(Topic ID: 286379)

Retirement! Hacks, tips and insights to get there faster.

By DadofTwins

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 971 posts
  • 158 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Zambonilli
  • Topic is favorited by 121 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“At what age do you plan on retiring?”

• 45-55 96 votes
    30%
  • 56-65 169 votes
    53%
  • 65 and over..... 53 votes
    17%

(318 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 4.22.38?PM (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
4450 weeks1 (resized).png
beach house (resized).JPG
house (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20230709-192240_Chrome (resized).jpg
20230627_184053 (resized).jpg
4466FF27-043B-4F7E-9819-F7994C92EF67 (resized).png
Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 8.32.29 AM (resized).png
IfYouCan.pdf (PDF preview)
B1B366D2-0D07-4A7B-A657-40B5715C2713 (resized).jpeg
giphy.gif
31B3CF0D-2D58-4C40-B74C-F88E00AE2FCD (resized).jpeg
22943002-7F86-449F-AF6F-D690739D5B98 (resized).jpeg
SPW (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider OLDPINGUY.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#579 2 years ago

This is a conversation had by almost everyone, with many different answers.

Some things kinda overlooked is how you live now.
Are your bills all paid, or do you run expensive CC fees?
Where do you live, the costs, and taxes.

As I can only speak for what's around me,

Ive helped some, buy places in Florida under 100k, and as low as 30k, homestead as primary residence, and take advantage of no state income tax, no tax on SS, and up to 1K monthly per person for Healthcare aid prior to Medicare.

All depends on the lifestyle you want.

Living 1 mile from the beach was 1/4 the cost. Living in 1500 Sq feet is much less than 3000. Having a wife in on a budget saves the most.

Now in my 5th year of retirement, my friends count the days, and discuss if we can bike to a perfect beach, fish, golf, swim and cook more at home, how much are we missing, when we see others saving and working a whole year to visit and do the same?

My friends retire with 20k cost of living per person per year, and others need 100k plus per lifestyle.

It all starts with saving, and Living for less than you earn. Owning a paid for place is a big part.

Oh yes, create a business and enjoy the benefits of many things costing 30% to 50% less.

My 2 cents. It worked for me.

#615 2 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

What type of business do you own? Curious as you seem to be a rather intellectual individual…..and I’ve enjoyed our bantering in other threads. Honest respect….

I retired 5 years ago to focus on my health.
I owned and created Comet Pinball LEDs, 2 Jewelry Manufacturing Companies, and Real Estate Holdings.

I do a bit of business and financial consulting these days.

Thank you for the compliment! I read alot.

#617 2 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

You probably know my friend who buys those for his home service calls I don’t think we’ve ever seen a dud bulb over time whereas others have problems as time passes. I’ve converted about 20 of my machines with those and have plans for another 80 machines maybe more.

Im likely to remember many customers...all are greatly appreciated!

About 8 years ago, when there was "The Battle of the Bulbs", all Vendors for the Most part were using the same factory.
(I used 6)

Even 1 bulb bad out of 100, was a headache in time, emails, cost, and SM.
So I asked the Factory to set up a last minute QC, before packaging. I paid .01 cent more per Bulb.

I had very little defect issues after that. Sadly, my rejects ended up at other vendors.

9 months later
#712 1 year ago

Of all my work, biz I owned, etc, Real estate outperformed all, to reach retirement.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider OLDPINGUY.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/retirement-hacks-tips-and-insights-to-get-there-faster?tu=OLDPINGUY and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.