(Topic ID: 286379)

Retirement! Hacks, tips and insights to get there faster.

By DadofTwins

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 971 posts
  • 158 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Zambonilli
  • Topic is favorited by 121 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“At what age do you plan on retiring?”

• 45-55 96 votes
    30%
  • 56-65 169 votes
    53%
  • 65 and over..... 53 votes
    17%

(318 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 4.22.38?PM (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
4450 weeks1 (resized).png
beach house (resized).JPG
house (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20230709-192240_Chrome (resized).jpg
20230627_184053 (resized).jpg
4466FF27-043B-4F7E-9819-F7994C92EF67 (resized).png
Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 8.32.29 AM (resized).png
IfYouCan.pdf (PDF preview)
B1B366D2-0D07-4A7B-A657-40B5715C2713 (resized).jpeg
giphy.gif
31B3CF0D-2D58-4C40-B74C-F88E00AE2FCD (resized).jpeg
22943002-7F86-449F-AF6F-D690739D5B98 (resized).jpeg
SPW (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DBLM.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#23 3 years ago

I don't aspire to retire early. Instead, I look to live a great and fulfilling life. My wife and I have great career positions and do all of the typical things (no credit card debit, no loans, max 401ks, invest smartly and aggressively, etc). However, we wanted to up level our lifestyle and move towards the water. This is much more expensive than our prior house but our thought was let's do it now when we can enjoy what our new residence and the lifestyle associated with it can afford while we are young and while our daughter is at home. I have worked with too many people that either die young or by the time they can go buy a beach house they are too old to enjoy it.

I am in the young part of my prime earnings period and in a field where you don't age out. I love what I do. My prior sales engineer that I was paired with retired at 75. He could have retired many times earlier but he said that the work that we do kept him young and active. This always sticks with me. Seen too many people retire and then their minds go to pot due to not having any purpose in their life. A lot of people when they retire have the mindset of running out the clock. Not me.

Will see where life goes for my family. We are fortunate to be in the position that we are in. If I have to work longer or one day decide to downsize that is fine. But I am living my best life now while preparing for the future, and don't have any artificial timelines tied to it.

#41 3 years ago

I am not a FIRE subscriber (does not fit into my goals or situation) but some of the principals are really sound. As a somewhat controversial book read, I would suggest Money by Tony Robbins. One of the big parts of that book is to really determine what is important to you and to figure out your number. He runs through an example about buying a plane vs having enough money to fly first class, and the enjoyment vs cost and upkeep associated with both. It shaped my thinking a lot on what is important to me and made me realize that my number is not as big as I thought it had to be. It is a really good mindset book.

#56 3 years ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

"And for anyone who says they never want to retire, I ask: If they stopped paying you tomorrow and you didn't need the money, would you still want to do that job? Or is there perhaps something else you'd rather be doing?

Yes. I am doing what I am great at and love to do. It is very fulfilling to me and is doing great good for so many, especially right now.

#94 3 years ago
Quoted from DadofTwins:

Why does retiring early equate to living on a shoestring budget and being bored and staying home for 30 years?.

Because a lot of the FIRE methodology advocates that. It is great for teaching you frugality and to really understand the intrinsic value of things. I have bigger aspirations and dreams than what FIRE will allow me to do. I refuse to compromise my dreams and my reality to just retire early. I think a lot of people equate retirement with happiness but I have not seen that to be the case. I am fortunate to have good friends and mentors that have 8 figures of wealth and they are still pushing everyday. It keeps them excited, it gives them purpose, and it allows them to live out their dreams. Its not for everybody, but it does suit me, and serves as a guide map for behaviors that I want to model.

#108 3 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

When you start thinking in terms of ROI on happiness, some choices become pretty natural. Even more so if you convert dollars to time spent sitting in your chair at work, even more so when it's compounded at 4-8% yearly.

I agree with your conclusion but for a different reason. This picture represents what I am working for for my family. This is not meant to be a flex, but instead represents my "why". I dreamed of this moment for 18 years and made it happen 3 years ago. I am 43 and have this now. My family and I love what this allows us to do and the joy that being here brings. I am also 20+ years younger than my neighbors. To a person, they all congratulated us and told us they wished they lived their dreams earlier.

Obviously, this view and property comes at a price. The price is high, but for me, it is worth it. We found a way undervalued property and put our own sweat equity in it to make it a dream home. Still a ways go go, but this is how you manifest dreams into reality. It also is a great investment. It has been appreciating greatly every year since we purchased. If things go bad and something apocalyptic happens to my finances, I can eject and be more than fine.

Since moving here, I have lost over 20 pounds, my blood pressure has gone down, and just seeing the water calms me down every day. My level of happiness has sky rocketed, and so has that of my family. You can't put a price on that.

Different strokes for different folks, and everybody's drivers and situations are different. I would recommend to everybody to stop focusing on timelines and instead focus on your why. Once you understand your why, it will guide your actions on the how and the what you do to secure your's and your family's futures.

IMG_0123 (resized).jpgIMG_0123 (resized).jpg
#119 3 years ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

You don't have to wait for retirement! When Covid subsides you can come hang out with some FIRE'd folks in the state next door. We can leave the house, I'll buy you lunch, we'll even drive that gas guzzling car! But we're not golfing. I have my limits
I also will have to check my schedule, because although I don't bag groceries I do drive a day a week or so for the local VW, Acura and Audi dealership. For fun. They even pay me minimum wage while I listen to podcasts, talk with family on the phone, and experience $80k vehicles that I could afford to buy but choose not to. Besides, fancy leather seats always smell better when they're new!

You are not really selling me on this FIRE thing...

#144 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

You dont need to be an asshole and do stupid shit like buy a boat

“Ouch.”

— An asshole and boat owner

#148 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Well no offense meant... I get it some people like boats but allot of people buy them as a trophy and barely use them.
that is based on my experience with everyone I know with a boat constantly complaining how much of a cash suck it is.

All good. I live on the water so use it a lot. I come buy being an asshole honestly.

#149 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

On 529s, if your kid doesn’t use all the funds you can roll it to another person, or yourself for educational expenses up to 1 time per year. Hypothetically, you could keep the money in the 529 if your kid drops out of school and save it for your grandkid. You remain in control of the money.
If your kid is earning an income (they are not at 6) you can drop money into a ROTH IRA up to the max and at a rate equal to that they are getting paid. If your kid works at McDonalads when they turn 16 you can drop $6000 in their name if they earn 6k that year. You can also open a “Custodial Account” in their name. Money grows and is taxable, but it will automatically go over to them when they are 18 or 21 depending on state law. All in all, I believe the 529 is the way to go. Maximums vary by state, but if set up right you could fund your children and children’s’ children education.

You might consider pre-paid college trusts if your state offers them. @sataneatscheese, Maryland does, and it might be something that you look into. Essentially, your trust will pay for 4 years of college in a state school, or give you the equivalent to go out of state. The trust can be used for any accredited educational program, not just college. Every year you make a payment you get a tax break (in the case of Maryland, 2500 a year). I put 11K down, and pay 2,700 a year, so effectively I am paying about 15K for tuition. This can be supplemented with a 529, which we have done. If your child does not go to college or gets a scholarship, you can get your principal back.

#161 3 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Hey asshole:
If I come out there to visit will you take me water skiing?
Just asking for a friend.

You would probably be better wake surfing behind this but I am sure we can figure something out

2 weeks later
#338 3 years ago

I fully admit I am not as well versed in FIRE and Mrmoneymustache as others, although I did research it a bit based upon this thread. Are there correlations between income and the type of career that you have wether or not you are and adherent of these methodologies? My supposition is that high earners in white collar careers are less likely to fit into these camps, but do not have any firm basis for this.

#341 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Watch the mrmoneymustache video in post #327.
Same principles apply no matter one's income. He compared a $40k income with a $400k income.
It's more how you live, save and invest than how much you earn. A high earner could have nothing at retirement age if he doesn't plan.

I asked a different question. My question is what is the make up of FIRE/Mrmoneymustache adherents, not if it is applicable. arcyallen provided some insight into that.

#346 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Well, that's not exactly what you asked originally. You asked nothing of the make up.
But I see it's what you're asking now in order to clarify.

It was, but no need to quibble. Directly, is it 60K a year mechanics, 125K a year engineers, or 300K+ professionals that make up the bulk of this movement? As arcyallen said, I could see engineers being in that sweet spot of income and personality traits for doing this but wanted to ask the question. I get that these principles are applicable to any income level, but wanted to see where the rubber meets the road. I would think that too low of a income would not allow for the percentage of savings to allow you to reach this type of plan, and if you are making a bunch you might have other spending habits and career ambitions where this type of lifestyle would not be as attractive. Just genuinely curious with what types of people this lands with and make up the core of the movement.

#381 3 years ago

Here is a good video from Chris Hogan talking about how over 8% of adult American's are millionaires and the 5 steps that they take to get there. Motherhood and apple pie, but good reinforcement.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/09/more-than-8-percent-of-american-adults-are-millionaires-heres-how-they-got-wealthy.html

3 weeks later
#459 3 years ago

Hey OP, without knowing your specific circumstances, here are some general things for you to consider:

Understand the tax brackets and how they work. That appears to be new info to you, but should help ease your mind.

People mentioned charitable donations. Keep in mind, that does not just have to be cash. Clothes, appliances, etc. There are calculators out there for helping to value your donations. Get receipts.

Maximize deductions. Medical, schooling, unreimbursed work expenses, etc. This is all dependent upon if you itemize or just take the standard deduction. If you itemize, you tend to have greater avenues to explore.

If you have your own business, there are a variety of things that you can expense to lower your tax burden.

I would probably recommend talking with an accountant if you really want to get into this topic. Keep in mind, a lot of this depends upon your income level and goals.

As your income and assets appreciate to certain levels, you can start looking at ways to pass wealth to your family through things like trusts.

Keep in mind, getting bumped from one tax bracket to another means that you are making more money. This is a good thing, and something to keep in perspective.

Certain situations can have tax advantages where buying a vacation house, boat/rv, or a rental property make sense. Would recommend talking to a professional on these matters.

8 months later
#531 2 years ago

One of the best things you can do is look at you mortgage rates if you have not done so lately. Just locked in 2.375% on a 30 year fixed. I would say that this is probably a significant outlier but it never hurts to see where you are and what you can get.

#533 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

how did you find it?
I'm in at 2.5% but it's a 10 year ARM so in 9 years it'll reset.

My financial advisor called me. This is based upon a long standing banking and investing relationship, so I don't think this is the norm. Talking with the mortgage guy today, there are some deals out there to be had, so it probably does not hurt to ask around. I was already at 2 7/8 (great rate IMO), but this was a no brainer.

#558 2 years ago

At 44, I am not counting on Social Security being there for me. It will be just in addition to my retirement plans. Does anybody else have this mindset?

#569 2 years ago
Quoted from Ribs:

Nope. Not in the slightest. This dire financial cliff does not exist. Though I would not recommend a plan to solely rely on social security either.

I think you misunderstood. I do not count on SS and have my own retirement plan charted out. It will just be a bonus to me.

#572 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Not me. I paid into it for 44 years. I would like to collect my share or as a minimum, receive a lump-sum refund.

You are at retirement age; I am not. I am not planning on full benefits (or any benefits for that matter) being available when I get to retirement.

No such thing as a lump-sum refund, but I wish there was.

#577 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

You are not planning for any benefits?
Did you not read my post that said *most* payments are paid out of ongoing taxes.
In the future there will people paying into payroll taxes just like now, 12.4% of all wages are paid into the system to be paid out to those taking benefits. That 12.4% in not going away, it will like be higher than 12.4% in the future, at one point it was just 2% tax now it's 12.4% the tax rate only goes up it has been increased numerous times in my lifetime so it's most likely to go up again. Also the amount of salary subject to tax is going up every year, it used to cap out at $60K when I started working it's not caped out at $140K or something and some say it may have no cap in the future that all means more payroll tax is collected every year. It's always going up so even if the trust fund goes to zero there will always be constant flow of a trillion of dollars to pay out every year.
Look at this graph 89% of all taxes are paid out from ongoing taxes as well as tax on the SS benefits. That is not going away, the payments to retirees will always be there as long as the government can collect taxes there will be benefits to pay out.
[quoted image]

How many times and ways do I have to say no? My financial future is independent of Social Security. If I get Social Security, that is just a cherry on top.

#582 2 years ago
Quoted from Hench4Life:

Let me try real quick to unf^ck this. It is possible to plan for no social security benefits while also understanding that rumors of its demise are grossly exaggerated. I can only speak for me, but My retirement plan is independent of social security. It’s not that I believe it will become insolvent, or partisan politics will keep the necessary adjustments from being made. I just prefer to plan for the worst case. If SS is available when/if I make it, then I’ll be buying NIB pins and increasing international travel.
I have the same belief for my pension. I’m not counting on it, but it’ll be damn nice if it’s there.

Exactly

1 week later
#624 2 years ago

“Rich” is a subjective term based upon your situation. I was visiting in-laws in the Midwest this weekend with assets in the 1.5M range or so and are in their mid to late seventies. Everything is paid off and they have appreciating assets and are set for the rest of their lives. My MIL stated several times that she was “rich”.

Where I live, they would be considered “wealthy”. I consider “rich” in the DC area to be more along the lines of 5M or more. Again, all subjective.

#659 2 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

What was the math behind the 86 points? Years of service, age,...?

Point calculator for you. https://kpers.org/active/retirementbenefits/85pointsK1.html

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DBLM.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/retirement-hacks-tips-and-insights-to-get-there-faster?tu=DBLM and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.