(Topic ID: 318895)

Review – Precision Pinball Products CNC Flipper System

By DiabloRush

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2062 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3125 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3126 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3127 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3129 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3128 (resized).jpeg
    70200477285__4506A207-1186-4D98-9B84-C6E9DFB6AD0C (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1648 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1651 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6936 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6938 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6932 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2794 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2795 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2793 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2792 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,951 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 60.
    #2651 6 months ago
    Quoted from datakyki:

But more of a concern is I also wonder if the spring adjustments & bounce back are going to be significantly different such that swapping flipper types is a bad idea?

Congratulations, Rush is a fantastic machine. I've had Precision Flip on my Rush table for over a year. Rush doesn't have much bounce-back on the flippers. I don't notice any at all, frankly. Only a few titles have a bit of this, mainly those with vertically oriented flipper mechs (like Godzilla). I wouldn't worry about swapping between solids and Halos on Rush. The switch is quck and easy, and your kids probably will love the slightly longer flippers on this table to help.

Either Halos or Solids look great with this title. I did mine in Gold with Purple Titan rubber.

IMG_2649 (resized).JPGIMG_2649 (resized).JPGIMG_2750 (resized).JPGIMG_2750 (resized).JPG
    #2652 6 months ago

datakyki At present I have no plans to manufacture the longer flipper bats in the HALO configuration. As DiabloRush commented I don't think you'll feel that much of a difference between the HALO's and the longer solid top flipper bats due to the flipper mech orientation in the game. What differences between the two types you do feel should be overcome after playing a few games after swaping them out.

Your rational for installing and using them is in line with others who have purchased them. The reason I made them is so that new players (or those who don't play often) can enjoy playing pinball by extending the ball times.

You might also consider going with the Copper HALO's in that game as well, can't go wrong with gold though. I've had a few customers buy the copper's, but unfortunately I don't have any photos of them to post in this reply.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Thanks,
    John

#2653 6 months ago

DiabloRush Thank you for the pictures and the advice. You helped seal my decision. I already have the purple Titan rubber and I decided to go with gold solid bats for both standard and extended to stay consistent. That combo looks fantastic.

1956PINHEAD I also ordered two keyed shaft kits for the main flippers. Not sure if it was entirely necessary but I like that design a lot. I figured the upper flipper just doesn't see the same abuse and unlikely to slip so just got two. Lemme know if you think I'm wrong.

FWIW the kids are actually pretty dang good at the game. It's the wife that I think will enjoy the extended flippers. Not meaning to be sexist in any way, just that the kids got my competitive nature and she's not in the least that way. But she enjoys time with the family so this will definitely help!

Cheers and thanks again for the advice.

#2654 6 months ago

Two edged sword mate, kids will beat her by more.

In any case, it's a cheap and simple way to find out which you prefer.

I have some games that have standard bats up top (alien) and some that have spare solids (Tron) while the bottom are halo's. I don't find much difference in the sometimes flippers.

#2655 6 months ago

datakyki I saw the order come in, thank you. You should be good to go with just the two keyed shaft/clamps for the main flippers. Order will ship tomorrow.

Have Fun!

#2656 6 months ago
    Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

It took me a little longer than I had planned, but the newest edition to the Precision Flipper line-up is now available. All you Foo Fighters owners are going to like this update kit designed specifically for the Upper Playfield.
    The stock factory plastic insert does nothing to stabilize the flipper bat. My replacement insert incoporates an Oilite bronze bushing which stabilizes the flipper making it rock solid and produces accurate and repeatable shots that are smooth as butter. This mod installs in minutes and provides all the same benefits of being able to install and adjust the flipper from above the playfield.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

OMG you may have solved that stupid Jump ramp flipper on No Fear? Has anyone used this on NF yet or is this shaft the same length as that?

Thanks still gotta get around to putting these in my JJP games first

#2657 6 months ago

JohnTTwo What is the length of the flipper shaft for that jump ramp flipper? The shaft made for the Foo Fighters upper playfield is 6-1/4" long.

Once you install a set of these flippers in a JJP game you'll be blown away with how much better the flippers will feel and respond, Game Changer!

