Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by wayout440
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I have the opportunity to trade my Revenge From Mars (all stock, no upgrades like LCD or NuCore) for a really nice looking Fish Tales. I have only played fish tales a couple times in personal. I have played it more on pinball arcade.

Just curious what you guys think.

Thanks

#2 3 years ago

NO

I own RFM. I am a fisherman and I would love to have FT. I still would not trade it. RFM's qualities of historical significance/artwork/epic gameplay make it a solid keeper in my book. Fish Tales is a nice game, but not for a trade of RFM. Trade something else or save your money up, and hold on to RFM is my opinion.

#3 3 years ago

Do it! You won't regret it
FT is an awesome pin

#4 3 years ago

I don't think you can go wrong. I am actually picking up a FT tomorrow, 2nd time I have owned one, excited about having it again. I have owned RFM as well. Both have a lot of fun factor and smile factor. Both have some of the same issues about not having much of an ultimate game...on RFM when you finish all 9 things, well you start over. Fish Tales, you get the Monster Fish...well, you go after another Monster Fish. So not the deepest of games either way. But that's some of the reason they have both stayed "reasonably priced" in this ever-increasingly priced pinball market. Both pretty family friendly, that's one reason FT sells easily. If it was me...well I would do the trade for something new, but that's just me. Good luck on your decision.

#5 3 years ago

RFM over FT. Especially in you already have a few other pins. it's great to have variety.

#6 3 years ago

For similar value mostly with cash to you I think you should trade for Indy 500, Whirlwind, Getaway or WCS first. All better games than whatever game you mentioned above.

#7 3 years ago

I would trade RFM for a Fish Tales so quick it would make your head spin, and I like RFM, but I just don't think it is as much fun as FT.

#8 3 years ago

Thanks all for the comments. It sounds like FT is a good game. I just haven't even powered on RFM for months. It's great for parties but right now it's collecting dust.

#9 3 years ago

FishTales is by far the most played game in my collection, at least 5 times the plays.

#10 3 years ago

Fish Tales is a way better pin, but RFM would add (or in this case keep) some diversity to your line-up.

I'd make that trade, but I don't think it'd be bad to keep it in the line-up either.

#11 3 years ago

For those of you that agree, what specifically makes FT a "way better pin"?

#12 3 years ago

Do it. FT is going up in value. Pinball Arcade does not do the game justice. It's a bit shallow but fast and fun. Gameplay can be frustrating with quick drains but I always go back for more. Some people don't like the music but I think it's one of the best. Above all else there is a big flapping fish on top of the game. That's just awesome. RFM is a neat idea but I am not a fan of the video integration. The video stuff looks dated and it just ends up being a bash game of imaginary targets. I rather have a full pin with bright lights, toys, and ramps you can actually see.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Simple rules, but it can be really challenging. Going for monster fish is fun/safe and worth a bit, but if you can get to super jackpots in MB it blows the monster fish strategy out of the water. Nice short ball times if you have it set up well. Cool art, toys, and topper

#14 3 years ago

FT is straight up fun, simple but yet difficult to complete the super jackpots. I just have a blast every time I play it.

RFM is shooting invisible stuff hidden under the monitor image, the humor is relatively forced and AFM is a way better game. SW:E1 was better with not all of the monitor being used for images, but the game play was way worse.

the only benefit for both P2K games is that perhaps someone will make a wizard blocks kit in the future.

-c

#15 3 years ago

FT is awesome. Especially a nice one. RFM was the game that got me into pinball from vids, but it gets stale pretty quick.

#16 3 years ago

Hell yes...FT is 37 times better than RFM, maybe even 38

#17 3 years ago

Like FT better. Interesting thought FT was Pinside ranked much higher but actually RFM 39th and FT 40th so close in popularity for what that's worth.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Gameplay can be frustrating with quick drains but I always go back for more. Some people don't like the music but I think it's one of the best.

FT most of the time a quick drain for me as well. That's a turn off. And I love the music in RFM more.

Quoted from jdoz2:

Nice short ball times if you have it set up well

short ball times is not something I consider an advantage, and a reason I loosen or eliminate tilt mechs. If I want short ball times I'll play an old EM.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

FT most of the time a quick drain for me as well. That's a turn off. And I love the music in RFM more.

short ball times is not something I consider an advantage, and a reason I loosen or eliminate tilt mechs. If I want short ball times I'll play an old EM.

play better!

Flailing in FT is a bad strategy. you need to plan your shots; the sucker shots are the captive ball (do this while the ball save is active in MB), and the fish targets...you need to bank one into the other just right.

oh yah and the extra ball target, back hand that.

-c

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Layout layout layout...

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

RFM is more gimmick than pin in a lot of ways. I like playing it enough, but more as a break from traditional than anything else.

Fish Tales has great artwork, a fun topper that gets your heart pumping, is stupidly fast, has one of the (if not THE) best video modes in all of pinball, a brutal multiball started by an awesome ball lock, a unique take on a caster/shooter, multiple challenges to put you on the leaders board (score, boats rocked, biggest liar), and music that I personally enjoy.

I consider Fish Tales to be a BW classic, and RFM more a footnote and fun experiment.

#22 3 years ago

I own both and so should you.both are keepers for diff reasons but if you could only have one hhmmmmmmm ft maybe

#23 3 years ago

well if you don't play RFM do the trade.

seems pretty simple

I like both but FT>RFM

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from BeaglePuss:

RFM more a footnote and fun experiment.

Footnote? It was a milestone of achievement. It even had a documentary movie about it. I just don't see why anyone would let this fantastic game go, but I am glad someone did so that I could get one.

...of course, it seems I am the only RFM fan left to defend it out here. Congratulations to whomever gets this RFM, you're getting a fabulous game with historical significance.

#25 3 years ago

I own both and both are keepers. Considering equal condition, I would think that FT is worth a but more $.

#26 3 years ago

Not everbody puts any value in historical significance, or ground breaking tech advances...I dont...I like to play great pinball and RFM, to me, is not great pinball...Fish Tales is.

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from GimpMaster:

I just haven't even powered on RFM for months. It's great for parties but right now it's collecting dust.

I think that is your answer.

Personally, I think RFM is amazing and like it way more than FT. That said, if you aren't playing it for months then it's time for it to move on.

Depending on condition, they have about equal value. Seems like a good deal.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Footnote? It was a milestone of achievement. It even had a documentary movie about it.

There's a documentary called "Zoo" about a guy that gets killed while having sex with a horse.

I don't want to work that into my lineup either, but to each their own.

#29 3 years ago

To each his own, but if you do go through with it, better have the FT owner throw in some cash with the deal because RFM is worth more (estimated prices based on Ebay sales and Pinside estimates)

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

To each his own, but if you do go through with it, better have the FT owner throw in some cash with the deal because RFM is worth more (estimated prices based on Ebay sales and Pinside estimates)

I think that all depends on condition, if the FT playfield is a nice original that's pretty rare.

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

I think that all depends on condition, if the FT playfield is a nice original that's pretty rare.

Of course the conditions have to be similar to apply. The guides used to estimate are averages, with no conditioned mentioned. RFM averages slightly more, that's all I was saying. For some folks, money is no object and that won't even be a factor. Just throwing the facts out there.

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Footnote? It was a milestone of achievement. It even had a documentary movie about it. I just don't see why anyone would let this fantastic game go, but I am glad someone did so that I could get one.
...of course, it seems I am the only RFM fan left to defend it out here. Congratulations to whomever gets this RFM, you're getting a fabulous game with historical significance.

and me for rfm
realy like ft
but wouldnt trade

#33 3 years ago

I have owned both. FT remains. Its a good pin. Getting to super jackpot is hard.

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

The video stuff looks dated and it just ends up being a bash game of imaginary targets.

I think the video still looks better than the P3 stuff. And the targets aren't "imaginary" - they're physical targets that are "painted" with video, which is pretty damned awesome if you ask me.

Quoted from wayout440:

...of course, it seems I am the only RFM fan left to defend it out here.

Nope. I'm a pretty ardent RFM defender too. I think it's still the most advanced pinball ever made.

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from ramsfan:

FishTales is by far the most played game in my collection, at least 5 times the plays.

That is because of the half second ball times

#36 3 years ago

RFM is fun for awhile, but have tired of it before while playing on location. Never been the case with FT. Never tired of AFM either. Neither pin2k seem to be able to keep the interest up, maybe too much repetition or too easy?

#37 3 years ago

I'm the exact opposite. I get bored with AFM, lots more to do on RFM. It's a deeper game. If you think it's easy you haven't played mine.

1 week later
#38 3 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

That is because of the half second ball times

LOL. Fish tales does that to me a lot! I can't stand short ball times. I also have RFM is set to five ball with all the awards set to extra ball because I love epic 30 min+ games

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from PB-Guy:

Both have some of the same issues about not having much of an ultimate game...on RFM when you finish all 9 things, well you start over. Fish Tales, you get the Monster Fish...well, you go after another Monster Fish. So not the deepest of games either way. But that's some of the reason they have both stayed "reasonably priced" in this ever-increasingly priced pinball market. Both pretty family friendly, that's one reason FT sells easily. If it was me...well I would do the trade for something new, but that's just me. Good luck on your decision.

I gotta disagree with you. You ever attacked Mars on RFM? That's a challenging wizard mode to get to, let alone complete. I can't tell you how many quarters it took me to finally complete it, and when I did, oh boy was it satisfying. And it's worth a lot of points. To me, FT is getting MB over and over to build the SJP. That game bores me quickly, whereas RFM has a lot going for it that other pins don't offer. It's unique, and I'm glad to see so many people in this thread stand up for it.

That being said, if you haven't turned your game on in months, I see no reason why you should want to keep it. It comes down to personal taste, and if you don't like the game, a trade for any pin would probably be good

#40 3 years ago

I have had my FT since 1997 and I played RFM a few times in 2002 but it never did anything for me. Everyone is different but I wouldn't get rid of my FT over an RFM that's for sure.

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from Tilerh17:

I gotta disagree with you. You ever attacked Mars on RFM? That's a challenging wizard mode to get to, let alone complete. I can't tell you how many quarters it took me to finally complete it, and when I did, oh boy was it satisfying. And it's worth a lot of points. To me, FT is getting MB over and over to build the SJP. That game bores me quickly, whereas RFM has a lot going for it that other pins don't offer. It's unique, and I'm glad to see so many people in this thread stand up for it.
That being said, if you haven't turned your game on in months, I see no reason why you should want to keep it. It comes down to personal taste, and if you don't like the game, a trade for any pin would probably be good

yes this!

or RFM!

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from LoserKid3:

Hey guys! I just got my RFM 2 days ago! Traded a Fish Tales for it and I must say that I got the better end of the deal!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 239.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 40.00
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 50.00
$ 28.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 36.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
MONSTERFISH MODS
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Riverside, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hackettstown, NJ
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Celina, TX
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Goffstown, NH

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside