(Topic ID: 180211)

Revenge from mars, the relay is buzzing?

By hocuslocus

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by hocuslocus
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

having an issue with RFM and SWE1, same cabinet. when either game is turned on the within 12-16 seconds the relay buzzes. everything's good for another 12-16 seconds and the relay buzzes again. This continues over and over again until the game is turned off.

The buzzing will happen almost every time the game is turned on. on occasion the buzzing doesn't happen at all. I just assumed it might be the caps, so I replaced all the electrolytic ones on the power driver board but the problem persists.

If anyone has any suggestions as where to look I'm open

I actually have another NOS power driver board. but I'm afraid to try it mainly because I don't want anything to happen to it.

#2 7 years ago

Relay? My p2k cab was buzzing from the fluorescent ballast. unplug it and see if that resolves it.

#3 7 years ago

yeah, I don't even have that installed. it's almost every ten seconds on the mark.

#4 7 years ago

A good starting point is to identify the specific relay that is buzzing.

#5 7 years ago

there is only one relay in on the board in question. it's a dpdt 12vdc relay, I'm not really sure that the relay itself is the issue but more like a symptom, then again. another thing is all the lights dim during the buzz.

I'm in the process of getting another computer hooked up just to verify that it is indeed a power driver board issue. sadly I'm not having any luck getting it to boot.

#6 7 years ago

THE relay that is on the driver board controls the 50V solenoids and 20V. If you have the cover off of the driver board case, and the relay is buzzing indicating it is not getting a solid latch ON then check the relay control signal at U33 pin13. If this signal is solid and the relay is buzzing then the driver transistor for the relay may be bad, Q71 2N3904. Check the signal at the anode end of D45 to confirm.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from minnesota13:

THE relay that is on the driver board controls the 50V solenoids and 20V. If you have the cover off of the driver board case, and the relay is buzzing indicating it is not getting a solid latch ON then check the relay control signal at U33 pin13. If this signal is solid and the relay is buzzing then the driver transistor for the relay may be bad, Q71 2N3904. Check the signal at the anode end of D45 to confirm.

you were right on the money, It was the transistor.

I have experience with higher voltage circuits mains, I've only recently gotten into ic circuits. So reading some of these diagrams and making sense of what is going on can be a challenge. Still got a lot of learning to do, thank you for your help.

#8 7 years ago

never mind it wasn't there for a while and now it came back. must be another symptom, I'm starting to think it's a computer problem.

I swapped the playfield
I swapped the power driver board
I unplugged the monitor
the only thing in common with all these is the motherboard.

guess it was just a coincidence that it decided to start working when the transistor was replaced.
these problems that are intermittent are really a pain in the ass.

#9 7 years ago

So the relay is buzzing, but other functions are working OK?

(Sometimes when CPU voltage is too low, it puts out garbage on the data bus and logic controlled things like relays chatter.)

#10 7 years ago

yeah, I'm running a newer computer with a quad core. I had to upgrade to Ubuntu 15.10 in order to get everything to function correctly. sound and video

I'm not 100% the buzz is gone, but after replacing a wire that was getting smashed in the coin door the buzz hasn't been heard from in 3 days of testing. I also finally got my SWE1 playfield functioning.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 85.00
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/revenge-from-mars-the-relay-is-buzzing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.