Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by thesav
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hi, I've recently acquired a RFM machine, and love it, however each time it's turned on, a solenoid (unsure which one yet??) goes through 10 on/off cycles before the game is playable. This cycle happens if you open/close the coin door as well..

Is this normal for an RFM game? Or have i got a fault? Any help is appreciated - This is my first pinball machine, so go easy on me..

The game seems to play fine other than that.

Thanks!

#2 7 years ago

Opening the coin door probably disconnects the 50V to the coils so that might have something to do with the reason it retriggers BUT you really need to know which coil is firing before anyone can give any advice towards fixing it.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from thesav:

Is this normal for an RFM game? Or have i got a fault? Any help is appreciated - This is my first pinball machine, so go easy on me..
The game seems to play fine other than that.
Thanks!

Not normal, find out which solenoid. Try looking at the diagnostic pages, switch diagnostics and run coil tests. Provide us with some more details and we'll see what we can do. I've never heard of that problem before.

#4 7 years ago

I would suspect you have a stuck switch and the system is trying to fire a coil thinking a ball is stuck. Vertical upkick would be my first suspect.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I would suspect you have a stuck switch and the system is trying to fire a coil thinking a ball is stuck. Vertical upkick would be my first suspect.

Agree on a stuck switch, and machine trying to clear a stuck ball, go to switch test and see what switches are closed. Find the one that should be open (or closed) that isn't, and you may have found the problem. The machine probably also has a credit dot and will tell you the moment you go into diag what the problem is...

#6 7 years ago

Thanks guys! Ok, so I pulled the playfield out today to have a better look at this, and markmon is correct, it's the Vertical upkick thats firing 10 times each startup.

What can I do now though? The VUK seems to work fine when the ball enters it, but just fires 10 times upon startup.. How can i diagnose this further?

Thanks for the awesome and quick responses.

#7 7 years ago

To clarify my last post, it appears to be the '3 ball popper assembly' (page 2-20 of the RFM manual).
It seems there is a small 'gate' like part that is partly dislodged on the playfield side of this assembly (Looks like i have to pull half the playfield off to get this back in??),plus the diverter mechanism (page 2-21 of the RFM manual shows the underside mechanism), seemed to be stuck on a busted rubber at the playfield level also, I've freed this up now and it tests okay, but the popper is still firing 10 times on startup or whenever the door is closed.

Any help please?

#8 7 years ago

The issue here ended up being a failed optic switch in the bottom of the 3-ball popper. I swapped another working optic switch from the Stroke of Luck hole and the issue followed the switch.

Once I order another of these (or swap out the LEDs), i'll be up and running again.

Thanks everyone

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
7,500 (OBO)
4,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions
Other
4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Columbia, MO
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/revenge-from-mars-solenoid-fires-10-times-on-startup and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.