(Topic ID: 189284)

Retro Refurbs decal installation... ***COMPLETED*** Johnny looks spiffy again..

By cosmokramer

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by insx
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

original-alignment (resized).jpg
483 (resized).jpg
484 (resized).jpg
482 (resized).jpg
480 (resized).jpg
477 (resized).jpg
476 (resized).jpg
474 (resized).jpg
290 (resized).jpg
johnny (resized).jpg
20170517_181857 (resized).jpg
20170517_180131 (resized).jpg
20170517_170955 (resized).jpg
20170517_145103 (resized).jpg
20170517_143132 (resized).jpg
20170517_133932 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I picked up a Johnny a few months back from a friend and it suffered from awful cabinet fade. The Playfield was in great shape and the game played well. I shopped it out for last year with new rubbers and LEDs when he owned it.
If I was going to re decal a game like Monster Bash or Medieval Madness I would most certainly purchase the highest quality decals I could find. However, with this game I'm going to try some of the less expensive options available from overseas. I'm going to cut some corners on the process for this game because frankly I just don't want to put in the work needed to do it absolutely correctly.
Here is our subject...

20170428_074722 (resized).jpg20170428_074722 (resized).jpg
20170428_075327 (resized).jpg20170428_075327 (resized).jpg
20170428_080842 (resized).jpg20170428_080842 (resized).jpg
20170428_075146 (resized).jpg20170428_075146 (resized).jpg

As you can see all the red is gone, of course with the exception of under the legs.
I ordered a set of decals from Retro Refurbs, after currency conversion and shipping it was about $220. I received and Email from Pete at Retro Refurbs saying that the Johnny decals shipped, but there was an error on the file that was used (font was different). He told me not to use the first set that was coming but to wait for a second set, they arrived a few weeks later. My initial impression was that the decals looked good and felt fairly heavy duty.
Thanks to Pete for noticing the error and presenting a quick solution before I even knew there was an issue.

#2 6 years ago

Just a disclaimer: This is not a "how to" guide, this is just a documentation of how I did it. I am willing to bet there is a better way to do every step shown here.

Now begins the teardown, this will be much easier than my Pinbot project (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-attempt-at-cabinet-restoration-lets-see-how-it-turns-out) and should go much quicker. Unlike my Pinbot there is no main harness disconnect between the boards and the playfield, this means each connector must be removed from the boards and labeled. Once that was done I removed the legs and lowered the cabinet to the floor making it much easier to pull the playfield out by myself...
20170428_195007 (resized).jpg20170428_195007 (resized).jpg
20170428_211805 (resized).jpg20170428_211805 (resized).jpg

Then removed coin door, start button and flipper buttons. For the side rails I removed the bolt from the end and then used a heat gun to soften the glue so I could slide a putty knife between the rail and cab and carefully work my way down the cabinet. They came off nice and straight...
20170428_214755 (resized).jpg20170428_214755 (resized).jpg
20170428_214816_001 (resized).jpg20170428_214816_001 (resized).jpg

Then just worked through removing the head from the cabinet, I decided I would leave all the boards in the head to save time. I did however remove the transformer from the cab just to make it easier to move around. I labeled and stored all my parts and moved the cabinet and head to the garage for decal removal.

#3 6 years ago

Ok, lets be honest...this part sucks. Using a heat gun and a putty knife took hours to remove the original decals...

20170507_180100 (resized).jpg20170507_180100 (resized).jpg

#4 6 years ago

Finally done, this was by far the worst part of this project...I know there are tools (Festool etc.) that would complete this job in minutes rather than hours.

20170515_124019 (resized).jpg20170515_124019 (resized).jpg

#5 6 years ago

After inspecting the cabinet I found one corner split. I opened the joint a bit to allow wood glue to get in, the strapped the cab nice and tight and installed 2 wood screws for extra support. The heads of the screws were countersunk and will be covered with bondo during the cab repair. I used a plastic bag (I was out of wax paper) to keep from glueing the strap to the cabinet...

