SAM_1905_(resized).JPG
SAM_1805_(resized).JPG
SAM_1806_(resized).JPG
SAM_1807_(resized).JPG
SAM_1808_(resized).JPG
tempFileForShare_2016-03-19-18-28-57_(resized).jpg
SAM_1769_(resized).JPG
SAM_1775_(resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

They could make the holes in the protector sheet round, then include adhesive star insert fill ins for you to align yourself.
insert_(resized).jpg

Adhesive star fill ins would work. There is another way to make a fill-in but too complicated to talk about here.

The way I got around the rollover issue on the protector I made for my Big Game was to route out the holes for the rollovers with a palm router and then install new rollovers height-matched to the .030" thickness of the protector material. I had five rollovers to work and I'm very happy with the results. There was enough meat on the rollovers that raising them up .030" causes no problem. All I had to do was adjust the switches.

I also cut slots for the lane guides so I can remove the protector when I need to. All I have to do is remove the plastics and 4 or 5 posts and it will lift right off.

For anchoring, I have two tight fitting holes on the two posts for the upper inlanes. The rest of the protector is free and allows for any expansion for heat from the feature lights. It took several final fit and trims to get it trimmed so there was no interference in any way.

And, I also noticed, when I first started playing the pin with the protector in place that it was quiet. But that has changed. I probably have 25 playing hours on the game now and at some point in time I could hear the ball rolling like it was on wood.

The stuff is damn near unbreakable but it will scratch so if you use beat up balls you will eventually be sorry.

I am very happy, so far. It smooths out rough inserts. It takes the beating and saves your play field. And it plays fast!

If I were to order one I would specify for the holes for the rollovers to be cut to diameter and then remove my rollovers with a heat gun and install new rollovers tapped in to match-height. I would also require slots to be cut for the inlane guides for easy install.

Here is the post to the one I made if anybody is interested.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/making-a-play-field-protector-for-my-stern-big-game

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

Cotton,
You already arrived where my thinking was taking me.
I thought raising the star inserts could be a good approach but not with how the current cutouts are in the existing protector.
That led me to consider getting a blank sheet and making my own to allow for raising the star inserts.
But before I do that, I received unsolicitedly a PM from a parts manufacturer who has been following this thread. He has offered to send me his version of a protector for Atlantis at no cost to try and review.
There is light at the end of the tunnel. Just gonna take a little longer to get there.
Dan

Mr. Wizzo, that would be great. You look like you know how to get around on a play field. Tell him to cut just a diameter for the roll overs without those flaky cut outs. And then get yourself some new roll overs and install to match-height. Tell him to cut slots for the inlane guide wires, too.

One item the sort of scares about the elongated cut out in the pic from the OP is that you now have 4 new impact points. Every time that ball crosses a roll over it is going to drop down and hit the play field. And then you might left with 4 new wear spots to deal with.

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

I'm curious, could just a slit cut in the poly work as well? Instead of that 2 or 3MM gap you created. Does the poly flex enough?
Thanks for the review. That company only has a few EM titles.

You could do it with a slit. But you would have to cut the slit by hand with a razor knife. Slotting with a Dremal is much easier. And yes, the poly would flex enough that you could do it with a slit, but you will have to work harder to install and remove it. That is unnecessary labor, IMO.

You are not going to make the protector disappear. Anybody who takes a medium look at your machine will see the protector. Consider it a feature.

What I can tell you is that when you are playing a game, you won't even notice because your table will play so nicely. Cupped inserts are no longer a problem that diverts the ball. If the ball at the top of the table is heading for your flipper, it will reach your flipper. No more last second change in ball trajectory that sends the ball SDTM.

Will it get dirt under it? Yes. Just lift it off and vacuum the play field. No biggie.

Will it grind dirt into the play field? I don't know. I have not been using it long enough, but I don't think it will be a problem. Especially, if you clean and vacuum your play field once in a while.

Does it get dimples? No. I have not done a legitimate hardness test, but my SWAG method tells me it is harder than play field wood with clear coat.

And, in my opinion, anybody who tells you that it does not play fast does not know what they are talking about.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

I don't have a problem creating the openings for the rails. Gonna request if possible just the cutouts for the stars. Don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth as it was quite an unexpected and generous offer.

I understand. It is a generous offer. However, if the supplier wants to make an impact, he needs to know what is needed to make his protector a success in the marketplace. And I am going to guess that most people will not want to remove parts what were intended to be permanent. OTOH, as you have shown, they can be cut manually if one is so inclined.

BTW: You can cut .030 Macrolon/Lexan/poly with a pair of scissors along any straight line.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from goldenboy232:

I would also change the gap along the edge of the drop-targets as it's currently JUST the wrong size that occasionally the ball gets stuck there. Doesn't happen often, but once is too much in my opinion. Either bring the playfield protector all the way to the very edge of the wood, or else make the gap a couple of mm wider.

Yes. That is the way I made mine. I ran the protector all the way to the edge of the wood. There is no reason not to. Pulling it back away from the drops is the wrong way to go.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Since there is a designer monitoring this thread, I will add a suggestion. I would change the hole size around the pop bumpers. Right now it is just barely bigger than the switch platter. If the protector is not perfectly centered the pop bumper switch can hang up. So I would either make the hole an extra few millimeters bigger or make it much smaller so the switch is on top of the protector.

Is there any way you can make some .030" thick shims to raise your pop bumpers? I did that with mine to compensate for the thickness on the protector.

1 week later
#46 8 years ago
Quoted from joe2012:

I put the protector in Flash to see what it looks like. I left the film on so it doesn't get scratched. Not happy with it at all. I'll send them an e-mail over the weekend.

SAM_1808_(resized).JPGSAM_1807_(resized).JPGSAM_1806_(resized).JPGSAM_1805_(resized).JPG

I don't blame you for not liking it. The way the manufacturer is cutting out around the rollovers is substandard. Having said that, the only way to make it correctly would be for the MFR to require you to remove and reset the rollovers to match the height of the protector. Some people could do that and others would blow it and then blame the MFR. No easy solution here.

The lower part of the play field where the MFR has cut out for the chrome rods below the flippers concerns me less. Yeah, they could be a little tighter but if they were too tight then variations in play fields might cause clearance problems.

2 weeks later
#52 8 years ago
Quoted from joe2012:

Here are some pic's of Lost World with the game on. Joe

I can understand the manufacturer makes the teardrop cutout along the bottom of the insert to keep the ball from getting stuck. But why does the MFE need to make the cutout along the top of the insert? The ball will not get stuck along the top side.

a17b3fd118fad310eec64d3172bb2f065a36dbb0_(resized).jpga17b3fd118fad310eec64d3172bb2f065a36dbb0_(resized).jpg

I am in process of making my 2nd poly protector for another pin I just bought. I am learning that there are vagaries with different play fields for the same pin. E.G. My Joker Poker's posts maybe be located just a little bit different than yours; So the MFR makes the cuts around the posts a little wide so his design can fit both your pin and my pin. Since I am cutting my own I can make tight cuts around all play field objects.

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

The rollover issue is 'unsightly' but apparently works. Someone earlier mentioned another possibility that I think would be much better than raising inserts and that is having the protector go in a circle around the rollovers and separate pieces cut out to fit over the rollover that could be rotated to fit properly. Problem might be that the small difference in height could make it much more likely switch hits would be missed if not absolutely set tight.

Vid suggested the adhesive backed star insert fillers. I have thought about that a lot. It is as you say. That small difference in height is .030". The white rollover star's blades measure 1.0" diameter. Install a .030" adhesive backed filler and the star blade diameter is reduced by 25% and now measures only .75" diameter. That's a lot.

I'm finishing up my 2nd protector for a play field that has two inserts. I have raised them both. But now I can understand why a play field protector maker would be hesitant to offer up a part that requires play mods because some people are not set up to make PF mods.

6 months later
#69 7 years ago
Quoted from DK:

So how do I fix this? Ball can not roll smooth because it is "bumped" just south of the rollover area to the top of flippers

You have an interference point somewhere between the protector and a play field part. The protector could be riding on the edge of a post, for example.

Check all points where the protector and the parts meet. You will need to take a file and remove some of the protector to clear the interference.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/review-atlantis-makrolon-playfield-protector?tu=cottonm4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.