Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,964 posts
  • 326 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by mIkea
  • Topic is favorited by 188 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2062 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3125 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3126 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3127 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3129 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3128 (resized).jpeg
    70200477285__4506A207-1186-4D98-9B84-C6E9DFB6AD0C (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1648 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1651 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6936 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6938 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6932 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2794 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2795 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2793 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2792 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1246 Flipper measurements Posted by DiabloRush (1 year ago)

Post #1320 Settings database links. Posted by Ollulanus (1 year ago)

Post #2055 Install procedure on a JJP Guns 'n Roses. Posted by fooflighter (1 year ago)

Post #2099 TECH: ASSEMBLY Fix for flipper that won't clamp Posted by Duster72 (1 year ago)

Post #2541 Flipper removal process Posted by 1956PINHEAD (8 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Anony.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#123 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

As I stated, bushings can't and won't provide"precision"... At least not in the way you describe.
    Also, what's with the down votes?
    A legit, honest review gets a down vote?

Maybe you shouldn't open your reviews with this line if you don't want downvotes "Gonna call bullsh1t on these reviews and on this product."

The OP is obviously pretty bright when it comes to this stuff, to call him bullshit is not what I would call a legit review. He even shows tolerances with proof of his measurements. You also accuse the OP of having a hidden affiliation with the seller, which I have to be honest I suspected at first as well but based on his response that he's a literal expert in this field I think his explanation as to why his answers are so complete should be taken as true.

I will say though that it's lame that the kit doesn't come with the bushings if they are part of what makes the bats so precise.

#184 1 year ago

I'd like to try this on my Iron Maiden upper flipper to see if I can hit the loop more frequently. I think the way the ball comes around the loop so fast may exaggerate any slop in the mechanism and my shot from that flipper always feels so inconsistent. I just assume it's because I suck but I'd like to see if these actually help with that.

#287 1 year ago

I'd like to get these for my Iron Maiden. Do you have to buy them in pairs or do they come in singles? Because Maiden has three normal sized flippers and one short flipper.

Also do they come in the short size? I'd like to do both upper flippers since Maiden has some pretty fast, tight loops using those.

#289 1 year ago

Thanks, pinside marketplace confuses me and I always have trouble finding stuff.

Looks like there is no small flipper at the moment but it's coming. I guess I'll order the set once that is release since shipping to Canada always kills me!

#308 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

That's what you'd do if you wanted to make sure they would not fail in space, an airplane or an ocean going vessel, but it's a little over the top for a pinball mod.

Yeah but it's 2022 and setting these kind of tests up is easier than ever, so if someone really is curious enough to do it I'd watch the video showing the results.

Like this channel, he set up a jig just to test if the commonly held knowledge of not backdragging while filing was superior. With slow motion video and high precision measurement tools this kind of knowledge can finally be validated somewhat easily and I think it's fun when people do it even if it's overkill.

#310 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

So have at it.

Oh I'm definitely not curious enough

I just think it's neat that with home milling machines, 3d printers and arduinos this kind of testing is not that difficult for someone at home.

#314 1 year ago

Does anyone know of a decent video that shows the process for changing flipper bats? I imagine it's not too hard but I've never done it myself so interested in exactly what needs to be done.

#320 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

And take a couple of photos before you start. I just did a flipper rebuild on DP and the thing i had to double check was which end the flare on the sleeve went.

Good to hear they come with good instructions, I've noticed several of the mods I bought came with the smallest, lowest res pictures imaginable.

And yes this is a mistake I made once and will not make again.

I was disassembling a Tee'd Off and started taking really good pictures then I got lazy assuming I could remember how to put it back... then I got sick and didn't touch it for 2 weeks. When I came back I was so stressed out trying to figure out how everything goes together. No excuse not to have tons of high res photos with how phones are these days.

#321 1 year ago

Got my order in... was thinking red or black and decided on red for Iron Maiden.

John suggested that the bushing was not necessary for the mini flipper but I decided to order one anyways just for completeness, and so when I miss that super skill shot I truly have no excuse

#336 1 year ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

Indeed. I will be installing on my AC/DC and will immediately go for the combo record. I remain skeptical that these will make be a better shooter but I will keep an open mind and report back in earnest. And if I happen to break the combo record, all the better.

You're doing it wrong! Just trust that it will work and the placebo effect will take care of the rest

#360 1 year ago

I can't wait to get mine!

I noticed that green sold out first. I'm wondering if it was popular for some reason or if they just made less of them since it's a less popular color? A lot of Godzilla owners out there getting green maybe?

#411 1 year ago

I could see newer players not having as much of a benefit from it. Kind of like giving a new pool player a really good cue, it's not going to really matter since they don't have the technique or skill to even recognize what the difference is. I imagine those with better muscle memory tied to shots could have a better time recognizing the difference and capitalizing on it.

I will report back if they make any difference for me since I'm still really new to pinball as well.

#507 1 year ago

P4F - Precision Pinball Products Pro Flipper

QuickFlips
    Fundamental Flips/Fundamental Flippers

#521 1 year ago

Holy shit I'm dumb, edited out of sheer embarrassment lol. If edit history is visible here have a laugh at my stupidity

#558 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinZig:

Here's a few.
    Hollowgraphic Flippers
    Hollowed be my bats
    Skele-bats/flips
    En'light'ened flippers
    Framed flips

Hollowgraphic is a good one!

#611 1 year ago

Just got mine and wow they look great. I can't believe how fine the knurling on the shafts is! Very impressive stuff. Can't wait to get them installed.

#630 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zambonilli:

First, there's no way these can work better than stock flippers. Early adopters quickly came back with positive results. Next, these will break down fast because metal on metal. John, quickly added to the instructions a $.0001 USD drop of 3 in 1 oil. Now, these are too powerful and aren't "tournament level". Most games have a configurable flipper power level that you can turn down, putting less stress on all the flipper components.
    It's okay to make mistakes, it's how we grow and learn. Why not buy a set, grit your teeth and do whatever mental gymnastics you have to do and give the community a real review after a week? You wouldn't even have to admit you might be wrong or aren't the smartest person in the room. I for one and the community at large, would welcome reviews from people with such vast knowledge and experience. John has also shown that he has acute product development acumen and would appreciate reviews from the harshest of critics so he can improve his products.

I'm interested in why you think they can't possibly be better than stock flippers? If they remove some of the slop, however small, wouldn't that result in a more consistent experience?

I think they look pretty cool too, so even if the difference isn't significant I can see people buying them just for the colors and the metal look.

#692 1 year ago

One down, three to go. It's going a little slow because this is my first time changing flippers and I decided to change the coil sleeves and the whole bushing/linkage setup since I had some spares I hadn't gotten around to installing yet. Now that I've got one done though I see it's pretty simple and should go faster.

Two tips I can give to anyone doing it. you can use one of those little flipper gauges to keep the spacing below the bushing while tightening up the clamp.
    Also the actuator arms are oriented differently for left and right sides. I spent 15 minutes trying to figure out why it wasn't making any sense before realizing I was trying to install a left oriented one on the right side!

PXL_20220901_235949444 (resized).jpgPXL_20220901_235949444 (resized).jpgPXL_20220902_000700941 (resized).jpgPXL_20220902_000700941 (resized).jpg
    #722 1 year ago

I got mine installed but the ball is hopping off of the flipper when it comes down the inlane. Any advice for fixing this? There's not much wiggle room with the inlane guides.

#725 1 year ago
    Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

Which flipper rubber are you using, if it's a tad thicker that might be the issue. Or you can try adjusting in the inlane guide. A couple have reported this and one was thick rubber, the other was the inland guide needing adjustment.

Just using the standard rubber as far as I know. I'll try adjusting the inlanes and see if I can sort it out.

#731 1 year ago

They're definitely snappier and hit harder. On iron maiden I can hit the center target with the right flipper a lot easier now, before it would just barely make it up the ramp. I also had an air ball off the left wireform which is really rare, but that extra speed on the ball made it come off. Definitely need to turn down the power a bit do the glass doesn't take any more abuse.

Going to have to play some more games before I decide if it feels more consistent. I was hoping the loop would be easier to hit consecutively but from the few games I tried, nope, I still suck. Going to need to get over the adjustment period first before that really shows itself though.

#735 1 year ago

I was able to get rid of 90% of the inlane hop by adjusting the inlanes up, it's only a tiny issue when the ball is rolling really slowly. Going to see if I can whip something up on the 3d printer to give a tiny bit more clearance.

And I think I love these flippers. I got 4 million off of my GC record on Iron Maiden in just a few tries once the hop was sorted out. I was hitting both ramps with about 75% accuracy which is huge for me. I haven't been able to get a new high score on Maiden in several months so it felt really great.

Still getting some crazy airballs though, I think I need to turn the power down a bit more and find the sweet spot, but man did it feel good hitting with such accuracy.

EDIT: edited to add some images. definitely need to order a mini flipper in red if I end up ordering for my Metallica machine.

PXL_20220902_211106889 (resized).jpgPXL_20220902_211106889 (resized).jpgPXL_20220902_211110262 (resized).jpgPXL_20220902_211110262 (resized).jpgPXL_20220902_211114429 (resized).jpgPXL_20220902_211114429 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #799 1 year ago

A flat topper would be something I would consider buying. Not that I dislike the look of the screw and holes, it gives them a nice mechanical/machined look, but I think it would look really slick with a clean top where you can't see the screw or holes at all.

#802 1 year ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

There is a trade off. A blank topper would need to be adhered with double sided tape. The same blank with the two holes would be mechanically secure, but the screws would be visible. A third option would be to incorporate some imagery into the blank with holes strategically placed into the image.
    Thoughts?

I was thinking magnetic toppers would stick pretty good and if it has little nubs to fit into the screw holes it would probably stay quite secure.

#805 1 year ago
    Quoted from awesome1:

The flippers are aluminum which is non-magnetic...

Quoted from punkin:

Other than that it would be perfect....
    Fuckin' science.

D'oh, I should have realized that!

1 week later
    #900 1 year ago

Here's how I did it and it seemed to work well. That's a flipper spacer that most pinball shops sell.

65a40976b495b04b45ba3d5cc4a70d19e60a3517 (resized).jpg65a40976b495b04b45ba3d5cc4a70d19e60a3517 (resized).jpg
    #913 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ashram56:

Forgive my ignorance, but what's ghetto ??

In this context ghetto is doing something in a way it was not intended. Like managing with what you have on hand rather than using the correct tools/parts.
    Imagine securing a coil stop with cable ties because the threads are stripped, that would be a ghetto solution. We used to call it jury rigging something, no idea where that phrase came from though.

1 week later
    #955 1 year ago

Another data point to add to the heap.

My friend's girlfriend is a very casual pinball player, only plays when me and him are playing golden tee. For the last year she's been playing a few hours every friday at my house, only broke 200M on Iron Maiden pro once in that time and she typically scores pretty low. A good game for her is usually 75-100M.

I told her about the flippers and expected her to say it felt no different but immediately she said she liked them better because of the added power. She then went on to score over 200M multiple times in the night and broke 100M several times as well. I could tell by her scores they were working because it was completely out of the norm for her to consistently get so many high scores in one night.

1 week later
    #1001 1 year ago

Damn, that's beautiful. You're going to need a second CNC machine!!

4 weeks later
    #1306 1 year ago
    Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

Ollulanus Your obersavtions are correct in that my flipper shafts are slightly larger in diameter. I've found the factory shafts can vary between .246 and .248. My shafts are Centerless Ground to .2485. So yes, both slightly larger and a more polished surface finish as a result of my manufacturing processes.
    If you started collecting some of that info/data that would be helpful for sure. Thanks for offering to do that.

That explains why I had some trouble getting mine through the clamps. I had new clamps for two of the flippers and they went in fairly easy but on the two flippers where I didn't change clamps they had to be hammered in after trying to pry them open a bit. I guess the slight deformation from previously tightening the clamps was enough to make it every so slightly too small.

#1309 1 year ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Don't hammer!! Use a large screwdriver to slightly spread them. Gz was very tight, but simple to fix. Dropped right in rush

I tried spreading them with a screwdriver but still couldn't get it in. It didn't take much with the hammer, just some taps to get it in. I agree you should try all other options before resorting to that though.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Anony.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/review-precision-pinball-products-cnc-flipper-system?tu=Anony and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.