Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
button.gif
Screen Shot 2015-04-15 at 2.05.55 PM.png
2.jpg
1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider starsky178.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Anyone has steps I can use to change monitor, I took out old and have a computer monitor, I have no idea how will it power on ? Do I cut the plug end and ...... I do have the Pinball 2000 CGA/VGA Converter , but have no idea the steps. If anyone has pics and could share I would appreciate very much thanks.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from JamesH007:

I would try to reuse the original or get an original replacement if possible, what was wrong with your old one ? I have played with LCD and do not like the way it looks vs the original, not to mention mounting and converting. Was your original a Ducksan monitor or Wells Garner ?

I have to check to see which one it is.

#8 9 years ago

I took everything out , wonder if I can put it all back , since I thought it was going to be easy as they say plug and play .

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from JamesH007:

I would try to reuse the original or get an original replacement if possible, what was wrong with your old one ? I have played with LCD and do not like the way it looks vs the original, not to mention mounting and converting. Was your original a Ducksan monitor or Wells Garner ?

I just turned it on and everything was on except the monitor.

2 weeks later
#12 9 years ago
Quoted from swanng:

Just replacing the caps on a monitor chassis is a shot in the dark. It could be an open or out of tolerance resistor. It could be a problem potentiometer. It could be an open or shorted diode or transistor. It could be cold solder joints. It could be ANY number of things on the chassis, neck board, or tube. And if you're not a trained technician or engineer with excellent soldering skills, the right tools for the job, and the CORRECT schematics for your chassis, the chances of screwing your monitor up even worse than it was before are pretty darn good.
Just my .02. Take it or leave it.
Greg

Thanks .... Too hit all out .... Will see where I go from there .

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

I think it is all preference. The black/brightness looks great on my LCD. Something as subtle as masking off the edges of the LCD to imitate the shape of a CRT can make a huge difference "Rounding the corners". Also, with the monitor and the converter board they both have a lot of adjustment options. You can get a very dark black. Also, installing a LCD/LED monitor with a plug and play converter takes only a few minutes. If you get the correct size LCD "about $40+ on ebay or amazon used" you don't even need a bracket, just 4 screws and 4 washers. My install, from removing the monitor, adding the converter, installing the LCD took about 30mins.
In my opinion, text and everything else is so much more vivid and sharper with an LCD/LED. The machine is much lighter, produces less heat and uses almost no energy. But, I wont argue. A nice CRT still looks very good.

I took everything out , now I'm scratching my head .... Ordered the converter and the chip I'm supposed to add to it but just need a little help , can you add a few pics , on your set up , I see I could power the lcd from the top of computer with the power that's available on rear of computer..... Sorry but just never worked on RFM , it's just a whole new for me

#15 9 years ago

I see how times have changed and from the way someone has done it in 2010 and 2014 , things do improve , and have developed , so I'm looking to do it the best but not always the easy way.

#18 9 years ago

Thanks so much for taking out the time to help me , I will also add pics of my steps as I go on .

#20 9 years ago

When you used that converter , you didn't need to attach the SN74LS02N chip? Cause the one that I have .... It's the same but doesn't have that grey adapter.

#22 9 years ago

I cancelled everything and waited for your response. I feel the easiest and clean looking way would be better. Thanks again.

#24 9 years ago

It will be awhile but will update with pics as I go on , thanks again.

1 week later
#26 9 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

You can also plug the new monitor into the extra aux 120VAC plug on the PC if you have the original. That way it will come up at the same time and auto detect the video. Might need an adapter like this

image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Thanks I was planning to power the monitor from that location. If I could get one with 2 on the end would it be good to power the monitor and get the 5 v adapter plug and plug both in from that location?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 85.00
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider starsky178.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/revenge-from-mars-changing-old-monitor-for-new-lcd?tu=starsky178 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.