(Topic ID: 249202)

Revenge From Mars, blowing F100 Fuse, Burning Coil 2 diff machines.

By splittingatoms

12 days ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 days ago by splittingatoms
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 days ago

#revenge-from-mars is the second table I've ever owned and I bought 2 at the same time. I'm a little green when it comes to pinball repair, but have several arcade games that I work on so I'm not totally incompetent when it comes to soldering and electronics repair and diagnostics.

When purchased:

RFM #1 has the better of the two playfields but has an LCD screen swap. Software Version 1.2
RFM #2 has a more worn playfield and is rougher in general but has the original CRT. Software Version 1.1

Both games, are apparently German re-imports.

When buying, both machines worked. I was able to play them both at the time of purchase but only briefly because the balls he had were rough and several posts didn't have any rubber, they both needed immediate maintenance. We just basically tested functionality quickly, no time was put into playing the game.

RFM #2 was the first machine I got home. After cleaning and making a bit more playable I fired it up. Just a couple games in and the auto plunger stopped firing. I didn't have time to diagnose at the time.

RFM #1 was retrieved, cleaned and made playable and I was able to get several games out of it. The "stroke of Luck" popper was really worn out but everything seemed to be working well.

Now the fun begins. Decided I was going to swap playfields to the cabinet with the CRT that I wanted. I took the playfield from #1 and put it into #2. Remembered "Oh yeah, the auto plunger isn't working. Go into the menus, see fuse F100 is out. Replace fuse. Machine is up and running. I'm off to the save the world.

In a few moments I start to smell something burning. See smoke under the playfield. PANIC! Shut off machine, lift playfield, and have a hard time sourcing the smoke. Turns out it's the coil for the "right jet bumper" and it's too hot to touch. Remove from playfield. the little plates that hold the popper device had broken (on all the bumpers actually) So I rob from one game to fix the other. Get everything what I think is going to be golden, replaced coil sleeves, everything looks to be perfect. Replace fuse.

Fire it up and things seem to be good. Boots. Able to start a game play for a little bit. Auto fire stops. Fuse blown. same coil starts to smoke.

Okay, advice from friends tells me resistor. Look on the board, there's a transistor that's been very poorly replaced. I'll have to get to that.

So, replace 2nd burnt coil (bad enough that I couldn't get a new sleeve in or out on both one's that burnt), and move playfield BACK over to RFM #1 cabinet.

Now, upon firing it up, F100 fuse blows during boot process. I don't give it enough time to burn the coil (or if it even would).

Any thoughts or opinions on this? Again, I'm a bit new to the pinball repair process so any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

#2 12 days ago

Welcome to Pinside.

Time to dig into your manual, find out which transistor drives that coil, and test it. If there is a pre-driver transistor test that too. Also test any diodes associated with that coil.

#3 11 days ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Welcome to Pinside.
Time to dig into your manual, find out which transistor drives that coil, and test it. If there is a pre-driver transistor test that too. Also test any diodes associated with that coil.

Thank you for the response. I have a manual and I'll get to digging.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
3,475 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
Boards
PCB Emporium
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Trade
Machine - For Trade
San Mateo, CA

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside