SAM_1905_(resized).JPG
SAM_1805_(resized).JPG
SAM_1806_(resized).JPG
SAM_1807_(resized).JPG
SAM_1808_(resized).JPG
tempFileForShare_2016-03-19-18-28-57_(resized).jpg
SAM_1769_(resized).JPG
SAM_1775_(resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MrWizzo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Ordered one directly from the manufacturer on ebay. Came in the estimated time frame from NL, about ten days. I was surprised at the box it came in, but it rolled out flat with no issue.

Rather than pull the balls guides out from the playfield as would be required since there are not slats cut in the protector but only holes at each guide's end, I cut out slats between each end hole for the guides, and that worked well.

Had to drill to holes for the two pins in the bagatelle. No problem there.

It installed easily. Removed and cleaned up the pop bumpers and removed the mylar. Nice to see the artwork around the skirts now.

The first adjective that comes to mind when you first play a ball on the protector is eerie. Complete silence. You do not hear the ball contacting the playfield.

Plays very well and fast on it.

BUT, there is a major problem with the Atlantis version. I cannot understand why they decided to accommodate the star rollovers with the unnecessarily large cutouts. These cutouts change the ball trajectory when encountered. The manufacturer needed to engineer the cutouts to be simply in the shape of the stars, and this would be a perfect product. Sensitivity of the switches underneath could be adjusted to take into account the higher height of the playfield surface. Maybe this was the reason for the current approach.

I tried placing mylar over the cutouts, but of course that looked lousy and did not help. Still cogitating over how to correct this problem. Yes, I know Wade is running playfields, but the artwork on mine is fine; cupped inserts were more the issue, and I already overpaid for the game, so I thought I would try a less expensive possible solution. Although I have used clear lacquer to fill in cupped inserts with good success on my C37 and Sing Along , I thought I would try the protector since available for Atlantis.

YMMV. For games without midfield cutouts, this must be a great product, but for Atlantis, it needs to be improved.

Dan

IMG_20160315_134904700[1]_(resized).jpgIMG_20160315_134904700[1]_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160315_134856093_TOP[1]_(resized).jpgIMG_20160315_134856093_TOP[1]_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160315_134632673[1]_(resized).jpgIMG_20160315_134632673[1]_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160315_134611469[1]_(resized).jpgIMG_20160315_134611469[1]_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160315_134553810[1]_(resized).jpgIMG_20160315_134553810[1]_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160315_134546984[1]_(resized).jpgIMG_20160315_134546984[1]_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160315_134537426[1]_(resized).jpgIMG_20160315_134537426[1]_(resized).jpg

#4 8 years ago

Probably will collect dirt.

Thought the cutouts could a problem before buying, but tried anyway.

Dan

#6 8 years ago

I had already installed the pins, so when I laid the protector over the bagatelle, I pressed the protector onto each pin to get a visible indentation.

I used a bit a little bigger than the pins, supported the raised protector with one hand and used the bit in a dremel to cut the hole with gentle pressure.

I probably at some point will remove the protector and fill in the cupped inserts with clear lacquer.

Good tip about using compressed air.

Dan

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The overlay company could not cut out the stars in the star rollovers because they are installed randomly at the factory.
Here is a NOS Gottlieb and you can see that the points of the stars are random in their direction.
The crosshairs are centered on the rollovers, ignore the black keylines:
rollover_(resized).jpg

Thanks,Vid. That makes perfect sense.

Dan

#12 8 years ago

Wonder if only a circular cutout close up to the edge of where the white star meets the playfield cutout would work.

#17 8 years ago

By Christmas, if course!

#21 8 years ago

I think this thread has a bromance brewing!

Surely others prefer to pull out the rails as well. Many will benefit from the tips you mention.

I prefer not to disrupt anything on EMs unless absolutely necessary. Each time the rail is removed, the hole probably enlarges, and the fit is not as tight. Admittedly this isn't a daily occurrence.

If for any reason I need to remove the protector, I can do so without disturbing the rails. Better design would have obviated removal of rails.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

This whole thread reminds me of Grandma's house in the 1970's.

plastic-furniture_(resized).jpg

Brought back memories!

Not only weren't you to not sit on the furniture, but you weren't even allowed in that room.

Sitting on those plastic covers without air conditioning in the summer was horrible. Had to go in there only because it was forbidden!

#24 8 years ago

Cotton,

You already arrived where my thinking was taking me.

I thought raising the star inserts could be a good approach but not with how the current cutouts are in the existing protector.

That led me to consider getting a blank sheet and making my own to allow for raising the star inserts.

But before I do that, I received unsolicitedly a PM from a parts manufacturer who has been following this thread. He has offered to send me his version of a protector for Atlantis at no cost to try and review.

There is light at the end of the tunnel. Just gonna take a little longer to get there.

Dan

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Mr. Wizzo, that would be great. You look like you know how to get around on a play field. Tell him to cut just a diameter for the roll overs without those flaky cut outs. And then get yourself some new roll overs and install to match-height. Tell him to cut slots for the inlane guide wires, too.
One item the sort of scares about the elongated cut out in the pic from the OP is that you now have 4 new impact points. Every time that ball crosses a roll over it is going to drop down and hit the play field. And then you might left with 4 new wear spots to deal with.

Appearances can be deceiving,
but that's why God gave us Vid!

I don't have a problem creating the openings for the rails. Gonna request if possible just the cutouts for the stars. Don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth as it was quite an unexpected and generous offer.

Absolutely agree with the potential for quick wear where the triangular cutouts are. I would put mylar there if I kept this version on the Playfield. Hope others have. Maybe someone will produce protectors for this protector

Quoted from Darcy:

I'm curious, could just a slit cut in the poly work as well? Instead of that 2 or 3MM gap you created. Does the poly flex enough?
Thanks for the review. That company only has a few EM titles.

It would flex enough. Thought about doing it that way, but decided cutting a gap between end points had a more finished look. YMMV.

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from goldenboy232:

Any chance he wants two reviewers? I'd love to try a different one!

Okay, but you would have to swear to never remove a guide rail again!!

Maybe he will reach out to you as well, but cannot speak for him.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You could do it with a slit. But you would have to cut the slit by hand with a razor knife.

Will it get dirt under it? Yes. Just lift it off and vacuum the play field. No biggie.

And, in my opinion, anybody who tells you that it does not play fast does not know what they are talking about.

I cut mine with a razor and straight edge, and you can see at the left out lanes where I went and cut long and scratched the protector. New blade and more patience next time.

Gottlieb EMs have a bumper body wider than the skirt making removal of the pop bumper necessary, so cleaning on these games not so easy. What I did was make a cut at twelve o'clock on each of the bumper cutouts about 1.5 inches long. You cannot see them when you play, and they stay flat not affecting the roll of the ball. This allows you to get the extra diameter needed to get the protector off the bumpers by separating the cut and sliding the opening around the top edge of the bumper body. I did this as a quick attempt to put it in place and later tore apart the bumpers, which needed cleaning anyway.

Very fast. Plays great for sure.

#37 8 years ago

I got some pics of the new design, and here is what I notice.

The shooter lane piece looks full length.

There are cutouts for all the rails.

The two middle center rail cutouts seem a little longer to accommodate the two pins.

The rollover cutouts are simply circles. Don't know the diameter yet to allow raising the inserts. Should receive it in about a week and will let all know.

There may be more improvements that my eye is not picking up as slight increase to bumper cutouts and edge on target section.

I believe we have a better mousetrap!

Many thanks to you know who you are

#42 8 years ago

Joe,

Did I buy your flip a card at York a couple years ago?

Dan

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MrWizzo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/review-atlantis-makrolon-playfield-protector?tu=MrWizzo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.