Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Propaganda
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

AFMTD2 013.jpg
    AFMPFS 021.jpg
    Expansion kit 006.jpg
    Expansion kit 003.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

This is one of those mods everyone seems to love and everyone has nothing but good things to say about. Before I started I was warned by another local restorer of the build quality. He had done a few and said the soldering job was awful. I shrugged it off as him having too high expectations for a homemade product. Boy was he right.

The soldering job was so bad I had 3 broken wires out of the package. I had 2 more wires break off while handling it and now another after it's installed, tie wrapped and impossible to get to.

Also, this was installed during a playfield swap so I routed the wires neatly with the existing harness to try and get a factory look. They ended up being 6 different lengths and not even close to long enough. They will reach as long as they are run independent from the harness.

That being said, it does look amazing when finished. I just hope more wires don't break off every time I go to change a flasher. My friend mentioned hot glueing and I wish I did, but that would make any bad connections permanent.

#2 10 years ago

What is your opinion of video cassette recorder technology?

#3 10 years ago

Should that make sense? Are you inferring that I am reviewing an old product that doesn't matter any more? People are still buying these and I'm shocked nobody has ever publicly questioned the build quality. Care to say something relevant?

#4 10 years ago

I bought and installed mine about a year and a half ago. It was obviously hand built, but the solder joints were fine. Nothing broke during the installation, and it has held up since then. Maybe he has someone new assembling them now.

#5 10 years ago

I installed a set on my RFM several years ago. Everything worked and fit perfectly.

#6 10 years ago

I'm possibly getting a RFM soon so wondering if this is a mod that requires me to buy the kit from him or can it be created from scratch? I will want to do it but don't know how to get the kit or when/if it is available.

Edit: think I found where to get them - ufopinball

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from shimoda:

I'm possibly getting a RFM soon so wondering if this is a mod that requires me to buy the kit from him or can it be created from scratch? I will want to do it but don't know how to get the kit or when/if it is available.

It would be extremely difficult to create the exact same mod from scratch. It comes with its own controller board.

#8 10 years ago

It's definitely a worth while mod but I would say connect it before installing it and make sure all the connections are good. If they are add some hot glue for structural integrity.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

I bought and installed mine about a year and a half ago. It was obviously hand built, but the solder joints were fine. Nothing broke during the installation, and it has held up since then. Maybe he has someone new assembling them now.

I wondered the same thing as I didn't buy it directly from him. I emailed him about it, I will post here if I get a reply.

#10 10 years ago

I installed both the saucer and hallway mods when I did my PF swap a couple years ago and had no problems with soldering or wire length.
    The game has had over 1,000 plays on it and it still works fine.
    I did change the routing of the wires for the hallway mod, this is much cleaner and easier than the way shown in the instructions.

Expansion kit 003.jpgExpansion kit 003.jpg

Expansion kit 006.jpgExpansion kit 006.jpg

#11 10 years ago

Lets be honest here. The real question is will AFMr include this : )

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

No.

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Negative.

And it won't look like this, either:

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Negative.
    And it won't look like this, either

Gorgeous AFM restore and love the Epilepsy warning sticker

#15 10 years ago

Holy crap...that AFM is amazing. Never seen anything close to that nice.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Negative.
    And it won't look like this, either:
    » YouTube video

Very nice, Doug Watson signed my apron when I took the game to PPE, it has been to PAGG twice since I restored it.
    I hope PPS makes this one next and sells it for less than 8K.

AFMPFS 021.jpgAFMPFS 021.jpg

AFMTD2 013.jpgAFMTD2 013.jpg

#17 10 years ago

Just think of what Bill is thinking of the possibility of an AFM remake. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

#18 10 years ago

Thanks guys.

All the credit goes to Jim McCune for the restoration, and Chris Hutchins for re-working the repro PF.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Very nice, Doug Watson signed my apron when I took the game to PPE, it has been to PAGG twice since I restored it.

I've told you this before, but I think that was my favorite machine at PAGG. Was right around where Doug Watson was signing ironically since you did it at PPE.

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I've told you this before, but I think that was my favorite machine at PAGG. Was right around where Doug Watson was signing ironically since you did it at PPE.

A few people said the same thing, there were a lot of really nice games there, the CCC was really nice and so were Steve's sys. 80's and so many others it is hard for me to pick a favorite.
    That was great to have Doug there and the row of his games, there were quite a few nice examples in that row.
    I will probably bring it again to the next PAGG, there were 2 other ones there and all of them got a lot of plays.
    That is the most games I have ever seen and the electrical panels were maxed out, the best PAGG event so far.

#21 10 years ago

Had mine installed for about 7 years, going on 8 with no problems.

Maybe somebody is helping him make these now...?

#22 10 years ago

I have kit #2 installed and we tested two different runs of Pinball Inc. Ramps on my game. They pretty much broke every time we touched them. It's thin wire, it's just the nature of the beast. I put the expansion kit on my game as well. There are parts of that install that are tricky to say the least. It's cool, but it almost looks too stock and only AFM owners might notice what it's doing. Both kits are awesome though!

#23 10 years ago

Did you install this on AFM or RFM?

When I installed the kit on my RFM, it was the beginning of a world of problems I still have not been able to solve

The kit itself seemed fine enough, but like others have said, very thin wire. I don't think you could do it with thicker wire though.

Sounds like you got it going though, so that's good!

Chris

#24 10 years ago

I am surprised so many people are buying them, yes they look awesome but are waaaaaaaay to over priced.

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from webdiddy:

I am surprised so many people are buying them, yes they look awesome but are waaaaaaaay to over priced.

I can't say I agree with that. You might say " it's just some blinking lights", but it makes a big impact on the game. A custom PCB is not a trivial thing, and there's a lot of labor in those light harnesses.

#26 10 years ago

I installed mine about 6 years ago. Took about 1 1/2 hrs to do and that included me hot gluing the LED's in place. The instructions were clear and everything went without a hitch. The impact on the pin's appearance is pretty dramatic and worth every dime of the $149 it cost. It still works perfectly and always has. I dare say it's the best mod I ever bought for any pin.

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from webdiddy:

Right, because $150 is way overpriced when you spend 8K on a machine.

Chris

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Thanks guys.
    All the credit goes to Jim McCune for the restoration, and Chris Hutchins for re-working the repro PF.

Milk the status while you can. Who knows what can happen? Look at MMR.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/review-bill-ung-saucer-kit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.