Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,945 posts
  • 325 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by kyinwa
  • Topic is favorited by 188 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3125 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3126 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3127 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3129 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3128 (resized).jpeg
    70200477285__4506A207-1186-4D98-9B84-C6E9DFB6AD0C (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1648 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1651 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6936 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6938 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6932 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2794 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2795 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2793 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2792 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0938 (resized).jpeg (©  Of my)

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,945 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 59.
    #1701 1 year ago
    Quoted from Enchantress:

Truly at this point they shouldn't be considered mods, they should be standard issue on all pins. What an F'n difference they really make.

I firmly beleive that a lisencing deal with the main pinball manufacturers on this system is needed..... royalties in perpetuity.

BTW voting for Twipys opens on Jan 1.... pre voting is closed. So go out and vote!!

#1702 1 year ago
    Quoted from DavidCPA:

Yes, please come to Golden State. I need to see these in person. Look great.

There's a very easy and quick way to see them in person.

#1703 1 year ago
    Quoted from Baggerman:

I firmly beleive that a lisencing deal with the main pinball manufacturers on this system is needed..... royalties in perpetuity.

Having worked with John over the last 6 months as he’s developed this system, it’s my observation that it would be a significant investment for an OEM manufacturer to tool-up to produce this system. John has access to some very speciality tooling and CNC equipment that isn’t cheap. The number of operations involved in making these is actually quite complex. There’s a reason prior efforts at making an adjustable metal flipper system were failures.

I’ve said several times in this thread that John’s design and expertise really is quite special. He’s an extraordinary engineer with a multi-decade background in solving (and selling) some very elegant engineering designs to the hobby market. He and his father produced RC Helicopter kits in the 70s and early 80s when such things were almost impossibly complex and equally difficult to fly. He was the 1974 AMA National RC Helicopter champion, btw, too. He built and flew RC Helicopters for several blockbuster Hollywood movies including The Towering Inferno and Blue Thunder (in which a helicopter does a loop for the first time on film).

Anyway, please excuse the diversion. Making Precision Flip is not easy, and some of the tooling is probably cost-prohibitive for an OEM manufacturer. It’s more likely one of these OEMs will just contract John to produced the parts for some of their high-end offerings. IMHO.

#1704 1 year ago
    Quoted from DavidCPA:

Yes, please come to Golden State. I need to see these in person. Look great.

Get to the central valley and Play some alien with me

#1705 1 year ago
    Quoted from DiabloRush:

Having worked with John over the last 6 months as he’s developed this system, it’s my observation that it would be a significant investment for an OEM manufacturer to tool-up to produce this system. John has access to some very speciality tooling and CNC equipment that isn’t cheap. The number of operations involved in making these is actually quite complex. There’s a reason prior efforts at making an adjustable metal flipper system were failures.
    I’ve said several times in this thread that John’s design and expertise really is quite special. He’s an extraordinary engineer with a multi-decade background in solving (and selling) some very complex engineering designs to the hobby market. He and his father produced RC Helicopter kits in the 70s and early 80s when such things were almost impossibly complex and equally difficult to fly. He was the 1974 AMA National RC Helicopter champion, btw, too. He built and flew RC Helicopters for several blockbuster Hollywood movies including The Towering Inferno and Blue Thunder (in which a helicopter does a loop for the first time on film).
    Anyway, please excuse the diversion. Making Precision Flip is not easy, and some of the tooling is probably cost-prohibitive for an OEM manufacturer. It’s more likely one of these OEMs will just contract John to produced the parts for some of their high-end offerings. IMHO.

He certainly is a talented engineer for sure, these things are money!! I beleive that Twipy is in order as these are for any pin and once you have them installed, it is a no brainer to have these as standard option. Whatever the path forward is with the big manufacturers, i have no idea, but these need to be standard items on all NIB machines.. I beleive it.

#1706 1 year ago

Hopefully there never comes a point of less expensive outsourced imported knock offs! So paying for the upgrade after the fact knowing where the product is coming from PRICELESS!

#1707 1 year ago

duplicate

#1708 1 year ago

Waiting so patiently for those Purple and Green Halos.

#1709 1 year ago

Voted good luck John!

#1710 1 year ago

Voted, almost too easy since every other mod competing is single game specific. They will get votes by owners that have purchased, but that will be a small subset of the enthusiast community. Your mod is universal and should get many more votes since it applies to nearly all machines made in the last 30 years.

You've done a good thing here John...

#1711 1 year ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

Voted, almost too easy since every other mod competing is single game specific. They will get votes by owners that have purchased, but that will be a small subset of the enthusiast community. Your mod is universal and should get many more votes since it applies to nearly all machines made in the last 30 years.
    You've done a good thing here John...

Buggered if i can find the mod section on their website.

#1712 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Buggered if i can find the mod section on their website.

Yes, it's a tough site. It's on the SECOND page....

#1713 1 year ago

Too hard for me anyway. Can't see any page numbers and the only nominations i find listed are all for full games.

Anyway, thanks for all your help. Guess i'll just have to pass on the voting.

#1714 1 year ago

If anyone else is having as much trouble finding it as i was, that's because it's in a drop down menu at the top that has the heading 'Previous winners' for some fucking reason.

https://twipys.com/2022-twipy-awards

#1715 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

If anyone else is having as much trouble finding it as i was, that's because it's in a drop down menu at the top that has the heading 'Previous winners' for some fucking reason.
    https://twipys.com/2022-twipy-awards

Home page has "vote now" button in the center.

#1716 1 year ago

Voted, but its in the bag, no other serious contenders

#1717 1 year ago

Hi Everyone, Happy New Years !

I Just spent a few minutes getting caught up on reading the posts from the past couple days. I must say I'm very humbled at the kind words and comments everyone has made. I really cannot stress enough how appreciative I am that you 'Took the Chance' and purchased my mod.

In reflecting back on it's release I knew I would be faced with a pretty steep up hill climb to overcome what might be an onslaught of spekticism, I believe that's normal given the world we live in today. The other challenge I knew I'd face and the bigger mountain yet to conquer is overcoming the stigma of 'that's how it's been done for years and if it ain't broke don't fix it' mentality. However, I believed that once enough players had actually installed the system and played them for themselves that would at some point begin the process of overcoming that stigma, that they would come to appreciate and embrace how it improved game play. That's just the way it is and will be until enough players such as yourselves have made the change.

No doubt my dream come true moment would be for one of the manufacturers to adopt this system and include it as part of their build in one of their product lines. My dad had a saying I'll never forget, "If you snooze you Lose", who's going to be the first one to adopt it and take advantage of what it has to offer? What I do know for certain at this stage based on the number of PM's I've received over the past several months is that for some games this system significantly improves how those games play, that is REAL.

I know I've said it before but I'm going to say it again, I really owe all of you a sincere THANK YOU for supporting me and this product. I wish I could meet each and everyone one of you and hang out and play some pinball and share a beer. Since I'm planning on doing a couple shows this year I'm hoping to perhaps get that opportunity to meet some of you, the Beer's will be on me!

At this point I'd be remiss if I failed to put a Big Shout Out to DiabloRush and a special THANK YOU for starting this forum thread. In our many discussions early on I tagged him as 'My Wingman', he's a very humble guy himself, but I think deep down inside he kinda liked that I tagged him with that call sign. To you Sir I am grateful for your assistance in helping me with my ongoing play testing, feedback, and in general your High Altitude perspectives which have help me navigate through the fine tuning of this product over the past several months. BTW, you better reserve those green HALO's you wanted before the first run get snapped up!

Lastly, my store will be back open on the 3rd to accept orders. It might be a few days before those new orders get shipped as I get back up to speed after the holidays. Also, some colors will still remain as 'Out Of Stock' for a few days until they have been processed and completed by my anodize vendor. Thanks to those who have cast their votes for Mod of the year, or plan to do so whether in person or by mail in

