(Topic ID: 165120)

Review - Ghostbusters LE #67 (code 1.05)

By jar155

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Bing_Party
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

341 plays in, I decided that it was time to finally go ahead and hammer out my review for Ghostbusters LE. I didn't want to pull the trigger too early and let hype fuel me, so I made sure to have at least 300 plays on the game before putting my opinions out there. The review comes in two flavors, a quick and summarized video review and a much more in-depth written review. Below is the video review, the written review can be found here: http://www.thepinballpodcast.com/2016/07/27/review-ghostbusters-le-latest-update-code-1-05/

YouTube:

tl;dr: While no game is perfect, and Ghostbusters doesn't come out being the first game to claim perfection, it's an amazing game and it still has room to grow and evolve. The sound, the art, the layout, and the code all combine for one of the best games Stern has put out in the modern era. While some of the game's quirks may raise hackles on some players, I feel like most will get that "one more game" feeling and enjoy the sense of urgency the game provides.

#2 7 years ago

Thanks Jar
Looks.great !

#3 7 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to write the review and the video very well done.

#4 7 years ago

Great review, thanks! concerning though that you had so many issues out of the box and that the build quality is cheap at best. I'd love to get a premium but all the reports on quality make me question that

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

Great review, thanks! concerning though that you had so many issues out of the box and that the build quality is cheap at best. I'd love to get a premium but all the reports on quality make me question that

I wouldn't worry too much. It's my first Spike game, and other Spike games seem to be holding up just fine over time. I was just a bit shocked at the cost-saving efforts that have gone into effect since my last NIB game (AC/DC Premium). I honestly think that my game was accidentally skipped on the final inspection, because there's no way it would have passed QC. Cosmetically, it's flawless, so at least the small issues I had (which were many), could be easily addressed with some time and effort.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I didn't want to pull the trigger too early and let hype fuel me

So you didn't actually buy the game before you put 300 plays on it?

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

So you didn't actually buy the game before you put 300 plays on it?

I had at least 150 plays on a pro and probably a good 30 on a premium before I paid up my LE order in full. I knew fairly well what I was getting into.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I had at least 150 plays on a pro and probably a good 30 on a premium before I paid up my LE order in full. I knew fairly well what I was getting into.

Sounds like you are truly one that doesn't buy into hype alone. Pinside could use more members like that. Glad you are happy with your purchase.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Sounds like you are truly one that doesn't buy into hype alone. Pinside could use more members like that. Glad you are happy with your purchase.

Well, to be fair, I'm a Ghostbusters superfan and probably would have stubbornly bought it and tried to force myself to like it. I would have been heartbroken if it sucked though and wouldn't have had a problem admitting it. I'm still upset that The Avengers sucks so bad.

#10 7 years ago

I'm still waiting for them to do a theme I can get really excited about, but there's not much out there for the over 50 crowd, and it doesn't look like they will be targeting us anytime soon.

But congrats! And glad it met your expectations.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm still waiting for them to do a theme I can get really excited about, but there's not much out there for the over 50 crowd, and it doesn't look like they will be targeting us anytime soon.

But, you forget the Can-Crusher.......maybe that was their attempt at us over 50? lol

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I think it would be something pretty fun to see them do a generic space theme, but like the 60's vision of the future in space or maybe a non-licensed fantasy theme, but I just can't see Stern doing anything but licensed content (save for special projects like WNBJM) going forward.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

But, you forget the Can-Crusher.......maybe that was their attempt at us over 50? lol

Great idea and looks cool, but just a reskin of Whoa Nellie. They know where to get their money, but underestimate the buying power of the demographics they won't cater to. If you guys occasionally see me rant, it is only because of this.

#14 7 years ago

Despite the theme, Odin, I think youll really enjoy playing the game!

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Despite the theme, Odin, I think youll really enjoy playing the game!

I will be playing it as one of my younger friends has one coming. But I aint old....

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I will be playing it as one of my younger friends has one coming. But I aint old....

Old isn't a number, it's a feeling, man.

#17 7 years ago

Loved the review. How would you compare GB LE to Hobbit? Considering both at the moment. Thanks!

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Ripley:

Loved the review. How would you compare GB LE to Hobbit? Considering both at the moment. Thanks!

Well, I don't think The Hobbit is a bad game, but it's yet to grab hold of me. I think the deep code is great, but I haven't been sold on the layout as of yet. I'm still waiting for things to click for me there. As of now, I lean heavily towards GB, but they're very different experiences. If you're considering both, given how different the two games are, I would really try to give both of them a few plays before deciding. You may really find that one speaks to you a lot more than the other.

#19 7 years ago

Don't bother responding to Ripley. It's another Kaneda account, and this was another typical troll post of his.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I don't think a Polident themed pinball would sell all that well...

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

I don't think a Polident themed pinball would sell all that well...

No polygrip for me! Once you get past that stage in your life where you think you might want to relive the past, you may find you would rather not and see what's happening now instead. Or maybe not...

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

No polygrip for me! Once you get past that stage in your life where you think you might want to relive the past, you may find you would rather not and see what's happening now instead. Or maybe not...

I think that's a bit simplistic. Just because someone likes the Ghostbusters doesn't mean they are reliving the past. I don't have any warm fuzzy associations with Ghostbusters, other than it is a fun movie to watch. My kids (who are pretty current, being young teenagers) liked it. My daughter won't let me sell Lord of the Rings because she loves the books and movies so much and the book came out in the 50s.

A new Ghostbusters movie is out, Walking Dead and Game of Thrones are two of the most popular series on television. Star Trek Beyond just came out, Spider-man has a new movie coming out, etc.

I kind of get your point when it comes to the music pins. I wouldn't consider Kiss, AC/DC, Metallica as the most current acts in music, and the thought of an Aerosmith pin leaves me cold, but I shudder at the thought of a Bieber or Taylor Swift pin myself.

I can understand someone not liking any of the current themes, or not having a connection to them, but saying they aren't relevant or current is just wrong imo.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

I can understand someone not liking any of the current themes, or not having a connection to them, but saying they aren't relevant or current is just wrong imo.

The general trend on this website now is people begging for pinball machines themed after pop culture from their youth. And a large trend in the industry now is appeasing them. If that is't trying to relive their past, then I don't know what you call it.

I like to think there is a difference between collecting antiques and being one.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The general trend on this website now is people begging for pinball machines themed after pop culture from their youth. And a large trend in the industry now is appeasing them. If that is't trying to relive their past, then I don't know what you call it.
I like to think there is a difference between collecting antiques and being one.

I call it wanting themes based on something that they like. Nostalgia is almost always a factor in any aspect of collecting, but as far as currently manufactured pins are concerned, they are still relevant. You only have to look at movie theaters, concert schedules or the tv to see that. None of Stern's current pins are based off of anything that isn't still relevant in culture right now.

I would argue that anyone buying EMs or 80s/90s pins are living more in the past than anyone buying new Sterns.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

I would argue that anyone buying EMs or 80s/90s pins are living more in the past than anyone buying new Sterns.

And I would say you're wrong. That is the hobby aspect of pinball. Buying old machines and keeping them going. I like everybody else have bought games that I played when I was younger, but that is not where I am at now. If somebody buys a game from their youth because of nostalgia then that is where it fits. I am happy with what what was available when I was young and have no need for a new pinball machine based on it now.

But this thread is not about that so lets just let it go.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

But this thread is not about that so lets just let it go.

Yep, agree to disagree I guess

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I think it would be something pretty fun to see them do a generic space theme.

Maybe make the setting a bar somewhere in space kind of like the Star Wars cantina, but keep it generic with all original artwork. The Big Bang Theory is pretty popular on television now, so maybe call it the Big Bang...Bar?

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

Yep, agree to disagree I guess

Give you a few more years and you will know what I'm talking about. I've been there.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from Ripley:

I know where you can get a hot pink Ghostbusters for your Ladyslingshot alter ego.

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Well, to be fair, I'm a Ghostbusters superfan and probably would have stubbornly bought it and tried to force myself to like it. I would have been heartbroken if it sucked though and wouldn't have had a problem admitting it. I'm still upset that The Avengers sucks so bad.

I'm a Kiss super fan but no way am I gonna like that thing unless the code improves. Sucks cause I have the BAlly Kiss unit for more of art piece.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.95
$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

15,699 (OBO)
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/review-ghostbusters-le-67-code-105 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.