Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,945 posts
  • 325 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by kyinwa
  • Topic is favorited by 188 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3125 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3126 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3127 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3129 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3128 (resized).jpeg
    70200477285__4506A207-1186-4D98-9B84-C6E9DFB6AD0C (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1648 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1651 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6936 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6938 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6932 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2794 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2795 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2793 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2792 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0938 (resized).jpeg (©  Of my)

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1246 Flipper measurements Posted by DiabloRush (1 year ago)

Post #1320 Settings database links. Posted by Ollulanus (1 year ago)

Post #2055 Install procedure on a JJP Guns 'n Roses. Posted by fooflighter (1 year ago)

Post #2099 TECH: ASSEMBLY Fix for flipper that won't clamp Posted by Duster72 (1 year ago)

Post #2541 Flipper removal process Posted by 1956PINHEAD (8 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fooflighter.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#736 1 year ago

Okay, just installed the Flipper/Bushing 3 x kit in my GnR LE...Holy Friggin Moly!

Seriously, JJP should partner with you IMMEDIATELY @1956PINHEAD! It really makes the game feel entirely different in a great way! This is how GnR was meant to be played.
    If you got rid of your GnR because you thought it felt sloppy, too much multiball crowding etc...I urge you to seek out someone with GnR and this system installed. It literally is a new game. The shots are clean and crisp, shoot ...even had fun calling my shots on Slash Solo, which in the current code is an amazing feat.

In no particular order, just random thought on the install and initial playtesting>>

1. I had to set the flipper coil power back to DEFAULTS. Yep, you read that correctly. Default is plenty of power with these flippers and bushings. The game now shoots amazing. None of this floaty garbage, you get serious returns from serious accuracy.

2. Part of making GnR fun is getting balls up the guitar lock and around the orbits during multi-ball to clear the chaos and keep the songs rolling. This system really helps in that task of allowing you to nail the orbits and the guitar lock on the fore and backhand shots.

3. The bushing and shaft tolerances are so tight, it magnified the power in my right flipper and at first I was getting a loud clack on the flip...thought I did something wrong at first...I then inspected the flipper coil and whalla, the thing was way past due for a change. The new system illuminated the fact I was due for a coil stop change. Who would have thought? Changed the coil and loud clack disappeared.

4. These look amazing. Industrial and clean. Actually took off my old flipper toppers in favor of the clean look

5. As mentioned above, I had to remove 3 bolts on the right ramp to be able to insert the shaft through the bushing.

6. Biggest pain was changing the bushings as I had to remove each assembly to get at the locknuts holding the bushing screws

7. Once the shafts were in, aligning the flippers was a breeze. I did have some serious ball hop at first and had to re-align and raise the ball guides on the inlanes as they were sitting too low towards the player and giving too much ball hop on a slow roll.

8. I aligned the flippers with the rubber on using a straightedge across the guides and flipper , then adjusted the guide rail. When done, I had maybe a millimeter of clearance between the straightedge and the flipper rubber with the edge sitting right on the guide rail. This completely got rid of any hop.

9. All the flipper tricks are there, dead stops, live catches, drop catches, post passing...it also make shatzing a little easier due to just a slight bit more control on the flipper tips. Which again makes the orbits and the under the flipper shot easier to repeat also.

10. I did not install a short flipper on the upper playfield, didn't seem necessary and seemed more of a hassle.

11. Going to get them for Star Wars Premium and Walking Dead LE next

20220904_132934 (resized).jpg20220904_132934 (resized).jpg20220904_132843 (resized).jpg20220904_132843 (resized).jpg20220904_132854 (resized).jpg20220904_132854 (resized).jpg20220904_132915 (resized).jpg20220904_132915 (resized).jpg

#738 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZoraShinoda:

Recently installed on my GNR as well. Also remove the right ramp to get to the third flipper. No ball hop on my right flipper but I do have a little on my left flipper. I'll try your trick to fix it. Thanks.

I had to hold the guide up with a pretty good amount of force as I screwed the posts back down

#742 1 year ago
    Quoted from DiabloRush:

Thanks for the detailed review. You might consider cross-posting this to the JJP owner’s thread.
    On a related note, it’s nice to finally see some substantial independent reviews coming in. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to provide your thoughts. Keep ‘em coming!

Done!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread/page/456#post-7119169

#756 1 year ago
    Quoted from Lounge:

We told you so.

