4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by xTheBlackKnightx
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20160304_054906_(resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

So me and my friend Buck grew up in the heyday of pinball and the american arcades. On a trip to his grandparents house in the early 80's is when I really discovered pinball. They had a silverball mania in their basement and we'd play for hours for free. It's was endless and it was beautiful. He later inherited that silverball mania but had no where to put it so a local bar owner "friend" of ours put it on location. We'd go to rock shows at the bar and play and play until one day it was gone. Where'd it go? He traded it off to his vendor for another game. WTF? Fast forward 20 years later, Buck bought a new house and I followed up on a CL ad for a silverball mania. A house warming present was in order. I loaded it into the van, brought it to his new house, told him I had a chair that he may want to fill that new house and proceeded to pull the blanket off the silverball mania and watched his eyes light up. Some things are meant to come home.
    Got any pin homecoming stories?

#2 4 years ago

Is this the story you meant to tell in the other thread??

#3 4 years ago

Sorry,the "hayday" of pinball was over before you were born!!!

#4 4 years ago

Great story op! I dont understand why as soon as someone posts something here there has to be those people that jump on just to shit on everything with negativity. Anyway....youre friend is pretty lucky to have a buddy like you. That is an excellent gift! Pinball and nostalgia! You know..my birthday is coming up...

#5 4 years ago

Yes I messed up the topic and the other thread ran away. Everyday is the heyday of pinball for me. I just thought I'd share this and see if anyone else has any feel good stories. Especially of pins coming back home after years away.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from dannylite:

Yes I messed up the topic and the other thread ran away. Everyday is the heyday of pinball for me. I just thought I'd share this and see if anyone else has any feel good stories. Especially of pins coming back home after years away.

Nice!!! Wasn't dumpin on the thread topic was legit wondering!

Not one of my pins, but a few stories from others perspective: was play testing a flying carpet before being delivered and an older gentleman walked into the shop unannounced. he was asking about purchasing a machine and eventually got on to how he used to always go up to the top of his street and play a game called flying carpet at and old corner store near his home( from where he was standing was only able to see the back of the machine) he made some old timer remark about how they don't make em like that anymore, and even if such a rare gem was still around probably would be out of price range for anyone besides a king. I'll never forget the light in his eyes when I showed him what I was playing, told him how much we were letting this one go for, and let him fire it up for a few games before it needed to be delivered. This seventy year old became seventeen right before my eyes!!!

#7 4 years ago

Another was an old Liberty belle. A grandmother had hidden it away in her basement and never told her kids or grandkids she had kept it. When she passed, the youngest found it and took it to us. It was so crummy... Perhaps in the worst shape of any. All of the grandkids had carved their names into the front of the cab and written in marker all over it. The youngest hadn't told the others about having it, and we made a "surprise" delivery to his house while all of his family was still in town and staying with him. They all just assumed it was any old pinball machine until they saw the front of the cab and were sent careening down memory lane at a million miles per hour. It was quite the feel trip for me and my co worker

#8 4 years ago

I built an Eight Ball Deluxe "Classic" from the parts of five different machines in 2004.

Brass plaque #527 (TBK)

Playfield #521 was superb condition and came out of a garage. It was fully wired.
    Lower cabinet #1088 came out of a barn.
    Backbox #321 from Ebay.
    Backglass #888 came from a fellow collector friend.
    Transformer and lower cabinet parts from a Paragon.
    Boards from old Fathom that was parted out.
    Displays from old Stern and other Bally games.
    Wire harness was spare parts from something.

Spent 200+ hours putting it back together and cleaning and shopping the "game".
    Spent another 100+ hours hand painting the decaled cabinet back to factory condition with enamel paint pens.

Sold the game in 2004 to another collector friend for $2000.

In 2016, 12 years later, the same collector sold it back to me for $500 more than I sold it. He had dragged it to every show in the west coast for over 10 years.

Bought it out of nostalgia.
    Game after re-restoration looks nearly identical.
    Thousands of plays.

IMG_20160304_054906_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 10.95
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 750.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Lighting - Interactive
    Cobra Amusements
    $ 39.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Concealed Art
    $ 269.99
    $ 25.50
    $ 45.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 68.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Professor Pinball
    Playfield - Protection
    Pinball Haus
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 1,099.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 38.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 1,099.00
    Boards
    KAHR.US Circuits
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 9.95
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Pimp
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside