• Latest reply 1 year ago by harig
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bf8872f9c2f0cea586c2d6da497c4dc5fb9cd146 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Does anyone know what will happen if the battery on the prizm card goes dead on a RFM? Will it stop it from booting?

#2 2 years ago

Im not sure it it will keep the game from booting or not. I think it will just default or revert to the original ROM versions on the chips. When mine stopped booting it was because the capacitors on the mother board needed replaced.

If replacing the batteries, the prism card is a BR2325 and motherboard is a standard CR2032. The prism card battery probably wont be at the typical grocery/drug store but you can check. I picked mine up off of Amazon.

If the PC doesn't start up but the marque and coin-door lights do then most likely the 5 capacitors (see pic) on the mother board need replaced. Use 10v 1000uf caps instead of the dinky 6.5v 1000uf. The caps tend to swell and dry out over the years. Recommend using a desoldering station because the motherboard traces are very thin. Lift a trace on this motherboard and it will be expensive to replace

Lots of good information in this thread...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-hillary-come-here-you-gotta-see-this

bf8872f9c2f0cea586c2d6da497c4dc5fb9cd146 (resized).jpgbf8872f9c2f0cea586c2d6da497c4dc5fb9cd146 (resized).jpg

#3 2 years ago

I think it just loses the game settings & audits, which then go to defaults.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Im not sure it it will keep the game from booting or not. I think it will just default or revert to the original ROM versions on the chips. When mine stopped booting it was because the capacitors on the mother board needed replaced.
If replacing the batteries, the prism card is a BR2325 and motherboard is a standard CR2032. The prism card battery probably wont be at the typical grocery/drug store but you can check. I picked mine up off of Amazon.
If the PC doesn't start up but the marque and coin-door lights do then most likely the 5 capacitors (see pic) on the mother board need replaced. Use 10v 1000uf caps instead of the dinky 6.5v 1000uf. The caps tend to swell and dry out over the years. Recommend using a desoldering station because the motherboard traces are very thin. Lift a trace on this motherboard and it will be expensive to replace
Lots of good information in this thread...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-hillary-come-here-you-gotta-see-this
[quoted image]

RGA
weasel671
Pinside member

US Dubois, PA

2y 19,050 86 2

I bought a Revenge From Mars. It played fine for a couple games, then would randomly freeze up then it would not boot back up until it sat awhile. Today I have nothing. The red light on the CPU is on and so is the monitor but the screen is just grey. Won't boot up or load anything just sits there. No playfield lights or anything. I reseated all connectors and ram, changed the CR2032 battery and reseated the prizm board. Right now I have a $3700 paperweight. Please help!

Ryan

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

If the PC doesn't start up but the marque and coin-door lights do then most likely the 5 capacitors (see pic) on the mother board need replaced. Use 10v 1000uf caps instead of the dinky 6.5v 1000uf.

Just FYI, they need to be low ESR.

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CERHL-1000uF-6.3V

Quoted from weasel671:

I bought a Revenge From Mars. It played fine for a couple games, then would randomly freeze up then it would not boot back up until it sat awhile. Today I have nothing.

Might be time to re-cap the motherboard, like Habo mentioned.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Just FYI, they need to be low ESR.
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CERHL-1000uF-6.3V

Might be time to re-cap the motherboard, like Habo mentioned.

Thanks guys. Someone else mentioned it might not boot if the power supply is bad?

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from weasel671:

Thanks guys. Someone else mentioned it might not boot if the power supply is bad?

Yes, that's another big failure point. That should be addressed first.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yes, that's another big failure point. That should be addressed first.

10-4 Thanks

#9 2 years ago

If the power supply is putting out the right voltage on the plug, would you still change it?

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from weasel671:

If the power supply is putting out the right voltage on the plug, would you still change it?

Yes, the original power supplies have typically degraded to the point where they're insufficient under load.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yes, the original power supplies have typically degraded to the point where they're insufficient under load.

Thanks ForceFlow! You're the best!

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from weasel671:

Thanks ForceFlow! You're the best!

Changed out power supply. Still nothing but a grey screen, fluorescent light and a red light on the computer.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from weasel671:

Changed out power supply.

With what?

Keep in mind that depending on what you use, it may require modification.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Pinball_2000_Repair#Power_Problems

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

With what?
Keep in mind that depending on what you use, it may require modification.
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Pinball_2000_Repair#Power_Problems

A brand new 350w AT power supply. Had to change some wires in the connectors so the colors matched the old power supply.

10 months later
#15 1 year ago

When I replace the Prizm battery, do I need to keep the power on? Thanks in advance!

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from Seamlesswall:

When I replace the Prizm battery, do I need to keep the power on? Thanks in advance!

That is not possible as the prism card has to be removed and disassembled to change the battery

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 85.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/revenge-from-mars-prizm-card-battery and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.