(Topic ID: 286379)

Retirement! Hacks, tips and insights to get there faster.

By DadofTwins

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 971 posts
  • 158 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Zambonilli
  • Topic is favorited by 121 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“At what age do you plan on retiring?”

• 45-55 96 votes
    30%
  • 56-65 169 votes
    53%
  • 65 and over..... 53 votes
    17%

(318 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 4.22.38?PM (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
4450 weeks1 (resized).png
beach house (resized).JPG
house (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20230709-192240_Chrome (resized).jpg
20230627_184053 (resized).jpg
4466FF27-043B-4F7E-9819-F7994C92EF67 (resized).png
Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 8.32.29 AM (resized).png
IfYouCan.pdf (PDF preview)
B1B366D2-0D07-4A7B-A657-40B5715C2713 (resized).jpeg
giphy.gif
31B3CF0D-2D58-4C40-B74C-F88E00AE2FCD (resized).jpeg
22943002-7F86-449F-AF6F-D690739D5B98 (resized).jpeg
SPW (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hockeymag8.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#137 3 years ago

This thread is awesome - very inspiring and also slightly depressing as I am 55 and seemingly about in the middle of the folks on here. Mistake I made was not contributing to 401k early - trying to catch up a bit now. Also got the divorce so that was a setback but thankfully it was amicable so damage was minimized.

One suggestion for those that are paying on a mortgage is make extra payments. I took out a 15 year loan 6 years ago and did payments every 2 weeks so you get an extra principal payment annually that way and when I had extra coins paid more on it. I am now a year away max of paying off my crib. Super excited to get rid of that payment soon.

On that note my uncle years ago stated be careful on paying off your house as there are the scammers out there that "steal" the title and take a loan out on the property. I am pretty paranoid with all these scammers these days on all fronts. I have a HELOC which I will keep (no balance) in case of emergency and also to have the bank on the title to help protect against someone trying to F with my title when the crib is paid off.

Did any of you that have your house paid off take any extra steps to protect your title? I see some advertisements of title lock or something like that.

Thanks and good job to everyone on here!!

#196 3 years ago

I am doing the pay off and I am in finance. Yes.....leveraging coins is great....however the mental freeness of having no debt outweighs that for me.

My boss does the leveraging thing. Yesterday his wife's company got bought.....today she lost her $80k job which they count on. Huge mortgage and tax bills that were pretty easy 2 days ago and now he is rightfully worried.

I will invest the excess coins after I get the crib paid off. It's a risk tolerance question.

#218 3 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007: Still leaning toward may not though, she has been too bitchy lately.

Ummmmm the odds of that reversing over the long term may not be all that great

#280 3 years ago
Quoted from Nazz26:

Starting a very early career with NYPD or FDNY. Start saving early in the 457 plan (401k). Then retire and receive that pension at a early age. Then go to enjoy a hobby that can also make you a little extra pocket cash.

My cousin did just this - retired Lieutenant and now he does Security for a local college.

#302 3 years ago

This thread is awesome. Nice thing is on most of the topics outside of certain health issues you can course correct like on spending, 401k, etc. Never too late.

3 weeks later
#420 3 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Congrats, but I don’t understand how paying cash for things gets you closer to retirement.

I am allergic to interest expense - it raises the cost of anything even if it is a low rate. Granted low car loan rates are good deals but still raise the ultimate cash outlay for the car. If you can get to the position where you only buy something if you have the cash it will curtail your spending and give you the lowest price. On the flip side I try to string out cash outlays with no interest - 6 month same as cash, paying a medical deductible over 12 months, etc.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hockeymag8.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/retirement-hacks-tips-and-insights-to-get-there-faster?tu=hockeymag8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.