#2658 6 months ago

noticed that after maybe some 1000 plays on my Godzilla, have some dings on one of my bats. Hard to capture it in photos but it does make them not look as nice as when first installed. Since I personally never really noticed much of a difference in gameplay (granted I'm a mediocre player), the looks are the only reason for me to really use these, so I probably wouldn't pay to put solid ones on a second machine. I suspect the halos don't take as much of a hit to the aesthetics with this kind of damage.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #2659 6 months ago
    Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

JohnTTwo What is the length of the flipper shaft for that jump ramp flipper? The shaft made for the Foo Fighters upper playfield is 6-1/4" long.
    Once you install a set of these flippers in a JJP game you'll be blown away with how much better the flippers will feel and respond, Game Changer!

6 1/2" long

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/20-10136.1-6

I'll post up in the NF thread.

My wife is digging the ear rings!!!

#2660 6 months ago

Sorokyl Thanks for posting in the review thread here. Yes, not uncommon to get some ball marking due to air balls etc. Because the aluminum isn't as forgiving (in terms of flexing as the plastic bats) it's going to happen. It's a trade off of things so to speak. The HALO's aren't as prone to showing ball marks due to their slim profile. If you want to give the HALO's a try shoot me a PM and we can discuss that further.

JohnTTwo So the 6-1/4" length shaft I make might work, how far below the flipper shaft clamp does the shaft protrude? If it's 1/4" or longer then there a good shot my part will work. Glad your wife is digging the ear rings. I might do them again next year.

#2661 5 months ago

Got my set and installed them yesterday in my Rush Premium. Posting some first impressions and thoughts. For reference I ordered regular size solids and a pair of 1/4" extended bats to put on the main flippers for beginners to make my Rush a bit more fun. It's the only machine I own and it's a bit frustrating for a beginner.

Lots of prior reviews on the product so I'm mostly commenting on how I hoped the extra bats would work out.

As it happened we had a couple guests staying with us, pinball beginners, so it was a great test of that.

First a couple things on installation:

Was pretty easy but I made a silly mistake in what I ordered and for anyone thinking like I was, don't do this. I ordered my 3 flipper set with two keyed link arm kits. After seeing how ridiculously tight the stock link arm clamps were on the stock flipper shafts I immediately realized I was being cheap and stupid not ordering the 3rd keyed shaft/link arm for the upper flipper. No way I want to put that stock thing back in the upper flipper so I'm ordering a 3rd link arm kit before I install it. Live and learn: DON'T BE CHEAP!

Another tip: I wish I had done this too. Order a set of coil sleeves to replace while you have the flippers apart. Mine were fine but it's just a few cents in cost and might as well do it anytime you can. Probably common sense to most experienced pinheads but I'm a noob owner.

1956PINHEAD one tiny issue I had during installation was one of the keyed link arms had a burr or something from the slot cutter inside the shaft hole that made it impossible to get on the shaft. Had to take it back apart and do some minor filing with a tiny round file to clean it up. I machine metal too so I know things like that do happen. Especially with aluminum. No complaint. Just advise to others, test fit the parts BEFORE you get them into the machine.

Overall, install was a breeze and as everyone has said the critical shaft/bushing fit is fantastic. I did not oil mine and put them in dry. I've used this type of bushing in other stuff I've made and in my experience they don't need it and I don't want even the possibility to attract any dust.

Ok, the play:

I put the 1/4" extended bats on since we had guests. They had a MUCH more enjoyable time on the machine. For me however, I think too much. I am really just an intermediate player. Been trying to break a billion before this upgrade. With the 1/4" flippers I scored over 7 billion on my first ball (with 3 extra balls) and got all they way to 2112. Game went so long I just let the last two balls drain. It was fun but I don't want every game to be like that!

To be fair, I have the machine on easy mode for beginners. With these bats and based on this initial experience, it is WAY too easy. No reflection of the product, just a comment on how I thought I'd be able to use the extended bats. As it is, doesn't look like I have a happy medium here. A suggestion to Stern if you're reading: Maybe implement a feature to allow easy vs. hard mode settings per player for HUO? Sure not something you'd want on location or in a tourney etc. but for a family machine I think it's be a welcome feature and doable? Could be local to the machine or even do something like Venom on Insider and have mode settings in the user profile progress to harder as achievement levels are attained (as players get better).

Anyway I digress. I'm going to try playing it on harder settings with the extended bats and see how that goes before I swap back to the standard size bats. I know swapping bats isn't hard but changing settings is even easier. I'll also probably play around with opening the out lanes back up a bit to see what that does.

Oh and I did back off my flipper power. Confirming what has been said, these are definitely more of the power to the ball. I believe what has been said about better repeatability as well. I even noticed the beginners were improving their shot timing more quickly with these installed.

Last thought, would a 1/8" extended bat have worked better for my wants? Maybe. The flipper gap now is so tight on the 1/4" bats that any half decent player can just about eliminate center drain. Giving a 1/4" back might be the goldilocks? I'm sure the extra overhead of yet another bat size would be cost prohibitive for production so I understand if it's not gonna happen. That said, if you did make them, I'd try them out.

I posted some pics so you can see what the extended bats look like installed and ball clearances.

Cheers

IMG_2441 (resized).jpgIMG_2441 (resized).jpgIMG_2443 (resized).jpegIMG_2443 (resized).jpegIMG_2444 (resized).jpegIMG_2444 (resized).jpegIMG_2445  (resized).jpegIMG_2445 (resized).jpeg
    #2662 5 months ago
    Quoted from datakyki:

the only machine I own and it's a bit frustrating for a beginner.

I thought this was a somewhat accessible machine, not sure about the scoring but beginners can come up to it and hit some ramps and get that center magnet etc it's really fun imo! My 8 y.o. was scoring this game a bit even and maybe my 2nd game got to some mini-wiz mode (story of the radio maybe it was?). Great machine!

#2663 5 months ago

datakyki Thanks for taking the time to post your photos and comments. I appreciate your letting me know about the small burr inside the clamp block, I do make it a point to check fit prior to packaging, but I may not have pushed the shaft all the way through the clamp, I've made a note for myself. Thank you. The stock clamps on the Stern games do work OK, but as you stated you do need to crank that clamp screw down very tight as was done at the factory.

When I decided to make the longer flipper bats available it was intended for beginners to help them through the early stages of learning how to play. Many newbies get frustrated leaving them with a 'not so rewarding experience'. I wanted to change that by giving them an opportunity to get past the frustration phase and get longer play time to understand what playing pinball is really all about. It's the journey of progressing through the code. Why the light shows, sounds, music, and visual integration is all a very cool part of the playing experience, the real challenge is 'cracking the code', right! At some point the training wheels come off, and we all hope the newbies are now hooked and enjoy playing such that more become pinball owners/players just like us.

Since each game layout is different, the longer flippers will deliver different results. Take Ghost Busters for example, the flipper gap on that game is larger than most. The majority of the longer flippers I sell get installed on that game, but I've sold them to owners of many different games with the purpose of helping those who want to further develop their flipper skills. There's pro's and con's about using them as some have stated, but in the end it's all about one's personal experiences and what makes the game more enjoyalbe for them. To that end I'm glad I added them to my product line. The good thing is they can be swapped out in just a few minutes.

Will I offer a flipper bat that's 1/8" longer than standard? at some point I might. On the opposite side I already offer a flipper bat that's 1/8" shorter than standard. For those players who want a real challenge throw a set of those on your game. I'm always open to suggestions and exploring new concepts. If I decide to make a test set of 1/8" longer flipper's I'll take you up on that offer to play test'em

#2664 5 months ago

The beauty is that you can easily swap these bat lengths without it being a total PITA.

#2665 5 months ago

What is the color difference between the purple and violet halos? Considering these for my AIQ, so if anyone has any pics with either of these installed I’d love to see them!

#2666 5 months ago

Violet Halos on Wonka. The color is close to fuschia, just a bit less red. The purple is more a true purple. FYI..
    IMG_0126 (resized).JPGIMG_0126 (resized).JPGIMG_0127 (resized).JPGIMG_0127 (resized).JPG

#2667 5 months ago

The Purple is very bright and refective. The Violet isn't as bright and none reflective. Here's a photo of Violet in my Foo Fighters.

Foo Violet Halo Violet bands (resized).jpgFoo Violet Halo Violet bands (resized).jpgPurple Pair (resized).jpgPurple Pair (resized).jpgViolet Halo (resized).jpgViolet Halo (resized).jpgViolet solid (resized).jpgViolet solid (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #2668 5 months ago

Anyone use these on stranger things?

#2669 5 months ago
    Quoted from Deadpool66:

Anyone use these on stranger things?

Yes

PXL_20231106_005015386 (resized).jpgPXL_20231106_005015386 (resized).jpg
    #2670 5 months ago
    IMG_20231005_180908 (resized).jpgIMG_20231005_180908 (resized).jpgIMG_20231014_174822 (resized).jpgIMG_20231014_174822 (resized).jpg
    #2671 5 months ago

Really like those glow flipper rubber with those purple bats, great combo!

1 week later
    #2672 5 months ago

Any plans for a black friday/cyber monday sort of deal? I've had my eye on a set of these for a long time. Literally drooling over them since I played them at expo 22 (was sad to see no presence at expo 23). Might have to finally pull the trigger, but for what game lol

#2673 5 months ago

FYI, if anyone lives in the Southern Indiana/Louisville area and wants to try these out, I've currently got three machines with them on location at Our Lady of Perpetual Hops in New Albany, IN. GZ and LZ premiums with Halos, Cirqus Voltaire with regulars (and lower strength coils, reg coils were WAY too much, lol).

Warning, you might not be able to stomach these games without them after

#2674 5 months ago

@Haymaker, Good timing on your inquiry.

I will in fact be having another black friday Sale this year. It will begin Friday the 24th and run through Monday the 27th. I'll be providing the discount code information on the 24th.

Ollulanus Thanks for posting as well and making sure people know where they can play games out on location that have my flippers installed.

#2675 5 months ago

Installed a set of 3 precision flippers on a JP premium I just acquired. It's an April 21 build so it's got some good use. While going through the playfield and tightening things up, replacing rubbers etc. I noticed the jeep uses what looks like an identical bushing to the stock flipper shaft bushings. It's pretty sloppy on my machine so I'm thinking of replacing it. If I'm right about the size with one of the precision bushings. Before I disassemble it to measure and confirm, wondering if anyone has done this?

1956PINHEAD that jeep takes a pounding with lateral impacts. Any thoughts on how one of your bushings would hold up? Perhaps its no worse than what a flipper does?

IMG_2531 (resized).jpegIMG_2531 (resized).jpeg
    #2676 5 months ago

datakyki I would have to think the bushing would be a direct swap/replacement. Funny thing is I had a JP for a few years and never thought to swap that bushing out, so you might be the first. As for taking the abuse, I'm thinking it would be fine but not sure of the shaft diameter on that shaft, but would think it's close to being .2485 diameter, so it should work.

John

#2677 5 months ago
    Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

datakyki I would have to think the bushing would be a direct swap/replacement. Funny thing is I had a JP for a few years and never thought to swap that bushing out, so you might be the first. As for taking the abuse, I'm thinking it would be fine but not sure of the shaft diameter on that shaft, but would think it's close to being .2485 diameter, so it should work.
    John

Thanks John. Next time I have the playfield up I'll pull that and mic it. Thanks also for providing the spec. I'll update this to let folks know. If it is .2485 I'll order one. Ya my bet also is it is the same as a flipper shaft and bushing. Reusing components cuts manufacturing costs.

#2678 5 months ago

What color are people using on Godzilla?

#2679 5 months ago

@ OTRchief most have ordered Gold. I installed Gold when I first got the game, but switched over to green a few months ago. Of course changing the flipper bats is easy peezy, takes all of about 5 minutes

Flippers N Game Lighted (resized).jpgFlippers N Game Lighted (resized).jpgGZ GRN HALO (resized).jpgGZ GRN HALO (resized).jpgGodzilla Silver Halo (resized).jpgGodzilla Silver Halo (resized).jpgGodzilla grn (resized).jpgGodzilla grn (resized).jpgZilla Gold HALO (resized).jpgZilla Gold HALO (resized).jpg
    #2680 5 months ago
    Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

Haymaker, Good timing on your inquiry.
    I will in fact be having another black friday Sale this year. It will begin Friday the 24th and run through Monday the 27th. I'll be providing the discount code information on the 24th.
    Ollulanus Thanks for posting as well and making sure people know where they can play games out on location that have my flippers installed.

You know, it would be worth putting together a list of locations where ops have these on games and making it a keyed post here you could update as time goes on. Or, DiabloRush maybe just tag it to the end of your first post/review and update as time goes on? Letting people know where to try them, plus giving ops a small reward for/incentive to put them out, seems like a win win for everyone. I know I'm not the only one with them out.

Also, you didn't ever start doing white did ya? Really was hoping for that for Lebowski, and turns out it's another game that could really use them anyway. Right ramp is finicky, and the rug gets less sensitive over time - little extra power would be easier than adjusting the switches more often. Thought about copper, but thinking the blue I already have might be better if White's not an option any time soon.

#2681 5 months ago
    Quoted from datakyki:

It's pretty sloppy on my machine so I'm thinking of replacing it.

Yeah, but why use a $25 part when a $2 part does the job just as well? You wouldn't be gaining anything with a more precise shaft. The jeep is gonna move the limited amount it needs to regardless.

#2682 5 months ago
    Quoted from OTRChief:

PXL_20231116_183931980 (resized).jpgPXL_20231116_183931980 (resized).jpg
    #2683 5 months ago

Ollulanus Good suggestion on compiling a list of location operators, I'll have to carve out some time to compile it. I'm happy to work with game Op's on bulk purchases, I've done that in the past.

I've been receiving more requests as of late for white, so that color may happen. Stay tunned.

#2684 5 months ago
    Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

Ollulanus Good suggestion on compiling a list of location operators, I'll have to carve out some time to compile it. I'm happy to work with game Op's on bulk purchases, I've done that in the past.
    I've been receiving more requests as of late for white, so that color may happen. Stay tunned.

I'll be in for a pair of white at least.

ww2 (resized).jpgww2 (resized).jpg

#2685 5 months ago
    Quoted from OTRChief:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-godzilla-official-owners-club/page/483#post-7748147

I went with the gold Halos and red rubber for the lower and Titan’s light blue for the upper. My first set of Titan reds on the lower flippers started breaking at the tips as some have reported here. I swapped them out for Pinball Life’s new Durabands and will monitor them. So far, so good.

#2686 5 months ago
    Quoted from jedimastermatt:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-godzilla-official-owners-club/page/483#post-7748147
    I went with the gold Halos and red rubber for the lower and Titan’s light blue for the upper. My first set of Titan reds on the lower flippers started breaking at the tips as some have reported here. I swapped them out for Pinball Life’s new Durabands and will monitor them. So far, so good.

How are the durabands wrt bounce? Are they softer than the standard stern rubbers? I’ve also had titan silicone flipper tear at the tips (after only maybe 100-200 games!) very disappointed in titans quality on those.

#2687 5 months ago

@ Chopplebrains I haven't got any experience using durabands otherwise I'd provide some feedback for you. I typically use the factory bands on most of my games.

For those considering purchasing flipper kits here's a quick reminder that I'll be having a black Friday/Cyber Monday sale again this year beginning on the 24th through the 27th. I'll be posting the discount code here on the morning of the 24th.

#2688 5 months ago

I came here to complain about Titan Silicone bands and it looks like you guys beat me to it.

It seems like some colors (Red, Blue, Light Blue) last forever. Some colors (White, Glow, Black) barely last 100 plays.

Both white bands and my third extra band on Venom broke within 200 plays so I switched to translucent last night and the game plays completely differently. It's like I switched to easy mode.

So some colors last much longer than others and it seems like translucent plays differently.

#2689 5 months ago

Duster72 Thanks for commenting and sharing your experiences. I've been thinking about trying to gather information on how the differences between these various compositions of bands effects game play but there are so many machines and variables it's pretty hard to do without going down a rabbit hole. So just posting up and sharing our results is perhaps the best way to share and help others.

#2690 5 months ago
    Quoted from Chopplebrains:

How are the durabands wrt bounce? Are they softer than the standard stern rubbers? I’ve also had titan silicone flipper tear at the tips (after only maybe 100-200 games!) very disappointed in titans quality on those.

So far, they seem to be working well. I haven’t put a bunch of games on them so far; but, dead bouncing and live catches seem the same as what I’ve been use to.

I’ll play some more this week and get a better feel for them.

I’ll also add that I haven’t had any issues with Titans on other games; but, these are the first red ones I’ve used. Maybe there is a difference in colors and their longevity. The only issue I had with any Titan rings were the slings on Tron and that was solved by settling up a size that they made special for the game. The flippers on that (blue and orange) have taken many a warp speed fastball from the disc and haven’t shown any wear. I also have Titans (green) on Banzai Run’s upper flippers and they take a ton of shots to the tips and haven’t had any wear. I’ve broken a bat up there; but, not the rubber.

#2691 5 months ago

For the people talking about troubles with titan rubbers have you made sure to follow the instructions for unloading the tip? It helps ensure a longer life. From their website:

When installing flipper rubber you should always "unload" the tip. This means after the rubber is on the flipper bat, pinch the rubber and push it towards the tip of the flipper bat to slack the tip of the rubber as much as possible. Stretch it towards the tip until you see a visible gap between the tip of the flipper bat and the rubber. It will also help to rotate all of the rings once a month or so depending on the playing time.
    The same method can be applied to slingshot rubber as well. I pre-stretch a little bit, then put the rubber on the sling posts and then pull 2 different sides at a time, repeatedly. The object would be to make the tension across the three posts as even as possible. Also, check the post groove for sharp corners. Star posts and metal posts can have sharp edges to the grooves that cut the “skin” of the silicone ring, and then they fail.

I haven't had much issues with any of the Titan's I've ever used. Then again it seems I tend to use the "durable" colors. I just loaded my family guy up with white titan's and their new translucent blue flipper and sling rubbers. We'll see how they do.

#2692 5 months ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

For the people talking about troubles with titan rubbers have you made sure to follow the instructions for unloading the tip? It helps ensure a longer life. From their website:

I can tell you from long term testing - they just don't hold up well especially when combined with the Precision Flippers. Some games are especially hungry combinations (Deadpool for instance was eating a set nearly every 2 weeks). But same flippers, same game example, with regular rubber, lasting much longer.

The titans are great for looks, but if you get a lot of play or have a game on location, their extra cost just becomes a burden. I've gone back to just stocking red and black rubber by the dozens instead of chewing through $5 of titan rubber in a game in just 2-3 weeks.

The titans noticeable thin out/stretch around the tip over time.. deformation that never recovers once it happens. Sure you could rotate weekly or whatever to try to minimize it, but you're facing a loosing fight. They also tend to form a pinch/groove wear at the tips that is just a timebomb.. so rotating is futile once that forms.

On most games I find the titans durability 'ok' in the sense that the desire for the looks and easy wiping made them acceptable to use vs their negatives. But Halos + titan + certain games = titan bloodbath.

#2693 5 months ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

I can tell you from long term testing - they just don't hold up well especially when combined with the Precision Flippers. Some games are especially hungry combinations (Deadpool for instance was eating a set nearly every 2 weeks). But same flippers, same game example, with regular rubber, lasting much longer.
    The titans are great for looks, but if you get a lot of play or have a game on location, their extra cost just becomes a burden. I've gone back to just stocking red and black rubber by the dozens instead of chewing through $5 of titan rubber in a game in just 2-3 weeks.
    The titans noticeable thin out/stretch around the tip over time.. deformation that never recovers once it happens. Sure you could rotate weekly or whatever to try to minimize it, but you're facing a loosing fight. They also tend to form a pinch/groove wear at the tips that is just a timebomb.. so rotating is futile once that forms.
    On most games I find the titans durability 'ok' in the sense that the desire for the looks and easy wiping made them acceptable to use vs their negatives. But Halos + titan + certain games = titan bloodbath.

