Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

RFM transistors (resized).jpg
LED3 (resized).PNG
LED3-2 (resized).png
LED3-3 (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

Half the play field lamps of my RFM machine have stopped working. Diagnostics show all lamps on matrix 1 are out. All the fuses check out, and I've reseated all the connectors on the power driver board with no change. The schematics aren't being a lot of help—the connector they identify as carrying Matrix 1 power from the driver board isn't used on my machine (yes, all the lamps used to work, so it's not that something's plugged in wrong.)

Anyone successfully troubleshot a Pinball 2000 machine where an entire lamp matrix went dark?

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from Vicenza:

Half the play field lamps of my RFM machine have stopped working. Diagnostics show all lamps on matrix 1 are out. All the fuses check out, and I've reseated all the connectors on the power driver board with no change. The schematics aren't being a lot of help—the connector they identify as carrying Matrix 1 power from the driver board isn't used on my machine (yes, all the lamps used to work, so it's not that something's plugged in wrong.)
Anyone successfully troubleshot a Pinball 2000 machine where an entire lamp matrix went dark?

So you checked the voltage and ~18VDC was present at the F111 fuse? How about the test point TP1 after, do you have voltage there? Is the lamp drive voltage making it to the drive transistors after that?

#3 4 years ago

Also is LED3 lit?
TP1 is at the top right

LED3-3 (resized).pngLED3-3 (resized).pngLED3-2 (resized).pngLED3-2 (resized).pngLED3 (resized).PNGLED3 (resized).PNG
#4 4 years ago

Should have mention TP6 is GND and it's middle of the Power Driver board

#5 4 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to dig back into the machine (which unfortunately I buttoned back up) and take a look at the things mentioned above.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

So you checked the voltage and ~18VDC was present at the F111 fuse? How about the test point TP1 after, do you have voltage there? Is the lamp drive voltage making it to the drive transistors after that?

My meter is showing 10.0V DC at the F111 fuse, using TP6 as my reference point, so way short of 18V. Checking against other test points on the board, TP4 says it should be 20V and I'm registering 22.4, and TP3 says it should be 50V but I'm reading 67.5V.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from PinNeu:

Also is LED3 lit?
TP1 is at the top right[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

LED 3 is lit, and I'm showing 20.6V at TP1.

#8 4 years ago

Disregard F111 fuse, you must have it there or you would not have proper voltage at TP1. LED is lit - good. Is the voltage making it over to the lamp transistor banks for matrix A? (Q3,Q5,Q7,etc...)

#9 4 years ago

Thanks for all the help so far. I've got the machine opened up again, and here's what I'm finding:

- I'd said lamp matix 1 was out in my original post, it's actually lamp matrix B.
- The schematics I have indicate the connections between the lamps and the power driver board should be through J110. J110 doesn't have anything connected to it on my power driver board (it never has, and the lamps used to work, so I'm guessing the schematic is identifying the wrong connector.)
- The row of transistors with Q6/Q10/Q14/Q18/Q22/Q24/Q28/Q32 on my power driver board are bent over a bit, like they were pressed on hard at some point. Q6 in particular seems sway easier than other transistors on the board when light pressure is applied. As these are the column transistors for lamp matrix B, I'm suspicious the bending over of the transistors weakened traces or solder joints and over time one of them has given out.
- I'm seeing ~22V on the tabs of the row transistors associated with lamp matrix A. I'm only seeing 1.1V on the row transistors for lamp matrix B.
- Test point TP1 (18vA) is regsitering ~22V. TP2 (18vB) shows 0V. Is 18vB used on this machine?

At this point I suspect I'm going to need to pull the power driver board and perform continuity checks for the circuits associated with lamp matrix B, looking for an open. Any other suggestions for things I can try before pulling the board?

Your previous advice has gotten me into the neighborhood, now to nail this failure down...

#10 4 years ago

Here's an image of my RFM power driver board with the partially bent over transistors highlighted.

RFM transistors (resized).jpgRFM transistors (resized).jpg
#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Vicenza:

TP2 (18vB) shows 0V. Is 18vB used on this machine?

Yes. Is F112 blown?

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Yes. Is F112 blown?

Yes, although I would have sworn I'd checked continuity on all the fuses when I first started looking into the problem. I don't have any spares of that type so I tried swapping F111 in to see what happens. It blew as well, so I've got a short on that 18V circuit. Blown transistor that shorted internally, I'm guessing? At this point I think I'm going to have to pull the power board to be able to get access to the transistor leads. I probably won't make the attempt until after Thanksgiving here in the U.S., as I'm hoping to get some replacement fuses and at least have the machine playable (albeit without Matrix B lights) for company we're having over.

Thanks again for the help!

#13 4 years ago

Just unplug the connector to the right of those transistors. D33-D36 make up basically a diode bridge. I think at least one of these 4 are shorted, which would be the cause of the blown fuse. Do a diode test on them to see if one is measuring low/out of spec. You can compare the results against D29-D32, which are good.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Just unplug the connector to the right of those transistors. D33-D36 make up basically a diode bridge. I think at least one of these 4 are shorted, which would be the cause of the blown fuse. Do a diode test on them to see if one is measuring low/out of spec. You can compare the results against D29-D32, which are good.

Good call, I measure a short across D33. I've ordered a replacement part and will be pulling the power driver board when it comes in. Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 85.00
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/revenge-from-mars-matrix-1-lamps-not-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.