Topic Stats

• 70 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by mattosborn
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 16 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

converter (resized).png
cga_sync_adapter_assembled2.jpg
cga_sync_adapter_assembled3.jpg
IMG_4203.jpg
pin2k_cga_to_vga_pci_header_layout.png
IMG_4056.jpg
image.jpg
H+V Sync Combiner.jpg
IMG_0104.JPG
IMG_0098.JPG
IMG_0103.JPG
IMG_0102.JPG
IMG_0100.JPG
IMG_0099.JPG
IMG_0914.JPG
IMG_0915.JPG

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Well, my monitor took a crap on Saturday so it's time for me to read up on this switch out. Doesn't seem too terrible.

Awe man....beyond repair?

#52 3 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Awe man....beyond repair?

Not really sure. Game will power on and play but no monitor. I'd been wanting to install the LCD display anyway.

#54 3 years ago
Quoted from Crashnburn:

Applejuice, will this put 5v on pin 9 on the VGA connection so you do not need a video amp if you are keeping it stock?

Currently that pin is wired as per the original card, though I can add this to future runs if it's something that's wanted.

You can currently choose between original mode and sync converted mode

#55 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Not really sure. Game will power on and play but no monitor. I'd been wanting to install the LCD display anyway.

As long as your tube had a good picture, the chasis can be sent out for repair very reasonably.

When my monitor died (tube bad)... I spent too much trying different LCD panels but was never satisfied as they all put out too much light in their black. Its not something you notice when normally viewing but in P2K excess light up there is very noticeable, for me at least.

In the end I found a new tube monitor and love it.

#56 3 years ago

Hmm, will have to consider the options. Thanks for the suggestions.

2 months later
#57 2 years ago

tiger:
my guess is that you might just need to put a new cap kit in your monitor. do you get any picture at all? or does the monitor make any noise when you power up the machine?

if you're comfortable soldering, then it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I've done about 5-6 now for arcade monitors and this is no different. just make sure that you ground and short out the flyback before working on it (the voltage stored up in those large capacitors is enough to kill you

#58 2 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

my guess is that you might just need to put a new cap kit in your monitor. do you get any picture at all? or does the monitor make any noise when you power up the machine?

Thanks for the response! It just kind of goes on and off. The game still plays, just with no monitor. Loose connection I'm sure. I've been pretty tied up the last month or so, hope to getting around to this soon.

#59 2 years ago

FWIW The converter pcb will work by itself without a sync dongle added. The old converter with one vga out are the problem pcb's, With this pcb go into menu >> geometry and adjust the v position to like 28 and see if it will sync. The newer converter with 2 vga's out will sync with no issues without the sync adapter too.

#60 2 years ago
Quoted from Brtlkat:

FWIW The converter pcb will work by itself without a sync dongle added. The old converter with one vga out are the problem pcb's, With this pcb go into menu >> geometry and adjust the v position to like 28 and see if it will sync. The newer converter with 2 vga's out will sync with no issues without the sync adapter.

New style pcb

converter (resized).png

2 years later
#61 10 months ago

This might be a stupid question but why can’t you just plug the lcd monitor straight into the computer with a vga cable?

Thanks in advance

#62 10 months ago
Quoted from mazzaneo:

why can’t you just plug the lcd monitor straight into the computer with a vga cable?

This will not work because you have to convert the output from CGA to VGA.

#63 10 months ago
Quoted from mazzaneo:

This might be a stupid question but why can’t you just plug the lcd monitor straight into the computer with a vga cable?
Thanks in advance

Because the video resolution out is not compatible with what a modern LCD can understand. Pinball 2000 computers do not output vga natively when the prism is connected

#64 10 months ago

Struggling to find 74ls02 locally, I’ve found 74ls09 and 7402. Can anyone recommend an alternative if any?

Thanks in advance

#65 10 months ago

I guess the question is... can I use the 7402 instead of the 74LS02?

3 weeks later
#66 9 months ago

If anyone is switching to an LCD that has the original WG monitor, I would like to buy the CRT from you. I'm not a fan of LCDs and I have the crappy non-WG monitor in mine. Thanks.

#67 9 months ago
Quoted from robotron911:

If anyone is switching to an LCD that has the original WG monitor, I would like to buy the CRT from you. I'm not a fan of LCDs and I have the crappy non-WG monitor in mine. Thanks.

Your best bet might be to try to steal one from an arcade game. I’d post a wanted on an arcade forum like klov.com.

#68 9 months ago
Quoted from shirkle:

Your best bet might be to try to steal one from an arcade game. I’d post a wanted on an arcade forum like klov.com.

Thanks. I've looked. The issue is it's a 7300 series monitor, which is not common in arcades. I'm following some leads and I hope to find one.

#69 9 months ago
Quoted from robotron911:

Thanks. I've looked. The issue is it's a 7300 series monitor, which is not common in arcades. I'm following some leads and I hope to find one.

Sorry, didn’t mean to give misinformation. I believe my SWEp1 has a replacement monitor. From memory, the wiring just needed swapped around a little. I’ll check it later and take a picture if you want. I haven’t looked in the back of that game since giving it a cap kit about 6 years ago.

#70 9 months ago
Quoted from robotron911:

It doesn’t need to be that model. You can make any 19” standard res color monitor work in there.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 67.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
MicksPinball
3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Des Moines, IA
3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Commack, NY
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside