New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 233335)

Revised RAD CALS for many more WMS games

By Highclasspinball

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 408 posts
  • 156 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by shokel328
  • Topic is favorited by 88 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 92 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

8F4B9D8C-DDFF-48C6-88FB-546D2D332F81 (resized).jpeg
    E5A3BAAC-2971-4463-A105-4AF397164C74 (resized).jpeg
    115F4E7E-36A2-4472-B9F0-A57C3C4140E9 (resized).jpeg
    560761D5-1708-4827-82B5-B53B55482533 (resized).jpeg
    63F30F22-A8C6-43BA-B083-7C7ECBAD595B (resized).jpeg
    697B5F47-3CDB-4A7F-AA1C-EA276F20EA16 (resized).jpeg
    E349E097-2BBF-47D5-BA9C-0B1328B5C3AA (resized).jpeg
    91854825-1E61-4654-B674-AFCDB5338A1E (resized).jpeg
    53FDA0F8-15AD-41C3-A861-C01DAAD321A1 (resized).jpeg
    95799A68-C50D-425F-85D0-196BCEFEF250 (resized).jpeg
    20200811_143813 (resized).jpg
    20200811_143633 (resized).jpg
    495270C3-1A40-45DC-82A9-91E668C64212 (resized).jpeg
    7195CA41-5644-4D99-A8FB-630C75EC4A06 (resized).jpeg
    DAF9C78B-D122-4B82-A8B9-1E7B39BC8C6B (resized).jpeg
    9F3EC749-FE96-423B-9A9B-4D41DFBD2DF4 (resized).jpeg

There are 408 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 9.
    #351 4 months ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Keep in mind that every bolt puts pressure on the surface of the radcal and will create distortion on the surface. That's why I recessed my bolts on the whirlwind. The bolts are also for reinforcement and would never have to be removed.

Very good points! I just redid my Taxi (decals, then 4 coats of auto-clear), only to have small donut sized rings around 2 of the head bolts. I even backed the pressure off those 2 bolts, but donuts would lie down (finger massage them down) and always come back

#352 4 months ago

Problem with recessing the bolts is that you have to destroy the radcals if you ever need to disassemble the pin again. If you want accessibility without covering the bolts, you could also cut your radcals around the bolt heads - no donuts, but still have ability to disassemble. The radcals cut really nicely with a forstner or regular drill bit.

#353 4 months ago
    Quoted from Boslaw:

Problem with recessing the bolts is that you have to destroy the radcals if you ever need to disassemble the pin again

If you're disassembling the head down to boards, you've got a larger issue than some radcals getting messed up.

2 weeks later
    #354 3 months ago

Eagerly awaiting TZ. I am surprised this one hasn't already been made, considering the market potential (and the unfortunate fading issue).

#355 3 months ago

Does anybody know if the $365 US shipped price is still valid?

#356 3 months ago

Tz and sttng are now available for 369 usd shipped and listed in the Shops.

Regards,
    Mirco

20200811_143633 (resized).jpg20200811_143813 (resized).jpg
    #357 3 months ago
    Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

Very good points! I just redid my Taxi (decals, then 4 coats of auto-clear), only to have small doughnut sized rings around 2 of the head bolts. I even backed the pressure off those 2 bolts, but donuts would lie down (finger massage them down) and always come back

I recently bought a brand new cab with MM Rad Cals already installed on it. I noticed the donut raised areas around the hinge bolt holes in the bottom cab and thought it would be a big problem when I drilled the holes for the playfield support brackets (for some reason whoever did the cab didn't drill those). To my pleasant surprise though those four don't have any doughnut rings around them at all. I drilled from the inside out using sharp bits and a pilot hole but they look great even when looking straight down the side of cabinet. I did take care not to over-tighten them but since it's the playfield pivot and support I did make sure they were pretty tight. These decals are really beautiful and pleasant to the touch, if I ever do another cab I'd almost certainly use them again if available.

#358 3 months ago
    Quoted from Highclasspinball:

Tz and sttng are now available for 369 usd shipped and listed in the Shops.
    Regards,
    Mirco
    [quoted image][quoted image]

BSD seems missing from the shop? Are these still available?

