(Topic ID: 286379)

Retirement! Hacks, tips and insights to get there faster.

By DadofTwins

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 971 posts
  • 158 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Zambonilli
  • Topic is favorited by 121 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“At what age do you plan on retiring?”

• 45-55 96 votes
    30%
  • 56-65 169 votes
    53%
  • 65 and over..... 53 votes
    17%

(318 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 4.22.38?PM (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
4450 weeks1 (resized).png
beach house (resized).JPG
house (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20230709-192240_Chrome (resized).jpg
20230627_184053 (resized).jpg
4466FF27-043B-4F7E-9819-F7994C92EF67 (resized).png
Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 8.32.29 AM (resized).png
IfYouCan.pdf (PDF preview)
B1B366D2-0D07-4A7B-A657-40B5715C2713 (resized).jpeg
giphy.gif
31B3CF0D-2D58-4C40-B74C-F88E00AE2FCD (resized).jpeg
22943002-7F86-449F-AF6F-D690739D5B98 (resized).jpeg
SPW (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gjm7777.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#621 2 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

I’m the same, albeit a little older. I max out my 401k and Roth’s. Have a damn good salary yet drive a 10 year old vehicle. I have zero debt, house is paid off. Keep at it, it’ll be worth it. I’m 45 and now am seeing the rewards of long term investing.
And remember, most people who you see driving those BMWs are broke. I forget what book I read well over a decade ago, a Ramsey one I believe. Finished the book and sold my new truck, bought an old beater without a payment. I haven’t had a car payment since then.
I seriously think that most people don’t worry about retirement. They somehow expect to be able to get by on $200k in savings and social security. And that savings estimate may be generous….

Making the frugal and responsible choices now is what allows you to retire for the future. Most rich people who are smart lease cars, and only buy the ones which are destined to go up in price - and BMW is one of the fastest depreciating vehicles you could possibly own.

#630 2 years ago
Quoted from robm:

Really? I would have thought most rich people who are smart would pay cash for cars (and ensure they are affordable), so there are no interest costs buried in the lease payments? Then they could utilise the otherwise dead end interest payments to invest in appreciating assets? I would have thought its a lot easier to pick a stock/real estate appreciating asset thatn one that is a car?

Quoted from Lermods:

I don’t see any advantage to leasing if your goal is to retire early.
Take a 2022 Honda Pilot lease, $4300 down, $499/month payment, 36 months. Comes to about $618/month over life of the lease.
You can buy that same pilot for $42000 if you pay msrp. If you keep it 10 years, it costs you about 350/month (42000/120) AND the car has residual value, perhaps a quarter to a third of the purchase price you can recoup if you want to sell it. There will be some maintenance/repair, but you are saving $270/month (618-350), which is over $30k during that 10 year period. Pilots are pretty reliable so maintenance/repair should be pretty reasonable (you can buy an extended warranty from Honda out to 8 years/120k miles for about $1000 if repairs scare you). If you finance the vehicle, the numbers will go up in the first three years of the loan to account for interest (assuming 36 month loan), but still much lower than a lease.
Leasing only is desirable if you want that new car every three years, which is not consistent with many of the approaches discussed in this thread and does not put you closer to retirement relative to buying.

I was essentially responding to the types mentioned by PinJim with respect to luxury cars. The honda scenario makes total sense as those cars are reliable and have very good resale value.
My brother and his wife have been in the car industry many years working for luxury dealerships and in these places, people rarely buy the cars new and all in cash. Most prefer to lease/drive them a few years, dump them and get into another lease rather than take a hit up front and again on the massive depreciation. Of course this is a tactic for when you already have enough money to cover that kind of cost and want to drive a certain level of vehicle.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gjm7777.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/retirement-hacks-tips-and-insights-to-get-there-faster?tu=gjm7777 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.