Good to know, any experience with urethane IE Superbands?

#2694 5 months ago

I have precision flips on all our games and use only perfect play rubber. No issues , with 500 + plays. Last titan rubber I ordered was blue and it turned whitish when stretched and broke within a few weeks here. Flipper and sling rubber.

#2695 5 months ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Good to know, any experience with urethane IE Superbands?

Not in years. Once we experienced how much they changed game play we never used them again (Superbands). At the time they were very durable, but the amount of 'bite' they have with the ball was just unacceptable and made game play way too easy.

Titans when they came out were a happy compromise... You got the looks, the easy wiping, and reasonably similar play to rubber. On standard flipper bats they aren't as vulnerable... but the Halos are just slightly narrower at the tip and this seems to exaggerate the liability of the titans. I've not had the time to swap halos and solids on the same game to test flipper rubber.. but across different games the titans+solids were lasting longer than the titans+halos.

My recommendation to people is if you are just doing home stuff... pick the style you want. Unless you are hardcore your negatives will be manageable and you'll favor the looks and play over a few dollars a quarter in rubber.

Just don't think of these things as 'forever' or necessarily 'more durable'. In location play, we've found we chew through silicon bands faster than their cost warrants.. and while the precision bushings might last longer than the nylon, they don't last 12x longer.. but cost 12x more. We've broken the metal bushings, shafts, halo flippers, and countless rubber. And that's all within 1yr of use. All those discoveries and feedback have been fed back to the designer and he's made iterative changes to the product to improve them along the way.

Challenge right now IMO is simply the OEM parts are just far more affordable to treat as consumables then it is to invest in the higher tolerance parts when you are dealing in any kind of volume.

#2696 5 months ago

Good discussion, thank you all for the input.

Wrt Titans, I have a box of a few different colors and will try red (previous ones that broke were glow in the dark). I didn’t assume color would have any impact, but perhaps it does. I did follow the guidance on unloading the tip in the ones that broke. Hopefully better luck with the next few for me! If not, I’ll move to the super bands or something next. I’ve been happy with other things from Titan pinball, was just surprised that flipper rubber (silicone) broke so quickly.

#2697 5 months ago

The GITD rubber is the worst with precisions...I really like the way they look on GZ and RAM though, especially if you throw some UV strips on the apron, so I just order a bunch and change as needed. Black seems to hold up well, and red is somewhere in the middle. Stay away from the low bounce - those go fast, and actually seem to make bounce worse on precisions.

Super bands will last virtually forever and look great, but yeah, they grip the ball more and make control somewhat easier. Though, my one complaint about precisions is the stiffness tends to make ball control more difficult, so I actually think they work pretty well with super bands. I hadn't really tried them until putting games on location recently, new I didn't want to burn through titans, nor did I want to clean up after rubber.

If you try them though, be ready to prestretch the hell out of them though. Took a fair amount of swearing to get them on.

#2698 5 months ago

I switched to super bands on my halo bats. As stated, they hold up way better than titans.

#2699 5 months ago

I unloaded the tips on all my Titans with precision flippers and they still blew out at the tip. I'm trying superbands now because a) I'm not swapping out rubber every two weeks and b) we're not great players so the 'grip' of superbands is actually a nice feature.

#2700 5 months ago

Played 2 games on GZ last night with the Durabands. First game was meh. The second game resulted in me doubling up my previous high score and netted 1.3 billion. I haven’t noticed an changed attributes from the rubber swap from Titans as I was able to perform all the skills I usually do; but, instead of having just one “good” ball - they all were great.

The only question now is durability at the tips. So far, I haven’t seen any changes.

There are 2,951 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 60.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/review-precision-pinball-products-cnc-flipper-system/page/54?hl=1956pinhead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.