(Topic ID: 286379)

Retirement! Hacks, tips and insights to get there faster.

By DadofTwins

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 971 posts
  • 158 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Zambonilli
  • Topic is favorited by 121 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“At what age do you plan on retiring?”

• 45-55 96 votes
    30%
  • 56-65 169 votes
    53%
  • 65 and over..... 53 votes
    17%

(318 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 4.22.38?PM (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
4450 weeks1 (resized).png
beach house (resized).JPG
house (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20230709-192240_Chrome (resized).jpg
20230627_184053 (resized).jpg
4466FF27-043B-4F7E-9819-F7994C92EF67 (resized).png
Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 8.32.29 AM (resized).png
IfYouCan.pdf (PDF preview)
B1B366D2-0D07-4A7B-A657-40B5715C2713 (resized).jpeg
giphy.gif
31B3CF0D-2D58-4C40-B74C-F88E00AE2FCD (resized).jpeg
22943002-7F86-449F-AF6F-D690739D5B98 (resized).jpeg
SPW (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slugmeister.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 3 years ago

Pay off your house.Seriously.That was the make /break point for myself and coworkers(similar seniority+age) when my airline offered a retirement package this summer.I know most of them who did not or could not take it regret it tremendously as healthcare was thrown in for the first time in 25 years.You don't want a mortgage payment on a fixed income.

#25 3 years ago

If your employer has a Cobra plan look into that in detail and plan accordingly.You can keep the same insurance/doctors/coverage.It's not cheap.For me and the wife I was looking at a minimum of 16K a year and the max out of pocket could of been 24K if you had issues.I worked a lot of overtime to set aside the $ for that just to get to medicare age.And for those who served in the military and did not retire(we both did 4 years active duty) you can get very affordable VA insurance but you will have to adjust your income down to a cutoff when you apply.Bottom line is you need health insurance or you could end up in dire straits down the line.

#267 3 years ago
Quoted from Jaeg:

I have a few years but I assume the switch from save to spend will be gradual and not sudden.

Nope.My last paycheck was May 31st.Then severance and vacation payout in June.I received my first pension check and 401k distribution the first week of August.It was quick transition and relatively easy.

P.S. I should point out that if you have been with your employer(and in their 401k) long term the"rule of 55" allows penalty free distributions before 59 1/2.I'm 58.

#269 3 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

What are the specifics to this?

What was explained to me by Fidelity if I recall was if your were in the same company 401k for 25+ years and were at least 55 years old there would be no early withdrawal penalty.I was in my 401k for 33 years.You setup a specific monthly amount.Federal tax will be applied but no 10% early penalty.Fidelity or whomever runs your 401k can check your eligibility prior to setting it up.

1 week later
#374 3 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

For me, I just paid off my mortgage and it was the absolute feeling of no-debt and the weight of "it all" being lifted off my shoulders and not being able to invest that sum of money I had in my hand at the time is ok for me. I could have tossed it all in a fund, but man, I feel like a million bucks not owing, that was Nov 1, I'm still living off the high

Nothing like being free and clear.In reality I'm my own bank.Only have to convince myself to buy something.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slugmeister.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/retirement-hacks-tips-and-insights-to-get-there-faster?tu=slugmeister and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.