Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,955 posts
  • 326 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 22 hours ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 188 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2062 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3125 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3126 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3127 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3129 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3128 (resized).jpeg
    70200477285__4506A207-1186-4D98-9B84-C6E9DFB6AD0C (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1648 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1651 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6936 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6938 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6932 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2794 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2795 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2793 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2792 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1246 Flipper measurements Posted by DiabloRush (1 year ago)

Post #1320 Settings database links. Posted by Ollulanus (1 year ago)

Post #2055 Install procedure on a JJP Guns 'n Roses. Posted by fooflighter (1 year ago)

Post #2099 TECH: ASSEMBLY Fix for flipper that won't clamp Posted by Duster72 (1 year ago)

Post #2541 Flipper removal process Posted by 1956PINHEAD (8 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider alveolus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#117 1 year ago

But isn’t the flexing of the flipper and shaft consistent? Say you are shooting from a trap. How would it be different from one flip to another if the timing is equal.

#120 1 year ago
    Quoted from DiabloRush:

I get it. You're skeptical of these flippers, you're capable of evaluating them without actually trying them, and on that basis, can readily conclude these have no added value for you, and probably no value for anyone else, either. Let's bash anyone that differs with that opinion, too, while we're at it. Cool. By all means, don't purchase these. I'm glad my review can help you reach that decision. My review has served its purpose and saved you both time and money! You're welcome.
    As for this question, it's a good one. Warning: the answer requires a modicum of engineering knowledge and common sense. You've been warned.

Great question. You'd think that from the same position, even sloppy flippers would shoot the same shot? Well, that term "same position" is the crux. Flipper mechs have an surprisingly large number of something called "degrees-of-freedom". These are independent variables that effect the structural dynamics of the system. And here's the thing: the ultimate motion of the bat when you activate the coil depends on each one of those variables. Hence, when you say "same position" you have to account for all those variables. If they all aren't the same, then the system is going to respond differently. Just eyeballing the flipper mechs, it looks like there's at least 15 degrees of freedom there. The reasons the same "trapped" shot on a sloppy flipper mech won't shot exactly the same each time is all those other things are slightly different shot-to-shot.

Please define one or more of these variables and explain why they are not reproducible with identical timing.

#124 1 year ago
    Quoted from DiabloRush:

You know what? NO. I'm not going to spoon-feed basic engineering principles ad infinitum here. Any engineer or competant mechanic reading this thread knows exactly what I'm talking about. If you can't bother doing a modicum of research on your own, especially when I give you the applicability and terminology, then you're just outta luck this time. Most of what I'm explaining here is really basic stuff, folks. It isn't controversial. It something you learn in your first year or two in an engineering (or good vocational machinists) program. Maybe you should consider that as a new career option? The jobs are plentiful and the pay is great.
    Sorry. I know this is a rant. Maybe after over 100 replies, the majority of which question everything I say and continue to remain comically ignorant of basic principles, I'm at the point of exhausting my patience.

Well sorry that I was the last straw. I feel it is a valid question.

I am unconvinced that the “precision” has meaningful relevance. To illustrate, take my example of a flip from a trapped ball with exact timing. Common sense tells me that whatever variables induced by the bat/shaft/bushing have a negligible impact on the direction/angle of the resulting shot(negligible in respect to the geometry of a given shot). And for me personally I’m sure that the tolerance is orders of magnitude less than my own timing. The limiting variable is always going to be the player.

I am open to being educated but I would need to see a real world controlled experiment to convince me that there is a meaningful difference.

#129 1 year ago
    Quoted from DiabloRush:

You can start by watching Joel's Twitch stream. Links posted earlier in this thread. You'll learn quite a bit as he uses these in real time and explains the improvements he sees.

I’ll try to watch the video(no promises) but will still consider any “data” as purely anecdotal.

To pivot a bit, I think that the selling point for these is likely to be more subjective. Ie. how do they feel? Is it a more pleasant tactile experience? But this require people to experience them in person.

#143 1 year ago

There are always going to be flamers, but I think most here are just expressing healthy skepticism. I appreciate the op’s knowledge and expertise. I just need to see practical evidence of the benefit to justify the op’s claims.

#146 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Only one way to do that if it's of interest to you.

Unfortunately I don’t make it to many shows and I don’t see these getting installed on location games any time soon. Most likely I will get a set of these just to satisfy my curiosity.

#175 1 year ago
    Quoted from DiabloRush:

I’m going to give you the 30 second lesson that’s the core of design. Applies almost anywhere. Ready?
    There’s 3 main objectives in engineering design: high performance, reliable, and cheap.
    Simple enough, right? So, here’s the job of the designer: pick two.
    Unfortunately, you can’t have all three. Once 2 of these goals are specified, the third variable is fixed.
    OEM flippers chose reliable and cheap. Hence, they forgo high performance. PPP flippers are reliable and high performance. Hence, they cost more.
    If you can somehow overcome this basic rule, first patent your design then get rich selling it to everyone. We have a name for these unicorns. We call them “the better mousetrap”. Here endith the lesson.

We won’t know for a while if these are reliable.

#255 1 year ago

Question for the owners. Can you still dead bounce safely with this system or does the ball bounce into the slings or higher?

#258 1 year ago
    Quoted from awesome1:

Ball control, dead bounce, etc are all the same as regular flippers for me. I'll try to get some video this weekend. I am using "Perfect Play" Pinball Life flipper rubber before and after flipper change.

Surprising. With the stiffness and no slop engineering I would have expected much stronger rebound compared with a standard setup.

1 week later
    #335 1 year ago
    Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

I suspect there's going to be a whole lot of chatter going on in this forum starting in a few days once these kits start getting installed.

Indeed. I will be installing on my AC/DC and will immediately go for the combo record. I remain skeptical that these will make be a better shooter but I will keep an open mind and report back in earnest. And if I happen to break the combo record, all the better.

1 week later
    #453 1 year ago

So, I received the bats with new-style bushings and installed them into my AC/DC. First off I had a devil of a time getting the shaft through the existing pawl. I had to take a hammer to the pawl to get it to fit. It seemed to work out ok but was an unwanted hassle.

Now on to my impressions:

This is NOT a scientific evaluation; merely my observations so consider it anecdotal. Flipper strength is MUCH stronger, it seemed by more that 50%. With the stock flippers I could never make the saucer behind the bell but with these it happened regularly. I also had the bell hit the glass which had NEVER happened before. I feel like most of the “precision” testimonials are likely a favorable result of the increased flipper power. I noticed many “half-bricked” shots would still seem to make it around and ramp rejects were very rare. Backhands seem almost effortless. I did not notice any reduction in “full-bricked” shots and due to the now crazy-strong flippers these were more dangerous than ever. Lots of power-drains. This would be much less of an issue on a more open game with shots further back, aka Godzilla. Overall my ball times were probably shorter.

Summary:
    I like the look of these and the snappy feel. I like feeling like a boss when the ball rockets up the ramp (even if not quite a clean shot). I do not see any clear improvement in shot accuracy taking the confounding of the flipper strength into effect. I can not rule out a benefit from increased precision but I believe that my own lack of shooting accuracy will surely negate any meaningful benefit in that regard.

As a competitive player, I also have a nagging feeling that I am cheating while using these. Maybe lowering the flipper power would lessen that feeling, but I suspect I will keep the rest of my machines standard. Though if someday this system becomes standard I would absolutely embrace it, pending long-term validation.

P.s. Before installing these I played 5 or so games solely for combos and set a new record of 33. After a dozen or so tries with the new system my best is around 15. I may not be fully adapted to these yet, though.

#561 1 year ago

Target snappers

(I keed, I keed)

1 week later
    #759 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Who's gunna look like an idiot once these become common in comps?

I would be very surprised if this happens on a widespread basis. Most locations/operators are not going to spend the coin to swap perfectly fine flippers. Furthermore serious tournament players will tend to prefer to play on standard/factory setup.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider alveolus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/review-precision-pinball-products-cnc-flipper-system?tu=alveolus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.