Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,967 posts
  • 326 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by mIkea
  • Topic is favorited by 188 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2062 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3125 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3126 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3127 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3129 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3128 (resized).jpeg
    70200477285__4506A207-1186-4D98-9B84-C6E9DFB6AD0C (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1648 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1651 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6936 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6938 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6932 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2794 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2795 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2793 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2792 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,967 posts in this topic. You are on page 45 of 60.
    #2201 1 year ago
    Quoted from Vespula:

CNC made Stainless Steel flipper fan mounts?

They're RC car type heatsink/fan combos. I rejected going with that type of mount over 3 years ago, but I know some people DIY with them, still. I just don't think it's a good idea.

#2202 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

microwave them for like 4 or 5 seconds. That was always my trick. Worked great. no water needed.

Ya, I went 10 seconds, got pretty crispy .

#2203 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

They're RC car type heatsink/fan combos. I rejected going with that type of mount over 3 years ago, but I know some people DIY with them, still. I just don't think it's a good idea.

Care to elaborate? Maybe in a different thread though

#2204 1 year ago
    Quoted from GCS2000:

Does Precision offer a flip coil cooling system as well?

A58A466C-879C-46C9-89B3-C17A24B5A8D4 (resized).pngA58A466C-879C-46C9-89B3-C17A24B5A8D4 (resized).png
    #2205 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinball_ric:

Care to elaborate? Maybe in a different thread though

Nope. I'm fine with helping DIYers, and I gave some advice about these when I initially rejected them years ago. But detailing the why nots when someone decides to commercialize it as a competitor? Not interested.

#2206 1 year ago
    Quoted from SlapDrain:

Just installed a set of blue halos on my America’s Most Haunted. Im very pleased with them. AMH uses the B/W kit for anyone looking to make the switch.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Such an underrated game.

#2207 1 year ago

I like the idea of the body of the cooler wrapping around the coil and distributing more air to the blind side opposite the fan. But touching the coil itself is not a solution I would pursue, even if using some kind of insulator between them.

I'd be looking to drop some support legs over the back of the coil and use the coil stops to mount them.It would increase the costs but would make a far better product.

Flame on !!

#2208 1 year ago

John will you be at MGC by chance? I'd love to meet you in person. At the very least I hope to try some of these out again, as they were the highlight of Expo for me. Not sure if I'll be able to resist buying a set this time though!

#2209 1 year ago
    Quoted from ian866:

I like the idea of the body of the cooler wrapping around the coil and distributing more air to the blind side opposite the fan. But touching the coil itself is not a solution I would pursue, even if using some kind of insulator between them.
    I'd be looking to drop some support legs over the back of the coil and use the coil stops to mount them.It would increase the costs but would make a far better product.
    Flame on !!

I don't think the wrapping will distribute air at all, there's no air transfer between the heatsink fin and the inside of the body. This type of heatsink is designed for a complete assembly between the part to be cooled and the heatsink, to maximize heat transfer (which happens through the metal). I'd be curious to know John finding with those

#2210 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ashram56:

I don't think the wrapping will distribute air at all, there's no air transfer between the heatsink fin and the inside of the body. This type of heatsink is designed for a complete assembly between the part to be cooled and the heatsink, to maximize heat transfer (which happens through the metal). I'd be curious to know John finding with those

John and i discussed this over the weekend - there are two cooling ducts at the base of the heat sink to allow air flow.

#2211 1 year ago

John and I have been discussing heat transfer from the coils for over half a year. The proof is in the testing. John has been using some advanced instruments in his testing and design, and I'm sure John will eventually publish these results. I think the community will be impressed with the performance of John's design. The data shows this, quite clearly.

#2212 1 year ago

I know John is on the road all day returning from TPF. I’ll just say that John has spent quite a bit of time refining his coil cooling solution. And the data is definitive. John’s design results in lower coil temperatures than all the alternatives examined. He’s been using a proper FLIR thermal camera system to map the temperature and refine his design. I’ll bet John shares some of his thermal camera images when he gets back, now that he’s publicly revealed this whole system.

#2213 1 year ago

I had a pretty good idea that it will be superior to other designs out there, only because i get the kind of guy John is. He wouldn't release something just because it would make money, it would have to be a substantial improvement over what is out there, like the flipper system.

