Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,945 posts
  • 325 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by kyinwa
  • Topic is favorited by 188 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3125 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3126 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3127 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3129 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3128 (resized).jpeg
    70200477285__4506A207-1186-4D98-9B84-C6E9DFB6AD0C (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1648 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1651 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6936 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6938 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6932 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2794 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2795 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2793 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2792 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0938 (resized).jpeg (©  Of my)

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1246 Flipper measurements Posted by DiabloRush (1 year ago)

Post #1320 Settings database links. Posted by Ollulanus (1 year ago)

Post #2055 Install procedure on a JJP Guns 'n Roses. Posted by fooflighter (1 year ago)

Post #2099 TECH: ASSEMBLY Fix for flipper that won't clamp Posted by Duster72 (1 year ago)

Post #2541 Flipper removal process Posted by 1956PINHEAD (8 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DiabloRush.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

Precision Pinball Products CNC Flipper System - A Review

For all the advancements in our hobby the last few years – node-based systems, internet connectivity, and lavish LCD screens and assets – the core feature which connects us to the silverball has remained essentially unchanged in decades. Flipper systems are essentially the same as those engineered in the 80s. These systems have proven robust, but still represent a compromise from manufacturers that are inclined to minimize cost as a key element of production. Good enough, right? Afterall, is there anything in flipper systems you might improve upon? Might there be a different balance of cost/performance/adjustability that could appeal to pinball enthusiasts? The lack of innovation in our hobby for improving flippers is a bit surprising. Into this void, a new option has finally appeared. Founded by a seasoned Aerospace engineer and pinhead - John Simone - Precision Pinball Products provides a system of CNC machined parts to replace the plastic molded flippers and bushings that have been standard on our machines for decades.

What improvements does PPPs new flipper system provide? There are several. Most importantly, this system is considerably more precise. As the name suggests, the PPP system provides parts with much tighter tolerances than traditional systems. This pays off in repeatability. I purchased a complete PPP system for my Godzilla Premium – a set of 3 flipper bats, shafts, and matching machined aluminum bushings. The headline from this effort is the noticeable improvement in repeatability. On installation, its immediately apparent how much tighter the tolerances are with the PPP system. Try this: grab a stock flipper at the base and see how much wiggle you can achieve. It’s immediately noticeable. Try this again with the PPP flippers and bushings. There’s no noticeable movement, none.

I had no idea how much shot-to-shot variation was present in stock flipper systems. I was shocked at how much my timing improved with the PPP flippers and bushings. I’m far from a great pinball player. I’m not going to win a pinball tourney anytime soon. I have to spend many hours on a table to tune my timing and dial in my shots. After I installed the PPP system, nearly immediately I was repeating shots in multiples I had never achieved on the stock system.

I hadn’t thought about it, but you get a bit of in-the-moment-timing when trying to loop shots. The loose tolerances in stock flippers works against this. The millisecond level of timing needed to repeat tight shots isn’t helped by sloppy flippers. Sure, the great players are good enough that this isn’t a huge issue. Not me. I have a bit of variance in timing myself. Apparently, the PPP system removes enough variation in the timing due to physical hardware, that the timing variance was now dominated by my own abilities.

And wow, what a difference! I could loop the ramps on Godzilla almost endlessly now. The flipper feel is different, too. More “direct” if that makes any sense? And better. I found it very satisfying. The PPP system flipper bats are slightly heavier (by about 40%) and considerably stiffer than the plastic units and this meant less deflection of the system when catching balls, killing ball speed, traps, and other flipper skills. It also meant more available inertia for things like speed kills. In sum, this flipper system was a pretty significant improvement in feel, precision, and operability compared to the stock Stern setup. On precision and feel alone, this upgrade was completely worth the investment.

There’s other advantages to this system as well. PPP offers interchangeable parts which provides customizations advantages (with slightly longer and shorter bats available). I chose the standard lengths, but I can see circumstances where custom lengths might be appealing (such as setting up games for kids, etc.) Another advantage is the ability to precisely adjust flipper position from above the table. The PPP design is quite clever. The flipper shaft has a conical section which is surface-treated to ensure stable and precise contact with the matching pocket in the flipper bat. A single hexhead screw secures the shaft and flipper bat together. PPP provides a tool to separate these components when needed. This really is an improvement over the pinch-bolt designs used for decades. The nature of a pinch bolt means a slight movement of the shaft in relation to the plunger rod on tightening. With the PPP system, you install the shaft one final time, and you’re done. All final adjustments can be done above the table, in very precise increments if desired. And of course, the aesthetics of this system are quite different. I found the CNC machined parts very attractive.

Now, an upgrade to such an essential system as flippers raises some other concerns. Namely, installation, longevity, and long-term maintenance. Installation was straightforward. PPP provides a wonderful set of printed full-color instructions. I appreciate printed instructions, frankly. I can make notes, and keep them right at the machine without having to consult my phone or laptop. Easy to read with generous photographs, installation was simple. I’d repeat something PPP emphasizes in the instructions: tightening the pinch bolt is a bit delicate. This needs to be tight, and on Stern mechs, the EOS pawl will move as you tighten the bolt. If the EOS pawl rotates too-much, it will touch the bushing bolts and interfere with the full-range of plunger movement. You want to hold the EOS/spring pawl as illustrated in the instructions, don’t overlook that step!

A couple of observations about the install: I used a very light coat of grease on the flipper shafts as recommended. This is now a precision metal-on-metal system, and as such, a lubricant will help longevity. Don’t overdo it here. Generally, grease + pinball is a big no-no, at least outside of certain sealed gear-trains. A light amount on the shaft is all that’s needed due to the very close tolerances which serves to keep the lubricant contained. This system was so efficient on install, that I got a slight increase in flipper-release rebound. This was easily mitigated by using a stronger flipper return spring. I play tested my Godzilla for a few hours to see if flipper fade would be an issue with this system (heavier flipper bats + stronger return springs). I never saw fade, once. I very slightly increased the flipper coil settings (from 230 to 240) to compensate for the springs/increased mass. The coils remained only slightly warm to the touch after a few hours of intense play. It’s way-too-soon to speak to long-term reliability, but I can’t think of any reason this system would be any less reliable than stock bats and bushings. It’s possible that improving the mechanics of the system would result in less wear and tear as the shafts and bushings are no longer interacting in ways that might impart wear.

In sum, this system is a great new offering for the pinball community. With the meteoric rise of pinball as a home-based hobby, we’ve seen 5-figure prices and thousands of dollars spent on mods by many. Given the improvements that the PPP system offers, the price of the precision flippers is shockingly low given the materials and manufacturing methods used . For about the price of a 3D printed mod for your machine, you can upgrade your flippers to an ultraprecise setup. This is truly a new and welcome innovation in our hobby. I’ve since ordered kits for the rest of the games in my collection. Highly recommended.

ethics disclosure: I'm an independent hobbiest with no affliation with Precision Pinball Products. This review is entirely my own with no consideration or compensation from anyone. I bought this kit at full retail price from the PPP Pinside shop.

IMG_2042 (resized).JPGIMG_2042 (resized).JPGIMG_2044 (resized).JPGIMG_2044 (resized).JPGIMG_2045 (resized).JPGIMG_2045 (resized).JPGIMG_2018 (resized).JPGIMG_2018 (resized).JPG

#3 1 year ago

I'm an independent hobbiest with no affliation with Precision Pinball Products. This review is entirely my own with no consideration or compensation from anyone. I bought this kit at full retail price from the PPP Pinside shop, link below. FYI.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1341-precision-pinball-prod

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Personally, I'm not thrilled with the idea with a new non-standard mech that requires maintenance.

The PPP system is fully compatible with current flipper mechs. The flipper bats can be used with current bushings or vice versa. Nothing about this system is "non standard". As for maintence, there's basically none. Certainly this sysem requires no more maintainence than current flipper mechs, which require regular service for coil stops and sleeves.

Regarding wear and lubrication, this system has been properly designed. The shafts are s/steel and the bushings aluminum. There will be no galling on the shafts, and the load is very low on this system and well distributed over the length of the bushing. It's operating in the portion of the Stribeck curve where 10^8 or higher cycles should be easily expected for these materials. I wouldn't expect any wear or additional dust generation. There's already many metal/metal interactions in our machines, most giving rise to substantial wear (see: coil stops). This system isn't one of them. It was done right, and the performance shows it.

Finally, the tiny amount of lubrication added might not even be necessary (the developer is testing his parts lubrication-free with success), and the tolerance is so tight on here (on the order of 0.001") that the lubricant is operating in the hydrodynamic regime and fully contained (which also contributes to the stellar Stribeck performance). It's unlikely it's going anywhere for the duration of the part use.

#11 1 year ago

I am independent and have no affliation with PPP. I'm also an engineer with 40 years of experience, including tribology, aging, and corrosion. The information in this review is coming from my body of experience in these areas. I've written several books on these and related topics. I stand by my independent review that this system is very well designed and offers considerable improvements to our hobby.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Coil stops and plunger make contact upon impact--that is quite different from rotational or linear motion between two or more parts, such as a flipper bat shaft and bushing.

Yes, it is. Rotational interaction under full-film lubrication conditions produces considerably (by many orders of magnitude) less wear than impact interactions such as coil stops. This is all basic tribology.

The strain rates for plungers hitting coil stops are in the range of 10^4 to 10^5 (1/s) way higher than any wear on a rotating flipper bat by orders of magnitude. At these strain rates, you're creating stress approaching the elastic limits for steel (Young's modulus ~ 200 GPa). This is why coil stops eventually mushroom in a pinball.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

The point was those are two completely different interactions that aren't worth comparing.

My point being that the metal/metal interaction in the reviewed flipper bats won't produce particles from wear. Which was raised as a concern by you as a concern (see below). In my judgement, this is a non issue. There will not be significant wear or dust generation from this system.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

Metal-on-metal movement is pretty much going to be a no-go long-term since they will end up grinding together, especially with the frequency of movement with these particular parts. Plus all the fine dust that will eventually gum up the joint.

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from SonOfaDiddly:

i need some ten thousand dollar rare earth magnets for the coils on these right

No. The system works great on stock coils. It's more efficient and has less energy loss due to slop. In my case, I installed stiffer return springs and I raised my flipper power by 10 points (from 230 to 240) to compensate.

#20 1 year ago

Perhaps some other readers can help me understand the negativity here? I don't get it. I post my own thoughts, contribute my knowledge in an area relevant to our hobby, and I'm challenged and called a "shill"? Do people not understand that this type of behavior both inhibits innovation and makes others less likely to speak up and contribute, both as innovators and users? I put a lot of time into this review, and wanted to provide my objective evaluation of something new in our hobby, something that I felt offered a substantial improvement in an area long lacking in innovation. No, I wasn't paid. I (perhaps foolishly) thought I was contributing to our community.

I feel this system is a genuine innovation. Not one comment on the superior performance. The proof was in the play. I literally started looping shots on my GZ I had never done before. I'm not alone. On the Twitch stream, below, Joel got similar results. He started backhanding ramps he could never have done before.

I would love to see similar innovation in our hobby. When all you can do is level criticism, and mostly uninformed criticism that most engineers could tell you was a nonissue, you're only serving to inhibit advances. Sorry to rant. I've tried to remain factual and state the basis for reasoning behind my judgements.

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

To start, the high level of familiarity with the product that nobody has heard about before and offering details that were not on the product page were potentially suspicious.

I did reach out to John as part of my installation. Specifically, I wanted to ask him about the flipper rebound I was getting and if he had any suggestions to mitigate this. We discussed possible solutions, and that's how I arrived at the stronger return springs. I even made a slow-motion video that I shared with John showing the issue. It was in this discussion that I learned of his testing and further details about his system. And of course, I placed a second order with him for the rest of my games. He's a great guy, give him a call. He's happy to answer questions or provide further details.

And yes, I'm new here on Pinside. Not to pinball. I've been in the hobby since the late 70s, and have owned/restored games since the early 90s. I was very active on rgp. My personal situation changed pretty drastically in the 2010s, and I had to give up pinball ownership for a few years. I've recently gotten back in the hobby, including finally having a space to keep a small collection of tables.

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

As someone who works with steel & aluminum it's generally avoided using them together as you can have galvanic corrosion issues.

You need an electrolyte and limited surface area for this to be a concern. Stainless steel fasteners are bone-stock-standard for use with CNC aluminum parts. They’re everywhere and have been used in this application for decades. There are thousands of examples of use of stainless steel shafts in CNC aluminum parts. Everywhere. For decades. I have RC helicopters with dozens of stainless/aluminum parts in close contact and high precision use. This is a non-issue.

#49 1 year ago

Upgrading the rest of my games. ~10 hours with this system on my GZ, no issues at all. Great performance, no evidence of slipping, flipper deformation, or anything else. To my eye, these are extremely well engineered. Shaft is one-piece stainless steel. The conical section is part of the one-piece machined shaft, no welding, its machined from the same billet, then centerless ground. Tolerance is unreal. Every shaft measured the same on my precision micrometer (accurate to 0.001"). John says the tolerance is exactly that, 1 mil. Note measurement, below. This is precisely 0.250 inches, to 3 places. This is not a cheap part to make, BTW. Very well done.

The flipper/shaft connection is well done. It engages the flipper bat very solidly. So solidly, you have to use a special tool to get them to disengage. It's stayed anvil-solid and tight in my 10 hours or so of play.
    IMG_2054 (resized).JPGIMG_2054 (resized).JPGIMG_2056 (resized).JPGIMG_2056 (resized).JPG

#50 1 year ago

An update on a couple of items. I'm busy installing this on the rest of my games. Finished JP this afternoon. Significantly, I did NOT need to install stiffer springs to damp the flipper-release bounce on this game. It appears the orientiation of the flipper mech with respect to gravity is an important variable here. If the plunger falls "downhill" on release (like GZ), it increases the amount of rebound due to the added mass coming back into the rubber stop. The PPP system benefits from a stiffer spring here. When the plunger goes uphill (or sideways) on release, the opposite occurs. In this case, I didn't require a stiff spring. The stock return springs were sufficient to keep rebound under control. Hence, the need for stiffer return springs will vary game-to-game. So far, my GZ needed them, while my JP did not.

I note on GZ, that the flipper plungers nearly perfectly point upward into the coils (with respect to gravity), a nearly worst-case from a rebound perspective. On JP, they activate to the side, much more favorable from an energy standpoint on release.

Another note. With the stock return springs retained, I found I had to reduce the coil strength slightly to get similar performance. I lowered my JP mechs from roughly 230 to 220 or so. This appears to arise from the added efficiency of the PPP system. You don't need as much coil punch to get the same end result, when other variables are the same (such as spring strength). FYI.
    IMG_2057 (resized).JPGIMG_2057 (resized).JPG

#51 1 year ago

Installed on the JJP Hobbit. Note that you use a different bushing for JJP/Williams flipper mechs. PPP has both available; be sure to spec JJP. Works beautiful here. No flipper bounce at all. None. Stock springs work great.

BTW, Hobbit is a seriously underrated game. Fantastic layout, code, and assets. As close to an RPG as we have in pinball. Really, really fun game.

IMG_2062 (resized).JPGIMG_2062 (resized).JPGIMG_2065 (resized).JPGIMG_2065 (resized).JPGIMG_2068 (resized).JPGIMG_2068 (resized).JPG

#53 1 year ago

JJP flippers are quite different from Stern. They're much closer - basically the same - as the flippers on the 90s WPC95 games. Yes, they're softer and have a more subtle feel. I actually prefer the WPC95 flipper feel; I always found the Stern setups a bit too snappy. I've gotten used to Stern now, of course.

Back in the lates 80s/90s, the Williams flippers were far-and-away the best. The Data East, Gottlieb, and yes, Stern were all pretty crude in comparision. I just got used to those and still like them. A feature in the JJP titles, IMHO.

#54 1 year ago

Iron Maiden. As with the other games, a substantial improvement. I can hit the left ramp through the bumpers much more easily on this system than I could on the stock flippers. The orb is way easier as well from either flipper. No flipper rebound, stock springs. John is making a batch of shorty flippers, and I've got one (in red) on order for this table.
    IMG_2071 (resized).JPGIMG_2071 (resized).JPGIMG_2073 (resized).JPGIMG_2073 (resized).JPG

#56 1 year ago

You didn't order the bushings? It's the combination of shaft and bushing which gives the no-slop performance. I would only say that my review is perfectly clear that it requires all components in order to enjoy the full benefit of the precision of this system.

You can't evaluate the lack of slop in this system without the bushings. I gently suggest you purchase the proper, complete parts and reassess. The system is most certainly low slop and high tolerance (eg, precise). Take a look at the link I posted earlier. Joel demonstrates this lack of slop between a stock and PPP system.

#58 1 year ago

The bushings are not included in the kit. Those do have to be ordered separately.

#59 1 year ago

Perhaps the following is a bit more quantitative. Runout/slop measurements on PPP vs. the stock Stern parts. By my measurement, the runout on the Stern parts is ~14 mils at the shaft end. The PPP system measures ~2.5 mils at the same position.

FYI.

#63 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

As I stated, bushings can't and won't provide"precision"... At least not in the way you describe.

Respectfully - I mean that - respectfully, this is just wrong. Precision - tight tolerances giving less mechanical slop - is the result of the fitment between differing parts. In this case, 2 parts: the flipper shaft and bushing it rides in. The dimension and geometry of both of those parts with respect to each other will determine the slop. Full stop. The bushing is critical to this. My videos measuring the slop of each system (above) demonstrate this both visually and in quantitative measure.

#68 1 year ago

The thermal expansion coefficient of aluminum is roughly 50% greater than stainless steel. Hence, in this system, as it heats, it will get slightly looser.

I've done some extended play testing on my Godzilla with this setup. While I didn't measure coil temperatures, I did feel them. After 90 minutes of constant play, the coils were slightly warm. Considerably less hot than what I remember before the upgrade.

Also note, I only needed a stiffer return spring in Godzilla. The reason is discussed, above (orientation of the flipper mech is worst-case in GZ for rebound). All my other games did not require a stiffer spring; they're all stock. In all these games (except GZ with the stiffer spring), I had to slightly lower the coil power to achieve the same flipper response. That suggests these are more efficient at energy transfer, and as such, less likely to overheat.

The heating performance could be further tested. I'll see if I can round up some thermocouples and instrument one of my games for comparison to stock setups.

#72 1 year ago

No. This has little to do with the thermal conduction through the system. A more efficient mechanical system will require less electrical energy for the same amount of movement. It has to do with the efficiency of the coils ability to turn magnetic energy into mechanical movement. Any mechanical losses will add to this.

Ultimately, it's an energy balance here. The system will equilibrate at the temperature that balances energy input and output. Some amount of energy (heat) is lost into the coils. This heats them up. They lose this energy (via heat transfer) via radiation, convection, and conduction. The temperature equilibrates to balance between these (like any system at equilibrium). Typically, thermal systems can take a while to reach this equilibrium (months, in the case of the JWST; an hour or two for a flipper coil; it all depends on the thermal mass versus input/output rates).

There's some second-order effects here, so its a bit more complex (for example, resistance generally increases with temperature, compounding the coil heating). None-the-less, more efficient mechanicals will drive the temperature down. By how much would require a bit more detailed calculation and evaluation. I haven't done that.

#75 1 year ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

So you turned up power by 10 points on the flipper due to Increased flipper weight, and have less heat... Unless you are adding some heat sink tricks thru conduction which is what I was getting at.... the metal flipper bushing conducting heat the the flipper shaft, the friction within the coil remains un-changed, it's same plunger. Where is friction lost here? How can the flippers coil be cooler? Isn't there less friction between the nylon bushing and metal shaft vs. metal shaft the metal bushing?

>

Considerable energy is lost due to resonance in systems with low tolerance. In essence, things bang around instead of smoothly rotating (or deform, in the case of the plastic bat, above). All this wastes energy. This is best illustrated in the games (all but GZ) where I didn’t need stiffer flipper return springs. On all these tables, I had to lower the coil 10-15 points to achieve the same performance. That’s a better apples-to-apples comparison. That reduction in coil impulse time (in ms, I think?) is the reduced energy needed. This is ~5% more efficient, going by coil settings, but that’s just an educated guess.

#84 1 year ago
    Quoted from KJS:

Yes it's my retheme. Currently using black bats with clear rubber. Metal would look great.
    [quoted image]

Beautful HS2 retheme. Very nice.

#86 1 year ago

IMHO, the "too consistent" argument is 100% valid. That's a decision everyone needs to have for themselves. This system is noticeably more consistent than stock. I was accurate when I said I started looping shots on the PPP flippers that I couldn't consistently do before. Others (Joel) have reported the same thing. In his case, backhand shots opened up that weren't consistently available on the OEM setup.

As my review states, I'm not a great player. Is this system too consistent? From my standpoint, that's a feature I'm happy with. But, I don't play tournament pinball; I pretty much enjoy tinkering, restoring and playing games in my own home. I also have a soft spot for well-engineered stuff. One reason I've enjoyed Radio Control as a hobby, too, along with watchmaking, shifter kart racing, and a few others. Some of the stuff in those Shifter Karts are a marvel to behold. So well made. I also love a well-engineered model kit. The pic, below, is the lovely Pocher 1/4 scale Ducati. Incredible kit, so fun to build. YMMV.
    IMG_1161 (resized).JPGIMG_1161 (resized).JPGIMG_1164 (resized).JPGIMG_1164 (resized).JPG

IMG_0819 (resized).JPGIMG_0819 (resized).JPG

IMG_1040 (resized).JPGIMG_1040 (resized).JPG

IMG_0063 (resized).JPGIMG_0063 (resized).JPG
    #90 1 year ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

2) Slop in the flipper movement is a loss of transferred kinetic energy to the intended load, not a new load. The slop is periods where the plunger is getting less resistance as it's pushing against less when it's pushing against nothing or off axis. There isn't any 'compensation' for this loss where the coil is being driven harder to make-up for it.. the lost kinetic transfer is just lost to the inconsistent movement. The coil was driven the same.. the magnetic field was the same.. it's just how consistently that linear movement is applied to the intended load.

TL;DR version:
    Load matters on a coil. More load, higher power and temperatures. 'cause, physics.
    How do I know? Inductive reasoning.

----

detailed and boring version:

What you need to add to this discussion is back EMF generated in the windings due to the mechanical load. If there's greater mechanical resistance to plunger movement, it will generate additional current in the coil via back EMF. So it's not quite accurate to say "the coil was driven the same". Actually, the coil sees higher currents (drive + back EMF) when there's greater resistance in the plunger. The load is said to "induce" a current in the coil (and this effect is also the principle for the common component known as the inductor).

Stated another way, there's no free lunch. Electric motors and coils obey the laws of conservation of energy just like everything else. The power to drive a motor (or a coil) is not just a function of motor speed. It depends on the resistance of the load.*

More load = more work (force x distance) = more power input from the windings. Given that power (the product of voltage x current) into the coils must increase, so too will the heat generation as defined by coil resistance. It just so happens the way nature balances the energy in coils and motors under varying loads is via back EMF. It must be this way, as shown in Maxwell's laws for EM.

-----

*to cite the dreaded automotive example, this is why an electric car going a constant speed on a flat stretch of road uses less power than the same car at the same speed going uphill. The difference here (at the same motor speed) is the load. Higher load = more power = more current = higher motor (and battery) temperatures.

#95 1 year ago

I hadn't seen the first half of that stream. Joel basically says the same thing I have in my review. He emphasizes the consistency. Nice to see an independent review of these; Joel is at least as enthusiastic about the PPP system as I am.

"I love it. It's brought new life into this game."
    "I feel they're more precise. They give me more options now."
    "This system brings more enjoyability to the game play. I felt it immediately. I hit a shot consistently I hadn't been able to previously".

- Joel

#106 1 year ago

What direct question did you want answered? I hope you're not referring to me? None of my replies have been "googled". I teach this stuff, often. Not that it matters, but an Engineering Ph.D. (from Berkeley '91) + 35 years experience. My day job is slightly more complex engineered systems.

#108 1 year ago

So basically without the flex of a plastic flipper the mechanical load is increased in a metal flipper due to less physical absorption of mechanical energy so there's more back EMF so the metal flipper bats will actually increase the coil heat rate. LOL this is so dumb.

Nope. Not the reason. It's energy loss. Energy goes somewhere. Either into a desired state (moving the ball) or undesired (flex, slop, resonance, etc.). Less slop = more efficient = less energy for a given amount of ball movement.

#109 1 year ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Key word here.. NEEDS.. which if not provided means less work is done (the plunger moves less). Yes, with the higher load you NEED more power to do the same work, it doesn't mean you GET more power by just increasing the load.
    In this situation with slop, the load doesn't increase load - it is a loss of efficiency in the transfer of kinetic energy to the desired rotational force.
    Binding would be a different story - where it increases load and the if the voltage is maintained, a higher current will be drawn.
    But in the case of slop - it's just the kinetic transfer goes into multiple vectors instead of the single transfer you aspire to.

This is correct. And if the desired end result is a certain velocity of ball movement, then less energy is required in the coil for a system with tighter tolerance and less slop. QED.

#111 1 year ago

Let's try a new question.

Sure. Now, the amounts here are small in relation to the total, but still an effect. I'll answer these 1 by 1.

Does a standard plastic stock flipper give more back EMF than an aluminum one?

If that flipper is flexing, then yes. It takes some energy to flex the flipper. This will be pretty small, and second order, but yes. Slightly more. I could give you the relevant equations for elastic energy storage in solids, if you feel you need these.

Is so how can it given the plastic flipper flexes and absorbs some mechanical energy reducing the mechanical load?

Flexing doesn't reduce load. It increases it. It takes energy to flex a material, just as it takes energy to compress a spring.

If the metal flipper with no flex creates more back EMF (which given your description on the matter it should??

It's the opposite of what you state. Lack of flex means LESS energy is wasted in compressing flipper material. More efficient = less energy for a given amount of ball movement.

how can you say the flipper coils were cooler in Godzilla even though you bumped up the power?

GZ is not the system to be talking about here, as I put stronger flipper return springs in that one game (only; no other games needed them). The only reason I bumped power on GZ was to compensate for the stronger return springs. And to be fair, I don't have quantified data from GZ. Only my play testing that showed mildly warm coils to the touch after about 2 hours of play. Note, in all my other games I reduced flipper power to get the same ball power/movement pre-upgrade. These games didn't require stronger flipper return springs (to damp flipper release bounce).

Isn't there greater mechanical resistance when a metal bat flips the ball versus plastic?

No. As a system, the PPP is more efficient. Less slop. Less resonance. It's slightly heavier (not much, about 7 grams). Heavier does require more power and presents a higher load. My testing (need to lower coil power all other variables held constant) suggests that the gains in efficiency from a more precise mechanical design outweighs any extra power needed due to slightly higher mass.

#115 1 year ago

Thanks for the direct answers. I'm having trouble understanding how the coil plunger itself isn't stifled more getting pulled into the coil as a stiff metal bat hits the ball versus a plastic one with some flex. Which bring us into the back EMF confusion I have. But with no energy lost in flex you get a snappier hit. But then there the extra mass of the flipper to deal with.

Happy to have the dialogue. I looked for a high-speed video of a flipper bat hitting a ball. I couldn't find any. High speed video (thousands frames/s) is a fascinating way to watch dynamic material interactions. The degree of flex and movement in stuff that you think is pretty solid is actually amazing.

As a few examples, look at the super-slo-motion videos here. For the arrow, the oscillation amplitude is over 60 degrees! The golf ball video is pretty impressive, too. Did you know the ball deforms this much? The amount of movement is astounding in high-impulse-load applications with elastic materials. If anyone reading this has a good (5000+ fps) camera, I'd love to see a flipper/ball interaction video.

edit: see below, there is video.

edit: There is some Youtube slo-mo video of flippers. Check this out, at 10:18 or so. Look at all the movement, flexing, and oscilation. This is at 2000 fps. Higher frame rates would show the oscillation in better detail, but you'll get the picture. Your flippers are moving around a lot, especially the slop in the shaft/bushing.

Note how the flipper shaft moves in relation to the bushing at moment the ball contacts the flipper. Several of those impacts show the shaft moving in relation to the bushing over the entire amount of the slop in this system. That's the relative lack-of-precision you have on the OEM system. And this is why the PPP system - with about 6x less slop - feels so much more precise. It's right there in the slo-mo video. This is pretty much definitive evidence of what I (and Joel, and a few others) having been saying about precise flippers for the last several days.

#119 1 year ago

I get it. You're skeptical of these flippers, you're capable of evaluating them without actually trying them, and on that basis, can readily conclude these have no added value for you, and probably no value for anyone else, either. Let's bash anyone that differs with that opinion, too, while we're at it. Cool. By all means, don't purchase these. I'm glad my review can help you reach that decision. My review has served its purpose and saved you both time and money! You're welcome.

As for this question, it's a good one. Warning: the answer requires a modicum of engineering knowledge and common sense. You've been warned.

Quoted from alveolus:

But isn’t the flexing of the flipper and shaft consistent? Say you are shooting from a trap. How would it be different from one flip to another if the timing is equal.

Great question. You'd think that from the same position, even sloppy flippers would shoot the same shot? Well, that term "same position" is the crux. Flipper mechs have an surprisingly large number of something called "degrees-of-freedom". These are independent variables that effect the structural dynamics of the system. And here's the thing: the ultimate motion of the bat when you activate the coil depends on each one of those variables. Hence, when you say "same position" you have to account for all those variables. If they all aren't the same, then the system is going to respond differently. Just eyeballing the flipper mechs, it looks like there's at least 15 degrees of freedom there. The reasons the same "trapped" shot on a sloppy flipper mech won't shoot exactly the same each time is all those other things are slightly different shot-to-shot.

#121 1 year ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

Please define one or more of these variables and explain why they are not reproducible with identical timing.

You know what? NO. I'm not going to spoon-feed basic engineering principles ad infinitum here. Any engineer or competant mechanic reading this thread knows exactly what I'm talking about. If you can't bother doing a modicum of research on your own, especially when I give you the applicability and terminology, then you're just outta luck this time. Most of what I'm explaining here is really basic stuff, folks. It isn't controversial. It something you learn in your first year or two in an engineering (or good vocational machinists) program. Maybe you should consider that as a new career option? The jobs are plentiful and the pay is great.

Sorry. I know this is a rant. Maybe after over 100 replies, the majority of which question everything I say, ignore every reasonable explanation, pictures, video, and data I post, and continue to remain comically ignorant of basic principles, I'm at the point of exhausting my patience.

#127 1 year ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

I am open to being educated

You can start by watching Joel's Twitch stream. Links posted earlier in this thread. You'll learn quite a bit as he uses these in real time and explains the improvements he sees.

#128 1 year ago

I want to apologize to everyone for losing my patience. That's not the person I want to be. I'll strive to do better.

Quoted from usafstars:

Thanks DiabloRush, your reviews make sense. Hoping more with the product will come on here and tell us what they think.

Me too! I'm actually very, very surprised no one else has provided their detailed comments. Other than Joel (Twitch streams), there's been almost no discussion from actual owners (either way, negative or positive). Those reviews will come, fairly quickly I would think.

#157 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ashram56:

Anyway, I'd be curious to know the 15 degrees of freedom. I only managed to find 8 or so

The pic below is a flipper linkage. Plunger, plastic tab, and pinch bolt.* There's slop in all of it. Any moving object has 6 degrees of freedom in free space: 3 for translation and 3 for rotation (X,Y,Z, roll, pitch, yaw).** Some of these are constrained when hooked to other parts. If there's slop between those parts, each element can retain a limited range of motion in all 6 degrees, though some of them will be small, some very small. So, that part alone has 6 for the plunger, 6 more for the plastic tab, and 6 further with the pinch bolt linkage.

Now, a few of these are fairly well constrained, but not zero given the low tolerance in the connections. Add 6 more for the flipper shaft and bat. So, just adding those up, you've got 24 degrees. Finally, the coil stop is yet another component that needs to be considered. There's flex in the bracket and coil mount ( a coil will move slightly back and forther with respect to the coil stop. So you need to add another 6 degrees for the coil stop. I'm now up to ~30. There's other, complicating effects that I'm not considering. I haven't counted the coil sleeve as a separate element. That could be an error on my part. You assume rigid, homogenous and unchanging material properties in each element, for example. Non-rigid (flexing) parts can really complicate this and can add many more degrees of freedom. I assume constant material properities. Strength, density, elastic modulus. Those can vary, too, and add additional degrees (as components swell with temperature, for example). But, you get the idea....

Now, to be clear, some of these are very small ranges indeed, but not zero. If you want to mechanically describe the motion of this system, you need to know the position in space and rate of acceleration and rotation of each of those elements. Over 30 of them. My figure of 15 was a judgement that maybe half of these are so small as to be insignificant (for example, its probably ok to treat the pinch bolt, shaft, and bat as a single element). This is why I said "just eyeballing it". A proper analysis of which of these elements dominates the motion (often called a sensitivity analysis) could be done with an appropriate FEA (finite element analysis) code. This is done all the time in industry; we do it with the world's fastest computers where I work that take months (and sometimes a year or two) to complete for a single system.

Finally, just an off hand comment. This discussion explains why I'm such a lousy golfer. The golf swing has literally hundreds of degrees of freedom associated with it. Despite 50+ years of training, I've been unable to control the vast majority of those. I will never have glory on the PGA tour as a result. This is true for basically all athletic endeavors. Getting all those motions to be consistent is non-trivial. Peace.
    IMG_2125 (resized).JPGIMG_2125 (resized).JPG

*it's probably more correct to treat this as 4 elements instead of 3. The bolt attaching the pinch bolt to the plastic tab is very sloppy in many of these. Hence, that bolt is yet another element. None-the-less, I think you get the idea here....

**you sometimes see X,Y, and Z referred to by the alternate terms surge, sway, and heave.

#162 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ashram56:

What about wear over time ?

You’ll have wear between these parts, certainly. The question is how much? It’s well designed from a load standpoint. Lot’s of surface area for the side-loads. There’s piles of engineering studies of metal wear in bushings; I obliquely referred to some of this early in my discussions here.* Considering this tribology, I think these will wear nicely for fairly long lifetimes. As part of my ordering 2nd and 3rd rounds of parts from John, I had a discussion with him about testing. He’s doing a lot on his end. Wear testing. Load testing. He’s even planning failure testing by looking at the peak torque his joint will tolerate before breaking. That’s really impressive for a one-man show selling boutique parts to a small community like us. I want to encourage that, its a service to our hobby way above-and-beyond what many offer.

I knew the moment I said “lubricant” that the pinball skeptics would come roaring out of the dugout. It’s been mantra in our hobby to the point of religion to NEVER, EVER USE OIL OR GREASE IN A PINBALL. That advice is still generally applicable, because the things that a novice might be tempted to lubricate were designed to NOT need lubrication. This system is different. It WAS properly designed to use a tiny bit of lubrication to help long-term performance and reduce wear. By proper design, I mean tight-tolerance, small gaps (less than 0.001”), and low loads over extended surface area. The lubricant you use in that gap shouldn’t be coming out at any significant rate, and neither should contaminants be getting into that gap, either.

All that said, the real test will be in having a number of these parts on real machines for extended periods. This is a new system, and yes, there’s some uncertainty associated with long-term performance. I’m truly comfortable with that element. I can always swap back in standard plastic bushings after all, though you’d lose most of the precision benefits in that case. This isn’t the only metal/metal moving contacts in a pinball. There’s lots of this in coil stops, switch contacts, and occasionally the use of bushings on some rotating mechs.

In sum, I think every effort has been made in this design to mitigate concerns about wear. I was comfortable enough to swap out all the flippers in my games to the PPP system. Its a lovely system. I spent several hours on AIQ yesterday, and it was shear joy to play that game with such consistent flipper performance.

——-

* early in this thread (post #8) I referred to the “Stribeck” curve. This well-established curve in tribology shows the amount of wear in bushings as a function of load, lubricant viscosity, and speed. It’s highly non-linear. Properly designed, you want to operate in the low-wear areas of this curve. John’s design does this.
    D1CE5F16-30DE-4D62-8B04-B703F2398BA4 (resized).jpegD1CE5F16-30DE-4D62-8B04-B703F2398BA4 (resized).jpeg

#166 1 year ago
    Quoted from pb456:

so much respect to OP

Thanks, very much. I'm old enough to do things like this the old-fashioned way, from learned experience and training. I didn't use google for anything in this thread. It's all based on decades of engineering in a complex field. That may seem super-amazing, but its not. Pretty much everything I've talked about is basic engineering that most of the engineers I know could repeat from memory. At least the ones trained in the pre-internet era, when you read actual books and had hard classes that used obscure concepts like "math".

Quoted from pb456:

The current systems break too often, generate too much steel shaving waste (dirtying up the PF and game)

I've wondered about the ubiquitious "black-dust" in well-used games for a long time. I've been very tempted to get a sample of this into one of our XPS or Auger spectrometers to do an elemental analysis and see what this stuff actually is. I, too, have assumed it's metal oxides from wear, but I'd love to have more data on that. The reason I haven't done that is it would be an abuse of my employers resources. I need to think of a legitimate reason to analyze that dust. Maybe I could argue that I'm excluding wear-based aging mechanisms in the stuff we build, and use this as a case study... Hmmm.....

#174 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ashram56:

Now time for another challenge as well: if you were to design from scratch a flipper mechanism, reliable, precise, cheap, what would be your preferred option ?

I’m going to give you the 30 second lesson that’s the core of design. Applies almost anywhere. Ready?

There’s 3 main objectives in engineering design: high performance, reliable, and cheap.

Simple enough, right? So, here’s the job of the designer: pick two.

Unfortunately, you can’t have all three. Once 2 of these goals are specified, the third variable is fixed.

OEM flippers chose reliable and cheap. Hence, they forgo high performance. PPP flippers are reliable and high performance. Hence, they cost more.

If you can somehow overcome this basic rule, first patent your design then get rich selling it to everyone. We have a name for these unicorns. We call them “the better mousetrap”. Here endith the lesson.

#185 1 year ago

It's nice to see a few other independent reviews trickling in. I note that all other reviewers are finding improvements in consistency and feel.

There's another piece of news that may be of interest to those considering the PPP system. As a result of my posts here the last week or two, the developer (John) reached out and asked my opinion on a few changes he's considering for his design to further improve long-term reliability. First, I was humbled to have a chance to help in this regard. It's actually really awesome to combine my professional expertise with a hobby I so much enjoy! And, what a pleasure to have the designer reach out and want feedback from his customers. Second, while my thought was the changes weren't needed, they certainly added an extra degree of engineering that should put many skeptics at ease.

The first version of the PPP design was really well-done. There's some engineering details not fully discussed on his product page that I had a chance to do a deep-dive with John in our discussions. The attention to detail and development that John has put into this system is extensive. Honestly, our hobby is fortunate to have someone devote so much effort to a system that really does bring an improvement in play. The second version of his system makes a few changes to further improve serviceability, installation, and long-term reliability.

I'm excited to have John reveal details for all this shortly. In the meantime, to all those folks that already purchased systems, John told me he’ll be reaching out next week with a nice offer to upgrade your system.

#200 1 year ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

It would be really interesting to do some computer assisted testing to hold constant the timing variable and see what affect there is on shot accuracy vs traditional flippers.

This exists. The Phantom Flip on MB is exactly this, and quite inconsistent. I’d be most interested to have this system (with bushing) installed on that table precisely for this reason.

And do note, the statement of “less slop” isn’t something I just pulled out of a hat. I measured it, carefully. The difference in wobble at the end shafts is 6x greater on OEM Stern mechs. Videos posted way earlier in this thread if you want source data.

#203 1 year ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

You obviously saw the post after it was edited - not the original post.

The only edit to the original post was the addition of the following statement a few minutes after it was first posted, in response to the very first reply asking my affliation with the developer.

“ethics disclosure: I'm an independent hobbiest with no affliation with Precision Pinball Products. This review is entirely my own with no consideration or compensation from anyone. I bought this kit at full retail price from the PPP Pinside shop.”

The body of the post - including my identification as a customer - was never changed or modified (other than spelling/grammar corrections).

I updated this thread (post 185) with information that the developer reached out to me for thoughts on updates to his system. Given that occurred subsequent to my initial review, my ethics disclosure remains accurate in the timeline. As of today, I do have a relationship in the form of unpaid consultation with the developer.

#207 1 year ago
    Quoted from John_I:

This does bring up another point though. It would make little sense to upgrade to the metal flipper bats and bushings without also rebuilding the rest of the flipper mechs and links if they are old and worn.

Excellent point, very much. In the 5 games I’ve installed these, 3 were NIB Sterns I purchased and 2 were heavily used, routed games with ~20,000 plays. I should have mentioned I did full rebuilds on the flipper mechs, to include sleeves, coil stops, and linkages.

#208 1 year ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Exactly - confirming that the elements that "OP made it very clear who was who" were not there when the initial responses were made. But we all know this.. it's just typical punkin distortion posts.

Only one initial response was made - 2 minutes after I posted the review - and my information was updated literally seconds after that. The proof of this is memorialized in post #3, in which I made the exact same statement.

Your term “responses” is inaccurate. It’s singular, “response”. The following sentence was always present: “I purchased a complete PPP system for my Godzilla Premium – a set of 3 flipper bats, shafts, and matching machined aluminum bushings.”. My status as an independent customer was both clear and clearly stated from the beginning. This did not prevent many, many posts claiming I’m a shill. It was only when the developer also made a post (#140) confirming my status as one of his very-first customers did that accusation recede. Peace.

#211 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

I officially apologize to DiabloRush for any part I played in his Stress.
    I appreciate your fandom and support of another's product.
    I still don't agree with his assessment of the product; but, if he's happy I'm happy for him.
    The product's not "bad"; just overpriced in my opinion.

Thank you. I’ve also supported your products (clear pop bumpers) with enthusiasm. No stress on my end, just a desire to promote my beloved hobby of pinball.

#215 1 year ago

I'm a big trivia fan. I play as part of a regular team every week in a national game (Showdown/Buzztime/Tuesday nights). Here's the visual round. Identify the games and which parts the following pictures are taken from.

Here's a hint:

Quoted from Zitt:Metal on Metal moving parts are a no-no on pinball machines. I stand by this comment and nothing said here will change that.

IMG_2155 (resized).JPGIMG_2155 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2163 (resized).JPGIMG_2163 (resized).JPG

#217 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

A vuk or a saucer or a scoop are all metal on metal? The striker contacts the ball. Also playfield posts.

To play devil's advocate, I'd gently challenge you to identify examples of rotating parts that get hit by the ball at high speed and hence, have high shock/side loads. I think that's even more representative of the dynamics similar to a flipper bat.

I can't think of any. I got nothing. After all, metal-on-metal moving parts are big no-no.

j/k, obviously. Hope you don't mind a bit of a joke here...

#222 1 year ago
    Quoted from awesome1:Top looks like AIQ, bottom looks like Godzilla!

1 out of 2.

#225 1 year ago

A huge hint: second one isn't Stern.

Kidding aside, the real reason I posted those pics is the obvious one. Examples of fast spinning parts that are hit hard and which have metal/metal shafts and bushings. And, given these games come from multiple manufacturers, clearly the designers of these games are perfectly ok with metal on metal rotating parts with substantial side load and shocks.

#227 1 year ago

ding ding ding - we have a winner
    Slash solo disk in GnR. That thing gets whacked, hard. Bare steel shaft in a metal bushing. As does the Dr. Strange Portal Disk in AIQ; the bushing carrier is the same part, actually. Used to allow up/down adjustment to level the disk.

#230 1 year ago

Found something interesting, actually. It turns out, Williams used a metal flipper bushing as part of No Fear. This was the long-tube bushing to reach the upper PF in that game. Williams part number 04-10038. FYI.

edit: I shopped out a no Fear about 25 years ago. I don't remember this. I'm getting old...
    large (resized).jpglarge (resized).jpg

#238 1 year ago

The other big modification in your photo is the flipper shaft. The diameter now allows that part to slip through the playfield. This improves flipper mech servicing, providing an option to remove the whole mech if the pinch bolt is stripped. The Stern use of hex heads is a weak point in the design. I’ve had to cut off several flipper bats when shopping games because of stripped pinch bolts. It’s a pain. No more with this design. We’ll done.

#239 1 year ago

Now that John has released the new version of Precision Flip, I thought some might like a bit of behind-the-scenes details. John paid close attention to the responses here, and reached out to me for my thoughts. He had been considering the use of oilite bushings since the beginning, but felt the cost would be prohibitive. We talked about the pluses and minuses, the load path in the bushing, and some small details (Aluminum alloy, stress risers, dimensions). He took note of all of this, and reworked the design tirelessly the last week. When it became clear that a thin bushing could be accommodated without sacrificing strength, he started pricing out the new bushing. Ultimately, he felt the modest increase in cost justified this change. Outside his normal job, he worked this 24/7. The man is tireless! I have texts from him from 5am to midnight, literally.

He machined his first prototypes early this week, and has been testing them vigorously ever since. He devised some accelerated-testing methods which gave him enough confidence to start the first production batch. Watching all this has been fascinating. I can’t tell you how lucky we in the pin community are to have someone bring a truly great product to us as a microbusiness.

I’ve seen dozens of skeptics post about this system the last 10 days. I would hope some of you have the decency to recognize John’s efforts to listen and improve based on constructive feedback. The original design was 100% acceptable, frankly. The pinball community is conservative when it comes to change. Given this, the adoption of a proven design (oilite bushings) can only help with the initial concerns. It’s hard to find other examples of this in pinball or any other hobby where an innovator is this responsive and receptive to feedback. We should strongly encourage folks like John. Precision Flip is a wonderful system, and I’m proud to say I’ve been able to watch it come together from the front lines.

#243 1 year ago
    Quoted from awesome1:

You also have to make sure the EOS pawl isn't moving while you tighten the screw.

With all the testing I've been doing on my end, I found a little trick to position the EOS pawl. It's not so much a problem on the left-hand mechs, but the right-hand mechs rotate the EOS pawl into the bushing bolts. I found I can just tighten down the bolt, hard, then use a punch (or screwdriver) in the little "pocket" and tap the EOS pawl back into position. Here's a pic of where to put the punch (or screwdriver).
    IMG_2116 (resized).JPGIMG_2116 (resized).JPG

#244 1 year ago
    Quoted from Sorokyl:

Obviously you haven't tested this yet, but are there any compromises that come with adding the bushing, besides price? would you expect identical performance on brand new parts, just perhaps greater longevity / less maintenance? Would the same flipper strength adjustments, springs in godzilla from your installs of previous versions, all still be applicable to 2.0?

I just got a single set from John this morning for testing. We have a big Pinball party at our place tonight, and I'll test all weekend. On first glance, there's no other compromise other than cost that I can see. Tolerances are the same, and the same low-play exists between bushing and shaft. I'll report back after we have the party tonight and some time on the games this weekend.

edit: see below. tolerance on the new bushings is considerably better.
    IMG_2176 (resized).JPGIMG_2176 (resized).JPG

#246 1 year ago

My prior post on the new bushings is mistaken. They are not the same tolerance. They're considerably better. Just measured the slop and runout. Slop of the v2 bushing is just a touch over 1 mil. Old system was 2.5 mils. Runout (concentricity) is zero. I see no runout on my dial indicator. Both measurements show below FYI. Note at the end as I rotate the flipper through 180 degrees. No deflection on the gauge. Precision indeed.

#247 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Put a drop of super lube on the shaft, you should be good to go.
    It dries out and does not collect black dust.
    The oilite bearing should last forever with the super lube applied.
    amazon.com link »

Nice suggestion. I think I'll give this a try on one of them. I have this set as a test bed for John. I'll probably leave the other dry (no lube) for testing purposes. For end use, just a drop or so like desribed above is a good idea.

#252 1 year ago
    Quoted from awesome1:

I'm very mechanically inclined with a lot of experience, but open to any suggestions before I try the hex head bolt approach.
    [quoted image]

IMHO, hex head bolts are the way to go here. You can get a socket or closed-end wrench around them, and torque them easily. They torque way better than socket heads, too. This is one area the old Williams mechs were better. IIRC, they used a 7/16” (or was it 3/8”) nut to pinch the flipper shaft. The issue with the Williams mechs was the other side of the pinch bolt. It had a flat, anti rotation portion. That would sometimes wear out and no longer prevent rotation. Then you had to cut off the flipper bat. Been there, done that…

#261 1 year ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Expecting this on new hardware? Or games that don't have questionable past? No way.
    Talk of cutting stuff off or stripping out at my own hands... those are big red flags to me.

Pinch bolts are often stripped. I've bought or traded for games that required the flippers to be cutout to remove the flipper mech. More than once. Sure, you may have a tool-kit full of options for allen keys. Many customers don't. The combination of cheap Stern bolts, novice customers, and cheap tools can lead to problems.

One thing I've learned in dealing with the public. If something can be fouled up, however unlikely, somebody somewhere will find a way.

#266 1 year ago

I wasn't clear, either. It's the allen-head of the stern bolts that gets rounded out. John's new design provides a very nice, additional option for dealing with that circumstance by allowing the whole flipper mech to be removed with the flipper shaft attached. It's a thoughful touch, and an example of the attention to detail that he's demonstrated in the whole system.

#268 1 year ago
    Quoted from GroggyFrogFace:

I've put John's design on two machines now out of the three I have - Godzilla and AC/DC.

Your install looks great! The red really works on GZ.

Did you install the bushings as well? Be nice to keep track of this, and subsequent impressions. Thanks.

#274 1 year ago

It's been a very busy pinball weekend. We had a big pinball party on Friday night, and I've been play testing all weekend.

In sum, Precision Flip has performed flawlessly on the 5 games I've installed it in. The flipper bats are all solid and no movement in the bat/shaft joint after many hours of play on all the tables. I saw no flipper fade after about 4-5 hours of solid play. I don't have any external fans, BTW. Nearly everyone on Friday commented on the repeatability of various shots.

Regarding the v2 bushings: in my experience, these may play even slightly better. Super-repeatability, perhaps even a touch more than the earlier bushings. No flipper fade at all even with a few hours of heavy use. And they actually sound a bit different, too. You can draw your own conclusions about why; I'm still impressed at how incredibly precise the shaft/bushing combination is [with ~1 mil of slop; see video posted earlier].

A few have asked about using bushings on upper flippers. On most of my games, I did not upgrade to upper flipper bushings. The exceptions to this were tables that have tight, looping shots that might benefit from improved repeatability. I did put bushings on the upper flippers of GZ and JP. In my opinion, those tables were improved in that way, but most of the benefit of the precision system will be on the main flippers.

This system is a real upgrade. The "too-precise" argument is real, and everyone will have to decide for themselves if an ultra-smooth, no-slop, ultra-repeatable flipper upgrade is something they're interested in. I agree with Joel on this. Pinball is more fun when you make the shots you're aiming for. Precision Flip does more toward that goal than any mod released for our hobby. I'll repeat what I said in the very first post of this thread: Precision Flip is a bargain as far as mods go for Pinball. Peace.
    IMG_2188 (resized).JPGIMG_2188 (resized).JPG

1 week later
    #304 1 year ago

As some folks may not have followed this whole thread, they may not be aware that the new version of the bushings contain an oilite bronze sleeve. These are permanently lubricated and require no grease. You may use a touch of light oil if you wish, but it's not necessary. These bushings should last the life of the machine. Pics below of the oilite bushings in my test game, FYI.

D18782A1-3C7F-4A04-90BD-0E7C9104FF86IMG_2183 (resized).jpegD18782A1-3C7F-4A04-90BD-0E7C9104FF86IMG_2183 (resized).jpeg551920B8-0A21-4D63-A4FE-CA0C559EA718IMG_2184 (resized).jpeg551920B8-0A21-4D63-A4FE-CA0C559EA718IMG_2184 (resized).jpeg
    #315 1 year ago
    Quoted from Anony:

Does anyone know of a decent video that shows the process for changing flipper bats? I imagine it's not too hard but I've never done it myself so interested in exactly what needs to be done.

John includes a very good set of instructions, complete with many color photos to help. Review those, and if you still have questions, ask here. Many of us are available for assistance.

#326 1 year ago

Yes, the bushings are different between JJP and Stern. Make sure to spec the proper ones at the time of order.

#333 1 year ago

What color rubber do you have on your Mando? The blue might look really good with clear, black, or blue rubber.* Otherwise (and I've seen all the colors in person), I'd recommend silver for Mando.

*I had dark blue rubber on my Mando. Looked great.
    904558aba3ba6c07f3b036adb240720b2b54732c (resized).jpg904558aba3ba6c07f3b036adb240720b2b54732c (resized).jpg

#354 1 year ago

Put a green set on my GZ. Looks great; this color is an ideal match to the Godzilla on the PF. Rubbers are Titan light blue silicone. FYI, for those debating color choices. Silver and red also look great on this title.
    IMG_2293 (resized).JPGIMG_2293 (resized).JPGIMG_2295 (resized).JPGIMG_2295 (resized).JPGIMG_2296 (resized).JPGIMG_2296 (resized).JPG

#355 1 year ago

Red on AIQ. Purple Titan Silicone. Silver also looks great on this title.

IMG_2297 (resized).JPGIMG_2297 (resized).JPGIMG_2298 (resized).JPGIMG_2298 (resized).JPGIMG_2299 (resized).JPGIMG_2299 (resized).JPG
    1 week later
    #389 1 year ago

As mentionned, you use the removal tool provided with the kit. Screw this down to the top of the flipper, then thread the center bolt down to pop it off. Same procedure is used to adjust the flipper. Tip: I've found you really only need to use one screw to hold this to the flipper, saves a bit of time.
    IMG_2339 (resized).JPGIMG_2339 (resized).JPGIMG_2340 (resized).JPGIMG_2340 (resized).JPG

#409 1 year ago

I can only speak for myself. I found a substantial difference in play. Literally. For example, I can now repeat the upper loop shot on GZ many times. Previously, I was lucky to do it maybe twice in a row. The Smart Missile on JP is now about a 50% proposition; previously, it was around 10% at best. The Captain Marvel ramp on AIQ is now very repeatable, with far, far fewer weak shots.

These improvements may have something to do with my status as a really lousy player. I'm old, my timing isn't great, and these flippers seem to have removed some elements of the randomness in the timing. If you're already a great shot and can time these things on stock flippers, you might not see as much gain? Maybe.

Finally, you do need the whole system to for these improvements: bats, shafts, and bushings. We've had at least one person in this thread fail to install the bushings, then state they didn't see much improvement. Just FYI.

#416 1 year ago

The above-the-playfield adjustability of these flippers is a great feature. Of course, Ollie insists on helping everytime I remove the glass....

IMG_2265 (resized).JPGIMG_2265 (resized).JPG
    #429 1 year ago

Just got off the line with John. He's been working something pretty special the last few weeks that I've been helping to play test. He says "it's just about time to let the cat out of the bag." I'm not one for spoilers, so no more hints from me. You've been given enough already.

#431 1 year ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

If we have yet to order the current model of flippers should we hold off until seeing the upcoming thing?

John should answer that. I know he's ready to roll out his latest innovation, and they compliment his current offerings very, very well. You won't go wrong either way. For any more info, I'll wait for John to provide details.

#436 1 year ago

A bit of a closer view for those so interested.

IMG_2264 (resized).JPGIMG_2264 (resized).JPG
    #443 1 year ago

I've had a couple of versions of this design for the last 3 weeks and done some extensive play testing at John's request. In sum, they're basically a high-performance flipper bat. The key difference is low-weight. These do have a different feel than the regular flipper bats. They're snappier and more lively, if that makes sense? The difference is definitely noticeable. I suspect the free surface of these bats contributes a bit of elastic response to the ball hit as well, helping with the "snappy" feel these have. They've held up perfectly, no issues with strength, deformation, etc. They really are a nice alternative to the standard design. Depending on the layout and your style of play, you may prefer this design. It's so easy to change these out, you can try both styles and see which you like.

It's actually been eye-opening for me to see how much difference flipper bats make to the whole play experience. As noted throughout this review thread, Precision Flip does provide more control over shot making, at least for me. With this high-performance, hollow design (John's working title for these is "ghost flippers"), you now have the option for a different feel. I wouldn't say one is better than the other. It's more of a case that you should try the various options to see which you prefer. I think John is very wise to sell these as an add-on. You'll have to experience both types to appreciate the difference and decide.

In terms of aesthetics, the ghost flippers look amazing, even more-so in person. The inside is basically a mirror finish, and it reflects the PF art really, really well. A very different look than any other flipper I've seen. The quality of the CNC machining is outstanding. John takes great pride in these (and the whole system), and I've had another front-row seat to the whole development process. The details needed to pull this off are amazing, actually. I hope folks appreciate just how much work and care it takes to produce these. John did several iterations of this design, sometimes with small changes of only a few mils in various dimensions. Extensive play testing (which I got to help with!) was used to refine these throughout.

I'll be interested in what other people think when they get a chance to try these out. I can say with confidence that the whole Precision Flip ecosystem is filling out nicely (colors, flipper sizes, bat designs) with options for just about anyone. John has worked non-stop the last month (literally, he's spent 6-10 hours/day on top of his full time job) to bring these to our hobby. Thank you John, for all your dedication!

#465 1 year ago

Here's a set I play tested on Iron Maiden. If you look closely, you'll see a slightly different design on the upper flipper. We did a ton of testing of these the last few weeks.

68219432103__35E3F855-6D8E-4C6D-BB98-1CC50A9107F3 (resized).JPG68219432103__35E3F855-6D8E-4C6D-BB98-1CC50A9107F3 (resized).JPG
    #471 1 year ago
    Quoted from spspencer:

HALO (looks sorta like a ring)

This is really good! Halo Flip. I like it! I'll still remain neutral, but I'm more neutral about this one so far.

#508 1 year ago

FlingBats

#532 1 year ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Woah, let’s slow down on the marketing ideas and go to the master of marketing product names.
    Pinstadium.
    "Neo Cassiopeia Fission Omega Ion Blasters" has a nice ring to it.

You forgot the "+"

#585 1 year ago
    Quoted from Vespula:

I also think this thread might the most positive and fun that is or has been on pinside...

It's gotten quite fun and useful, absolutely. The first week, not so much. I got called all sorts of names and was accused of being a shill, etc. I'm just glad that others are finding the same advantages I did. I was a lonely voice for a couple of weeks, until others started installing these.

#588 1 year ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Post # 26 I said this. Haven't heard much from them fellas in the last 30 days. The public will be heard despite those early, very vocal, naysayers and I-Know-Better-Than-You types.

You called it. And, to be clear, it's overall now been a 100% awesome experience for me. Thanks to my posting the early review, John reached out and asked my opinions for his upcoming ideas. Most significantly, we consulted on the oilite bearings that become v2 of the bushings, and he sent me a couple early versions of the Ghost Flippers to playtest. I've had lots of fun discussions and a grand time helping John in a bunch of little ways, something I've enjoyed immensely.

John is way too modest to mention any of this, but he has a long and well-known history in another hobby I enjoy: RC Helicopters. He's quite famous in that community as an early pioneer. Not only was he an AMA National Helicopter champion in the 1970s (when it was REALLY hard to build much less fly these things), he and his father formed a famous company selling RC Helis (Kavan). That's a story itself (a plane crashed into their factory, and John barely escaped with his life). During all this, he was THE RC Heli guy for Hollywood. He's did tons of models and flying for many blockbuster movies, including Blue Thunder and the Towering Inferno. Look it up. The guy is literally a Legend. I hope he doesn't mind me giving a bit of his background. He's way more than qualified to build the best pinball mod of the year.

#598 1 year ago
    Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

Early on DiabloRush did some experimenting with the flipper rebound at the return. (snip) What he did was to remove two or three windings/coils from the return spring which resolved that rebound.

As the subject of flipper rebound has come up a few times, I'd thought I'd add a bit of info as well as some solutions for anyone that might experience this.

First, it's pretty rare. I only saw this effect on GZ. All the other games I've installed Precision Flip into have not had excessive flipper rebound. IMHO, the orientation of the flipper mech matters, with games that have the mech in a vertical orientation with the plunger returning downhill being the most susceptible.

When this first arose, I did a bit of testing I shared with John. I took slo-motion video (200 fps) of the effect and various solutions. Here's one of those videos from my GZ. The 2 flippers here have different return springs. The flipper on the left has a shortened return spring making it stronger. The flipper on the right is the stock spring. You'll clearly see the difference, below.

That video was the original, all aluminum bushings with (roughly) 2 mils of slop. I found the new oilite bushings (with less than 1 mil of slop) also dramatically reduced this problem. So much so, I didn't need to use a stiffer spring on GZ.

So, in sum:

1) it's rare to have excessive flipper rebound. I only saw this on GZ using v1 bushings and stock springs.
    2) it can be fixed by either using a stiffer spring (remove a few coils from stock) or just use the v2 bushings.

Hope that helps.

#628 1 year ago

My reading of this post is that it's quite supportive of John's system. Zambonilli provides a point/counterpoint to the various discussions that have occured in this thread, concluding that John has been responsive and willing to modify based on constructive feedback. Just FYI.

Quoted from Zambonilli:

First, there's no way these can work better than stock flippers. Early adopters quickly came back with positive results. Next, these will break down fast because metal on metal. John, quickly added to the instructions a $.0001 USD drop of 3 in 1 oil. Now, these are too powerful and aren't "tournament level". Most games have a configurable flipper power level that you can turn down, putting less stress on all the flipper components.
    It's okay to make mistakes, it's how we grow and learn. Why not buy a set, grit your teeth and do whatever mental gymnastics you have to do and give the community a real review after a week? You wouldn't even have to admit you might be wrong or aren't the smartest person in the room. I for one and the community at large, would welcome reviews from people with such vast knowledge and experience. John has also shown that he has acute product development acumen and would appreciate reviews from the harshest of critics so he can improve his products.

#640 1 year ago
    Quoted from koji:

no issues with getting any bends in that in use?

I've been play testing a set for almost 3 weeks now, no issues at all. I've been moving the flippers around to various games (like the upper flipper in AIQ) that really takes a pounding. No bending or any other issues. They've proven quite durable. I know John as been doing a similar amount of playtesting. FYI.

#681 1 year ago

Awesome name! Good fun, thanks for letting the community participate.

#704 1 year ago

Flex in the bushing is a contributor to slop. Aluminum is considerably stiffer than the nylon OEM bushings.

#726 1 year ago

Titan low-bounce rubber works well on these, and is slightly thinner, FYI.

#739 1 year ago
    Quoted from fooflighter:

Okay, just installed the Flipper/Bushing 3 x kit in my GnR LE...Holy Friggin Moly!
    Seriously, JJP should partner with you IMMEDIATELY 1956PINHEAD! It really makes the game feel entirely different in a great way! This is how GnR was meant to be played.

Thanks for the detailed review. You might consider cross-posting this to the JJP owner’s thread.

On a related note, it’s nice to finally see some substantial independent reviews coming in. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to provide your thoughts. Keep ‘em coming!

#740 1 year ago

I have a request for the community that has these installed. It concerns flipper fade, or rather, the lack of flipper fade with this system. I’d appreciate the thoughts of those that have these installed and have played a few longer sessions (under conditions that might give rise to flipper fade).

After about 6 weeks of use on my various games, I’ve not had flipper fade on any game. Note, I don’t have any aux cooling for the flipper coils on any of my games. If you’ve read my prior comments, you know I turned down the flipper power on these, something that nearly everyone else appears to do. As we discussed at length about a month ago, Precision Flip appears more efficient and hence, they’re more powerful than stock. I had speculated that this system might not suffer from as much fade, and with almost a month and half of testing, I’m still of that opinion.

Has anyone seen fade after installing these and adjusting the power to be stock equivalent? Conversely, have you not seen any fade where you did previously? This is a substantial benefit if it can be confirmed in use. Would be nice to gather some data from the community on this one aspect of performance. Thanks.

#745 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

If you want comparisons go to the Tibetan Breeze threads. The maker has got graphs and comparo charts.

For comparisons, yes. For actual performance degradation, maybe not. The highly efficient power transmission with Precision Flip could (potentially) mean that even increased coil resistance doesn’t mean as much fade. We’ve not had much discussion of this here, one of the reasons for my request.

#761 1 year ago

The ability to quickly change bats has attracted a bit of attention from tournament organizers. I know a couple have been in contact with John for this very reason. This isn’t new, many tournaments will change out to shorter bats for a tournament. John’s system makes this quick and easy. I also know John has supplied a few sets as prizes/gifts for some upcoming tourneys. FYI.

edit: changed context from "mid-tourney" to "for a tourney"

#764 1 year ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

I play in tons of tournament's and I've never once seen them changed out mid tourney.
    On occasion I'll bump into some lightning flippers, but they're installed from the start.

For example, here’s a tourney organizer that does change flipper bats:

Quoted from pins4life33:

Ya that would be a game changer for us you would get a big order from us if they were adjustable, it is a pain in the butt in shows for us where we always have to change them out. Changing them from the top would be a major improvement for sure.

#767 1 year ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

Not mid tourney though

Ah, yes. You may be right and I misunderstood. I do vaguely recall a discussion of changing to shorter bats in some tourney. I'll see if I can find it, but it could just be another senior-moment for me. Way too many of those lately.

#786 1 year ago

Just to add to John's description, I've installed these in 6 games and haven't had any tight-fit of the bushings. The clearance has been pretty generous. If you do find this happening, it's likely due to a PF that has an undersized hole. I would not force a bushing into this from underneath, you'll risk chipping the clear coat. Get in touch with John, and he can provide some options for enlarging the hole safely.

Here's a few pictures of the normal fit of the bushing. Note the first pic is the old-style bushing with no oilite. All new bushings have bronze bushings, as seen in the 2nd pic.

IMG_2113 (resized).JPGIMG_2113 (resized).JPGIMG_2184 (resized).JPGIMG_2184 (resized).JPG

#813 1 year ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

If these don't win mod of the year, it means the twippys are rigged!! Great job

Does anyone know how the process for the TWIPY awards work? I can't find any evidence that This Week in Pinball has ever reviewed or discussed Precision Flip.

#823 1 year ago

Add The Hobbit to the list.

032D50C6-AA76-46F7-9AEC-20CD7905D4CD (resized).jpeg032D50C6-AA76-46F7-9AEC-20CD7905D4CD (resized).jpeg

#831 1 year ago

I've been nagging John to do another anodization (color) run on both the miniflippers and the Halographic Pros. It's not cheap, unfortunately. To help, perhaps we should list our 3 preferred colors for this. Here's mine:

Gold
    Red
    Black

Come on, John. You know you're going to cave and make this happen...

#877 1 year ago
    Quoted from Hangry:

Just installed them in my Metallica today. They look fantastic

WOW! Those may be the best table yet for the Halographic Pros. Stunning.

#887 1 year ago
    Quoted from atg1469:

I installed a three flipper set on GnR last night and still need to find tune the angle of the flippers, but my first impression is that the left flipper feels much snappier than the right. I’m wondering if this could be due to the fact that the right flipper also controls both upper flippers? They even sound different with the left having a solid “clack” while the right is slightly deeper and a little more muted (if that makes sense?!). I also had a bitch of a time getting the right flippers tight enough so that they stayed in place and didn’t move position when flipping, so wondering if I possibly over tightened or something? Seems doubtful to me but curious to hear if any other GnR owners had similar experiences/impressions they can share.

How does each feel when moving manually? They should be loose with no binding. Is the flipper gap the same? Any binding at all will sap power, and you want the same, slight gap on each mechanism. Another thing to check is the coil stop. Make sure it's screwed down solid. Those can loosen up. It's also possible (especially on Sterns) that the coil stop itself will loosen from the metal bracket. In general, just go over each mech and ensure they're tight with no binding.

#891 1 year ago
    Quoted from atg1469:

Would you be willing to take a picture of your flipper shaft as it sits in the bushing without the flipper installed? I’m curious what size gap you’re referring to. My flipper shaft is sitting flush with the bushing so maybe this is my issue.

The "gap" I'm referring to here is the up/down movement of the shaft in the bushing. You should be able to pull the flipper straight up along the axis of the shaft and have just a bit of play here. The usual rule-of-thumb is the thickness of a credit card. Move it up and down, and if you can't hear it "clunk" and move just a bit, you're too tight.

1 week later
    #934 1 year ago

I’d like to make the case that Precision Flip should be considered for a TWIPY “Mod of the year” award.

For all the innovation in pinball, very few mods have demonstrably improved the playing experience itself. Precision Flip does this, magnificently. Flipper design has been essentially unchanged since the Williams mechs introduced with System 11. Functional and reliable, this design was chosen chiefly for cost. One tradeoff - something we didn’t really appreciate until Precision Flip - was the sloppy tolerances in OEM flippers that lead to imprecise play. Prior attempts to improve this design have failed, due to either poor manufacturing or engineering design. Until now.

John has succeeded where prior efforts at producing metal flipper bats have failed. Previous attempts were heavy, and the bat/shaft joint was weak and slipped. John solved both these problems with skill and innovation. His exceptional experience in CNC machining and alloy-specification produced a light and strong aluminum part, an accomplishment he magnified with his Halographic designs. His conical-splined interface - for which a patent is pending - has proven the ideal solution to a vexing problem. Finally, John has proven to be exceptional at both customer service and accepting constructive suggestions. Based on feedback here, he modified his bushing design (at considerable expense, I might add) to include oillite bushings. While the original design was perfectly functional, this extra step was requested by customers and put to rest any lingering concerns about metal/metal wear.

I honestly can’t think of a third-party mod that improves the play experience as much as Precision Flip. It’s reliable, reasonably priced (especially compared to 3D printed cosmetic mods that cost hundreds), and offers a selection of colors and designs to fit any table. By any standard, John’s offering is exceptional and deserving of recognition. When the time comes to nominate and vote for the TWIPYs this year, I hope you’ll join me in bringing John this much-deserved accolade.

#976 1 year ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

I replaced the springs on Zep with shorter springs, but still lots of bounce compared to the stock upper right flipper.

I've had good luck installing a stiffer spring to really cure the flipper rebound (bounceback). Harbor Freight sells a nice set of springs that includes several in various strengths that will work. FYI.

#982 1 year ago
    Quoted from Hammer97e:

Is this the kit you are referring to? Experiencing some rebound on Stranger Things with HALOs, though not has bad as PoMC. Thanks.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/200-piece-assorted-spring-set-67562.html

Yes, that's the kit. There's several length springs in there, choose your length (shorter is stronger).

#1003 1 year ago

Had a chance to install and playtest John's new "keyed" flipper shafts and linkages on the Rush LE I just traded for. It's a fantastic design. Install was a piece-of-cake, and they work as advertised. Rock solid, and you no longer have to crank way-down to keep the shaft from rotating. They're exactly the same size as the flipper linkages on Stern LEs. You move the existing spring holder over to the new linkage. John's linkage is a universal fit, while the EOS Pawl/Spring mount is either right- or left-handed. Put the appropriate mount over the linkage, and you're good-to-go.

I've had issues with both Stern and JJP linkages bending after a while and no longer providing enough strength to keep from rotating. This new design solves that. I know John is working on a solution for JJP games (and honestly, they need it even more that Stern. JJP linkages are junk, with high-zinc metal that has little strength). Thanks John, again, for a practical mod that continues to improve upon your system.
    IMG_2643 (resized).JPGIMG_2643 (resized).JPGIMG_2649 (resized).JPGIMG_2649 (resized).JPG

#1004 1 year ago

An example of a ruined JJP linkage. This has bent to the point that it can no longer keep the shaft from rotating. The JJP design is the same as the old Williams mechs, but they use a much cheaper metal that has little strength. I have a supply of older Williams linkages, and I usually use an older Williams part when upgrading JJP games. The metal in the older Williams mechs is considerably stronger.

If you're forced to use JJP linkages, be careful on tightening. It's possible to over tighten, and they'll start slipping more. It's a tricky balance to tighten JJP linkages. Tighten a little at a time, and then test-play to see if they rotate. Repeat until tight enough.

IMG_2635 2 (resized).JPGIMG_2635 2 (resized).JPG

#1008 1 year ago

Hobbit is a fantastic game. Closest thing to an RPG in pinball. Great for the home environment, where you can tune this up and getting everything working in sync.

I’m partial to the Precision Flip blue flippers on this title.
    396B1BE5-FCFB-465D-B260-8C2FD1B55C7E (resized).jpeg396B1BE5-FCFB-465D-B260-8C2FD1B55C7E (resized).jpeg

#1038 1 year ago

Some welcome news for JJP/Williams owners. The recent stock JJP flipper linkages are junk. They're made of soft metal, and they distort after just 1 or 2 tightenings and are no longer able to pinch the flipper shaft sufficiently to prevent slippage. In the past, I've installed new links or reused older Williams brackets when installing Precision Flip in my JJP games. Now, John has a better solution: his keyed shafts.

At John's request, I've test-installed his new, keyed flipper link into a JJP game. It turns out, the critical geometry (flipper shaft to pivot spacing) of the JJP flipper link is identical to Stern's. Hence, the same link can interchange between Stern and JJP flipper mechs. The only complication is the need for the spring attachment and end-of-stroke pawl. As a test, John and I tried a Stern switch bracket on John's keyed link, and it works perfectly on JJP tables. You reuse the JJP plunger and pivot parts, as shown below.

Here's a few pics as a preview. I ordered Stern switch actuators from Marcos; I'm pretty sure John will include these when he makes this system available for purchase. Hopefully, these pics are self explanatory. Be sure to use a touch of anti-sieze (or grease) on the pinch bolt, as these will gall in the aluminum links without it.

FYI.
    DSC_0444 (resized).JPGDSC_0444 (resized).JPGDSC_0450 (resized).JPGDSC_0450 (resized).JPGDSC_0456 (resized).JPGDSC_0456 (resized).JPGDSC_0459 (resized).JPGDSC_0459 (resized).JPGIMG_2728 (resized).JPGIMG_2728 (resized).JPGUnknown (resized).jpegUnknown (resized).jpeg

#1039 1 year ago

I forgot to mention, in our test-install, we carefully looked at the total flipper stroke length. They're identical between OEM JJP and the upgraded keyed link. Here's a pic: flipper on the left is John's keyed link; flipper on the right is the OEM JJP. No issues, either, with clearance or EOS activation.
    IMG_2712.jpg (resized).jpegIMG_2712.jpg (resized).jpeg

#1042 1 year ago
    Quoted from Vespula:

iceman44 and DiabloRush
    Both of you guys have GNR... Can you comment on the above experience, specifically under the flipper shot with these precision flippers and halo? Is this a one off or do you also find the same results as fooflighter ?
    Thanks

I haven't seen any difference compared to stock flippers that I can recall. I for-sure haven't noticed a difference in the under-the-flipper shot, and I can check for the backhand shot specifically when I'm back from a business trip at the end of this week.

#1050 1 year ago
    Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

I also wanted to share with everyone that as of last weekend 14 games out on one location have now racked up over 2,300 plays each with my flipper system installed, and all with the original aluminum bushings. The owner and maintainer of the games reports that to date he's had to replace 5 broken return springs with no other mechanical issues. That's over 32,000 combined games played on those 14 machines.

I can confidently say this doesn’t surprise me at all. If you want to torture yourself and read through the first few pages of this thread, you’ll see a detailed discussion of exactly this issue. TL/DR version: John did his homework, and it was clear that the original (all aluminum) bushings would work fine in this application (and there’s solid engineering data to back this up).

None-the-less, the pin crowd was still skeptical, and in the “customer is always right” department, John added an extra layer of engineering margin to produce v2 of the bushings with oilite bronze. Once this version was released, I don’t recall any more negative commentary regarding bearing surfaces in this thread, so clearly this was a successful iteration. The majority of my games are still on v1 of the bearings, and I’ve neither had any issues nor do I feel any need to swap for v2. I’m confident the original design is just as sound.

#1055 1 year ago

The anodized Halographic Flippers are just stunning in person. No photo can really capture how good these look. And the play is fantastic, too.

BTW, Rush is an incredibly good game. The more I play, the more I appreciate the whole package. IMHO, it's underrated. Top-5 all-time pin for me now.
    IMG_2753 (resized).JPGIMG_2753 (resized).JPGIMG_2755 (resized).JPGIMG_2755 (resized).JPG

#1062 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jackaltr:

I got mine in a few days ago and just modified them for my Data East Jurassic Park. Can't wait to get them in!
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Fantastic work! That's a great jig you built for this.

#1065 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jackaltr:

On a side note, are the bearing inserts standard Oilite sleeves?

They are standard Oilite, and I do know John does ream each to get his precision fit. He has very special tooling for this, as you have to be careful with oilite to preserve the oil retention properties and not clog the pores. I’m sure John will chime in with a bit more to say. It does take a bit of special tooling and procedure to use Oilite (grinding is a big no-no, for example).

#1068 1 year ago

I hope others are beginning to see the amazing amount of engineering, complexity, and manufacturing skill needed to produce these. There’s a reason it hasn’t been done before, it really takes special expertise to do this right. And given all this, I’m still amazed at how cheap this system is, especially compared to other pinball mods. Thanks John, you’ve made a wonderful contribution to the pinball hobby.

1 week later
    #1163 1 year ago

Green Precision Flippers on an Emerald City LE WOZ. Looks and plays great!

IMG_0061 (resized).JPGIMG_0061 (resized).JPGIMG_0063 (resized).JPGIMG_0063 (resized).JPG
    #1229 1 year ago
    Quoted from Nstone4425:

So I ended up ordering a gold set for my Rush LE and I'm sure I'll be ordering more.

Welcome to the club! Gold looks AMAZING on Rush LE, especially with the antiqued brass screw kit. Either solid or Halo.
    1D8535EE-0971-463C-9F56-41C1F81F72AD (resized).jpeg1D8535EE-0971-463C-9F56-41C1F81F72AD (resized).jpeg

#1246 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

But from the two pictures you posted, it shows the bottom of the "normal" flipper being 4/32" above the playfield, and it shows the precision flipper being 9/32" above the playfield. I don't see how that can be an optical illusion unless your ruler is deformed.

Look at the height of the rubber above the PF. That's the critical measurement. It's the same.

Hundreds of hours of playtesting these myself and accumulated 10,000s of hours of play in nearly 5 months in the community. I've never had flipper hop, not once on about a dozen games I've playtested these on. Nor has this ever been reported as an issue. FYI.

#1272 1 year ago
    Quoted from Vespula:

This sounds similar to the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

African or European?

#1291 1 year ago
    Quoted from Turtlemaster:

Hi guys. I need your help ! I installed a few kits of the classic precision flip and it went pretty well. Except on one of my pinballs where no matter how hard I tightened the linkage, the shaft kept slipping after a few seconds of playing. I changed the linkage for brand new one three times and even on the last time, same issue. Believe me they were tight, almost broke every time.
    So my question is: when will the keyed shafts be available ? I need them desperately
    Kind regards

I feel your pain. Been there, done that. As I had a chance to playtest John's new keyed linkage, it solves this problem once and for all. Until then, consider this: with a new linkage, it's possible to over tighten them. I've found I just creep up on the proper tension. Tighten a bit and test. Repeat with small increments. If you just crank down on these, it deforms the linkage so badly that they won't clamp the shaft, even when the ends are touching. Terrible design, honestly, but its what we have. It's a stop gap for now.

For whatever reason, only the later-model JJP games seems to have this problem. I recently installed Precision Flip into both a Hobbit and WOZ, and each tightened up nicely on the stock linkages and didn't deform. Not the case on my GnR. Those linkages deformed like cooked pasta. This was then the testbed for the new keyed links using Stern EOS pawls. Works great, I'm glad to say. Solution in coming from John soon.

#1310 1 year ago

Fortunately, it should be the last time you have to worry about mounting these shafts.

Just a reminder: you can remove the shaft, bushing, and linkage as a unit without pulling the shaft from the (potentially tightly fitted) linkage. With the flipper removed, John milled down the conical portion of the shaft so that it will slip through the hole in the playfield.

Probably a better way to remove a tightly-fitted shaft if you ever need to for whatever reason. Once out of the game, you can tap it out properly on a vice. Which suggests something new as well: if you wanted to be super precise about the flipper gap (or just have good access to everything), you could also do this as an alternate way to mount everything. Fit it all up on the workbench, tighten the pinch bolt with the proper gap, then mount the bushing/shaft/link combo onto the flipper mech. FYI.

#1315 1 year ago
    Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

His suggestion makes perfect sense for new installations (or general removal/replacement) to build up the flipper shaft, bushing, and link-arm clamps outside the game. It can all be set up on the work bench as a stand alone assembly.

The only tricky part of this is tightening all 3 bushing bolts. I think there’s enough room that rotating the shaft will allow access. As none of us has tried this yet, someone should report back any access issues tightening down these bolts, or other issues. You’ll have to remove the coil stop and coil to fit the whole assembly, but that’s pretty easy (and replace the junk Stern coil stops while your’e at it).

#1316 1 year ago

Mandalorian LE. You can install the shafts on the miniPF without removing it (bushings in the miniPF are total overkill and not needed). Access to both pinch bolts is possible when you raise the miniPF to it's highest position.

IMG_0089 (resized).JPGIMG_0089 (resized).JPGIMG_0090 (resized).JPGIMG_0090 (resized).JPG
    #1332 1 year ago

Thought I’d document the solution to an issue that arose during my most recent installation on a Stern Mandalorian. The issue I had was occasionally, a flipper would remain stuck after I released the flipper button. This was an electrical issue, which I easily verified (testing with glass off and also the flipper would fall when power was removed).

Anyway, after a bit of hunting, I found the issue. The gap on the EOS switch was fairly large, a result of the EOS pawl having rotated during installation and hence pushing the EOS switch more than normal. Stern Spike 2 requires a fairly narrow EOS gap in order for the software timings to work properly. The solution was to rotate the EOS pawl back to level and ensure it gave only a small gap when the flipper was fully extended.

Perhaps this will help others. Good luck.

Search terms: stuck flipper, end of stroke, gap, Spike 2 flipper hold

#1349 1 year ago

Let us know how accurate phantom flip is on MB with the halos. Been wondering about that ever since John released these.

1 week later
    #1401 1 year ago

3d-printed static toys go for $200+ Toppers now sell for $2k. Premium sculpts (JP T-Rex, etc.) are $500+ Backwall sculpts routinely run $600+.

$70/flipper for a premium upgrade that demonstrably improves play is a bargain among mods. Best bang/buck in the hobby.

Thanks John, so very much. I know how much work and effort went into these. I'm still stunned you make any money at all, honestly. The CNC time alone must cost at least what you're charging for the Halos.

#1432 1 year ago

It’s a bit hard to tell from the pics (as the fracture surface is out of focus a bit), but that looks like brittle failure in Aluminum. If so, it was a rapid crack growth, probably happened all at once. This is opposed to ductile failure which is associated with fatigue damage.

This is important, as ductile failure can be due to excessive strain (and hence, a need for more material* in the base design). Brittle fracture like this is almost always due to impurities of some sort in the metal providing a weak point which then fracture under load. If this is brittle fracture, that points to a material defect and not a design defect. I’d need to see the surface under slight magnification to confirm this. FYI.

*more material is another example of “the first rule of engineering”. What’s that? “more is better”.

#1437 1 year ago

I'm super-happy with the solid greens in my Emerald Edition Woz.

IMG_0061 (resized).JPGIMG_0061 (resized).JPG
    1 week later
    #1533 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ashram56:

So any feedback on Hobbit clamp quality?

I’ve had no issues tightening Hobbit and WOZ clamps. They used better metal a few years ago. It’s only the recent JJP titles that have the crap linkages.

#1543 1 year ago

Thanks for the review and tips. Those look fantastic on your Alien.

#1556 1 year ago

One problem with keyed extended-shafts is the actual length of these varies all over the place, depending on the game. There's no standard. It would be a nightmare to stock shafts in these many different lengths. So far, I've installed extended length shafts in GnR and WOZ, and each was different in length, with the excess poking out the bottom of the flipper mech. Also, nearly all of these are for 2" flippers, and hence don't have the same high-torque that regular flippers see. Thus, the application-based need is quite a bit less for these as well.

I'd gently suggest that if someone needed a keyed shaft that it would be easier to just grind down an existing extended-length shaft at the correct length. It's not that hard with a bench grinder.

FYI.

#1582 1 year ago

I have light blue rubber on my GZ with green flippers. Looks fantastic in person.
    A26218A2-CED4-4EB9-B71B-292CF84BE856 (resized).jpegA26218A2-CED4-4EB9-B71B-292CF84BE856 (resized).jpeg

#1589 1 year ago
    Quoted from purbeast:

Damn that does look great!
    Wonder what green halos would look like with light blue.

Join us in pestering John to get Halos in Green (as well as the new Purple, yeah!). John? You gonna run green and purple for your next Halo batch?

#1609 1 year ago

How far above the playfield are your bushings? The conical portion of the bat is the same diameter as the outside of the bushing, and if your bushings aren’t above the table, you wouldn’t be able to snug the flippers against the shafts as the “cone” will be too low.

Check this and your mounting of the bushings. Looks from your pic like this is an AFM? Do you have the Williams version of the bushings? If I recall, these are longer than the Sterns. Could you perhaps have installed Stern bushings and they’re not long enough?

#1611 1 year ago

That’s just so weird. Perhaps post a picture of the conical portion of the shaft along with the matching surface in the bat. I’ve not heard of this problem; I’ve had no issue getting dozens and dozens of these to tighten easily.

Another possibility is the threaded hole in the shaft is too shallow? The screw can’t extend enough to tighten against the bat? Very rarely, I get some machine turnings in these threads. Perhaps a bit of turning is stuck in the bottom, preventing the screw from going all the way in?

This is a 10-32 thread. If you have access to a tap and die set, perhaps consider chasing the threads, and perhaps deepening the cut. Along this line, how far down does the screw go in without a bat attached? Does it go all the way in?

#1619 1 year ago
    Quoted from GreenMachine19:

I guess I could try and put a 10/32 nut on the screw and grind a couple threads off with my die grinder?

That would certainly work if you have a grinder. You should still post a pic of the bare shaft and screw to see how far it can be inserted. For comparision, here's what it should look like:

IMG_0375 (resized).JPGIMG_0375 (resized).JPG
    #1634 1 year ago
    Quoted from Higloss67:

They tighten enough to play for a while but come loose. I don’t feel that this set of flipper bats / shafts would hold tight under a lot of use.

I've had the opposite experience. I installed about a half-dozen of the original sets, and they're super-tight. I have to use the removal tool everytime. I've not had a single flipper come loose in over 5 months of pretty heavy usage on a half-dozen games.

#1656 1 year ago

I installed the longer in my GnR, and I didn't bother with a metal bushing. Same for the mini upper flipper on WOZ.

1 week later
    #1697 1 year ago

I believe the Twippy awards allow you to vote for up to 3 mods. The mod recieving the most votes is the winner. I'm voting for ONLY the Precision Flip system and nothing else. This is far-and-away the most potent way to vote in this type of system. FYI.

#1703 1 year ago
    Quoted from Baggerman:

I firmly beleive that a lisencing deal with the main pinball manufacturers on this system is needed..... royalties in perpetuity.

Having worked with John over the last 6 months as he’s developed this system, it’s my observation that it would be a significant investment for an OEM manufacturer to tool-up to produce this system. John has access to some very speciality tooling and CNC equipment that isn’t cheap. The number of operations involved in making these is actually quite complex. There’s a reason prior efforts at making an adjustable metal flipper system were failures.

I’ve said several times in this thread that John’s design and expertise really is quite special. He’s an extraordinary engineer with a multi-decade background in solving (and selling) some very elegant engineering designs to the hobby market. He and his father produced RC Helicopter kits in the 70s and early 80s when such things were almost impossibly complex and equally difficult to fly. He was the 1974 AMA National RC Helicopter champion, btw, too. He built and flew RC Helicopters for several blockbuster Hollywood movies including The Towering Inferno and Blue Thunder (in which a helicopter does a loop for the first time on film).

Anyway, please excuse the diversion. Making Precision Flip is not easy, and some of the tooling is probably cost-prohibitive for an OEM manufacturer. It’s more likely one of these OEMs will just contract John to produced the parts for some of their high-end offerings. IMHO.

#1707 1 year ago

duplicate

3 weeks later
    #1832 1 year ago
    Quoted from Vespula:

Hey just a general question here is there any reason for my GNR that I should not use the clamping system? Also same question for bushings? Just the halo flippers on the stock system? Or should I go the full Monty clamps + bushings? I'm just confused best setup for gnr with the combinations here and different people's recommendations seems to conflict. I'm going halo btw

If you have the JJP GnR, then the clamp system is nearly mandatory. The newer JJP clamps are junk*, and will bend/deflect when you tighten on the hardened shafts. John developed the keyed clamp system mainly to solve this problem with JJP (Williams) linkages.

------

*the older JJP clamps on my Hobbit and WOZ were fine. My GnR required new linkages. The metal JJP has been using in their linkages recently is really flimsy.

2 weeks later
    #1952 1 year ago

Just got a set of the Halos in Green. Perfect fit for my GZ.

IMG_0628.JPG (resized).jpegIMG_0628.JPG (resized).jpegIMG_0627.JPG (resized).jpegIMG_0627.JPG (resized).jpeg
    2 weeks later
    #2039 1 year ago
    Quoted from killborn:

Got my purple Halos on my Sth tonight. I'm looking forward to playing some games this weekend!

Those look fantastic! A perfect match. Gorgeous!

#2047 1 year ago

The purple on Rush looks fantastic! Thanks for posting this.

1 week later
    #2098 1 year ago

Are you certian you have bolt screwed into the bracket properly? One side is threaded, one side is not. You need to make sure the threaded side is at the end of the bolt and that it will close (pinch) the bracket against the shaft.

Regarding the EOS pawl, you can loosen the whole assembly and wiggle it to center the hole. Good luck.

#2104 1 year ago

The gunmetal Halos look killer. Great choice!

2 weeks later
    #2162 1 year ago

John, you have many friends and supporters here. We know what your mod does for our games, and you're truly the MVP to us. Don't let this get you down. More and more will discover what a wonderful thing you've done for our hobby, and we'll all look back on this and say we were with you at the beginning of this journey. Thank you!

#2173 1 year ago

The stock linkages on JJP GnR are crap. They deform, and you can't get them tight enough to prevent slipping. They're a once-tighten-and-done type of thing. Even your stock flippers will slip now, too. You need John's keyed flipper shafts and linkages. I'm sure John will chime in and provide details on how to order. If those are out of stock, you can order new linkages from Marco. Marco's ar a better quality steel and will tighten down just fine.

#2211 1 year ago

John and I have been discussing heat transfer from the coils for over half a year. The proof is in the testing. John has been using some advanced instruments in his testing and design, and I'm sure John will eventually publish these results. I think the community will be impressed with the performance of John's design. The data shows this, quite clearly.

#2212 1 year ago

I know John is on the road all day returning from TPF. I’ll just say that John has spent quite a bit of time refining his coil cooling solution. And the data is definitive. John’s design results in lower coil temperatures than all the alternatives examined. He’s been using a proper FLIR thermal camera system to map the temperature and refine his design. I’ll bet John shares some of his thermal camera images when he gets back, now that he’s publicly revealed this whole system.

3 weeks later
    #2325 12 months ago

The MBR install looks great. When the flipper rotates, it will close the EOS switch, just like it should. And yes, these flippers have a bit of material removed from the bottom. That’s normal. The flipper rubber (the part that counts) is still in the same location. Everything looks good here.

1 week later
    #2372 11 months ago

For Spike 2 games, I've found that lowering flipper power between 15 and 30 points from stock settings is about right. I start by taking 20 points off and adjust from there. YMMV. Good luck.

#2383 11 months ago

As a general rule, I go over every NIB pin to ensure things are tight underneath the playfield. Sterns in-particular consistently have very loose hardware. I’m amazed, actually, at how consistently every NIB Stern I’ve had recently has needed tightening of (especially) posts. FYI.

#2421 11 months ago

Regarding flipper stops on the new Sterns: look for gold dust in the cabinet area under the flippers. If you see any, you need to replace the stops. They come loose, generate the gold dust, and eventually fail. In between, they get loose which degrades flipper performance.

1 month later
    #2499 9 months ago

that’s great news. Congratulations, John.

2 weeks later
    #2510 9 months ago

Just finished restoring a Fish Tales. Green Precision Flip goes perfectly with this title. FT originally came with powerful WPC coils (Blue). The steep ramps benefit from Precision Flip, as does the nearly-impossible extra-ball shot, which can only be hit by backhanding the right flipper (and explains my slightly higher flipper position).
    IMG_2001 (resized).JPGIMG_2001 (resized).JPGIMG_2002 (resized).JPGIMG_2002 (resized).JPGIMG_2006 (resized).JPGIMG_2006 (resized).JPG

IMG_1997 (resized).JPGIMG_1997 (resized).JPG
    1 week later
    #2516 8 months ago
    Quoted from Ollulanus:

It's funny, the first couple sets I installed always came off easy without using the puller, but since then I almost always need it.

I believe John made a small change to later models and left the contact area in the flipper pocket un-anodized. Anodizing hardens the surface, which makes it a bit more difficult for the splines on the shaft to "bite" into the flipper. Later models don't have an anodized pocket, and hence, the shaft gets a firmer contact, which requires use of the tool to separate.

#2529 8 months ago

IMHO, Stern is the Taco Bell of pinball. Allow me to elaborate. Taco Bell's core business is taking a dozen ingredients and turning them into a menu of about 40-50 items. This is Stern to me. They have a core parts bin and a restricted list of licensed content and from these, they just crank them out. I feel most of the recent Sterns are quite similar to each other, frankly, and start to feel like they're all using the same limited parts bin.

Contrast this to the WPC titles from the 90s. Each of those pins was magnficiently unique. The smaller manufacturers are taking more risks. Look at JJP. They had an utterly unique title in 2017 (Dialed In) which by no-coincidence is the most "WPC-like" game of the modern era (and designed by one of the great 90s designers as well). Or American Pinball. Give them huge credit for taking risks on novel content, some licensed, some not. Or Pinball Brothers and Spooky, they're also pushing boundaries in ways that Stern is not.

I think Stern has developed a formula and a system, and they're now cranking them out (quite successfully) based on that. Potential titles are limited to comic books, movies, and bands. That's about it. Didn't Gary Stern say about 20 years ago he'd only do licensed properties? Contrast this to both WPC games and the smaller manufacturers. Plenty of choice in the hobby now. Lately, I've been mixing it up with a combination of WPC games I've enjoyed restoring and some non-Stern moderns. YMMV.

3 weeks later
    #2566 7 months ago

The improvements in accuracy with this system is no longer a matter of conjecture or opinion. It’s pretty much established fact, as attested by the hundreds of posts here from dozens of owners that have installed this system. We spent considerable time discussing this over a year ago, and I’m pretty confident in saying that the claims made regarding Precision Flip were proven correct in application.

#2587 7 months ago

The reason John's system reduces fade is his system has considerably less wasted motion. One consequence of this is a need to reduce flipper power to achieve results similar to stock. Reducing power lowers the duty cycle on the coil, which in turn, reduces heat. Hence, less (or no) flipper fade.*

The days of conjectures about this system based on opinion rather than actual use are well behind us. It's now been installed in thousands of games, including those from hundreds of members here. All you need to do is ask for the results from the many folks that have this system. They can attest to efficacy of these flippers, including increases in precision and reduced operating temperatures.

----
    *The reduction in back-EMF in the coil due to less resistance to motion is also important. This may even be a larger contributor to heat reduction than lowering the power.

#2597 7 months ago
    Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

AMartin56 DiabloRush had done some in depth testing with various springs and I think his take away was that the stock springs in Stern games seemed to be OK.

We did a bit of spring testing when the system was released. The summary is this: bounceback isn't really an issue on most games. If you do have a small amount of this on your game and (likely a result of the flipper mech orientation) you can fix it by installing a stiffer return spring. I've done about 15 games with Precision Flip, and only saw noticeable bounce back on 1 or 2 titles (Godzilla and one other if I remember). Wasn't a big deal at all, and a stiffer spring was an easy fix. Even this fix was me being overly picky. Honestly, I probably wouldn't worry about it today.

I'll also mention, I saw this small amount of bounceback on the v1 version of the bushings before John started using oilite bronze inserts. Haven't really noticed anything with the newer bushings. Those early v1 bushings are an ancient relic now. Anyone purchasing this system since last summer has the better verison with bronze inserts.

3 weeks later
    #2624 7 months ago

Precision Flip on No Good Gofers. This title benefits from the increased power. Williams installed the strongest standard coil on this game to help with the steep ramps at the end of the playfield and the slam ramp shots. Plays exceptionally well with the Precision Flip upgrade.

Orange Titan rubber with Red Solids.

IMG_2505 (resized).JPGIMG_2505 (resized).JPGIMG_2506 (resized).JPGIMG_2506 (resized).JPG
    #2631 6 months ago

That looks fantastic. Great job.

1 week later
    #2638 6 months ago

Violet Halos on Willy Wonka. Great game, and noticeably improved with Precision Flippers. There's so many shots on this game, perhaps the most varied upper flipper shots on any title.

DZleF (resized).jpegDZleF (resized).jpegIMG_0126 (resized).JPGIMG_0126 (resized).JPG
    2 weeks later
    #2651 6 months ago
    Quoted from datakyki:

But more of a concern is I also wonder if the spring adjustments & bounce back are going to be significantly different such that swapping flipper types is a bad idea?

Congratulations, Rush is a fantastic machine. I've had Precision Flip on my Rush table for over a year. Rush doesn't have much bounce-back on the flippers. I don't notice any at all, frankly. Only a few titles have a bit of this, mainly those with vertically oriented flipper mechs (like Godzilla). I wouldn't worry about swapping between solids and Halos on Rush. The switch is quck and easy, and your kids probably will love the slightly longer flippers on this table to help.

Either Halos or Solids look great with this title. I did mine in Gold with Purple Titan rubber.

IMG_2649 (resized).JPGIMG_2649 (resized).JPGIMG_2750 (resized).JPGIMG_2750 (resized).JPG
    1 week later
    #2666 5 months ago

Violet Halos on Wonka. The color is close to fuschia, just a bit less red. The purple is more a true purple. FYI..
    IMG_0126 (resized).JPGIMG_0126 (resized).JPGIMG_0127 (resized).JPGIMG_0127 (resized).JPG

4 weeks later
    #2714 4 months ago

John has a copper in stock, which is a variant on orange. Looks great.

Screenshot 2023-11-28 at 12.30.53?PM (resized).jpgScreenshot 2023-11-28 at 12.30.53?PM (resized).jpg
    4 weeks later
    #2757 3 months ago

That looks fantastic with the gun metal/purple combo. May have to do this on my ST.

1 month later
    #2799 64 days ago

JJP Godfather. The best looking colors were gold and red. Given the light shows on GF are heavily-red, that tended to wash out with the red flippers. Ended up with Gold Halos here, looks great. And this shoots magnificently with the precisions.
    IMG_1304 (resized).jpegIMG_1304 (resized).jpegIMG_1306 (resized).jpegIMG_1306 (resized).jpeg

IMG_1276 (resized).jpegIMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
    #2803 64 days ago

I tried a couple of colors on IM and found red (w/orange Titan rubber) was a nice look. FYI.

IMG_2072 (resized).JPGIMG_2072 (resized).JPGIMG_2076 (resized).JPGIMG_2076 (resized).JPG
    #2806 63 days ago

Gold looks good on IM as well. Here's a pic from when I tried them, as well as the straight silver Halos FYI.
    68219432103__35E3F855-6D8E-4C6D-BB98-1CC50A9107F3 (resized).JPG68219432103__35E3F855-6D8E-4C6D-BB98-1CC50A9107F3 (resized).JPGIMG_2670 (resized).JPGIMG_2670 (resized).JPG

1 month later
    #2905 22 days ago

I’m about ready to ship my Stranger Things to John. Just so he’ll get fed up with the Telekinesis lock and work his magic on that troubled mech, too.

#2919 16 days ago

All good suggestions. The most common problem I see is the EOS Pawl has rotated such that it will touch (or brush) one of the bushing hold-down screws. As others have suggested, actuate each flipper by hand and make sure its smooth, nothing binds, and that nothing is touching underneath, especially the EOS pawl.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DiabloRush.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/review-precision-pinball-products-cnc-flipper-system?tu=DiabloRush and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.