(Topic ID: 286379)

Retirement! Hacks, tips and insights to get there faster.

By DadofTwins

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 971 posts
  • 158 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Zambonilli
  • Topic is favorited by 121 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“At what age do you plan on retiring?”

• 45-55 96 votes
    30%
  • 56-65 169 votes
    53%
  • 65 and over..... 53 votes
    17%

(318 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 4.22.38?PM (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
4450 weeks1 (resized).png
beach house (resized).JPG
house (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20230709-192240_Chrome (resized).jpg
20230627_184053 (resized).jpg
4466FF27-043B-4F7E-9819-F7994C92EF67 (resized).png
Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 8.32.29 AM (resized).png
IfYouCan.pdf (PDF preview)
B1B366D2-0D07-4A7B-A657-40B5715C2713 (resized).jpeg
giphy.gif
31B3CF0D-2D58-4C40-B74C-F88E00AE2FCD (resized).jpeg
22943002-7F86-449F-AF6F-D690739D5B98 (resized).jpeg
SPW (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dogford_studios.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#83 3 years ago

Consider what you would do with your time if you retired early. Sure your current job might suck, but being bored for 30 or 40 years might suck too. Especially on a shoestring budget.

If you had to give up travel, eating out, expensive hobbies to retire early, what are you going to be doing all day? Might be better to switch careers and do something you enjoy for 10-15 years.

#117 3 years ago

I think it would really suck to be bagging groceries at 80 because one retired during the prime earning years and they ended up spending more than they thought in retirement.

Unless you just want a part time job out of boredom or it's a cheap way to socialize.

All I know is I won't be hanging out with the FIRE folks in retirement. They'll expect me to pick up the tab or want to come visit me for a cheap vacation or simple won't want to leave to the house because you know - gas costs money, going out for lunch costs money, golf costs money, beach parking costs money...

Being frugal is a good idea but there is a difference between having money and being careful with it and being frugal because you have no other choice.

#121 3 years ago

The upside of hanging out with FIRE folks is you don't feel the need to keep up with the Jones. Peer pressure can be tough on the wallet if you hang with a spendy crowd.

I'm probably more of a natural FIRE folk anyway. We clip coupons, garden, go camping, go hiking, do a lot of activities that don't cost money.

#125 3 years ago

My father-in-law retired at 47. High school grad, never went to college. Worked for the state of CT in the highway department.

His tips would be:

- Very rarely go out to eat. Take out pizza on payday.
- Fix your own cars.
- Don't bother with things like cell phones, movie theaters or cable TV (until retirement)
- Buy a cheap piece of land and build your own house. Later buy some cheap land and build a weekend cabin.
- Work a lot of overtime.
- Retire with a state pension (good luck that that these days).
- Have a smart daughter who gets a full collage scholarship.
- Buy a two family house in the state you plan to retire in. Rent it out for 10 years. Then move into half and rent the other half.
- Sell the house and cabin back east and move west.
- Fly Fish 267 days out of the year in Montana.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dogford_studios.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/retirement-hacks-tips-and-insights-to-get-there-faster?tu=dogford_studios and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.