20170515_140356 (resized).jpg20170515_140356 (resized).jpg

#6 6 years ago

Next step was bondo and sanding. Not much damage to the cab or head so this part went quick. Plus, like I said, I'm not trying real hard on this project for perfection. Had to sand off the glue residue from the original decals, it came off pretty easy with a palm sander and 150 grit.

20170515_154943 (resized).jpg20170515_154943 (resized).jpg
20170517_132048 (resized).jpg20170517_132048 (resized).jpg

#7 6 years ago

In the meantime I laid out the decals flat to relieve some of the curling from the shipping tube.

20170517_122004 (resized).jpg20170517_122004 (resized).jpg

#8 6 years ago

Wiped the head down with naptha to clean of any bondo dust and began to install decals. I was afraid that the decal may be easy to scratch or stretch but neither of those were the case. They seem very durable. I used the hinge method of installing decals, smoothed out with a plastic squeege wrapped in felt and trimmed the edges about 1/16 " from the edge. If I was doing a high-end restoration I would have painted the cabinet and sanded in between coats to get a glass-like finish but since this is the quick version I used a sharpie to touch up the edges. It worked great, after the first decal I began to color the edges with the sharpie before laying down the decal. That worked even better.

20170517_132052 (resized).jpg20170517_132052 (resized).jpg

20170517_132538 (resized).jpg20170517_132538 (resized).jpg

20170517_133932 (resized).jpg20170517_133932 (resized).jpg

#9 6 years ago

Then proceeded to install front decal. I did not have to put anything to support the decal over the coin door hole...it was stiff enough to just lay it over. Then cut out for buttons and bolts...

20170517_143132 (resized).jpg20170517_143132 (resized).jpg
20170517_145103 (resized).jpg20170517_145103 (resized).jpg

#10 6 years ago

One side done...went on pretty easy without another set of hands to help with the large decal. I found out that the red on the front does not quite line up with the red on the sides but its pretty close. I also found out that even wrapping the squeege in felt it still left some very fine scratches in the black. You can barely see them under bright flourescent light when you are very close. I doubt anyone would ever see them...

20170517_170955 (resized).jpg20170517_170955 (resized).jpg

#11 6 years ago

All done with decals. Time to start re assembly. Overall it was a very easy process, with the exception of removing old decals. I am very happy with the decals from Retro Refurbs, overall I would give them a "B"...the only real issue I had was the art not lining up (not by much, just about 1/4") but other than that they look great.

20170517_180131 (resized).jpg20170517_180131 (resized).jpg

20170517_181857 (resized).jpg20170517_181857 (resized).jpg

#12 6 years ago

That'll look nice next to Pin*Bot.

I just can't get over how much the red had faded (and mostly so evenly. The new decals do look nice though.

#13 6 years ago

Ordered a set of Congo & Indianapolis500 from Retro..

Will see how they look

#14 6 years ago

First, thanks for documenting all of this.

Quoted from cosmokramer:

Ok, lets be honest...this part sucks. Using a heat gun and a putty knife took hours to remove the original decals...

About how many hours did this process take?

#15 6 years ago

What tool/sander would you recommend to sand the cabinet? Heat gun? I plan on doing a DESW and was just thinking a regular sander.

#16 6 years ago

Wow this is great. Looks like you are doing a really good job, and I love to see people using our decals.

1 small tip I must give you - now that you've got the all the decals done, you should go over them with a soft cloth (like a microfiber) and your hot air gun. Heat and smooth, should take you about 10 mins to do the whole cab.

This will help with 2 things - firstly, the adhesive will set permantly after they've cooled and been left to settle, and more importantly any fine scratches will be disappear completely. Gone!! Likewise if there's any wrinkles or areas not worked into the wood properly this will also solve that.

Lastly I wanted to ask, are you taking your photos using the camera flash? The reds look a little pinky which usually happens with camera flash. When I photographed them under natural light you can see the red is much deeper:

johnny (resized).jpgjohnny (resized).jpg

Pete
Retro Refurbs

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

First, thanks for documenting all of this.

About how many hours did this process take?

about 4 hours

Quoted from Butch2099:

What tool/sander would you recommend to sand the cabinet? Heat gun? I plan on doing a DESW and was just thinking a regular sander.

