(Topic ID: 286379)

Retirement! Hacks, tips and insights to get there faster.

By DadofTwins

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 971 posts
  • 158 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Zambonilli
  • Topic is favorited by 121 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“At what age do you plan on retiring?”

• 45-55 96 votes
    30%
  • 56-65 169 votes
    53%
  • 65 and over..... 53 votes
    17%

(318 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 4.22.38?PM (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
4450 weeks1 (resized).png
beach house (resized).JPG
house (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20230709-192240_Chrome (resized).jpg
20230627_184053 (resized).jpg
4466FF27-043B-4F7E-9819-F7994C92EF67 (resized).png
Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 8.32.29 AM (resized).png
IfYouCan.pdf (PDF preview)
B1B366D2-0D07-4A7B-A657-40B5715C2713 (resized).jpeg
giphy.gif
31B3CF0D-2D58-4C40-B74C-F88E00AE2FCD (resized).jpeg
22943002-7F86-449F-AF6F-D690739D5B98 (resized).jpeg
SPW (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bmore-pinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#328 3 years ago
Quoted from bane:

If anyone had the secret to early retirement, they’d already be retired, and probably not posting here.

Not true at all, not everybody that can retire early chooses to do so.

#383 3 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

It seems like having one million dollars (with all of your asset totaled including house) doesn't really make you too wealthy these days. It might be enough to get by.
Also, I don't think these types of stats include any retired government workers or others who get a pension. They are basically all millionaires also. A lifetime pension of $3,000/month has a current value of about $1.1 million, assuming you get to take it for 30 years. Of course its worth even more if you live longer since with a pension you collect it all the way to the end.
If you have a pension of $6,000/month, that means an average person would need to save up $2.2 million to match that.

I agree, Million in assets is not what is used to be at all

2 weeks later
#421 3 years ago

Spending cash also puts you in a different mentality when you purchase large items
Writing a check for a $50,000 car will make you pause and consider what you are doing more then signing up for $700 monthly payments will

#427 3 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

If you need 50k a year to retire and have 25 rental units each clearing 2k a year, you're there. Not only that, most likely those houses have appreciated, and best of all, your tenants have paid them off for you.

Until Covid hits and 40% of your rentals stop paying and you can't evict them

8 months later
#527 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Great points, thanks for your insight. I was hoping to ask you a question if I may. As someone with a good 20 - 25 years left of work, I'm in my mid 30's, and ideally wanting to retire at 55 or 60 would you recommend staying the course with my current 401k allocations (almost all in stocks) or to move them into safer investment options before the next severe correction? In the past I've been told to stay the course with how many years I have left to work and to expect multiple corrections / recessions before I retire in hopefully 2041 - 2045. Is that still the best course of action?

I would honestly suggest consulting with an investment advisor that can dig into your finances and not a pinball forum for this type of advice.

9 months later
#706 1 year ago

this thread died, did everyone retire?

9 months later
#753 9 months ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

I'm currently working on my rental to prepare it for sale. After owning it 5 years with very minimal costs, I had to do some big repairs that I needed to take out a loan for. With the current loan rates I wasn't a fan, plus the stress of owning the rental and having to do work on it without much warning was starting to get to me. It will likely sell for 35% more than I paid for it and the income I made from rent more than covered the cost of the recent repairs, so I'm still happy I did it. But I'll be glad to no longer have the stress and work of owning a rental and put that money back into the market.

Exactly why I will never own rental real estate

#813 9 months ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

i think his case is the exception more than the rule. Even with the challenges he had, he came out ahead.
There is the occasional Bill Gates or Rockefeller, but the vast majority of wealthy people got that way from real estate.

I know a few people that got wealthy via real estate, but most wealthy people I know achieved it by starting a business or by aquireing equity in a company they work for.

4 months later
#936 5 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Expense ratios are also much lower with the index fund. Let's use a $200k 401k balance for example. With the target date fund there's a .12% expense ratio, the index fund .015%. That's $2,400 in fee's per year with the target date fund while the index fund fee's would be $300.

What am I missing .12% of 200k is $240 (0.0012 x 200,000)
$2,400 would be 1.2%

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bmore-pinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/retirement-hacks-tips-and-insights-to-get-there-faster?tu=bmore-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.