New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 264616)

Retro Pinball-What Happened

By Skidave

7 months ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by EMsInKC
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200321_110722 (resized).jpg
    20200321_110812 (resized).jpg

#1 7 months ago

It has been a good time to clean out files and update documents. I went through some of my pinball documents and found this old brochure for Retro Pinball. Anyone know the story?

20200321_110722 (resized).jpg20200321_110812 (resized).jpg
    #2 7 months ago

They made some, but not a lot of interest

#3 7 months ago

Made by Herb Silvers of Fabulous Fantasies and manufactured in Asia somewhere as I recall. (China?).
    I was all set to buy it back then, right up until I found out the playfield was an overlay and not screen printed. That in itself is what killed this concept, IMO.

#4 7 months ago

I read a blurb somewhere that Herb had written. He had the project all set up and ready to go when the company, I believe it was Stern, pulled out of the agreement at the "last minute" so to speak. At least I "THINK" it was Stern. He got stuck holding the short end of the stick. For sure the back glasses were already done because I bought one of those as a replacement for a KOD I "restored". He had them up on Ebay and listed them along the lines for 150$ I think about 10 at a time. Obviously he had everything on hus end completed but the playfield was coming from somewhere else along with the actual put them altogether. I cannot recall if he was going to put them together or the company he had the agreement with.
    I just am not sure if I have the correct reference to Stern, the number he put on Ebay at a time but the "nut' of my story is true.
    Ive purchased reproductions of 2 backglasses from him. First was a NORTH STAR about 02 or 03. Then the KOD one a few years ago. I thought both were really well done. The NORTH STAR was glass, The KOD was plastic.

#5 7 months ago

They looked like EMs but didn't play like one. Great idea but in practice not so good.

#6 7 months ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

They looked like EMs but didn't play like one. Great idea but in practice not so good.

Are you kidding me? This is a FANTASTIC game to play and I thoroughly enjoy it. CLASSIC game with subtle tweaking

#7 7 months ago

I remember hearing about RP King of Diamonds back in 2005. They had one at the 2006 Pinball Fantasy show in Las Vegas NV. Then there wasn't much news about the machine for about four years. Then in 2010, they finally released the machine and a limited number of the machines went up for sale. At that time only 50 machines were available. I think they had them priced at around $3700.

As I recall, people were complaining that the price of the machine was too high. At $3700, you could buy a modern DMD machine back then.

Pinball News had a very detailed review about the machine:

https://www.pinballnews.com/games/kingofdiamonds/index2.html

They have the first hand built RP King of Diamonds for sale now on Ebay for....... $25K !?!?

ebay.com link » Prototype One Of One Retro Pinball King Of Diamonds Pinball Machine

#8 7 months ago

I think the recession in 2008-2009 had something to do with the belated rollout and failure of sales on the game and
    maybe it was just a bit ahead of its time, with the pinball resurgence coming a bit later.
    Reinnie are you out there? Want to put your 2 cents in,
    since you were the main designer of the electronics platform in the retro game.

#9 7 months ago
    Quoted from fredsmythson:

They have the first hand built RP King of Diamonds for sale now on Ebay for....... $25K !?!?

West Hills CA
    And the ebay seller's moniker
    Makes me think that game is directly out of Herb's gameroom.

#10 7 months ago
    Quoted from oldskool1969:

Are you kidding me? This is a FANTASTIC game to play and I thoroughly enjoy it. CLASSIC game with subtle tweaking

No I'm not kidding you. I didn't find it engaging or fun to play. If you do that's great. It takes all kinds.

For that money you can buy a completely restored real EM KoD. I wouldn't do that either because I'm not a big roto target guy. Especially those huge carousel rotos. They take up a ton of playfield space.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 42.00
    $ 7,999.99
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 13.00
    Playfield - Other
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Loop Combo Pinball
    $ 79.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Arcade Upkeep
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 12,500.00
    $ 149.99
    Lighting - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 55.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 38.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 17.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Protection
    UpKick Pinball
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    DevilsMuse Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside