(Topic ID: 286379)

Retirement! Hacks, tips and insights to get there faster.

By DadofTwins

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 971 posts
  • 158 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Zambonilli
  • Topic is favorited by 121 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“At what age do you plan on retiring?”

• 45-55 96 votes
    30%
  • 56-65 169 votes
    53%
  • 65 and over..... 53 votes
    17%

(318 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 4.22.38?PM (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
4450 weeks1 (resized).png
beach house (resized).JPG
house (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20230709-192240_Chrome (resized).jpg
20230627_184053 (resized).jpg
4466FF27-043B-4F7E-9819-F7994C92EF67 (resized).png
Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 8.32.29 AM (resized).png
IfYouCan.pdf (PDF preview)
B1B366D2-0D07-4A7B-A657-40B5715C2713 (resized).jpeg
giphy.gif
31B3CF0D-2D58-4C40-B74C-F88E00AE2FCD (resized).jpeg
22943002-7F86-449F-AF6F-D690739D5B98 (resized).jpeg
SPW (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JethroP.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

After she lost that insurance she looked into the ACA(obamacare). She pays 50.00 a month now for really good health insurance.

Boy....I don't know how people get such cheap insurance. I pay almost $800 a month for my wife's insurance, and that's the super high deductible. Shopped Obamacare and it cost even more. Luck for me I'm on Medicare or I'd pay that much or more for me.

#55 3 years ago

My father's saying (he's long passed) was "it takes money to make money."

So I started maxing out my 401k when I began working after college. You don't miss that 10% savings if you never see it. Retired a few years ago. No financial worries. Gave the same advice to my daughter when she graduated college. Told her if she maxed out her 401K she'll never miss it, and when she is about 41 she'll be a millionaire. So she turned 40 last year and it came to be....It's that easy.

I believe in saving for the future. Always saved, never planned on Social Security. Hoped I would live to enjoy my savings. Thank God I made it to retirement and living the dream!

Could I buy a million dollar mansion? Yes, but I don't want to.
Could I buy a Ferrari or Rolls Royce? Yes, but I don't want to.
Could I buy a NIB pinball machine? Yes, but I don't want to.

My advice....start early, save, invest, automatically if your employer has a plan.

#155 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

— An asshole and boat owner

Hey asshole:
If I come out there to visit will you take me water skiing?
Just asking for a friend.

#176 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Don’t pay some dude $150 to clean your car when you can do it yourself.

Could I git you to do mine for say..... $75 instead?

#190 3 years ago

Back in 2000 I bought a new Mercedes. A few days later the owner of the dealership called me and said "Mr. Jethro, we don't like people like you." I said "WTF"? He said "you keep your cars too long!" I had traded in a 10 year old model.

Haha. My current one is now 18 years old.

#253 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Also as noted SS is not subject to income tax

WRONG. SS is taxable income.

#293 3 years ago

My entire working career I never had a budget. I just saved and lived within my means, never borrowed money except for my home mortgage. Well, I did have a car loan on the first few cars I bought, but after that, I started paying cash for cars. Cars were nothing fancy. Think of it this way: a ROLEX cost $9,000. A no name watch cost $5. They both tell time. In fact, the $5 watch may keep better time than the ROLEX. I was more concerned about savings than status. Had jobs where I could wear blue jeans and plaid flannel shirts.

When I retired I was concerned about cash flow and spending. Would I have enough? The advice I received from a friend was to count your money the first of each month. So I did, and I still do. The remarkable thing is, my net worth has continued to increase each month during retirement. Just own one home, paid off of course. Drive a brand new car. Don't want to be a landlord. Haven't had to touch the IRAs. They just grow and grow. It takes money to make money.

What worked for me may not be everyone's cup of tea. If I could work and do retirement all over again, the only thing I would do differently is retire earlier! But I have no regrets. Retirement is great!

1 week later
#358 3 years ago
Quoted from Hench4Life:

Why would someone, in the current low rate environment, pay of their mortgage early?

Paying off your mortgage isn't always about making a financial decision. It's sometimes about the feeling you have when you are debt free.

Leveraging real estate has made many people "rich." I think most people who have paid off their mortgage get that. They just don't want the hassle of making payments, dealing with the paperwork of having a mortgage, or they don't have the desire to try to make more money.

1 month later
#472 3 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

one of the members of my family retired as a lt colonel, vietnam vet. I think his pension is maybe $2k a month, maybe less. that's around the poverty line. He's been retired for probably 25 years. His wife still works and I think he does some part time teaching. I'm assuming he collects SS too, but I don't know his finances in detail..

A US Army LTC with over 20 years will make half of thier base pay. Base pay currently is around $9000 a month. So, they will make at least $4500 a month in retirement.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JethroP.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/retirement-hacks-tips-and-insights-to-get-there-faster?tu=JethroP and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.