap the radcals over the cabinet without much prep. I would not take the easy way out on this since you can see through the radcals of what is actually underneath.

Purists will always lean towards traditional decals, however, IF you want a thicker super glossy look, then Radcals are the way to go.

Applying Radcals aren't as simple as many folks think. You have to route out the holes for the buttons, hinge mounts, etc. and sometimes they are to long and you have to trim or edge to the wood and this can be very tedious and time consuming. With traditional decals, it is much easier to trim these areas out.

I am glad there are dual options out there for both types of consumers and I found that most of my new clients do like the super glossy thicker Radcals. I do still have a few that prefer the traditional look and want it to look as original as possible too.

#377 3 years ago

Lets go Creature from the Black Lagoon Radcals. My machine is ready to back together. Any ETA on the Radcals?

#378 3 years ago

I've read a tip that replacing the carriage bolts with elevator bolts (thin, flat head), as an alternative to recessing the carriage bolts for those that place the Rad Cal over the bolt heads.

Has anyone here tried this? If so, do you still recess the elevator bolts a bit? While the heads are thin, they aren't flush and I fear they'd otherwise cause raised sections in the Rad Cal after application.

Added over 4 years ago:

EDIT: I've discovered Forstner bits.

#379 3 years ago
    Quoted from sulli10:

Let me know on I 500

Quoted from Gov:

Another vote for Indy 500.

Yes... me too, Indy-500

4th vote for Indy 500!

#380 3 years ago
    Quoted from Schwaggs:

4th vote for Indy 500!

Another for i500 please!

#381 3 years ago

I would dearly like a set for Corvette! Please make that happen

#382 3 years ago
    Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Another for i500 please!

#383 3 years ago

Creech!!!!

#384 3 years ago

I have the i500 files, just need to find some time to work on them... ibhave proto and production versions, is there demand for proto? Need to check what the difference ist...

Regards,
    Mirco

#385 3 years ago

Thanks for putting these up in the store.

#386 3 years ago

I hope there will be some love for Road Show soon.

#387 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kevlar51:

I've read a tip that replacing the carriage bolts with elevator bolts (thin, flat head), as an alternative to recessing the carriage bolts for those that place the Rad Cal over the bolt heads.
    Has anyone here tried this? If so, do you still recess the elevator bolts a bit? While the heads are thin, they aren't flush and I fear they'd otherwise cause raised sections in the Rad Cal after application.

Added 2 days ago: EDIT: I've discovered Forstner bits.

Did you fill in the cavity between the bolt head and the edge of the cab to make it smooth?

#388 3 years ago

I have the i500 files, just need to find some time to work on them... ibhave proto and production versions, is there demand for proto? Need to check what the difference ist...
    Regards,
    Mirco

Creech update please.

#389 3 years ago
    Quoted from ViperJelly:

Did you fill in the cavity between the bolt head and the edge of the cab to make it smooth?

No—it wasn’t necessary. Elevator bolts have large flat heads, and if you recess them to be flush with the cabinet, it’s smooth (assuming the hole drilled to recess doesn’t have a significantly larger diameter that the bolt head).

#390 3 years ago

Regards,
    Mirco

I vote for production, not sure what the difference is. Either would look better than my current fade!

#391 3 years ago

Regards,
    Mirco

Whoooo hooo! Thanks!

Prototype Indy 500 is just red, production has the fade from red to orange.

Prototype:
    https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2853&picno=74157

Production:
    https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2853&picno=12063

I would prefer production.

#392 3 years ago

I like the proto

#393 3 years ago

Anyone have pictures of the 2 Bride of Pinbot versions?

#394 3 years ago

Do we know if (or when) Mousin Around RadCals will be produced?

#395 3 years ago

Regards,
    Mirco

I’d buy a set of either, production version preferred.

#396 3 years ago

Yes, i have the files and will have ma soon. Just need some time on the printer which is not easy right now...

Regards,
    Mirco

#397 3 years ago

Yes, i have the files and will have ma soon. Just need some time on the printer which is not easy right now...
    Regards,
    Mirco

Awesome! Thanks for the update!

#398 3 years ago

Mark down another production i500 set here!

1 week later
    #399 3 years ago

When are you gonna run RadCals for SlugFest?

#400 3 years ago
    Quoted from allsportdvd:

I would dearly like a set for Corvette! Please make that happen

No love for Corvette???

There are 517 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/revised-rad-cals-for-many-more-wms-games/page/8?hl=boslaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.