(Topic ID: 66221)

review: Super-Bands™ Flipper Rubbers (work in progress)

By HighProtein

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 81 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1SaturnVsSuperbandCleanup.png
    123acdcHIGHscore.PNG
    123ACDCatLAT30.PNG
    CVsuperband4.jpg
    CVsuperband3.jpg
    CVsuperband2.jpg
    CVsuperband1.jpg
    Saturn 2.jpeg
    1NoFearSBs.PNG
    1CFTBLrubberSUPERbands.PNG
    1SSTcoolCOLORS.PNG
    1SUPERbands.PNG
    There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

review: Super-Bands™ Flipper Rubbers

I put this under "mods" as it's new and atypical to have urethane in a game.
    That isn't good or bad, it just is new and modern and they look damn good so far.

I just received my package of rubbers which will go on some of my pinball machines.
    I am quite interested in seeing how they perform on my games on route like World Cup Soccer.

Some of these will go to friends' games and eventually footage
    shall be taken of their games in action once they are worked in.

Currently installed in:
    Creature from the Black Lagoon (collector's game)(video posted)

Games they should be going on:
    World Cup Soccer (on route)
    Some friend's game haha
    TBD game

1SUPERbands.PNG1SUPERbands.PNG

#2 10 years ago

Glad to see a pic of these under "normal" lighting instead of a product pic. Was a little worried that colors might not be as vibrant as the competitor's from product shots, but totally not hesitating to order these at all now..that purple is gonna look freakin' sweet on my STTNG, and orange on Getaway.

#3 10 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

orange on Getaway

Yeap, put orange on my Getaway earlier this week & they look great and play even better. Good grip, good skill shots, They are holding up so far. I also set another high score on my HS, that is enough for me! I don't think you can say that about "you-know-who's"...BOOM!

#5 10 years ago

I will do my best not to let there be confusion in-between what games have what rubbers.
    I shall only have 1 type/brand of flipper rubber on each game if possible.
    The only game that I should end up having mix brands on is Starship Troopers
    with Saturn standard flipper rubbers and Super-Band mini flipper rubber.

#6 10 years ago

The Super-Band mini next to standard size SATURN rubber didn't work out.
    They are real tight together and rub rub rub and the SATURN got damage after 4 games.

1SSTcoolCOLORS.PNG1SSTcoolCOLORS.PNG
    #7 10 years ago

I'm pretty sure the Super-Band flipper will work just fine with 2 regular rubber flippers.

#8 10 years ago

so some posts have been made that the Saturn rings have failed after short use how about the super bands?

#9 10 years ago

I haven't heard of ANY problems with Super-Bands and I ordered some in BLUE for my JD. I'll report back after I get them and play for awhile.

#10 10 years ago

pics?

#11 10 years ago

I've yet to put a set on a game on route yet.
    World Cup Soccer gets them soon.

#12 10 years ago

Who had the minis? I looked at both sites, didn't see them.

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballocks:

Who had the minis? I looked at both sites, didn't see them.

Only Super-Band @ Marco has them, I ordered one.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from Zdoor:

Just ordered some to try.

Cool, please post photos and results once they are tried.

#16 10 years ago

Why are all the pics and video of them still inside the bag?

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from Anth:

Why are all the pics and video of them still inside the bag?

Want a photo of them un-bagged?

#18 10 years ago

Do they work better? Stay cleaner? Why are they better? I don't get it..

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from HighProtein:

Want a photo of them un-bagged?

All you seem to have reviewed so far is the different colors and how they fit on one game. I think he, like me, was expecting a review of how they play. If you're only reviewing appearance, you might want to change the subject line to reflect that.

#20 10 years ago

I think Marco is coming to the Houston Pin show in a few weeks.
    I will certainly be picking up some of these if they bring them.

#21 10 years ago

The SuperBands will be on some of the games at Pinball Expo in Chicago next week as per a post in another thread. looking towards your review "HP" after some plays. Thanks for posting the great pics of your shipment.

#22 10 years ago

Now, if you're a Mr. Common Sense, you won't believe me when I tell you that I've got a ring that will clean your pin while you're playing it at home. Well, George, believe me this time, because this one isn't like the Austrian self-sharpening razors. No, friends, no overheating like the tropical fishes. No zizzing and dripping like the early prophylactics of the 30's dear friends, no... (click!)

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

All you seem to have reviewed so far is the different colors and how they fit on one game. I think he, like me, was expecting a review of how they play. If you're only reviewing appearance, you might want to change the subject line to reflect that.

The Saturn review is in gear with footage of the flipper rubbers in action.

Captain obvious award of the weekend goes to you sir!
    I haven't uploaded footage of these rubbers in action as they have not been but on the games
    that I will be putting them on yet (that has already been explained in the thread as well).

A review starts off with how they look first.
    Lastly, impatience is not a virtue.

#24 10 years ago

Installed in ACDC LE and like them. Put about 10 games on and they play well. Like the look and choice of multiple colors for the mini play field is cool. The translucent quality is nice with good lighting. Happy with them so far. Will see how they hold up...

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from HighProtein:

Captain obvious award of the weekend goes to you sir!

What's obvious is that this isn't really a review. I tried to tell you nicely why others were questioning the thread after you gave one a hard time. If you want to see captain obvious, take a look in the mirror.

Quoted from HighProtein:

A review starts off with how they look first.

A complete review would include how they play. I get that folks here are interested in all the colors, but we've already seen the colors on the website. You're not adding much to the conversation so far other than don't mix the two on ST.

#26 10 years ago

I put some in iron man and x men so far I'm really digging them

I'm going to add them in AFM which seems to chew through rubbers

#27 10 years ago

I'm about to drop an order of these as well to put on F-14 and NASCAR to see how they play especially on F-14, should be interesting.

#28 10 years ago

Creature from the Black Laggon in action with Super-Band flipper rubbers

CFTBL plays quite well with these.
    This was the first game after installing them.
    I could hit every shot with ease overall and they bounce just fine for me.

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

What's obvious is that this isn't really a review.

Yet, it takes time to see how they hold up on route and time to get to video taping how well they play.
    All others are patient, you just have nothing better in the universe than to chime in.
    I thank you for your impatience as it has inspired me to make sure footage is up today for those interested.

Quoted from phishrace:

A complete review would include how they play.

Captain Obvious award 2 of the day for you sir, you're a champion of captain obvious skills.
    Video is being uploaded right now, I hope those that care to see them in action enjoy them.
    Again, I do thank you for your trolling, all trolling can inspire more action and productivity, troll on!

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from HighProtein:

Creature from the Black Laggon in action with Super-Band flipper rubbers
    » YouTube video

Why... these just seem like ... flipper rubbers!! And after all this drama.

And since you respond so well to criticism - you should have fully cleaned those bats before putting on the rings!
    I can SEE that crud still on 'em Tough crowd on the interwebz...

Serious question: do you have to have Hulk-like strength to get these over the bats? I'm hoping the earlier comments were made by those prone to fainting spells.

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from Manic:

And since you respond so well to criticism - you should have fully cleaned those bats before putting on the rings!
    Serious question: do you have to have Hulk-like strength to get these over the bats? I'm hoping the earlier comments were made by those prone to fainting spells.

-Super-Bands are a little more difficult to put on than SATURN ones,
    yeah you need to stretch them some and have some finger strength.

-I don't really care about if there is crud on the flipper bats on a game that isn't mine
    (or to some degree on games I have on route), it's the rubbers people want to see in action.

#32 10 years ago

Love them on my sttng. Big difference.

#33 10 years ago

Sounds like from this totally unbiased review I should just toss those SATURNS in the trash when they get here and not bother to put them on my games.

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from JimB:

Love them on my sttng. Big difference.

Mind posting a photo and video?

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Sounds like from this totally unbiased review I should just toss those SATURNS in the trash when they get here and not bother to put them on my games.

I'm just posting photos and videos as real-time as possible of both to show how they work on games in personal collections and on route in different conditions over the next few weeks to months to give the pinball community clarity on what they may or may not want to invest money in.

#36 10 years ago

I found my first defect in Super-Band today on the Creature from the Black Lagoon ones...
    One is fine and flat, the other is curved in on one side and stretches tighter than the flat one...

One on the left is fine / One on the right has the curve in it

1CFTBLrubberSUPERbands.PNG1CFTBLrubberSUPERbands.PNG
    #37 10 years ago
    Quoted from HighProtein:

I'm just posting photos and videos as real-time as possible of both to show how they work on games in personal collections and on route in different conditions over the next few weeks to months to give the pinball community clarity on what they may or may not want to invest money in.

Fair enough, I am actually more interested in the shooter tips the white rubber ones I bought are junk, won't stay centered on the rod and just fall apart.

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from Manic:

Why do you guys have to bust my balls

I haven't even got this baby home yet for a shop job. I do appreciate the new rubbers though HighProtein. Oh, and play away.

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Fair enough, I am actually more interested in the shooter tips the white rubber ones I bought are junk, won't stay centered on the rod and just fall apart.

Let us know what happens.
    I will be trying out shooter tips as well in the future.

#40 10 years ago

Yesterday I took off the regular rubber on the main flippers and the Saturn
    flipper rubber on the 3rd flipper of my No Fear @ Young Loud and Snotty records.
    I put a 3 piece set of Super-Bands on this game and enjoyed the results.
    The highlight is that the 3rd flipper rubber hit the ball better than any other rubber I've tried.
    I have hit that shot a few 100 times in my life and it hit best with these so far.
    (post video of these in action sooner than later)

Here are the main 2 flipper rubbers...

1NoFearSBs.PNG1NoFearSBs.PNG
    #41 10 years ago

Played some games with these yesterday. First impressions weren't favorable. Shots felt awkward—backhands especially so. I actually was able (if you can call it that) to backhand a ball into a slingshot and out the opposite outlane and generally it seemed I was always pulling backhand shots. Traps seemed a little easier and spinning balls seemed to do fewer unpredictable things. Couldn't get a loop pass to work on any game with urethane flippers. The ball seems like it almost slides down the rubber when you drop the flipper as opposed to bouncing over. I have a bunch coming to try out and perhaps I can give a better description after I play some of my own games with these things.

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from HighProtein:

Let us know what happens.
    I will be trying out shooter tips as well in the future.

Will do.

I bought med and hard so I will see which work better for the shooters.
    I bought hard med and soft on the rings, out of stock on a lot of the medium colors so it looks like a lot of guys are going medium on these.

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from HighProtein:

I just received my package of rubbers which will go on all of my pinball machines.

Just curious if you decided to put them on all your machines before you even tried them. I know this is supposed to be a better product than the competition, but after one game with the "others" on there, I couldn't wait to get them off. I will also try superbands, but I have no intention of putting them on all my machines unless they out-perform regular rubbers during gameplay.

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Will do.
    I bought med and hard so I will see which work better for the shooters.
    I bought hard med and soft on the rings, out of stock on a lot of the medium colors so it looks like a lot of guys are going medium on these.

But this is the superbands complaint/comment dept... only one type of hardness. Don't confuse me ... but I DO want to hear about the Saturn in the other thread

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Just curious if you decided to put them on all your machines before you even tried them. I know this is supposed to be a better product than the competition, but after one game with the "others" on there, I couldn't wait to get them off. I will also try superbands, but I have no intention of putting them on all my machines unless they out-perform regular rubbers during gameplay.

I didn't get the superbands for ALL my machines but I bought more than I should to justify the shipping. So if I end up taking them all off I'll be cursing away over here... should have them in a couple days. Quit scaring me in the meantime.

I DID buy some standard blue, black and red though... figured I'll always need these.

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from Manic:

Quit scaring me in the meantime.

I wasn't trying to scare you, but the ones I put on METLE (not super bands) made the flippers feel very weak. Good for the longevity of playfield parts, but for gameplay, not so much.

#47 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Thanks for the heads up, not these aren't going on all of them, many of them.
    I figure why not try them on my games on route and see if they're worth getting in the long run.

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I wasn't trying to scare you, but the ones I put on METLE (not super bands) made the flippers feel very weak. Good for the longevity of playfield parts, but for gameplay, not so much.

100% opposite of what I found.

Putting those number 2 Saturn Rings on MET made hitting the ramps easy and effortless. Feels like I put more powerful coils on the pin. In fact they feel too strong on AFM so I will probably take them off.

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

In fact they feel too strong on AFM so I will probably take them off.

I thought that was because they broke.

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I thought that was because they broke.

Why would you think that?

Saturn 2.jpegSaturn 2.jpeg
    There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/review-super-bands%e2%84%a2-flipper-rubbers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.