Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,968 posts
  • 326 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 56 minutes ago by Sorokyl
  • Topic is favorited by 188 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2062 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3125 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3126 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3127 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3129 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3128 (resized).jpeg
    70200477285__4506A207-1186-4D98-9B84-C6E9DFB6AD0C (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1648 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1651 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6936 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6938 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6932 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2794 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2795 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2793 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2792 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1246 Flipper measurements Posted by DiabloRush (1 year ago)

Post #1320 Settings database links. Posted by Ollulanus (1 year ago)

Post #2055 Install procedure on a JJP Guns 'n Roses. Posted by fooflighter (1 year ago)

Post #2099 TECH: ASSEMBLY Fix for flipper that won't clamp Posted by Duster72 (1 year ago)

Post #2541 Flipper removal process Posted by 1956PINHEAD (8 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lorddrek.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#33 1 year ago

Reviewer writes and acts like a concerned party I think that is quite clear. It is however an interesting product that I had seen before this post but the current pricing is outside the range of my desire to buy a better mousetrap. Maybe someday my needs will change and an application will arise…

1 month later
    #553 1 year ago

Phat Bats.

2 months later
    #1147 1 year ago

So I finally pulled the original style PPP flippers off my Star Trek pro they were just too powerful. The ball would rocket around and air ball worse than ever. Also the behind flipper “Away Team” shot was much harder to make because the flipper rigidity would bounce it back out rather than the deadened drop into plunger lane.

Also the shots definitely changed. For anyone who uses ball position on flipper for accuracy and repeatability this moves to a later point.

But for ANY game that would benefit from some additional flipper strength this is a no brainer. I ended up putting them in my Judge Dredd that suffered from a generally soggy feel with barely make it ramp shots it now shoots almost like a modern Stern. And this is with stock plastic bushings. So metal bushings are not needed to gain flipper strength. Nice to have and pair up with but works well without. Not enough time on Star Trek with just bushings to form an opinion but how could it not be beneficial to some degree…

#1197 1 year ago

Less flange. Problem solved. It currently mimics the plastic version and the same buildup is not needed. Maybe it was that prominent for a little extra structure. Clearly not an issue with these…

#1209 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

That could be related to the height of the bushing raising the flipper slightly too high off the PF. Sounds like that may be adjusted down so they're a more standard height.

Could also be related to the increased power transfer everyone seems to be reporting…

#1288 1 year ago
    Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

mbeardsley Here's your answer, and its a simple one. As the designer I determined what was critical and what wasn't at the onset. This project started with a 'clean sheet of paper' as they say. That's the benefit of being a designer and not relying on what someone else did in the past. My approach was to test until I was satisfied. I've been playing pinball for going on 61 years now, while I don't compete in tournaments I do consider myself to be capable enough to determine what works well and what doesn't. I also made certain to get testers out in the field to gather additional feedback, DiabloRush being one of those testers. If you've read some of his postings in this thread you might pick up on the fact he's a pretty smart guy, enjoys ponball too
    Lastly, the refinements that have been made have not changed the primary geometery/interface of the shaft and flipper, that was and has been well established from the beginning of my play testing. That interface is a key element in establishing the flipper bat/rubber height from the playfield. There are a lot of design elements that make up this system that aren't so visually evident. Again, since you haven't actually seen, touched, or played them you would not have first hand knowledge or awarness of any of these details. I'll state the obvious to anyone who owns or has played them compared to the plastics, they play better despite the very minor differences in where "I" chose to place the rubber onto the flipper bat. The shape was driven by weight savings, longevity, aesthetics, and the desire to 'be different' from what was done before.
    Thanks for posting your thoughts, I appreciate the opportunity to share some of what transpired when I started this venture to bring something new to the pinball community

DF41EEA7-4400-42D5-A91C-DD1A0D2AD269 (resized).jpegDF41EEA7-4400-42D5-A91C-DD1A0D2AD269 (resized).jpeg
    #1313 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ashram56:

For reference, I installed the precision flippers on a very recent GZ build, and the clamps were super super tight, to the point that I could not slide the shaft in the clamp. I had to use a trick to pry open the clamp (essentially reversing the clamping screw and sliding a piece of metal so that when screwing in the screw would push on the metal and open slightly the clamp). This happened on all three flippers on GZ, so I can only assume their manufacturing slightly changed the clamps

I like this way more than my previous screw driver as prybar trick…

1 week later
    #1393 1 year ago

I’m probably in the minority here but I’d love to see a less costly flipper bat without the adjustable shaft. And while the machined bushings are a nice upgrade they are not necessary.

If one could get into these at a lower price range I suspect they would toss them in more games. The current pricing is over $50 a flipper. I’d imagine a bat with a press fit shaft would be significantly cheaper…

For the record my experience with these is full set non halos in a Star Trek pro ending up being way too powerful. Blinding ball speed and way too many air balls. Ended up putting just the bats in my Judge Dredd and they gave new life to the game. Left the bushings in ST with stock bats and really the only difference noticed is cleaner flipper play. Like live catch, cradle, backhand stuff. This makes sense because I had a shattered bushing in another game and while it flipped well the slop made cradles and ball passes indicate something was clearly wrong.

Bottom line love the product and it’s priced fairly for what it is. A true asset to the community! I just think some real economy options would go a long way…

#1398 1 year ago
    Quoted from Lopa:

This is a premium product and it should stay that way. There are plenty of lower cost flippers on the market. IMO the pinball hobby has been in need of quality machines products for as long as it’s been around.

A standard or halo bat on a press fit shaft would still be a premium product. The adjustable shaft is a convenience not some revolutionary game changing design.

The last option nose dived due to poor production. Money was refunded and they disappeared into the sunset.

Quality and affordability can share the same boat. There is enough seating for all…

#1400 1 year ago

I get it.

“In a world of compromise some don’t.”

I was a fanboi once too…

#1421 1 year ago

Yeah if there is no significant manufacturing savings to be passed along to consumer then why do it. Thanks for the consideration. As has been heavily reviewed here there is always always a balance that is clear. Too clear in this thread actually.

Now on to the broken bushing. Interesting. I surmise the lack of flex throughout the age old linkage system puts all that shock into what has obviously been shown to be the weak link.

I wonder how a plastic bushing is going to fare? I’ll bet better than metal due to the sloppier fit and absorbing qualities. I’d start running a bunch of plastic bushings and see what the life expectancy is. I can already attest most of the upgraded flip is there…

#1428 1 year ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Plastic bushings break too lordderek… even without the tighter tolerance. So no shock that the alum bushings take a beating.
    We broke a return spring this week… but they break too so can’t really say if advanced wear of not

I know they do. Did you see my earlier post regarding the flipper play a shattered bushing gave? Perhaps a fluke. Clearly some way more educated opinions here than mine.

Forgive my attitude. I have a brother with a mechanical engineering degree from BU and he’s pretty arrogant and stupid. I tend to forget not every schooled choad is like him…

1 month later
    #1759 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zora:

Who did install the precision flippers on SAM machines, where I think the flipper coil strength is not separately adjustable? Are they too strong, especially with the metal bushings?

Installed on a Star Trek pro and yes the power was too strong. Warp 10 ramp returns and air balls that would make even a Vulcan question the logic. As mentioned above I left the machined bushings in and that alone has been a worthy upgrade.

2 weeks later
    #1835 1 year ago
    Quoted from ghostbc:

I just put the Halo's on my tough shooting Alice Cooper Nightmare Castle

I’ll take “Games that need it” for 500 Alex.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lorddrek.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/review-precision-pinball-products-cnc-flipper-system?tu=lorddrek and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.