Ordering a set for my Star Wars Premium and later my Walking Dead LE

#775 1 year ago
    Quoted from awesome1:

After installing the HALOGRAPHIC PRO's in Deadpool I immediately turned the flipper's down from factory 255 to 245 power setting... these things are snappy and powerful! May go a little lower even. have to give it a few more plays and see where I settle at.
    Scored 1.4B in my test game to make sure everything was tight and not moving. That's a good sign as the timing and touch felt good. See if I can improve on my standing on the Stern IC Leaderboard. I have a ways to go yet...

Ha, I asked this in another thread before I read this one. This was my first question about the power, thank you

#789 1 year ago

Just curious 1956PINHEAD , I noticed on my GnR, the nylon bushings had lock nuts on the screws in the back of the plate.

I've got an order coming in for my Stern and Stern doesn't use lock nuts on their bushing screws from what I can tell. With the metal bushing replacement, would it be wise to secure the 3 screws holding the new bushing with locknuts, or is that overkill?

#791 1 year ago
    Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

fooflighter Yes, on the Bally Williams and JJP games they use the nuts on the back side as a secondary mode of securing. On the Stern games they use a screw that has self tapping type threads that bite into the bracket that the bushings attach to. You will not have to add those nuts on the Stern set-up, your good to go with just the three screws.
    John

Perfect! Thank you much

#792 1 year ago

Installed!!! Look and play so well!!!

20220910_122242 (resized).jpg20220910_122242 (resized).jpg20220910_131200 (resized).jpg20220910_131200 (resized).jpg
    #857 1 year ago

I posted this per request in another thread but thought it fit the bill nicely here as well.

My GnR LE with the precision flippers installed on the lower playfield flippers (upper is stock)

The coils are on default power, the center vuk is bumped up a hair...I like the quicker return, but the flippers do also have the Pinmonk fans installed.

Please excuse the video. I don't have a rig so literally clamped my phone to the backbox and flipped and rotated the image in a video editor so the quality is a little lacking

Also, excuse the play style, I didn't dare nudge for fear of jostling the clamps free and the entire apparatus crashing down on the playfield glass.

Hope this give an idea of the flipper action

1 week later
    #910 1 year ago
    Quoted from MattW123456:

My plan was to use the Dremel (and I did for most of it), but it could not reach all the way inside with the polishing pad.
    Ended up going ghetto. Folded a q-tip in half so the two ends were next to each other, and then tightened it in my drill.
    Then I ran a microfiber cloth through it to clean it out.

That's not ghetto, that's ingenuity... Looks amazing

1 week later
    #957 1 year ago

Further tweak for JJP GnR owners with the precision flippers.

So with the addition of the Precision flippers I've done some further tweaking to which I really think makes the game play incredible now. Even better than my initial experience review

One trade off with GnR is that your constantly fighting with either Better Orbits while sacrificing the backhand to the left ramp or making the backhand easy but sacrificing flow and the shooting mechanics especially the orbits and right ramp difficulty. I think it's better to have a better shooting game than the ability to spam the patch mechanic. But now I think I've tweaked it to where you can have both smooth orbits and a makeable (not guaranteed) left flipper left ramp backhand.

From the factory, the game is coming slightly raised / just above / or even with the inlane flipper ball guides. Using the new flippers and simply eyeballing, I set each one to just a hair below the guide so that they appear a little flopped. Not terribly lowered but enough to really open up the orbits and make GnR a flow monster...I thought my Deadpool Premium had large orbit flow, this rivals and beats it now in both directions. To make up for the lower flipper on the left, I actually increased the flipper power on the left to 25-26 up +3 to +4 (your's may vary depending on playfield angle - recommend glass off testing) from default of 22. This setting doesn't allow you to spam the left ramp with backhands, which IMHO, breaks the game a little, but makes it a 50-60% makeable shot with greasy lightning orbits. The right flipper power was lowered to 24, down -1 from it's stock 25 setting. This setting, combined with the right lowered flipper angle makes the left ramp less of a risk from the right flipper and actually makes it easier than backhanding and MUCH smoother, say goodbye to the left ramp rattle entry, once you find the shot, you can hit it smoothly all night long either from a cradle or on the fly..I can't tell you how many times I've been able to get a loaded guitar neck during songs for Power chord locks....The benefit for all these corrections is a much smoother, flowy game that shoots amazing. The balls clear out and don't crowd the lower playfield. You can still make the backhand, but it's more satisfying to hit the left ramp from the right flipper with this new setup.

I included a photo to show my position

Enjoy

20221003_012710 (resized).jpg20221003_012710 (resized).jpg

Added 18 months ago:

Okay, sorry for the retread...After doing all the above, I found that it became VERY hard, really impossible to hit the "Under the flipper" shot. I forgot to test that one specifically when setting everything up initially. I tried everything, resetting to defaults on power, raising the playfield angle, realigning the flippers, trying low bounce Titan rubber...no matter what, I was always giving up one shot somewhere. So back to the drawing board...Since the bushings are really the heart of the system IMHO and the flippers are more cosmetic, I switched off to the original plastic bats. The Precision ones, are just a little finicky on the shape and ball hop with JJP (my Star Wars doesn't have any issue, just lowered power settings), so I thought maybe to meet in the middle.

So now I anm using the following setup:

Playfield (bubble touching second line)
    Precision bushings
    JJP factory flippers
    Titan Competition Flipper rubber
    System settings Power: Left , Right , Upper Right

I played with the glass off every shot and especially focusing on tweaking the orbits, the backhand up the left ramp, the under the flipper from left flipper, under the flipper from right with 2 balls cradled, post passing, the right flipper shot to the left ramp, and the upper loop orbit off the upper right flipper

Findings:

No flipper hop at all with plastic flippers and metal Precision bushings
    Consistant shots to all focus areas listed above
    Playable without the feeling of being too easy...feels factory but with no fade and better precision from the Pinmonk fans and the Precision bushings

Overall I thing I have put GnR through the ringer in testings and maybe it's just my machine, but I couldn't get EVERY shot successfully dialed in with both the flipper and the bushing combo. Like I said, this issue, including the flipper hop doesn't exist at al for me on my Stern setup on Star Wars. Maybe it's just a JJP thing. The flipper bat on the precision is a little more pointed than the JJP one and GnR is VERY VERY tempermental when it comes to dialing in everything. Which I think falls on Eric Mineur's shoulders. It's a good game, but at the end of the day, this is no Elwin shooter, and the shots can only be as good as designed.

Sorry for the rehash and somewhat of a retreat for the full system recommendation on GnR, but I wanted to be honest with the community about my further experience.

Added 18 months ago:

Settings power (using Pinmonk fans as well)

These may vary slightly on your machine, individual testing is recommended

L 22
    R 18-19
    UR 10-11

1 week later
    #1010 1 year ago

updated my review with some changes to my initial and suggestions after hours of gameplay and testing

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/review-precision-pinball-products-cnc-flipper-system/page/20#post-7169781

#1024 1 year ago
    Quoted from Vespula:

Can you make the under the flipper shot?
    (Either with double cradle or single cradle?)

I'd be curious to know as well @iceman44? I'm currently running the Stock Plastic Flippers with the Metal bushings and I can nail the under the flipper shot when I have to as well as hitting the upper playfield with a left flipper backhand 75% of the time from a cradle, or 95% from a slight microflip to get the ball just off from the cradle position..as well as smooth orbits, but I try to play the game and not exploit the backhand patch mechanic and want to be able to make that shot when I have to... For some reason, I couldn't do that with the Metal flippers, I always seemed to be missing just one shot somewhere, or getting ball hop on the rail guides.. and if I powered the coil down enough to make the under the flipper, from the left flipper, I then couldn't back hand the left ramp... Really weird

I guess every game has its differences and mine seems to be shooting the best it has ever shot with the Precision Bushings and stock plastic flippers. That combo seems to be working the best and providing the most consistant flow (the orbits are super smooth and I can hit the upper orbit off the upper right flipper 3 sometimes 5 in a row - almost has a Godzilla feel to it) and fun shots throughout.

Love the look of the precision but I just couldn't dial them in as a full set on JJP (my Star Wars has no issues at all with the Precision combo and shoots amazing having had to dial the flipper coils way back and no cooling fans necessary)...

My power coil settings are now, 20 on the right flipper, (way down from stock) 22 at stock on the left and 10 on the upper right.

Flippers are aligned with the guide rails and no ball hop on the rail to flipper transition

I do have to say: GNR LE is the most sensitive (ie read finicky) to pitch and alignment versus any game in my lineup which includes some very sensitive ones such as Godzilla PRE and StarWars PRE

#1043 1 year ago
    Quoted from Vespula:

iceman44 and DiabloRush
    Both of you guys have GNR... Can you comment on the above experience, specifically under the flipper shot with these precision flippers and halo? Is this a one off or do you also find the same results as fooflighter ?
    Thanks

Given the fact that all these pinball machines are handmade mine might just have an early build CNC which positions the flippers just awkwardly enough to make things tricky

John is sending me out narrow bats to try on my jjp and I'm going to Blue tape the current position that I know works and then reinstall his system and do some testing

#1053 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

The only problem I have now is that I didn’t do the 3rd flipper switch. That’s next.
    Totally different game now for me on GNRCE. Snappy power, control, precision
    Under the flipper shot from trap consistent, loops, middle spinner etc.
    Only lag is the one I didn’t replace

Awesome, good to hear! Can't wait to try my thinner bats from John. I'm repeatedly hitting better shots though and the flow is off the charts better than factory GNR that's for sure, that's just what the bushing replacements right now

#1056 1 year ago
    Quoted from DiabloRush:

The anodized Halographic Flippers are just stunning in person. No photo can really capture how good these look. And the play is fantastic, too.
    BTW, Rush is an incredibly good game. The more I play, the more I appreciate the whole package. IMHO, it's underrated. Top-5 all-time pin for me now.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Man those look really incredible on Rush

#1090 1 year ago

Just got my thinner Black flippers to try with my GnR courtesy of 1956PINHEAD .

I've been super busy but will install these soon to give them a proper go with the metal bushings currently installed

I was having a little trouble with mine and the metal JJP bats some may recall with some minor flipper hop. I have an early GnR so it may just be the machine as the stock plastic don't have the hop

I'll give these a proper install and feedback soon, I promise

#1132 1 year ago

Finally got my narrow (original Stern size) Precision flippers on my GnR

I originally had the full JJP set including flippers for JJP games installed but was getting some flipper hop and there was always one shot I couldn't dial in. It would rotate as I would align the flipper/ adjust power for that shot, another would become unmakable. I eventually went back to the JJP plastic factory flippers (skull toppers in photo) used with the metal Precision bushings.

John was kind enough to send a replacement set of thinner, original sized flipper bats to try out.

I can now report that everything works

I taped off the flipper position to know exactly where to line up the new bats for reference.

I also dialed down some of the power settings.

I can now report the game shoots well.

20221027_233536 (resized).jpg20221027_233536 (resized).jpg20221027_215628 (resized).jpg20221027_215628 (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #1187 1 year ago

Just checked my Star Wars, after a 100 plays or so, no visible wear. Using Titan Competition Silicone on mine.

Just a small dent on the top of one of the bats but that's to be expected, I'm sure

Here's some varying light angles

20221104_092159 (resized).jpg20221104_092159 (resized).jpg20221104_092219 (resized).jpg20221104_092219 (resized).jpg20221104_092245 (resized).jpg20221104_092245 (resized).jpg20221104_092325 (resized).jpg20221104_092325 (resized).jpg

3 months later
    #2050 1 year ago

Finally got my Halos installed with the keyed shafts and metal bushings. Ive tried all the variations on my GnR...original precisions, plastic flippers with metal bushings, plastic bushings with metal original precisions....I can now confirm, this final SETUP is the best setup and GnR shoots like a dream now. No hops, smooth control, just enough play, no hard weird rebounding, able to hit all the shots, under the flipper, backhand ramp and all the orbits...I'm using power settings 24, Left, 26 Right and 14 upper right for the GnR folks out there...I've got a steeper game so that's the reason for the slight bump, otherwise, I probably would leave the power at default.

A+
    20230223_214521 (resized).jpg20230223_214521 (resized).jpg20230223_214503 (resized).jpg20230223_214503 (resized).jpg20230223_214530 (resized).jpg20230223_214530 (resized).jpg

#2055 1 year ago
    Quoted from Vespula:

Thanks for this follow-up. Excellent.
    That's the exact setup I have except mine isn't installed yet. Looks great and thanks! Any install tips or tricks with mentioning? Did you replace any parts?
    Like what else should I be doing or replacing with the flippers while in there? Sleeves springs stops are terms I've seen talked about but this is my first pin and first foray into messing with flippers ever .... and I just want to make sure I'm not installing the system and reusing any old parts or forgetting to replace something that I should be replacing in the process.....
    I think there's a install video somewhere? Retrocengo? Was it any good? Did it leave anything out? I skimmed it but don't recall it talking about replacing any maintenance items.
    I know the intimidation of me doing this is painfully obvious. So I'm just want to make sure I've got everything I need to understand the install and totally refresh my flipper systems and ppp halos.
    Thanks again .

Thank you!

* Okay, first things first, take plenty of pics as you go from different angles and with good lighting...later after you get more experienced, you won't be taking any and you'll be able to do a flipper rebuild from memory in 10 minutes.

* (If you're happy with your current shots and flipper position with the JJP flippers, mark, with blue painters’ tape, the edge of the flipper with the rubbers on directly on the playfield looking down...This makes it so much easier to get the new Precisions installed where you want them immediately

1. Loosen the original clamp on the flipper shaft just enough to be able to lift the flipper out. I find it best to rotate and pull up on the flipper to get it out of the clamp and bushing, yours maybe tight or loose depending on the condition of the clamp

2. Using needle nose, carefully remove the spring from the retention hole on the clamp you will be removing, careful not to elongate the spring or stretch the end that goes into the hole as this will change your flipper return response

3. Remove the clamp by removing the JJP bolt and then bolt with locking nut that feeds through the plastic plunger pivot assembly

4. While your here, clean off the plunger and plastic with a rag as it will have coil dust coating it

5. Be careful not to lose the small grommet that fits in the pivot hole of the plastic plunger end

6. Since you haven't installed the bushings yet, do as jarozi said and drop the assemblies for those as the lock nuts are a pain ...Stern has threaded assemblies unlike the JJP ones

7. Attach the new metal bushings and reattach the flipper housing to the playfield

8. I like to start attaching the keyed shaft locks to the plastic plunger piece first...In order of Bolt, Washer, Plastic Pivot, Grommet, Washer, Locking Nut

9. Now, attach the keyed clamp onto the shaft that you feed through the bushing hole. The keyed clamp can only mount correctly one way. Make sure you are putting the left on the left and the rights on the right and that the orientation of the Plastic piece that closes the EOS switch is correctly positioned. This is where the picture is worth 1000 words from your previous clamp...You can always refer to the other intact ones for reference.

10. Now, move the shaft on the key all the way flush and then lightly tighten the clamp. I like to give a slight tap on the shaft to provide the small space you need between the bushing and shaft head...you should have a very slight up and down play...or you can use a flipper spacing tool...I prefer to eyeball it and repeat until I get it correct...much faster for me this way.

11. When you have the correct spacing, tighten with an Allen wrench, reattach the spring, make sure the assembly works as should and doesn't bind and displaces the EOS and returns proper...

12. Lower the playfield and insert your flipper bat onto the shaft head and line up the rubber with the edge of the blue tape...Press down firmly to temporarily lock in the flipper...Then insert the flipper screw and slowly tighten making sure your alignment is correct. You can crank it down when you are happy with the position. Wash rinse and repeat for the other flippers and you are golden

13. To make install and removal of the flippers easy for the upper right flipper, you'll need to remove 3 locknuts which hold the ramp to the game near the flipper, that way you can easily pull the flipper bat out and insert the new one without bending plastics etc...(see pic below)

Just take your time and you'll get it

Flipper rebuilds are just as easy, the Vid1900 walkthrough is what I used the first time

Over time, you'll develop your own techniques and this stuff will get easier and easier.

Learning new stuff everyday myself...
    Screenshot_20230224_200414 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230224_200414 (resized).jpg

#2060 1 year ago
    Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

fooflighter Thanks for taking the time to post that install guide to assist others in swaping out there factory flippers. Good stuff, I owe ya a beer!

Thanks as well for making such an awesome product...I like the sealed packaging as well!

#2062 1 year ago
    Quoted from Vespula:

Thanks FF! Your posts are always key for me. You have come through for me many times, in spades, and I appreciate that!
    That should be a key post here, imo

appreciate these tips! Thank you!

Thanks @Vespula, glad to help out when I can

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fooflighter.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/review-precision-pinball-products-cnc-flipper-system?tu=fooflighter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.