(Topic ID: 280393)

Reusing Bally SCR lamps with a matrix style controller

By ThatOneDude

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 3.02.15 PM (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 3.02.30 PM (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 3.03.04 PM (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 3.00.28 PM (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

So, I have a question about how to approach a problem. I have a Bally playfield that I'm wiring up to a new controller. The solenoids and switches are fairly straightforward. The playfield is a Strange Science, and it has SCR driven lamps. From my count, I think it has somewhere in the neighborhood of 90 controlled lamps. The controller that I'm using has a standard 8x8 matrix. This poses two problems. One is that I've got a limit of 64 lamps. I can get past this by adding a second bank of rows(using a couple of outputs from the MPU to drive 16 transistors), which would give me 128 lamps.
    But the other is the wiring. The existing lamps are driven with linked grounds(I believe that this is the phase A, B, C and D mentioned in the manual). Doesn't map well to a matrix style.
    I have a few options.
    1) Replace the lamp wiring with a matrix. This would limit me to 64 lamps unless I extend it as mentioned above.
    2) Replace the lamp wiring with serial LEDs. A lot more wiring, and would waste the RGB capabilities of the lamps.
    3) Figure out a scheme to connect the existing wiring to a matrix. Ideal, but probably impossible.
    I suppose 4 would be to build a compatible lamp board and drive it from a microcontroller. That would waste the lamp matrix capabilities of the new controller, but would largely avoid rewiring the lamps.

Thoughts?

#2 3 years ago

No thoughts?

#3 3 years ago

I would keep the existing wiring for the matrix and use serial or direct LEDs for any addional or new lights. That would be the easiest way in my opinion.

#4 3 years ago

Well, if the lamps were completely independent, this would work. But they aren't. I posted some screen shots.
    So, I'm thinking that I'll pull every lamp socket off. Then, I'll wire in an 8x16 matrix. The idea is that I'll have 2 different commands from the APC, and there will be an additional board with 16 transistors that will select which set of rows to use.

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 3.00.28 PM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2020-10-30 at 3.00.28 PM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2020-10-30 at 3.02.15 PM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2020-10-30 at 3.02.15 PM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2020-10-30 at 3.02.30 PM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2020-10-30 at 3.02.30 PM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2020-10-30 at 3.03.04 PM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2020-10-30 at 3.03.04 PM (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reusing-bally-scr-lamps-with-a-matrix-style-controller and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.