06a (resized).JPEG
05 (resized).JPEG
04 (resized).JPEG
03b (resized).JPEG
03a (resized).JPEG
02 (resized).JPEG
01 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Alright, I would like to post a quick review on the "Full Mirrored Backglass for Getaway" for my Getaway, ordered from CPR a few weeks ago. I finally managed to install it, and - although that sound very simple - wasn't. Here is my experience with it and what you as a potential buyer need to keep in mind (unfortunately).

I received my backglass in a special shipping box, that CPR designed to hold two of the backglasses. It traveled internationally without insurance, and I ordered it, because CPR assured me they only broke one in fifteen years (because some moron drove forklift through it), and they would replace if I received it broken and could prove it. I actually ordered six of them for a few pinheads here in Germany and all arrived well.

01 (resized).jpg01 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

So, lets unpack and compare...
I immediately notice, that the colors on the CPR Repro are more vibrant than the original and the color also is shifted towards blue in general. the mirrored elements can be seen clearly. Another difference that became apparent shows, when I try to shift the trims. the glass is metric. 4mm - thicker than 1/8" and thinner than 3/16".

See for yourselves:

02 (resized).JPEG02 (resized).JPEG03a (resized).JPEG03a (resized).JPEG03b (resized).JPEG03b (resized).JPEG
#3 4 years ago

OK, Canada IS a metric country - which I like - but I for a repro this expensive I would have expected them to organize original thickness glass, being so close to the USA. The 1/8" trims are too small, the 3/16" trims are too large and only stay in place with cardboard or something else squeezed in along with the glass itself.
Another issue is the print itself. The printed area is smaller than the glass itself, is slightly rotated with the upper edge not being parallel to the glass (maybe 2mm for the whole width of the glass) and sits shifted all the way to the bottom edge of the glass itself, which leaves a rather large transparent part at the top. An experimental install without trims clearly shows this.

Unfortunately, the 3/16" trims are not deep enough to cover the gap, so light shines through despite trims.
Ultimately I ended up ordering extra deep non-pinball rubber trim for the sides (11mm) and the top (15mm), which barely cover the transparent parts. At the top there is still half a millimeter of bright line left. It's better, but still not what I would expect considering the price of the product:

That will need to be dealt with by foam inside the backbox later.

04 (resized).JPEG04 (resized).JPEG05 (resized).JPEG05 (resized).JPEG
#4 4 years ago

Now lets get to some before/after comparison, first without illumination and also with the pin switched on.
Even in the last image the foam from behind is not yet installed, so that bright line at the top will still disappear, once I figure out how to do that without putting any sticky tape on the glass itself.

06a (resized).JPEG06a (resized).JPEG06b (resized).JPEG06b (resized).JPEG07a (resized).JPEG07a (resized).JPEG07b (resized).JPEG07b (resized).JPEG
#5 4 years ago

So, anyone who would like to install one of these, keep these catches in mind. It's not as plug and play as you would think. Still the final result looks great and I am happy with the upgrade, despite the small - and frankly completely unnecessary - quality issues.

#6 4 years ago

Great, detailed write up...thanks

#7 4 years ago

I just switched to a different trim but didn't have any issues with mine, I love the backglass. Yes, the colors are different and it's not super detailed but using twin smd bulbs, mostly natural white frosted, really make it pop. Enjoy!

Red Backglass (resized).jpgRed Backglass (resized).jpg

#8 4 years ago

how much are they?

#10 4 years ago

I had the same issue on my CPR Funhouse blackglass. Took about thirty minutes to install the plastic trim, to where I had to force the pieces onto the backglass. Other than the glass being too thick, it's a very nice upgrade from a translite.

#11 4 years ago

I would suggest CPR to either sell trim, or to use different thickness glass.

#12 4 years ago

Can you please take some comparison pictures of the people in the car?

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

I would suggest CPR to either sell trim, or to use different thickness glass.

keep in mind that the plastic trim is in "inches" as is the original glass, however, with cpr being in canada all they can get is glass panels in metric "mm" sizes and they will never be the same size

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from Cherries_Jubilee:

keep in mind that the plastic trim is in "inches" as is the original glass, however, with cpr being in canada all they can get is glass panels in metric "mm" sizes and they will never be the same size

Lol, yes that is actually clear to me. If I, as an end-user, can import their product to Germany, I expect it's also possible for CPR, being a business, to manage the logistics of importing sheet glass from the US to Canada.

Quoted from ajnin:

Will do later today

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

I expect it's also possible for CPR, being a business, to manage the logistics of importing sheet glass from the US to Canada.

I agree, it is possible, However, "importing" 100 panels of glass/Month would incur additional Shipping Costs as well as Import Taxes & Brokerage Fees that they would have to pass to the customer, us. That I don't want! What would be an alternative is to start selling plastic Trim that fits mm glass, however, that too is very expensive in developing the Tooling for the injection molds, as well as manufacturing the Trim in huge amounts to keep the costs down. Also note that they would have to do this on several different styles of trim which would be cost prohibitive.

I think the ideal solution is for the current manufactures of Plastic Backglass Trim ( and the Bally Metal Lift Trims, 12/8" & 3/16" ) to start manufacturing in mm. My reasoning is simple: CPR currently offers 77 different repro titles which would justify the current manufactures to offer them in mm sizes.

#16 4 years ago

Brokerage Fees that they would have to pass to the customer

That depends on their business model, margins and the willingness to pay in the target market, which we know nothing about. Do you know their current sourcing conditions, volumes they handle and associated customs-, shipping- and handling fees? Please share your insight.

developing the Tooling for the injection molds

First of all, trims are extrusion parts, not molding. also, they would not need to be actually made by them. There are a lot of companies out there to make such stuff cheap enough to outsource the job. they can also partner with an established manufacturer, and sell trim under their own brand or another. this would provide CPR with a complete portfolio at no additional cost involved at all. again, this has a lot to do with their business model, which we know nothing about.

What is the BEST way to go for them, I will not make make assumptions about, because I do not have confirmed facts and insight into their business. What I am describing here is a clear requirement coming from my personal hands-on experience with their product. that is free market research a company normally needs to pick up money for doing.

I do this because i really like their backglass and think that these minor hickups are unnecessary limitations that are very easy to overcome...

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

Do you know their current sourcing conditions, volumes they handle and associated customs-, shipping- and handling fees? Please share your insight.

I work very closely with CPR, though I'm not an employee of CPR. I do help them out a lot & I do know their sourcing, volumes, shipping, etc.

#18 4 years ago

I work very closely with CPR, though I'm not an employee of CPR. I do help them out a lot & I do know their sourcing, volumes, shipping, etc.

Wow, that is awesome. Maybe you have a good way to let them know

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

Maybe you have a good way to let them know

I already have told them about the issue, and I sent photos of my Metal Lift Trim / Plastic Lift Trim / Thicker 5mm Glass......I have discussed different possible solutions with them, so we will see how it goes.....

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from ajnin:

Here you are. The backglass is installed and lit. The translite is held infront of the DMD, and therefore not lit properly.
CPR Backglass (resized).jpgCPR Backglass (resized).jpgOriginal Translite (resized).jpgOriginal Translite (resized).jpg

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:Here you are. The backglass is installed and lit. The translite is held infront of the DMD, and therefore not lit properly.

The original translite looks more detailed even when unlit and in front of the backglass.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from Barr993:

The original translite looks more detailed even when unlit and in front of the backglass.

Yes, that is true it's slightly more detailed but the Backglass, imo, looks way better in person

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

Yes, that is true it's slightly more detailed but the Backglass, imo, looks way better in person

The added detail in the original is hard to notice, even in person. I only started looking at that due to the request here. I didn't notice it, eventough I think I have a rather detailed approach. So IMHO nothing to worry about.

#24 4 years ago

I've bought two backglasses from CPR--#elvira-and-the-party-monsters and #getaway-high-speed-ii. CPR's Elvira backglass lost some detail and, more importantly, some of the subtle color variation of the original translight (like Elvira's skintone). It was significant enough that I didn't put it in my machine. On the other hand, I really like the Getaway glass. The colors of the backglass look really deep and rich compared to the original. The translight almost looks a bit washed-out in comparison. Both of the backglasses I've bought from CPR look their best when they're lit--no complaints there. Unlit, they look...different. My games are unlit most of the time, so I make decisions mostly on that. I don't like how the EATPM glass looks unlit, but I do like the Getaway glass unlit. Anyway, the Getaway glass is in my machine and I really like it.

My opinion is, if your translight is in good shape then it's a toss up; if not, then absolutely get the CPR--no hesitation.

#25 4 years ago

Well, I bought the EATPM too, I wish all pins had real Backglass so I buy them when I can; however, I did not get the mirrored one because it was sold out so I got the budget one w/o the fo mirror. It seems over saturated when off, not too bad, but with the proper Twin SMD frosted bulbs it's beautiful. I do not see any loss of detail on that backglass as this is a true reproduction where the Getaway is their version and not meant to be a direct replacement.

Backglass

Backglass 1 (resized).jpgBackglass 1 (resized).jpg

Translite

Translite LED (resized).jpgTranslite LED (resized).jpg

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

Here you are. The backglass is installed and lit. The translite is held infront of the DMD, and therefore not lit properly.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks you !!

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

Well, I bought the EATPM too, I wish all pins had real Backglass so I buy them when I can; however, I did not get the mirrored one because it was sold out so I got the budget one w/o the fo mirror. It seems over saturated when off, not too bad, but with the proper Twin SMD frosted bulbs it's beautiful. I do not see any loss of detail on that backglass as this is a true reproduction where the Getaway is their version and not meant to be a direct replacement.
Backglass
[quoted image]
Translite
[quoted image]

I wish somebody with a Afm would do a comparison like this. Ive been on the fence for months.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

It seems over saturated when off, not too bad, but with the proper Twin SMD frosted bulbs it's beautiful.

Agreed. It’s only the when-off appearance that caused me to not install it. Everything looks great when it’s lit. I’ve got some pictures here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-and-the-party-monsters-club-monsterous/page/6#post-1800203

I think Getaway looks good regardless of whether it’s on or off.

#29 4 years ago

Dup

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 20.00
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

5,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fontana, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

$ 72.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/review-cpr-backglass-for-high-speed-2-the-getaway and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.