(Topic ID: 234673)

Revenge From Mars Power Board Issue -Help Pls!

By mazzaneo

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3221 (resized).jpg
IMG_3224 (resized).jpg
IMG_3220 (resized).jpg
IMG_3219 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I recently tried installing an LCD into my RFM and somewhat stupidly plugged the computer into the mains to test the monitor forgetting that the power supply is set to 110v, the fuse in the power supply blew immediately so i replaced it and the machine seemed to be working again however, on putting it all back together again and using the old crt for testing purposes i came across a new problem.

The power board shows a host of blown fuse errors but when i tested the fuses they are all intact. I don't know where to start in diagnosing the fault on this one!
I have added images of the errors as well a picture of the board whilst on.

As you can see there are a number of leds which are not lit. I tried turning on the machine without the computer too but the board leds still are not lit on those fuses.
I also fiddled with the cables and they all seem to be connected firmly.

I cant imagine that the power supply i blew in the computer can cause such an error can it?

Please help!

Thanks in advance...

Mario

IMG_3219 (resized).jpgIMG_3219 (resized).jpgIMG_3220 (resized).jpgIMG_3220 (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

I should also mention that when I put it back together again after fixing the power supply in the computer the game reverted to what I perceive as factory settings asking me to input region and pricing.
Additionally one of the many times I turned the machine on and off during this fault the 3 Martian inserts on either side of the play field were blinking but very slightly. Note: the machine has led’s.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from mazzaneo:

I should also mention that when I put it back together again after fixing the power supply in the computer the game reverted to what I perceive as factory settings asking me to input region and pricing.
Additionally one of the many times I turned the machine on and off during this fault the 3 Martian inserts on either side of the play field were blinking but very slightly. Note: the machine has led’s.

So all I know is to ask the normal questions people do, did you test the fuses out of the machine, and do the leds change when you have the coin door closed. Sorry all I know is the basics for this one. I hate when I do something silly and make a good game fail, but always always find a solution.

#4 5 years ago

The led’s remain off when the coin door is closed too. Also, the health Led does not turn on at all.
I didn’t test the fuses out of the machine, does that make a difference ?

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from mazzaneo:

The led’s remain off when the coin door is closed too. Also, the health Led does not turn on at all.
I didn’t test the fuses out of the machine, does that make a difference ?

My opinion absolutely not never had one test good in a machine but bad outside of it, but your going to get the question its also a good way to make sure for the real person that can help that your testing using a meter not just eyes, or LED state, or your that exception that proves me wrong. These are small fuses if I recall so perhaps this will be the one thread that makes me a believer in testing out of the game.

#6 5 years ago

I tested all the fuses with a meter and they were good.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from mazzaneo:

I tested all the fuses with a meter and they were good.

So a good chunk of those are coming off J102 if I recall correctly this game has a quick disconnect plug system in the back. Why don't you trace that plug all the way to the playfield unplug replug and see if behavior changes. I would also check the Driver Board but I suspect something came undone in the back when you were working on it.

#8 5 years ago

Seeing as the fuses are showing bad wouldn’t that suggest the problem would be from transformer to power driver board?

#9 5 years ago

Assuming the board itself isn’t damaged that is

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from mazzaneo:

Seeing as the fuses are showing bad wouldn’t that suggest the problem would be from transformer to power driver board?

You have a great point, I just was trying to think what would interrupt power on that many shared inputs but my idea is not logical. My terrible idea is a free bump for better eyes!

#11 5 years ago

Further diagnosis of machine shows:
Service credits button: working
Volume down: working
Volume up: not working
Enter: working
Start: not working
Action buttons left and right: working

I did notice that on occasion the machine would start to beep like in diagnosis and enter a game, tilt and generally go crazy all by itself.
I really don’t know how this relates to the power board.

#12 5 years ago

I've posted additional pics: The roms seem ok but now i'm seeing a switch row shortened which wasn't there before.

I must have a short somewhere because the machine is constantly tilting and resetting and starting games by itself - see video:

Tried resetting the machine via the menu, upon reset it does the same thing.

Would this also affect the Power Driver Board or visa versa?
IMG_3221 (resized).jpgIMG_3221 (resized).jpgIMG_3224 (resized).jpgIMG_3224 (resized).jpg

#13 5 years ago

You likely unseated the parallel cable from the driver board to the computer, somewhere along its path.

Or, it needs to be replaced.

All of your symptoms point to the computer not communicating with the driver board.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

You likely unseated the parallel cable from the driver board to the computer, somewhere along its path.
All of your symptoms point to the computer not communicating with the driver board.
--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

You think that would also account for the power driver board error?

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

Hi Rob,

I reseated the parallel cable and it would seem you were right about all the erratic behaviour. Game seems stable now but it still has the power driver board fuse problem.

#16 5 years ago

Update:

Left the machine on for a while and it reset itself and acted erratic again.The volume down switch seems to be the only switch out of the four which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. When you press volume down it may or may not register. Seems like it only sporadically gets power.
Interestingly I did hear a coil fire at one point while i had the door open (though that disabled the coils)

I will try find sourcing and installing another serial cable.

Meanwhile can anyone confirm if the Power Driver Board fuse array shows like the attached picture when the computer and serial cables are unplugged?
Seems thats a good place to start because that could confirm if the problem is the computer or elsewhere (reminder: i unplugged the computer and the power driver board still showed the same fuses blown even though they were not...see pic).It just feels like power is not being circulated around the playfield.

Switch tests show none on playfield are working, only volume, action buttons and credit controls seem to operate.

#17 5 years ago

Update: I have now removed all cables to playfield and all connection to the computer. The motherboard remains the same only the following fuses show as ok: F108-F109-F110-F111-F112
All other fuses show as blown even though they are not

#18 5 years ago

Update: I have also checked the serial cable with a multimeter and all pins seem to be good, don’t think it’s the cable!

#19 5 years ago

Can anyone who has a pinball 2000 please remove the serial port from the computer and have a look at the Power Driver Board and let me know what fuses are lit (a pic would be great) that will immediately tell me whether it’s a Power Board issue or not.

That would be much appreciated.

#20 5 years ago

Again, your symptoms are consistent with a communication issue between the computer and the driver board.

Could be a loose or bad parallel (not serial) cable between the computer and driver board. Could also be an issue with the motherboard, or the driver board.

From your description of how this began, I'd say your driver board is damaged, if you've ruled out the parallel cable.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

Again, your symptoms are consistent with a communication issue between the computer and the driver board.
Could be a loose or bad parallel (not serial) cable between the computer and driver board. Could also be an issue with the motherboard, or the driver board.
From your description of how this began, I'd say your driver board is damaged, if you've ruled out the parallel cable.
--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

Rob,
I’d imagine that when the computer is disconnected the fuses should still show as functioning if they are ok, is that correct?

#22 5 years ago

No. If there is no communication between the two, the fuse reporting, and the HV fuse LEDs will not function.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

#23 5 years ago

So it may still be the PC?
Makes more sense to be the PC if that’s where the power supply blew

#24 5 years ago

Maybe I should look into a nucore system and see how I go from there, what do you think?

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from mazzaneo:

Maybe I should look into a nucore system and see how I go from there, what do you think?

It would be a good idea to setup a quick nucore system for testing purposes. You don't need to get fancy, just get it going to help figure this out.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from WhiskeyTango:

It would be a good idea to setup a quick nucore system for testing purposes. You don't need to get fancy, just get it going to help figure this out.

Any idea where I can find the roms? Apparently you need the original nucore Roms but I can’t seem to find them. Everything else I have found.

#27 5 years ago

Solved:
Installed a Nucore system and everything is working fine.

FYI for anyone who is showing blown fuses on Pin2k even though they aren't actually broken Borygard is correct:- If there is no communication between the computer and the Power Board, the fuse reporting, and the HV fuse LEDs will not function.

Thanks all

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from mazzaneo:

Solved:
Installed a Nucore system and everything is working fine.
FYI for anyone who is showing blown fuses on Pin2k even though they aren't actually broken Borygard is correct:- If there is no communication between the computer and the Power Board, the fuse reporting, and the HV fuse LEDs will not function.
Thanks all

Glad you got it all worked out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 85.00
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/revenge-from-mars-power-board-issue-help-pls and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.