(Topic ID: 286379)

Retirement! Hacks, tips and insights to get there faster.

By DadofTwins

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 971 posts
  • 158 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Zambonilli
  • Topic is favorited by 121 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“At what age do you plan on retiring?”

• 45-55 96 votes
    30%
  • 56-65 169 votes
    53%
  • 65 and over..... 53 votes
    17%

(318 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 4.22.38?PM (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
4450 weeks1 (resized).png
beach house (resized).JPG
house (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20230709-192240_Chrome (resized).jpg
20230627_184053 (resized).jpg
4466FF27-043B-4F7E-9819-F7994C92EF67 (resized).png
Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 8.32.29 AM (resized).png
IfYouCan.pdf (PDF preview)
B1B366D2-0D07-4A7B-A657-40B5715C2713 (resized).jpeg
giphy.gif
31B3CF0D-2D58-4C40-B74C-F88E00AE2FCD (resized).jpeg
22943002-7F86-449F-AF6F-D690739D5B98 (resized).jpeg
SPW (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BrianBannon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#154 3 years ago

As others have mentioned, healthcare premiums are a significant cost and should be a part of your planning process. I retired about ten years ago at 49 and did as much due diligence as possible for healthcare. Of course, at the time ACA was rolling out and I couldn't get a real straight answer from anyone on what future premiums would look like. This year we are paying over $20k in premiums for a family of four, with my wife on her own policy through the ACA. Keep in mind, ACA subsidies are only available for those whose incomes are below a certain threshold. Our income has always been above that threshold amount so we have never seen a nickel from it. I haven't had a mortgage payment in a number of years, but my healthcare premiums have taken its place.

#174 3 years ago
Quoted from Enaud:

I
Health insurance is the big unknown for me. In order to qualify for ACA you have some strict income guidelines you have to stay within. Make too much money and you lose your subsidy. Make too little income and you'd be forced on Medicaid (if you had no assets. But hey, we have pinball machines, so we have assets and that's a strike out.). Make too little income and you get no subsidy and are faced with horrible expenses. Here's a link to a good explanation of how the ACA works. It's complicated and takes some time to navigate through. But it should help answer your questions.
https://www.kff.org/health-reform/issue-brief/explaining-health-care-reform-questions-about-health/
My goal is - in addition to the small pensions I'll receive at retirement, withdraw enough retirement funds so that my income falls above the 138% of the FPL(Federal Poverty Level). Small income, and withdraw from taxable accounts for expenses, while still qualifying for ACA. (I'm using Ken Steiner's actuarial spreadsheets to determine how long my assets will last.)
Regarding how long it will last, none of us know how long WE will last. So, back to the actuarial tables, I see the need to plan for the money to last up to age 94. Likely won't make it that long, but it would be better to have some money at that age than to have none.

I haven't read all of the retirement information out there today, but I haven't seen this point covered too well in things I read in the past. Most of these tables and plans don't account very well for negative events. Not talking about black swan events here, but things that do happen more to older adults than younger ones. Did you guys know that 1 in 4 adults 65+ falls every year? Car accidents, that same accident that a young adult may walk away from with a couple bruises can break bones in an older person. Normal chores around the house can become more demanding. For us guys, setting up or breaking down a pinball machine should become a two person job.

Why bring this up? In my last ten years of retirement, my wife has fallen 4 times with broken bones on three occasions. Try as I might, I just can't always be there to catch her. I have read and implemented fall safety items, yet some people just aren't as steady on their feet. In each of these events we had to spend much more money on healthcare related items in that year than was typical. Insurance policies covered a lot of stuff but deductibles have to be satisfied and some care is just not covered.

So when I see a post trying to nail income right down to the gnat's ass, I gotta say that things are going to come up. Can't plan for everything, but you have to place flexibility in the plan. Most everyone understands the benefits of trying to stay healthy and the actions needed. OTOH, not as many people seem to understand the risks and events that impact health as we age, some of which may be out of our hands. Outside of healthcare, things are going to break or need to be replaced and they won't always last as long as they should. In short, sh*t happens, be prepared for it.

2 weeks later
#399 3 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

The peace of mind argument is perfectly valid, so long as you're conscious that you're putting a $ value to it.
One of the things I think most people pay too much for, and that I hadn't really thought about until reading Mr Money Mustache is insurance.
Insurance is basically:
how likely it is something will happen to you X how much it costs when it does X insurance company overhead = your cost
Plus, the insurance company invests all that capital to make even more money.
So, it makes sense to get insurance for stuff that is unlikely to happen but will ruin you if it does, with a pretty high deductible that will not ruin you if you have to pay it, but it doesn't make sense to get insurance for something very likely to happen and that will not ruin you, because you are better off putting the money aside yourself and invest it and not pay the insurance overhead.
Unless you want to pay extra for the peace of mind, which you may or may not want to do.
Also to keep going on this riff, the old "you can't afford a used car" adage is basically insurance, peace of mind and not dealing with the hassle - you are sure to pay, say, 30k and not have to deal with the unexpected maintenance and breakdowns, but if you can afford a 30k car, you can certainly afford a 3k one with 1-2k of maintenance here and there.

Insurance is one of those things that you hope you never need to use, but are glad you have it when things happen to you and yours. Health insurance has been mentioned in this thread a few times and in my mind it is a necessary item. I agree with the high deductible health care plan idea with catastrophic coverage included. Sure, I don't like paying the premiums either. MMM has different views on the topic of health insurance and I think this reflects his age and life experience to date. Regardless of our current health and health habits, more stuff happens to us as we age.

Regarding cars, I just replaced a 19 year old car with a 3 year old car and have no regrets. It isn't just peace of mind, it is about safety, too. Newer cars have more safety features. Also, it just wasn't worth the risk of having a car breakdown on the highway, or in an unsafe area.

2 weeks later
#442 3 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

People must have very high income to retire so young, and no kids?

Responding to the no kids part, we have two children. This area is a real wild card for those with families. Hard to know where Billy or Susie might want to go to school when they are still in their primary years. Sure, you can look at in-state schools as a good indicator of cost, but more than likely that estimate will be on the lower side. Also, who says that your children will even want to attend your in-state school? Mine were not as receptive to that option and they both raised good arguments against it.

Been retired now for nearly ten years and I can tell you that higher education costs for your children should be an important part of your planning process. I don't know any parents that would want to limit the future of their children just so they can shave some time off of their working life. Depending on the ability of your children to capture any grants or scholarships, you may well be looking at a big tuition bill. Just something to keep in mind. I am in the middle of paying for school costs for my youngest right now and this year those costs will easily exceed $30k, and she has a scholarship so we are paying about half of the true costs.

I have read through some of the blogs out there of the early retired and found them short on actual experience and long on guesstimate in this area. Certainly understand that because they just haven't lived through it yet.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BrianBannon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/retirement-hacks-tips-and-insights-to-get-there-faster?tu=BrianBannon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.