#1718 1 year ago
    Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

Hi Everyone, Happy New Years !
    I Just spent a few minutes getting caught up on reading the posts from the past couple days. I must say I'm very humbled at the kind words and comments everyone has made. I really cannot stress enough how appreciative I am that you 'Took the Chance' and purchased my mod.
    In reflecting back on it's release I knew I would be faced with a pretty steep up hill climb to overcome what might be an onslaught of spekticism, I believe that's normal given the world we live in today. The other challenge I knew I'd face and the bigger mountian yet to conquer is overcoming the stigma of 'that's how it's been done for years and if it ain't broke don't fix it' mentality. However, I believed that once enough players had actually installed the system and played them for themselves that would at some point begin the process of overcoming that stigma, that they would come to appreciate and embrace how it improved game play. That's just the way it is and will be until enough players such as yourselves have made the change.
    No doubt my dream come true moment would be for one of the manufacturers to adopt this system and include it as part of their build in one of their product lines. My dad had a saying I'll never forget, "If you snooze you Lose", who's going to be the first one to adopt it and take advantage of what it has to offer? What I do know for certain at this stage based on the number of PM's I've received over the past several months is that for some games this system significantly improves how those games play, that is REAL.
    I know I've said it before but I'm going to say it again, I really owe all of you a sincere THANK YOU for supporting me and this product. I wish I could meet each and everyone one of you and hang out and play some pinball and share a beer. Since I'm planning on doing a couple shows this year I'm hoping to perhaps get that opportunity to meet some of you, the Beer's will be on me!
    At this point I'd be remiss if I failed to put a Big Shout Out to DiabloRush and a special THANK YOU for starting this forum thread. In our many discussions early on I tagged him as 'My Wingman', he's a very humble guy himself, but I think deep down inside he kinda liked that I tagged him with that call sign. To you Sir I am grateful for your assistance in helping me with my ongoing play testing, feedback, and in general your High Altitude perspectives which have help me navigate through the fine tuning of this product over the past several months. BTW, you better reserve those green HALO's you wanted before the first run get snapped up!
    Lastly, my store will be back open on the 3rd to accept orders. It might be a few days before those new orders get shipped as I get back up to speed after the holidays. Also, some colors will still remain as 'Out Of Stock' for a few days until they have been processed and completed by my anodize vendor. Thanks to those who have cast their votes for Mod of the year, or plan to do so whether in person or by mail in

Looking forward to reassembling the two games at home to play again. I had just installed the precision flippers a couple of weeks prior to getting extra busy with newborn and havent played anything since. Cant wait for your shop to be back online too! Get to finish setting up the mini flipper for IMDN (at the time the color versions were not available so held out). Such a great addition to any game.

#1719 1 year ago

Nice job John!!! This is incredibly well deserved.

#1720 1 year ago

I have clamps in my cart. Could not play Rick and Morty over break because the stock clamps are garbage. Put in new clamps and they only held for a week.

#1721 1 year ago

Has anyone put these on a Ultraman or Halloween? The upper two flippers look complicated to get to. have been on the fence for a while and I should have jumped on that last sale.

#1722 1 year ago
    Quoted from RikeIsland:

Has anyone put these on a Ultraman or Halloween? The upper two flippers look complicated to get to. have been in the fence for a while and I should have jumped on that last sale.

I have been thinking about these for my UM BSE for a few weeks. Ever since I put them on the Rick and Morty. So far, the conclusions I have come to are as follows:

The upper flippers are not worth switching to Precisions (IMHO) because they don't have NEARLY the same force on them, they are so short. Just doesn't seem worth the effort.

The lower flippers would certainly benefit from the added power and precision this upgrade provides. As it stands to get to the upper PF from the right flipper I have to hit it PERFECTLY to the side of the ramp the diverter is currently pointing and that is frustrating. However the lowers have Ultraman logos on them and I personally would like to keep those. So, I think the lowers would HAVE to be the solid precision flippers and then would have to sort out a way to transfer the topper thing.

I am planning to upgrade the lower flippers only in a few months after I have gotten some actual wear on the original flippers and bushing. Only like 250 games in so far.

#1723 1 year ago

Installing these now and i stripped the clamping screw that you use to adjust the flippers from below. Anyone know what screw that is exactly so I can replace? Can i get it at home depot or would it be a special marco type item?

Side note and sorry if this is mentioned. Are these flippers supposed to sit Higher off playfield than standard sterns? Theres definetly more space between the playfield and the flipper when using the replacement bushing.

#1724 1 year ago

ok its 10-32 i believe. Going to try and get at home depot before ordering somewhere

#1725 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbrave77:

ok its 10-32 i believe. Going to try and get at home depot before ordering somewhere

After installing these flippers in my Rick and Morty I had the exact same thing happen. The factory stock clamps are one time use at best, at least the NyLock nut and bolt are.

You are right on the threads, 10-32. made sure you get the adonized black ones at 1 and 1/4 inch length. Also, don't forget to pick up some NyLock nuts in the same thread. I also bought a ratcheting wrench and an extra long Hex key. Now I have a little drawer full of these bolts and nuts for future upgrades to my other games.

I was able to find them no problem at Ace Hardware, Home Depot should have them though. Good luck!

#1726 1 year ago
    Quoted from Var1AbL3:

After installing these flippers in my Rick and Morty I had the exact same thing happen. The factory stock clamps are one time use at best, at least the NyLock nut and bolt are.
    You are right on the threads, 10-32. made sure you get the adonized black ones at 1 and 1/4 inch length. Also, don't forget to pick up some NyLock nuts in the same thread. I also bought a ratcheting wrench and an extra long Hex key. Now I have a little drawer full of these bolts and nuts for future upgrades to my other games.
    I was able to find them no problem at Ace Hardware, Home Depot should have them though. Good luck!

Yea nothing at Hd or lowes. They dont have the black ones with the deep hex hole

#1727 1 year ago

Sliver halos and super bands on luci looks so right!

20230102_180005 (resized).jpg20230102_180005 (resized).jpg20230102_180014 (resized).jpg20230102_180014 (resized).jpg20230102_180028 (resized).jpg20230102_180028 (resized).jpg
    #1728 1 year ago

Voted, good luck John.

#1729 1 year ago

I also voted... I voted you for first and second place... I did give a 3rd place vote to NinjaCamp for their Rush scoop protector

#1731 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbrave77:

Yea nothing at Hd or lowes. They dont have the black ones with the deep hex hole

Ace Hardware sells stuff like that, I got an alloy replacement for one I stripped. Always good to get a few since the trip to Ace is usually about as much in gas as the fastener hardware costs.

#1732 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbrave77:

These are the ones I got at HD that were basically direct replacements.

screw (resized).jpgscrew (resized).jpg

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-10-32-x-3-4-in-Hex-Socket-Head-Stainless-Steel-Socket-Cap-Screw-2-Pack-805278/204274328

#1733 1 year ago

mbrave77 The flipper bats will appear to look as if they are floating way above the playfield, that is mainly due to the shape of the lower region of the flipper bat in that all the extra material below the rubber has been removed as it wasn't necessary. The original plastic flipper bats must have all that extra material below the rubber to help stabilize the plastic, even then they still flex like crazy, my bats don't flex.

As a side note for those who may not be aware whom are dealing with the Bally Williams style clamping system on these newer games you can always opt for using my new keyed shaft/clamp system, that will 100% eliminate having to deal with those clamps forever.

Thanks to all who have voted, really appreciate it!

Keyed Shaft Clamp Combo (resized).jpgKeyed Shaft Clamp Combo (resized).jpgStock clamp Vs new clamp W EOS Brkt (resized).jpgStock clamp Vs new clamp W EOS Brkt (resized).jpg
    #1734 1 year ago

The keyed shaft/clamp is a must-have in my opinion. Huge upgrade to the system.

#1735 1 year ago

Apologies if this has been discussed. How difficult of a mod would these be on a modern Stern Prem? Im new to pinball but pretty mechanically/tech savvy.

#1736 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gubbin:

Apologies if this has been discussed. How difficult of a mod would these be on a modern Stern Prem? Im new to pinball but pretty mechanically/tech savvy.

Super easy

#1737 1 year ago

Barely an inconvenience.

#1738 1 year ago

Anyone put these on a CCr yet? Just ordered a set of gold. Love them on my AFMr.

#1739 1 year ago

Takes me about 5m a flipper at this point on a stern. If you haven't, replace the coil stops while you're at it. Stern's are garbage. That gold dust in the bottom of your cab? Coil stops trying to die.

#1740 1 year ago

GreenMachine19 Have you been over on the CC owners club forum, I'm pretty sure there are photo's over there of some installations you could take a look at. Here's a photo of some HALO's installed on one.

cactus canyon (resized).jpgcactus canyon (resized).jpg
    #1741 1 year ago
    Quoted from GreenMachine19:

Anyone put these on a CCr yet? Just ordered a set of gold. Love them on my AFMr.

Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

GreenMachine19 Have you been over on the CC owners club forum, I'm pretty sure there are photo's over there of some installations you could take a look at. Here's a photo of some HALO's installed on one.
    [quoted image]

That's my CCr in the picture.

The halos look great but I didn't like how they played and pulled them off after two weeks and put the stock plastic flippers back in but kept the upgraded bushings in place. I love how it shoots with this combo. I ended up selling the flippers since I don't have another machine with easily adjustable flipper power to try them out on to see if they are a better fit but I'll soon be ordering another set of bushings to put on my WW because they seem to make a huge difference.

Don't let my experience discourage you from trying them on your CCr. Maybe you'll like how they play better than I did.

#1742 1 year ago
    Quoted from GreenMachine19:

I have the silver solid bats installed on my CCr with some photos way back on page 6. They're still going strong.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/review-precision-pinball-products-cnc-flipper-system/page/6#post-7055502

#1743 1 year ago
    Quoted from MadEwokHerd:

I have the silver solid bats installed on my CCr with some photos way back on page 6. They're still going strong.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/review-precision-pinball-products-cnc-flipper-system/page/6#post-7055502

Damn those silver bats look really nice.

#1744 1 year ago

Hey folks, I'm did my R&M and love these. I had to lower the flipper power a bit.

I'm thinking of adding to my Metallica...any experience with MET? Does the flipper power need to be adjusted? If so, how? IIRC, Stern allows all the coils to be adjusted...nothing specific to the flippers. Am I right or wrong? If wrong, please advise Thanks!

#1745 1 year ago

Still waiting patiently on the Purple and Green Halos.

Any ETA for when these will hit the Shop? Really want to throw these in a couple/few machines.

#1746 1 year ago

Who did install the precision flippers on SAM machines, where I think the flipper coil strength is not separately adjustable? Are they too strong, especially with the metal bushings?

#1747 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zora:

Who did install the precision flippers on SAM machines, where I think the flipper coil strength is not separately adjustable? Are they too strong, especially with the metal bushings?

I've got halo's on the bottom flippers and solid upper on Tron.

The machine plays just fine with the standard coils. It's the sling power i'd like to lower, kicker pops through the rubber and so does the ball occasionally.

If you are worried about breaking things, just go for a lower power coil. Easy as to do it while you are changing out the flippers. The other way to do it is to try it first, and if you think it's too powerful, then replace the coils.

tron18 (resized).jpgtron18 (resized).jpg

Excuse the spit on the glass, i get excited.

#1748 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

I've got halo's on the bottom flippers and solid upper on Tron.
    The machine plays just fine with the standard coils. It's the sling power i'd like to lower, kicker pops through the rubber and so does the ball occasionally.
    If you are worried about breaking things, just go for a lower power coil. Easy as to do it while you are changing out the flippers. The other way to do it is to try it first, and if you think it's too powerful, then replace the coils.
    [quoted image]
    Excuse the spit on the glass, i get excited.

Thank you for your feedback. I plan to replace the flippers in my Startrek. My fear is indeed that the precisions are too powerful and then you start adjusting everything else, overall coil power and/or the coils itself. Just thinking of a proper balance between advantage of the precisions (look and better physical details) and work for adjusting the whole machine.

#1749 1 year ago

You are welcome. As i said, my Tron is still stock and i don't really notice much difference in power.

#1750 1 year ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

Hey folks, I'm did my R&M and love these. I had to lower the flipper power a bit.
    I'm thinking of adding to my Metallica...any experience with MET? Does the flipper power need to be adjusted? If so, how? IIRC, Stern allows all the coils to be adjusted...nothing specific to the flippers. Am I right or wrong? If wrong, please advise Thanks!

Silver halos, purple bands are beautiful on met. No way to lower flipper power, but I have not seen a need to.

There are 2,945 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 59.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/review-precision-pinball-products-cnc-flipper-system/page/35 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.