I used a small palm sander with 150 grit after removing the decal with the heat gun. it quickly removed the glue residue and leveled the areas that had bondo applied

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from RetroRefurbs:

Wow this is great. Looks like you are doing a really good job, and I love to see people using our decals.
1 small tip I must give you - now that you've got the all the decals done, you should go over them with a soft cloth (like a microfiber) and your hot air gun. Heat and smooth, should take you about 10 mins to do the whole cab.
This will help with 2 things - firstly, the adhesive will set permantly after they've cooled and been left to settle, and more importantly any fine scratches will be disappear completely. Gone!! Likewise if there's any wrinkles or areas not worked into the wood properly this will also solve that.
Lastly I wanted to ask, are you taking your photos using the camera flash? The reds look a little pinky which usually happens with camera flash. When I photographed them under natural light you can see the red is much deeper:

Pete
Retro Refurbs

Thanks for the tip, I will heat and smooth them later tonight.
I did use a flash, the red is deeper in person. The decals are much thicker, stronger and easier to apply than I thought they would be.
Nice product Pete.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from RetroRefurbs:

Pete
Retro Refurbs

The heat gun with the micro fiber cloth did a great job of setting the decals. I could see the decal "grab" the cabinet as the heat passed over. In the areas where the decal was covering a bolt hole in the cab it would dimple in a bit and stay that way. I also wanted to point out that not only did the heat erase the micro scratches, it caused the small air bubbles trapped under the decal to expand...making them larger and more noticeable, and easier to push to the edge and remove.
This last step made a big difference.

#20 6 years ago

Tips on this thread noted! Can't wait to put my hands on a set of chrome T2 cabinet decals, huh Pete?

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

The heat gun with the micro fiber cloth did a great job of setting the decals. I could see the decal "grab" the cabinet as the heat passed over. In the areas where the decal was covering a bolt hole in the cab it would dimple in a bit and stay that way. I also wanted to point out that not only did the heat erase the micro scratches, it caused the small air bubbles trapped under the decal to expand...making them larger and more noticeable, and easier to push to the edge and remove.
This last step made a big difference.

YES!! See, no one believes me when I tell them this haha! I gotta get that video done...

Congrats again on an excellent job!

Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Tips on this thread noted! Can't wait to put my hands on a set of chrome T2 cabinet decals, huh Pete?

Huh, Alex, huh!

#23 6 years ago

nice work dude... I might actually have the balls to try it someday after seeing this!

#24 6 years ago

Nice write up. And Makes me feel a little more confident about their product. Hopefully i will order some later this year.

#25 6 years ago

Is there a video of this somewhere?
Did he mean he Gatta that video done.. or he's gotta get that video done ?

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

the only real issue I had was the art not lining up (not by much, just about 1/4") but other than that they look great.

So, is it possible the that side art was slid just a bit too far forward, and thus the 1/4 inch misalignment to the front after trimming the side? Was the front applied first so you had a reference point? Just a thought given 20/20 hindsight.

Mac

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

Is there a video of this somewhere?
Did he mean he Gatta that video done.. or he's gotta get that video done ?

He (meaning I) mean't "I gotta get that video done..."

It'll be out soon!

Pete
Retro Refurbs

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from Sheprd:

So, is it possible the that side art was slid just a bit too far forward, and thus the 1/4 inch misalignment to the front after trimming the side? Was the front applied first so you had a reference point? Just a thought given 20/20 hindsight.
Mac

No, I didn't trim the front of the side pieces. I lined up the front and the bottom and just had to trim the top and back.
I laid the decals out before installation or any trimming to check for alignment and they were just a bit off.

I should note that you should always install the front decal first, then line up the sides to the front...if you install both sides first you wont be able to line up the front.

#29 6 years ago

Great job!. Thanks for documenting. After reading of your hours of heating and scraping...I need to find an easier way to get the decals off. Just got my decals for IJ.

#30 6 years ago

In retrospect you would have been better to have the top of the red line up figuring the bottom is covered by the legs. Still it looks really good, big improvement for the time invested.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from bam10:

In retrospect you would have been better to have the top of the red line up figuring the bottom is covered by the legs. Still it looks really good, big improvement for the time invested.

I wanted to do that but I would have had the side decal too high avove the bottom of the cab...I should have put the front decals on just about 1/4" lower, then I could have lined up the red at the top and hidden the mis alignment under the legs. I learned quite a bit. Next time it will come out better.

#32 6 years ago

Refinished the coin door and legs, buffed leg bolts and lock cylinder...I am very happy with the transformation

290 (resized).jpg290 (resized).jpg
474 (resized).jpg474 (resized).jpg
476 (resized).jpg476 (resized).jpg
477 (resized).jpg477 (resized).jpg

480 (resized).jpg480 (resized).jpg
482 (resized).jpg482 (resized).jpg
484 (resized).jpg484 (resized).jpg
483 (resized).jpg483 (resized).jpg

#33 6 years ago

The only problem I had when I was finished was that the game would not boot. No display, no gi or insert lights...nothing.
After troubleshooting I found one of the display ribbon cables was off by a row of pins...after a quick check of the rest of them, it booted and played with no addition issues.

#34 6 years ago

Hi, thanks for documenting your steps. The result looks great!

If I understood correctly, your intention was to cut some corners like skipping the paintwork. So, now that all is fine, how do you look back at the process when you compare this to your more "extensive" efforts done earlier?
Also, do you believe there may be even more things to do more efficiently? For example, I was wondering if you could just apply such a new decal on top of the old one (maybe with some primer or sanding step in between)?

#35 6 years ago

Thanks for posting, looks really good.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from ATTack:

Hi, thanks for documenting your steps. The result looks great!
If I understood correctly, your intention was to cut some corners like skipping the paintwork. So, now that all is fine, how do you look back at the process when you compare this to your more "extensive" efforts done earlier?
Also, do you believe there may be even more things to do more efficiently? For example, I was wondering if you could just apply such a new decal on top of the old one (maybe with some primer or sanding step in between)?

I have to say that although I didn't put in much effort in prepping everything, it really is hard to find something to complain about. I was afraid that the extensive black areas would show more blemishes. But, to be fair, the cab was in really good shape to begin with so the results are skewed in my favor. If it were a more in depth restoration I would have primed and painted the cab, wet sanding in between coats. I also would have painted the inside of the head and cab, sanded the underside of the cab to give it a "new" look, replace legs, bolts and levelers etc etc

Im not sure how it would come out if you tried to put them on over the originals

Overall it is a pretty easy process...it basically took one weekend. I took the game apart on a Friday evening, then was able to re-decal and reassemble on Sat and Sun...was playing again Sunday night.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I have to say that although I didn't put in much effort in prepping everything, it really is hard to find something to complain about. I was afraid that the extensive black areas would show more blemishes. But, to be fair, the cab was in really good shape to begin with so the results are skewed in my favor. If it were a more in depth restoration I would have primed and painted the cab, wet sanding in between coats. I also would have painted the inside of the head and cab, sanded the underside of the cab to give it a "new" look, replace legs, bolts and levelers etc etc
Im not sure how it would come out if you tried to put them on over the originals
Overall it is a pretty easy process...it basically took one weekend. I took the game apart on a Friday evening, then was able to re-decal and reassemble on Sat and Sun...was playing again Sunday night.

Thanks! I noticed Retrorefurbs also sells decals for TSPP. Think I will give it a go to refresh mine.

4 months later
#38 6 years ago

Great thread @cosmokramer! Thanks for sharing. I loved the heat gun soft cloth idea.

I'm really curious to know how the decals compare with PPS.

Anyhow, way to turn a game look around in a week-end! Grats buddy!

4 months later
#39 6 years ago

Regarding the alignment issue, this is what my original cabinet art looks like.

original-alignment (resized).jpgoriginal-alignment (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Boards
Slap Save Creations

Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.00
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.50
€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/retro-refurb-decal-installationjohnny-needs-a-new-suit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.