(Topic ID: 286379)

Retirement! Hacks, tips and insights to get there faster.

By DadofTwins

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 971 posts
  • 158 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Zambonilli
  • Topic is favorited by 121 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“At what age do you plan on retiring?”

• 45-55 96 votes
    30%
  • 56-65 169 votes
    53%
  • 65 and over..... 53 votes
    17%

(318 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 4.22.38?PM (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
4450 weeks1 (resized).png
beach house (resized).JPG
house (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20230709-192240_Chrome (resized).jpg
20230627_184053 (resized).jpg
4466FF27-043B-4F7E-9819-F7994C92EF67 (resized).png
Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 8.32.29 AM (resized).png
IfYouCan.pdf (PDF preview)
B1B366D2-0D07-4A7B-A657-40B5715C2713 (resized).jpeg
giphy.gif
31B3CF0D-2D58-4C40-B74C-F88E00AE2FCD (resized).jpeg
22943002-7F86-449F-AF6F-D690739D5B98 (resized).jpeg
SPW (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nevus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from DadofTwins:

1. Early retirement!
2. Health insurance hacks for early retirement
3. Ways to get to retirement quicker
4. Investing/savings strategies
5. Unexpected things in retirement

This could not only be it’s own forum, it would make all of Pinside look like a single tweet.

1. Early retirement is not in my plans as I really enjoy my work. I have prepared for unplanned early retirement with disability insurance and savings.

2. I am unaware of any health insurance hacks. The challenging reality for most is that we get less healthy as we age so the cost of our health care goes up. You can’t change your DNA, but you can exercise, eat healthy food and avoid known unhealthy habits.

3. Getting to retirement quicker is a combination of saving more and spending less. There is no solid consistent shortcut outside of random twists of fate.

4. Slow and steady wins the race. Start early with retirement plan funding. Learn to truly understand what compound interest is and how to use it to you advantage. If you have debt, pay on it consistently and pay extra principle to decrease overall interest payments in the process. Use retirement opportunities to put away money. Small amounts now make big differences down the line.

5. Unexpected things are difficult to predict. A market crash, for example, will hurt you less if you have slowly changed your risk tolerance to less volatile products as you near retirement. The time to grow your funds is before retirement.

It’s pretty obvious by my answers that I’m conservative financially. My wife and I share a vision and work toward it together. We don’t always agree on spending habits, but we both agree on spending the money we have each month after debts are paid and retirement payments are made.

DadofTwins may I ask how old are your twins? In my experience kids get much more expensive before they leave home.

#129 3 years ago

A common theme here is reading. We have different circumstances and talents, but we all benefit from learning. Take in several opinions and theories before you declare the one you just read to be the answer. You are never too old to learn.

1 week later
#324 3 years ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

I retired at 42. Just read the previous few pages to unleash such secret secrets! Or visit Mrmoneymustache.com IF you really want to understand better. If not, keep on scrolling...

I get it. Live below your means. Pay off you debt. Don’t acquire new debt. Use index funds to avoid volatility.

These are all very reasonable principles that most can’t or won’t follow. I often say that most people have the same problems with money, just different numbers of zeros in the problems. I think there are many ways to achieve the goals of early retirement, but most require structure and discipline. I don’t really want early retirement, as I enjoy my work. I do want financial independence. I will have that by following goals suited to my situation for many years now.

3 months later
#495 2 years ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

This is a common argument. It's like saying "there's no need to pay a mechanic, doctor, or plumber. Just do it yourself."
As I've told many people in the past: You can amputate your finger. No, really, you can. You can learn to do it yourself. It might come out messy, but you might also learn a ton and do it properly without complication the first time. Or, you can pay a professional. I have no problem with you choosing either. Just educate yourself about BOTH choices and THEN choose. Price is only an issue in the absence of value. If you don't understand the value of good money management, the high expense ratio (price) will always seem too high.

Yup

6 months later
#650 2 years ago
Quoted from SNES:

What do people think about HSA contributions?

I’ve used it for years. With 4 kids, I have a never ending list of things to use it. Glasses, braces, wisdom teeth etc. plus, the other reasons listed before this. No reason to turn down tax free money.

2 years later
#957 4 months ago

If you switch to Geico while staying at a Holiday Inn Express, E. F. Hutton listens to you.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nevus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/retirement-hacks-tips-and-insights-to-get-there-faster?tu=nevus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.