If DiabloRush says so, that's enough confirmation too.

#2214 1 year ago

I wanna see the thermal camera images just because they sound freakin awesome.

You know I'm probably gonna to lower the tone by making some predator jokes though right.

#2215 1 year ago
    Quoted from stumblor:

You know I'm probably gonna to lower the tone by making some predator jokes though right.

oh yeah !! thermal camera imaging, now there's an idea. Nothing like technical measurements (oscilloscope shots, thermal data) to get engineers excited

OK OK, got carried away

#2216 1 year ago

If they're cheaper then the fan solution then might be onto something. But the fan solution works.
    Passive cooling will be quieter so there's that .... Not that the fans are loud, but you can notice them if you're listening for them in attract mode.

Looking forward to the reveal. But I already own pinmonks fans And they work, So unfortunately I'm out.

#2217 1 year ago

Planning to give these a go on my MBRLE. Other than turning down flipper power does anyone have any other advice for installing on this game?

Also does anyone have input on what the flipper power settings should be on MBR?

TIA

#2218 1 year ago

Newest additions on Jurassic Park Pro. Happy so far. Well done John.

4F9A8FBF-6112-4585-AE76-F82ED33F4CDD (resized).jpeg4F9A8FBF-6112-4585-AE76-F82ED33F4CDD (resized).jpeg60537622-7082-4766-BF73-0A2581E34FBA (resized).jpeg60537622-7082-4766-BF73-0A2581E34FBA (resized).jpegF19852CC-71AE-493E-ADE2-7F1807C2E428 (resized).jpegF19852CC-71AE-493E-ADE2-7F1807C2E428 (resized).jpeg
    #2219 1 year ago
    Quoted from GCS2000:

Planning to give these a go on my MBRLE. Other than turning down flipper power does anyone have any other advice for installing on this game?
    Also does anyone have input on what the flipper power settings should be on MBR?
    TIA

They are pretty straightforward. I just turn down the power no other tweaks. Down 10-15 with regular and 5-10 with halos.

#2220 1 year ago

Just when I thought this game couldn’t get any more awesome. Only one game left to upgrade.

6165C9EE-7280-49D8-B3A9-AAF429A0C742 (resized).jpeg6165C9EE-7280-49D8-B3A9-AAF429A0C742 (resized).jpeg
    #2221 1 year ago
    Quoted from Andy777:

They are pretty straightforward. I just turn down the power no other tweaks. Down 10-15 with regular and 5-10 with halos.

Thanks do you know if I need the keyed clamps or just the regular kit?

#2222 1 year ago
    Quoted from GCS2000:

Thanks do you know if I need the keyed clamps or just the regular kit?

I’m no expert on that subject but I believe the only games where those are a must is JJP, others it’s just a convenience.

#2223 1 year ago
    Quoted from stumblor:

If I'm not mistaken, he had a printout that he did of the thermal images. He had like 3 images side-by-side to show the differences. I'm surprised he didn't show that to you.

#2224 1 year ago

Any plans to make lightning flippers?

With the ease of changing flippers, it would be fun to add these and make games more challenging.

#2225 1 year ago

Have a set of standards on my LOTR and like how they play.
    Decided to go with Halos on my BoP restore. Looking forward to more info on the new cooling fans.

4BB8CF9F-A458-49E7-9FD4-586E75211B6F (resized).jpeg4BB8CF9F-A458-49E7-9FD4-586E75211B6F (resized).jpeg
    #2226 1 year ago
    Quoted from Andy777:

I’m no expert on that subject but I believe the only games where those are a must is JJP, others it’s just a convenience.

Circling around on this as I heard back from John. He said they are not necessary but he does recommend them as removes all chances of slippage.

Naturally I am not in front of my game but does anyone know if I need 1 Left and 1 Right EOS bracket version of the clamp (seems normal to me) or 2 of the same for an MBRLE?

Doing purple regulars as I am not sure I like the halos.

TIA

#2227 1 year ago

Hi everyone returned home from the show late last night, I tell ya that's a long drive, good to be back! Posting one of the thermal imagining photos I captured a couple months ago of a bare coil inside my AIQ. This particular photo was taken at the 2 hour mark of continious play, left coil. Temp shows 42.6 c (or 108.6 F). Note: there is NO paper wrap on the coil, while it's only paper it does act like a mini thermal blanket, and it does need to be removed when attaching the heat sink. Flipper configuration: my flipper system of course!

Shapeshifter I do have the lightning flipper bats in stock (silver only).

AIQ Coil_1 (resized).jpgAIQ Coil_1 (resized).jpg

#2228 1 year ago

punkin This photo is just for you. I really enjoyed playing their games, and they are great guys just as you said.

Haggis booth (resized).jpgHaggis booth (resized).jpg

#2229 1 year ago
    Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

Hi everyone returned home from the show late last night, I tell ya that's a long drive, good to be back! Posting one of the thermal imagining photos I captured a couple months ago of a bare coil inside my AIQ. This particular photo was taken at the 2 hour mark of continious play, left coil. Temp shows 42.6 c (or 108.6 F). Note: there is NO paper wrap on the coil, while it's only paper it does act like a mini thermal blanket, and it does need to be removed when attaching the heat sink. Flipper configuration: my flipper system of course!
    Shapeshifter I do have the lightning flipper bats in stock (silver only).
    [quoted image]

Guessing they are the 1/8th shorter ones?

#2230 1 year ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Guessing they are the 1/8th shorter ones?

Yes, but in silver only.
    Thanks!

#2231 1 year ago

Cheers John.

Did they have a go of your game? Or take some flippers?

#2232 1 year ago

punkin They stopped by the booth and took a good look at the system, I think they liked it. They didn't flip my game though, the line was long to test drive it

#2233 1 year ago
    Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

punkin They stopped by the booth and took a good look at the system, I think they liked it. They didn't flip my game though, the line was long to test drive it

Good one. They played the precisions on my Tron last September at Pinfest Newcastle anyway.

#2234 1 year ago

Here's a couple more photos. First photo showing the coil with just my heatsink attached @ final peak temp 37.4 c (99.3 F). Second photo with heatsink and forced cooling option @ final peak temp 25.6 c (78 F).

Extended play testing conducted at TPF yielded the exact same results as my earlier testing, zero fade. I still have more testing to do but did want to share some of the data for those who are interested.

Part of this testing confirms what I had concluded back when I first tested my flipper system. The combination of the mechancial efficiencies coupled with the reduction of coil power just makes the coils a lot happier in the games there installed in, not just from one manufacturer but all of them, that's the simplified way of stating it. The consistency in flipper performance from first game to last in both feel, accuracy, and power over long durations of play with just the passive approach gets it done.

I had a two step plan when I hatched the idea for my flipper system, the passive cooling side was part two of that plan. I'd like to think at this stage I'm close to completing that second objective.

AIQ Coil with heat sink (resized).jpgAIQ Coil with heat sink (resized).jpgAIQ Coil with heat sink fan (resized).jpgAIQ Coil with heat sink fan (resized).jpg

#2235 1 year ago

Check your post mate, there's a conversion error with a repeated number.

#2236 1 year ago

GCS2000 You should have a left and right mech for the main flippers. Lift the playfield and take a look at all the mechs to confirm which it is

#2237 1 year ago

Haymaker Not sure if I'm going to make it to MGC yet. I will say it was great to meet everyone at the TPF show last weekend, that was the best part about going to the show for sure. If I can pull it off I'll be there!

#2238 1 year ago
    Quoted from GCS2000:

Circling around on this as I heard back from John. He said they are not necessary but he does recommend them as removes all chances of slippage.
    Naturally I am not in front of my game but does anyone know if I need 1 Left and 1 Right EOS bracket version of the clamp (seems normal to me) or 2 of the same for an MBRLE?
    Doing purple regulars as I am not sure I like the halos.
    TIA

Go with the halos. I just switched from the regular to the halos and the change is noticeable. The feel is great and the control is incredible.

#2239 1 year ago

Halos have much more control and catch better than the solids. No doubt.

#2240 1 year ago

I can confirm that they really do help keep the coil temperature down. I stuck around until about 11pm on Saturday night at TPF and after someone finished their game on AIQ, John opened it up to show me the coil temperatures. Both coils (with the heatsink/fans) were 87F at 11pm on day 2 of TPF with AIQ going non-stop during the festival. It was very impressive.

#2241 1 year ago

Dropped Silver Halos into my Tron tonight. Loving these.

#2242 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Jumping into this conversation late. I think if these are direct contact heatsinks that are touching one side with cooling fans blowing on that heatsinked side it's possible that there would be a temperature delta across the coil. Not sure if this would help or hurt flipper fade or maybe cause binding on the plunger or other issues? Just thinking out loud. If this has already been tested working or considered then disregard my comment. My games don't get enough play for me to see a degradation in flipper performance.

#2243 1 year ago

Personally, I think the whole flipper-fade problem is highly over-blown.

For example, during the recent TPF Wizards tourney, the machines were being played non-stop for many hours and no one was complaining about flipper fade.
    These were some of the best players in the world, playing at the highest level of competition and it was a non-issue.

The only time that I may have experienced flipper fade was on my MBr at the end of a 3 billion point game (and I'm still not sure if it was the flippers fading or if it was me fading).

Supposedly the Stern machines are worse than others, but no one seemed to be complaining about it on GZ or FOO during the tourney.

#2244 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

For example, during the recent TPF Wizards tourney, the machines were being played non-stop for many hours and no one was complaining about flipper fade.
    These were some of the best players in the world, playing at the highest level of competition and it was a non-issue.
    The only time that I may have experienced flipper fade was on my MBr at the end of a 3 billion point game (and I'm still not sure if it was the flippers fading or if it was me fading).
    Supposedly the Stern machines are worse than others, but no one seemed to be complaining about it on GZ or FOO during the tourney.

It's definitely variable. Only game I've easily noticed it in was with AIQ. 30 minutes in and ball starts having issues up a ramp. An easy shot to boot. If there's at least like a 5 minute break between games it really didn't happen, the fade. It was just when it was game after game non stop. I say that because not sure how tourneys are handled. If there's a small pause between players (score handling/etc), even a couple of minutes, I can see fade being less of an issue. Probably a bigger problem at home when a game is not given a single break.

#2245 1 year ago

Well, there is a pause between players but it's about 20-30 seconds to record the score, not minutes. And there's typically a queue of 3-5 players waiting for their turn at the game.

I'm not saying it is never an issue, I just think it's a lot smaller of a problem than some people make it out to be.

#2246 1 year ago

And soon those people will have a couple of options to alleviate it from their thoughts.

#2247 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

Some games you can definitely notice it on. AIQ is a good example. If you play long games or many back to back games over long periods of time, the flippers will fade. My single longest game of pinball is on AIQ at just over 90 minutes.

I actually have a DIY flipper coil fan thread here on Pinside, but am eager to see John's new product.

#2248 1 year ago
    Quoted from awesome1:

Some games you can definitely notice it on. AIQ is a good example. If you play long games or many back to back games over long periods of time, the flippers will fade. My single longest game of pinball is on AIQ at just over 90 minutes.
    I actually have a DIY flipper coil fan thread here on Pinside, but am eager to see John's new product.

I agree that some games are more noticeable. I have it on GZ. Getting the ball up the right ramp becomes harder and harder as the game goes on. Putting in Precsion halos and bushings has helped a lot just by the increased power. So I'm not sure I'm putting fans in that game. However, I have put cooling fans into JJP GNR (thanks Pinmonk) and have never noticed an issue since. That is one multi-ball heavy game so I felt the need there. Black halos look great in that game and I may go that route as well.

BTW, if any mod deserved a twipy, it most definitely was precision flippers and halos, specifically.

#2249 1 year ago

Same for GNR. Fans are great. Needed for this title.
    Just bought a set from pinmonk for my Rush so I can play a lot of games in a row for longer without fade.

#2250 1 year ago

Ooops...snapped the longer, removal screw. What size screw is this... #6 1.5"??

PXL_20230401_220923813 (resized).jpgPXL_20230401_220923813 (resized).jpg
    There are 2,967 posts in this topic. You are on page 45 of 60.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/review-precision-pinball-products-cnc-flipper-system/page/45?hl=diablorush and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.