Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,967 posts
  • 326 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by mIkea
  • Topic is favorited by 188 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2062 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3125 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3126 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3127 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3129 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3128 (resized).jpeg
    70200477285__4506A207-1186-4D98-9B84-C6E9DFB6AD0C (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1648 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1651 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6936 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6938 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6932 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2794 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2795 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2793 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2792 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,967 posts in this topic. You are on page 49 of 60.
    #2401 11 months ago
    Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

So I tried to get some additional photos with all the current color offerings.

Still calling this a hobby? Lol. Awesome.

#2402 11 months ago
    Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

I'm considering bringing four new colors into the product line on the next production run. Colors are Bronze/Copper, Violet, Ruby Red/Pink, and Aqua/Teal Blue. Thoughts please?
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Love the violet and the teal!! I think either would look dope on tmnt. Would you make them solid too or just the halos?

#2403 11 months ago

Once I decide on which of these new colors I'll bring into the line up I'll be doing both the solid and HALO's. So everyone's input is apprectiated!

#2404 11 months ago
    Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

Once I decide on which of these new colors I'll bring into the line up I'll be doing both the solid and HALO's. So everyone's input is apprectiated!

Are you making it up to the PNW show nx month?

#2405 11 months ago

Hayfarmer not going to be able to make that show this year, perhaps next year.

#2406 11 months ago
    Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

So I tried to get some additional photos with all the current color offerings. The new proposed colors are: Foo LE Green, Ruby Red/Pink, Copper/Bronze, Light Blue/Teal, and Violet. Very hard to capture good photos with my phone, may try again with my real camera later. The light Blue/Teal is just a shade lighter than my current blue.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Yeah, I'd definitely do the orange/bronze since there's nothing quite like it. I dig the pinkish and lighter blue, but would probably stay away from doing really close-together-colors except in limited runs like foo green. If you have similar shades one will be more popular, and you'll wind up sitting on inventory for the other. Think you're better off focusing on adding new colors like orange, white, yellow, etc.

Speaking of which, is that current red color more crimson than it was originally, or is that just the lighting? Dig either way.

#2407 11 months ago
    Quoted from GCS2000:

1956PINHEAD
    Changed out my bats from halos to solid last night on my MBRLE. I also decided to check on how snug everything was after my initial install a couple of weeks ago. Couple of issues I need some clarification on please.
    First both flippers were very loose now. Both the clamp bolt as well as the bolt/nut combo attaching to the plastic coil arm were quite loose. I decided to tighten them both as much as I could - like really tight (FYI I am using your new clamp set up on this game)
    RT flipper tightened up fine and appears to work as it should.
    LT flipper I cannot tighten the clamp bolt nearly as much as I did on the RT. If I tighten it too much the arm will not move freely in and out of the coil and thus the flipper will not "return" to a resting position after it flips. It stops about half way. I can move it back to resting manually of course but it will not go back on its own. Only way to get it to go properly work is to loosen the clamp bolt til it moves freely.
    Second issue (same LT flipper) when playing and hitting the ball with the LT flipper it seems to take off i.e. airball off the flipper immediately as if the the flipper is flipping up when it goes instead of parallel to the playfield. This does not occur with the RT flipper at all.
    I am on -10 for flipper power at this point and already feel like that it may be a hair low. If I go lower I cannot hit the ramp shots w/o hitting things perfectly.
    I do not see a way to change each flipper individually.
    LMK your thoughts.
    Thanks
    Greg

I had this exact same thing happen today on the left flipper on a Spooky using the keyed shafts. I took it back apart and figured out what was happening. The EOS activator/spring bracket piece has some play in it and can actually get wedged up tight against the bushing when tightening it down. This only happens on the left flipper because the tightening of the clamp pushes the bracket towards the bushing - whereas tightening the right flipper pushes it away because the orientation is reversed.

It's easy to prevent once you realize what's happening. Here's a couple of pics showing the play:

IMG_1062 (resized).jpegIMG_1062 (resized).jpeg

IMG_1063 (resized).jpegIMG_1063 (resized).jpeg

#2408 11 months ago

Damonator Thanks for posting that. Yup you are spot on, the releif in the sheet metal is very slim and doesn't allow for much clearance.

#2409 11 months ago

Looks like I have flipper creep after just a few games. Guessing this means I didn’t get the clamp tight enough on the new shafts. Not sure how that could be as I cranked down in them a lot as in I can’t tighten any further.

IMG_6654 (resized).jpegIMG_6654 (resized).jpeg
    #2410 11 months ago

Could be the top bolt and it's spinning on the spline. Seems funny to be going forward if it's slipping the clamp, usually goes backwards.

#2411 11 months ago

So the screw holding the bat on isn’t tight enough then ?

#2412 11 months ago
    Quoted from GCS2000:

Looks like I have flipper creep after just a few games. Guessing this means I didn’t get the clamp tight enough on the new shafts. Not sure how that could be as I cranked down in them a lot as in I can’t tighten any further. [quoted image]

First question - did you oil the shaft?

I ask because I also had this issue on a non-keyed Stern shaft because my drop of oil on the shaft made its way to the clamp. I had to remove and clean the lower shaft and clamp with alcohol - once I did that it was perfect.

#2413 11 months ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

First question - did you oil the shaft?
    I ask because I also had this issue on a non-keyed Stern shaft because my drop of oil on the shaft made its way to the clamp. I had to remove and clean the lower shaft and clamp with alcohol - once I did that it was perfect.

Actually I did not use oil.

I did simple test. I took a sharpie and marked a line across the clamp and shaft of each flipper. I also cranked down on the shaft screw again (still not moving) and the flipper bat screw as well. Played several games and rechecked under the hood.

The shaft/clamp are not moving the line was still the same all the way across. It has to be that I am not getting the flipper bat screw tight enough.

I will try tightening those again and play a few more.

#2414 11 months ago
    Quoted from GCS2000:

Actually I did not use oil.
    I did simple test. I took a sharpie and marked a line across the clamp and shaft of each flipper. I also cranked down on the shaft screw again (still not moving) and the flipper bat screw as well. Played several games and rechecked under the hood.
    The shaft/clamp are not moving the line was still the same all the way across. It has to be that I am not getting the flipper bat screw tight enough.
    I will try tightening those again and play a few more.

When I put the flippers on, use the short end of the Allen wrench, and hold the flipper in place with the other hand. Haven't had one move on 7 games since my first set on slipped, as yours are.

#2415 11 months ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

When I put the flippers on, use the short end of the Allen wrench, and hold the flipper in place with the other hand. Haven't had one move on 7 games since my first set on slipped, as yours are.

This is my second game - first was MBR and I didn't have any slippage on that one at all.

I will tighten up things again and see what happens.

I will say that in just a few games with these on GZ I think they make a much bigger difference on this game than it has on MBR.

Still need to find the proper power as well - I think I am down 25 on lower flips and 15 on the upper. Upper feels almost spot on. Lowers I think are still too much. Game is 6.9 and level L/R.

#2416 11 months ago

(Also posted in Godzilla group...)

I started to notice that fast returning balls hitting the lower flippers would push the flippers down with the buttons pushed and sure enough, both EOS brackets were broken off.

I took the opportunity to change the allen socket head clamping screws out for hex head style to more easily tighten them tight enough. (I don't have the newer keyed shaft setup).

About ~3000 games played total. Luckily I have Precision Flip Halo flippers (~1,000 games played each with with Solids and then Halos), so re-aligning them wasn't that difficult, but did have to reset flipper shaft gap since you have to remove the entire clamping screw to replace the EOS bracket.

IMG_4006 (resized).JPGIMG_4006 (resized).JPGIMG_4008 (resized).JPGIMG_4008 (resized).JPG
    #2417 11 months ago
    Quoted from GCS2000:

This is my second game - first was MBR and I didn't have any slippage on that one at all.
    I will tighten up things again and see what happens.
    I will say that in just a few games with these on GZ I think they make a much bigger difference on this game than it has on MBR.
    Still need to find the proper power as well - I think I am down 25 on lower flips and 15 on the upper. Upper feels almost spot on. Lowers I think are still too much. Game is 6.9 and level L/R.

Take the rod and clamp apart, wipe down with isopropyl, reassemble. Even if you don't use oil (I stopped fooling with it, trust John's machining), there's often some residue from manufacturing or oils from your hands. I've taken to giving everything a good wipe down before install. Also, with the stern clamp design I think sometimes loosening and re-tightening does the trick as the clamp can come together and grip slightly differently each time. I've had some luck just starting over when I get one that wants to slip. I've installed/reinstalled about a dozen of these now.

#2418 11 months ago

Thanks to all who have posted in assisting GCS2000. From the looks of his flipper angle, and since they are both moving upward, I'm 99.9% sure the shafts are moving in the clamps, it's not a flipper bat to shaft issue, that interface is pretty secure even with the screws partially tight due to the splines on the shafts.

The shaft doesn't have to rotate very much in the clamp to change the angle, so marking a line on the shaft/clamp is a good idea for reference, but I still think they the shaft are moving in the clamps. I recommend removing the screws from the clamps, clean the shaft's and clamps IPA and a Q-Tip. Put a very small drop of light oil on the end of the threads of the clamp screw, yup that's right, the clamp screw. The reason for this is to allow the screws to be torqued down tightly without thread gawling/friction, it allows the screws to do their job to pull the opposite side of the clamp inward and pinch the shaft and not give a false impression the screws are really tight. The friction between the threads in the clamp and screws will be reduced, this will help a lot in feeling the screws tightening and reduce the metal to metal friction while torquing the screws.

@GCS200, if needed feel free to give me a call as well.
    John

#2419 11 months ago

Thanks for the comments everyone. I went back and tightened everything up. Clamp bolt flipper bat screw etc and after about a dozen or more games everything seems to be holding.

The clamp bolts felt like they didn’t budge at all but they must have done something since things seem to be ok right now. I have a feeling that I didn’t get the flipper bat screws tight enough as I was able to simply lift the bat off with no effort at all vs needing the removal tool so I cranked on them pretty hard this time. All done while holding things in place also so we will see how it goes

And I know I said this already but the impact of the flipper change feels much greater on this GZ premium than it did/does on my MBRLE. Everything just feels tighter and the flips seem effortless. Might be that things were tired on GZ to begin with as mine has over 1300 games on it.

#2420 11 months ago

I rebuilt the flippers on DP after about 4000 games. Didn't feel like it needed it, but maintenance.

I doubt you would have noticed anything after 1300 games, but i'd always replace coil stops on new Sterns as a matter of course when they come in the house.

#2421 11 months ago

Regarding flipper stops on the new Sterns: look for gold dust in the cabinet area under the flippers. If you see any, you need to replace the stops. They come loose, generate the gold dust, and eventually fail. In between, they get loose which degrades flipper performance.

#2422 11 months ago
    Quoted from DiabloRush:

Regarding flipper stops on the new Sterns: look for gold dust in the cabinet area under the flippers. If you see any, you need to replace the stops. They come loose, generate the gold dust, and eventually fail. In between, they get loose which degrades flipper performance.

I assume you mean coil stops or are you speaking about the EOS stops?

Coil stops in my game were all replaced before I bought it 3 weeks ago.

#2423 11 months ago

GCS2000 Sounds like you got it sorted out, if you were able to remove the flipper bats without the puller then you might not have had them tight enough.

When I put these flippers on my Godzilla it was night and day, I had to turn down the coil power about 15 clicks from default, you will most likely need to do the same. Just keep lowering the power until it start to feel sluggish or lazy, then turn back up one or two clicks/numbers at a time until you find the sweet spot. Each machine is going to be a bit different, so just take your time, you'll be happy with the results!

#2424 11 months ago
    Quoted from GCS2000:

I assume you mean coil stops or are you speaking about the EOS stops?
    Coil stops in my game were all replaced before I bought it 3 weeks ago.

Coil stops mate. Stern ones are shit. There are cheap and easy to replace, but seeing as yours are done you won't need to bother. Unless the owner used Stern ones to put back in of course.

#2425 11 months ago
    Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

GCS2000 Sounds like you got it sorted out, if you were able to remove the flipper bats without the puller then you might not have had them tight enough.
    When I put these flippers on my Godzilla it was night and day, I had to turn down the coil power about 15 clicks from default, you will most likely need to do the same. Just keep lowering the power until it start to feel sluggish or lazy, then turn back up one or two clicks/numbers at a time until you find the sweet spot. Each machine is going to be a bit different, so just take your time, you'll be happy with the results!

Yep already down about 15 on upper flipper and at least 20 on both lower flippers (a little more on the left lower). Feeling pretty good about the power settings at this point. Still fiddling with the alignment on the upper flipper. I think I have it too low, but I am not missing shots so maybe not.

Thanks

#2426 11 months ago

I would really like a set of bronze solid bats for my Pharaoh. I would need a mini bat for it as well. Will any mini's be available in Bronze?

#2427 11 months ago

A reddit user reports that some Halographics in an on-location Foo Fighters broke:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pinball/comments/13by3kw/broken_foo_fighters_pinball_fliper/

705uyuia3nya1.jpg705uyuia3nya1.jpg
    #2428 11 months ago
    Quoted from null:

A reddit user reports that some Halographics in an on-location Foo Fighters broke:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/pinball/comments/13by3kw/broken_foo_fighters_pinball_fliper/
    [quoted image]

Surprising! I'm sure John will take care of them quickly.

#2429 11 months ago
    Quoted from null:

[quoted image]

It's just a flesh wound

#2430 11 months ago

Jackaltr Yes, I'll be doing the Bronze/Copper for both the solids and HALO's, as well as the mini's too. Should be coming on the next production run in about 4 weeks.

#2431 11 months ago
    Quoted from mostater:

It's just a flesh wound

...I've had worse...!

#2432 11 months ago
    Quoted from null:

[quoted image]

I haven't kept up on the development of this product but I've been curious about the halo's. Are they just an aesthetic thing or does the reduced material lighten them and cause them to perform better? I'm kind surprised to see one structurally fail like this.

#2433 11 months ago

I've had a few of the HALO's break in the past couple weeks, replacements are being sent at no cost. My investigation into the cause showed that a small number of flippers appears to have shifted during the machining process. An update is being made in my tooling on the next production run to prevent this from reocurring.

While I strive to deliver perfection in the products I make unfortunately stuff can and does happen at times, this is one of those occasions. I appreciate the support, suggestions, comments, and recommendations everyone has given me over the past 11 months while this product has continued to evolve. This is but one more step in the direction of it's evolution and continued refinement.

Thanks,
    John

#2434 11 months ago

SiN13 In answer to your question the HALO's do perform differently, that's by design due to their being a little lighter, and because of their dissipation of energy. The solid flippers are very rigid so in turn they react with more authority and deliver more energy to the ball. They were designed using modern day CAD techniques to optomize the design and material properties.

#2435 11 months ago

Update for anyone with a DP. I am currently at 235 on the power and it seems to be about right. Still amazed at some of the shots I am able to hit at times.

#2436 11 months ago

Scooby Doo was a bit of a challenge because of the bookcase flipper. I have other games to convert, but I wanted to do the hardest one first!

IMG_1087 (resized).jpegIMG_1087 (resized).jpegIMG_1088 (resized).jpegIMG_1088 (resized).jpegIMG_1084 (resized).jpegIMG_1084 (resized).jpegIMG_1058 (resized).jpegIMG_1058 (resized).jpeg

#2438 11 months ago

Come on fuchsia bats!

#2439 11 months ago

Here's an update for everyone on the additional colors. I'll be adding the Violet, Ruby Red, Bronze/Copper, and Gray to the line up. I'm in the middle of my next production run and will start anodizing batches of HALO's and Standard flippers near the end of this month. I'll let everyone know when they are available.

#2440 11 months ago

Just FYI: I had a long game of Hobbit this week end (Halo installed), and I did get some flipper fade toward the end of the game. Power setting are slightly down to accomodate for the higher transmission power of the Halos, but seems it's not sufficient to prevent heating.

Oh well, I was hoping to avoid putting fansink on the coils, looks like I have to do it after all.

#2441 11 months ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Are you making it up to the PNW show nx month?

Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

Hayfarmer not going to be able to make that show this year, perhaps next year.

I will be bringing my R&M to the NWPAS again this year but this time with freshly installed halos. Plenty of people will get a chance to experience the improved game play.

#2442 11 months ago
    Quoted from Ashram56:

Just FYI: I had a long game of Hobbit this week end (Halo installed), and I did get some flipper fade toward the end of the game. Power setting are slightly down to accomodate for the higher transmission power of the Halos, but seems it's not sufficient to prevent heating.
    Oh well, I was hoping to avoid putting fansink on the coils, looks like I have to do it after all.

Speaking of fan heatsinks on the coils.... 1956PINHEAD how is your testing going with your coil heatsinks? Are you almost ready to release them into the wild? I'm still very interested in them after seeing them at TPF and talking about them with you.

#2443 11 months ago

Also posted in GZ forum...
    Hey all - I recently installed Precision Halos on my GZ and AIQ - love the looks and the feels. On GZ though, both left flippers are now way weak - upper flipper now rarely hits the loop and the lower flipper only hits the ramp 25% of the time. AIQ - all good though. Any suggestions on what could be the issues? I replaced coil stops and sleeves on all - looked at EOS and seems good - spacing seems good with playfield/flipper bat.... No tech alerts - Coil tests work - Node Board tests ok... What else could it be? Thanks

#2444 11 months ago

greenmonk Good to see you pop in here, been a while. I'm still making a few tweaks and testing, but getting closer. I'll update again when I'm closer.

heynonny From a mechanical aspect the only thing that would degrade the flipper performance is wear on the components. If you've manually actuated the flippers by hand and they move smooth and freely with no sloppy feel or binding then it must be something else. Not really sure what else I can add other than it might be bad coils? What happens when you increase the flipper coil power on those two flippers, have you tried that to see what happens?

#2445 11 months ago

Thanks John - Maxed both top and bottom flippers and same power - maybe the bottom one a little more but barely - just had a game where three times in a row it went half way up the ramp and back down.... everything seems smooth mechanically. Seems to be a bit random as AIQ is all good and has the same setup.

Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

greenmonk Good to see you pop in here, been a while. I'm still making a few tweaks and testing, but getting closer. I'll update again when I'm closer.
    heynonny From a mechanical aspect the only thing that would degrade the flipper performance is wear on the components. If you've manually actuated the flippers by hand and they move smooth and freely with no sloppy feel or binding then it must be something else. Not really sure what else I can add other than it might be bad coils? What happens when you increase the flipper coil power on those two flippers, have you tried that to see what happens?

#2446 11 months ago
    Quoted from heynonny:

Thanks John - Maxed both top and bottom flippers and same power - maybe the bottom one a little more but barely - just had a game where three times in a row it went half way up the ramp and back down.... everything seems smooth mechanically. Seems to be a bit random as AIQ is all good and has the same setup.

Also check your EOS switches in switch test mode. They should activate just a hair before full flipper extension. If they are activating too early, you will lose power.

#2447 11 months ago

Recently installed some gold solid bats and replacement bushings on my Rush LE (look amazing), and noticed the flipper strength boost instantly.

I did notice a very slight dead bounce difference which took some getting used to a I dead bounce a lot. The bounce is a little less, which I expected, and to be honest it’s not as bad as I thought it would be. Are the Halo’s more or less bouncy? From 1956PINHEAD comments, they may be less bouncy?

IMG_6873 (resized).jpegIMG_6873 (resized).jpeg
    #2448 11 months ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Are the Halo’s more or less bouncy?

More flex=more bouncy
    I'm going with halos in copper
    That may be your next order

#2449 11 months ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Recently installed some gold solid bats and replacement bushings on my Rush LE (look amazing), and noticed the flipper strength boost instantly.
    I did notice a very slight dead bounce difference which took some getting used to a I dead bounce a lot. The bounce is a little less, which I expected, and to be honest it’s not as bad as I thought it would be. Are the Halo’s more or less bouncy? From 1956PINHEAD comments, they may be less bouncy? [quoted image]

Maybe it's my imagination, but I think there is a slightly bigger bounce with the Halos than a stock flipper (using standard Titan rubbers).

#2450 11 months ago

The HALO's do seem to have a very slight more amount of rebound at comparative ball speeds. I also think the game layout has a bit to do with this also, I get more bounce off of them on my Foo Fighters, it's a faster playing game so that's logical I suspect.

Here's an update on the availability for the new colors, looking like end of this month or first week of June I'll have them available. I'm on the home stretch of my current production run of both Solid's and HALO's so they'll all be going out for anodizing at the same time.

There are 2,967 posts in this topic. You are on page 49 of 60.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/review-precision-pinball-products-cnc-flipper-system/page/49 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.