#359 3 months ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

Very good points! I just redid my Taxi (decals, then 4 coats of auto-clear), only to have small doughnut sized rings around 2 of the head bolts. I even backed the pressure off those 2 bolts, but donuts would lie down (finger massage them down) and always come back

@bobukat for clarification to the Pinside Fans...
    I got a few doughnut sized rings around the bolts on my "Decaled cabinet with 4 coats of auto-clear", not on RadCals. I just wanted to be sure there was no misunderstanding. With that said: I do own 4 sets of RadCals and haven't installed them yet.

Kerry

#360 3 months ago

@bobukat for clarification to the Pinside Fans...
    I got a few doughnut sized rings around the bolts on my "Decaled cabinet with 4 coats of auto-clear", not on RadCals. I just wanted to be sure there was no misunderstanding. With that said: I do own 4 sets of RadCals and haven't installed them yet.
    Kerry

Oh sorry about that and thanks for clearing it up.

#361 3 months ago

Bsd is available, i will check the Shops later today...

Thanks for letting me know!

Regards,
    Mirco

1 month later
    #362 79 days ago

Regards,
    Mirco

Bump for BSD.

2 weeks later
    #363 60 days ago

Does anybody have pics of a finished Whitewater by chance?

#364 60 days ago

Just received a set for my Safe Cracker. Just wanted to check something before i start installation. I have some holes at the front of the cabinet for a lock bar and an alarm key - with normal decals you would fill these first. Can I just stick the Rad Cals over the holes without a problem? Would sure save some time, but I don’t want a sub-par result.

#365 59 days ago
    Quoted from dluth:

Just received a set for my Safe Cracker. Just wanted to check something before i start installation. I have some holes at the front of the cabinet for a lock bar and an alarm key - with normal decals you would fill these first. Can I just stick the Rad Cals over the holes without a problem? Would sure save some time, but I don’t want a sub-par result.

I'd still fill them. It may be obvious in the reflections otherwise.

#366 59 days ago

I would fill them also. Down the road you never know if they will magically appear.

#367 59 days ago

I too would fill them and paint the cabinet & head a solid color. Did you see the IJ install where he didn't paint first? You can see the original artwork and he was off about 1/2" from original.

#368 59 days ago

Is it advisable to paint solid white or solid black underneath?

#369 59 days ago

I'm doing 3 RadCals: Taxi (yellow under) / Indiana Jones (Black) and Bad Cats (Black? / Orange?) not sure yet.

I don't think you could be wrong with either Black or White. But I'd recommend you seeing those picts of IJ. I just don't know where they are, otherwise I'd repost them.

#370 59 days ago

Regards,
    Mirco

Still hoping to buy a set of these...

#371 59 days ago
    Quoted from ViperJelly:

Is it advisable to paint solid white or solid black underneath?

Paint it whatever the background color is. You still need to try and match the front of the head with the radcals.

#372 57 days ago

Thinking IJ so it may be black

#373 57 days ago

I'm going to paint my IJ all black before installation of RadCals

#374 52 days ago

I just picked up an Indy and plan to redo the cabinet artwork. Can anyone explain the pros and cons of rad cals vs regular side art decals? Is one better or worse or easier to do? Which looks better when done, etc? Thanks!

#375 52 days ago
    Quoted from sbmania:

I just picked up an Indy and plan to redo the cabinet artwork. Can anyone explain the pros and cons of rad cals vs regular side art decals? Is one better or worse or easier to do? Which looks better when done, etc? Thanks!

Radcals are super easy. No chance of bubbles or wrinkles. You just have to make sure that the cabinet is painted the color of the main background color of the radcal. I'd definitely use them again.

#376 51 days ago

I have installed dozens of cabinet decals over the years and if done right, they do require a ton of prep if you want them to look great. I usually clear the cabinet so they go over it like a sheet of glass.

I have installed 4 sets of Radcals and I still prep the cabinet the same as I do traditional decals so the work is the same.
    However, many folks just slap the radcals over the cabinet without much prep. I would not take the easy way out on this since you can see through the radcals of what is actually underneath.

Purists will always lean towards traditional decals, however, IF you want a thicker super glossy look, then Radcals are the way to go.

Applying Radcals aren't as simple as many folks think. You have to route out the holes for the buttons, hinge mounts, etc. and sometimes they are to long and you have to trim or edge to the wood and this can be very tedious and time consuming. With traditional decals, it is much easier to trim these areas out.

I am glad there are dual options out there for both types of consumers and I found that most of my new clients do like the super glossy thicker Radcals. I do still have a few that prefer the traditional look and want it to look as original as possible too.

#377 51 days ago

Lets go Creature from the Black Lagoon Radcals. My machine is ready to back together. Any ETA on the Radcals?

#378 47 days ago

I've read a tip that replacing the carriage bolts with elevator bolts (thin, flat head), as an alternative to recessing the carriage bolts for those that place the Rad Cal over the bolt heads.

Has anyone here tried this? If so, do you still recess the elevator bolts a bit? While the heads are thin, they aren't flush and I fear they'd otherwise cause raised sections in the Rad Cal after application.

Added 47 days ago:

EDIT: I've discovered Forstner bits.

#379 46 days ago
    Quoted from sulli10:

Let me know on I 500

Quoted from Gov:

Another vote for Indy 500.

Yes... me too, Indy-500

4th vote for Indy 500!

#380 46 days ago
    Quoted from Schwaggs:

4th vote for Indy 500!

Another for i500 please!

#381 46 days ago

I would dearly like a set for Corvette! Please make that happen

#383 45 days ago

Creech!!!!

#384 44 days ago

I have the i500 files, just need to find some time to work on them... ibhave proto and production versions, is there demand for proto? Need to check what the difference ist...

Regards,
    Mirco

#385 44 days ago

Thanks for putting these up in the store.

#386 44 days ago

I hope there will be some love for Road Show soon.

#387 44 days ago
    Quoted from Kevlar51:

I've read a tip that replacing the carriage bolts with elevator bolts (thin, flat head), as an alternative to recessing the carriage bolts for those that place the Rad Cal over the bolt heads.
    Has anyone here tried this? If so, do you still recess the elevator bolts a bit? While the heads are thin, they aren't flush and I fear they'd otherwise cause raised sections in the Rad Cal after application.

Added 2 days ago: EDIT: I've discovered Forstner bits.

Did you fill in the cavity between the bolt head and the edge of the cab to make it smooth?

#388 44 days ago

I have the i500 files, just need to find some time to work on them... ibhave proto and production versions, is there demand for proto? Need to check what the difference ist...
    Regards,
    Mirco

Creech update please.

#389 44 days ago
    Quoted from ViperJelly:

Did you fill in the cavity between the bolt head and the edge of the cab to make it smooth?

No—it wasn’t necessary. Elevator bolts have large flat heads, and if you recess them to be flush with the cabinet, it’s smooth (assuming the hole drilled to recess doesn’t have a significantly larger diameter that the bolt head).

#390 44 days ago

Regards,
    Mirco

I vote for production, not sure what the difference is. Either would look better than my current fade!

#391 44 days ago

Regards,
    Mirco

Whoooo hooo! Thanks!

Prototype Indy 500 is just red, production has the fade from red to orange.

Prototype:
    https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2853&picno=74157

Production:
    https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2853&picno=12063

I would prefer production.

#392 44 days ago

I like the proto

#393 44 days ago

Anyone have pictures of the 2 Bride of Pinbot versions?

#394 42 days ago

Do we know if (or when) Mousin Around RadCals will be produced?

#395 41 days ago

Regards,
    Mirco

I’d buy a set of either, production version preferred.

#396 41 days ago

Yes, i have the files and will have ma soon. Just need some time on the printer which is not easy right now...

Regards,
    Mirco

#397 39 days ago

Yes, i have the files and will have ma soon. Just need some time on the printer which is not easy right now...
    Regards,
    Mirco

Awesome! Thanks for the update!

#398 39 days ago

Mark down another production i500 set here!

1 week later
    #399 31 days ago

When are you gonna run RadCals for SlugFest?

#400 29 days ago
    Quoted from allsportdvd:

I would dearly like a set for Corvette! Please make that happen

No love for Corvette???

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 9.95
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Playfield - Protection
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 64.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    € 60.00
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Other
    YouBentMyWookie
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 52.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 30.00
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 12.50
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Gweem's Mods
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 78.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 19.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    € 18.95
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 35.95
    Playfield - Other
    MicksPinball
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D Tech. Pinball Parts
    $ 1,000.00
    $ 130.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinwize.com
    There are 408 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 9.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside