Topic Stats

• 72 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by MeNaCeFiRe
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 30 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_5261 (resized).jpg
IMG_5260 (resized).jpg
IMG_5258 (resized).jpg
pasted_image_(resized).png
Pinball_Roll_Over_Targets_-_Demolition_Man_(resized).JPG
a17b3fd118fad310eec64d3172bb2f065a36dbb0_(resized).jpg
SAM_1908_(resized).JPG
SAM_1906_(resized).JPG
SAM_1905_(resized).JPG
SAM_1805_(resized).JPG
SAM_1806_(resized).JPG
SAM_1807_(resized).JPG
SAM_1808_(resized).JPG
tempFileForShare_2016-03-19-18-28-57_(resized).jpg
SAM_1769_(resized).JPG
SAM_1775_(resized).JPG

There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 3 years ago

The rollover issue is 'unsightly' but apparently works. Someone earlier mentioned another possibility that I think would be much better than raising inserts and that is having the protector go in a circle around the rollovers and separate pieces cut out to fit over the rollover that could be rotated to fit properly. Problem might be that the small difference in height could make it much more likely switch hits would be missed if not absolutely set tight.

#52 3 years ago
Quoted from joe2012:

Here are some pic's of Lost World with the game on. Joe

I can understand the manufacturer makes the teardrop cutout along the bottom of the insert to keep the ball from getting stuck. But why does the MFE need to make the cutout along the top of the insert? The ball will not get stuck along the top side.

a17b3fd118fad310eec64d3172bb2f065a36dbb0_(resized).jpg

I am in process of making my 2nd poly protector for another pin I just bought. I am learning that there are vagaries with different play fields for the same pin. E.G. My Joker Poker's posts maybe be located just a little bit different than yours; So the MFR makes the cuts around the posts a little wide so his design can fit both your pin and my pin. Since I am cutting my own I can make tight cuts around all play field objects.

#53 3 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

The rollover issue is 'unsightly' but apparently works. Someone earlier mentioned another possibility that I think would be much better than raising inserts and that is having the protector go in a circle around the rollovers and separate pieces cut out to fit over the rollover that could be rotated to fit properly. Problem might be that the small difference in height could make it much more likely switch hits would be missed if not absolutely set tight.

Vid suggested the adhesive backed star insert fillers. I have thought about that a lot. It is as you say. That small difference in height is .030". The white rollover star's blades measure 1.0" diameter. Install a .030" adhesive backed filler and the star blade diameter is reduced by 25% and now measures only .75" diameter. That's a lot.

I'm finishing up my 2nd protector for a play field that has two inserts. I have raised them both. But now I can understand why a play field protector maker would be hesitant to offer up a part that requires play mods because some people are not set up to make PF mods.

#54 3 years ago

I used a black marker on the edge of the protector on Flashes left side rollovers. (post #44) It made the edge blend in a lot better.

#55 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

But why does the MFE need to make the cutout along the top of the insert? The ball will not get stuck along the top side.

The ball will hit the top edge and go airborne.

You've probably seen the same thing with rollover switch slots, the bottom edge AND the top edge are eased, to prevent airballs.

Pinball_Roll_Over_Targets_-_Demolition_Man_(resized).JPG

3 months later
#56 3 years ago

I looked for this playfield protector on eBay and couldn't find one. Does anyone know where I could purchase one?

#57 3 years ago

try this link
then choose specific pin model,
that you want for PF protector

ebay.com link » Flipper Pinball Playfield Spielfeld Protektor Fur Flipper A E

pasted_image_(resized).png

#59 3 years ago

Why ? what is the point ? who has a home game that gets 10,000 plays a year .?
I truly don't get it......
Atlantis is a $1000 - 1500 game .

Ty
Brian

#60 3 years ago
Quoted from Bribo13:

Why ? what is the point ? who has a home game that gets 10,000 plays a year .?
I truly don't get it......
Atlantis is a $1000 - 1500 game .
Ty
Brian

Mine's going on route, and a common thing I see on many Atlantis pins are sunken inserts (which mine also has). This protector will make the ball roll with no "hiccups".

I don't know what the dollar amount you put in has to do with the Playfield protector...

#62 3 years ago

I have also installed protectors on several EM and early solid states... it is done relatively quickly within a small service (cleaning, new rubbers)... and yes no hiccups anymore and no progressing wears (due to hiccups )

They are now selling directly - https://www.playfield-protectors.com/ (for a slightly better price)

#63 3 years ago
Quoted from frg:

I have also installed protectors on several EM and early solid states... it is done relatively quickly within a small service (cleaning, new rubbers)... and yes no hiccups anymore and no progressing wears (due to hiccups )
They are now selling directly - https://www.playfield-protectors.com/ (for a slightly better price)

And thinner now ... That'll be much better.

I look forward to trying them out. I'll do a write up when I get one for my Firepower.

rd

#64 3 years ago

Just get the $2k fix which is a Wade Krause playfield and an additional $1300 to have it installed. You could also get it clear coated which adds about $600 to the cost. Think fast, they aren't going to last.

#65 3 years ago

I rather go with the Makrolon type protection (or even clearcoat it myself) on the original then spend $3900 extra for a playfield.

Geez $3900 can get you two 80's pinball games in good condition here in Sweden, even more pinballs if its EM games you are buying.

#66 3 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Geez $3900 can get you two 80's pinball games in good condition here in Sweden, even more pinballs if its EM games you are buying.

That's the reality that a lot of people don't seem to get.

Not everyone wants to spend $2000 for a Playfield swap on a game that is worth $2000 max. It just doesn't make sense to do so, unless you are going to keep the game forever... and how many people do that?

The protectors are a viable option for a lot of games.

rd

#67 3 years ago

It makes sense to me to have nice stuff like a couple of pinball machines with perfect playfields. Hope to add a few more in the coming years.

2 months later
#68 3 years ago

So how do I fix this? Ball can not roll smooth because it is "bumped" just south of the rollover area to the top of flippers

IMG_5258 (resized).jpg

IMG_5260 (resized).jpg

IMG_5261 (resized).jpg

#69 3 years ago
Quoted from MeNaCeFiRe:

So how do I fix this? Ball can not roll smooth because it is "bumped" just south of the rollover area to the top of flippers

You have an interference point somewhere between the protector and a play field part. The protector could be riding on the edge of a post, for example.

Check all points where the protector and the parts meet. You will need to take a file and remove some of the protector to clear the interference.

#70 2 years ago

The protector itself is wavy at that point, whether on the playfield or on my table

#71 2 years ago

Not sold on these protectors, seems like dust or moisture can get between it and the playfield over time.

#72 2 years ago

Anyone else with wavy protectors that have been able to fix theirs?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
2,000 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Woodbury, MN
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Mateo, CA
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Flashinstinct
$ 64.95
$ 50.00
£ 58.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 14.95
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 18.99
€ 8.10
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 229.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside